Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sard posted:

The best way to manage power is probably to purchase Voice Attack and set up some goofy phrases to yell constantly during a fight.
Voice Attack is great. I don't even remember what half of my binds are because I've got it set up to do so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Which is practical but how much cooler would it be if air support flew in upside down with top-loaded hardpoints blasting away?

*cue Danger Zone*

This is a good time to remind folk G force effects are modeled on your virtual self and you will start to see red in your vision when you begin crossing that threshold.

If you have a Viper decked for speed you can test it by pitching down in a tight circle and boosting.

Sometimes Frontier is :frontear: and sometimes they are amazing

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
How do you not feel like you have gone completely bonkers while yelling poo poo at a computer screen?

I mean besides the normal HA HA EAT poo poo when you Clipper into an Eagle at full boost and they immediately explode

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I don't have voice attack because my partner always gives me enough poo poo about playing spacetrucks I don't need to add barking like a tourettes victim on top of that

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is the imperial cutter playable if you get the 1.5 beta? also do they make you grind for credits as usual? If that thing is clipper-fast I'm selling all my ships for one when 1.5 hits live

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is the imperial cutter playable if you get the 1.5 beta? also do they make you grind for credits as usual? If that thing is clipper-fast I'm selling all my ships for one when 1.5 hits live

Not a beta player, but I believe they make it so the new ships are cheaper specifically so people can buy them and, y'know, test them out.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
In the past everything has been reduced 90%.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Adult Sword Owner posted:

How do you not feel like you have gone completely bonkers while yelling poo poo at a computer screen?

Sometimes you just gotta give no fucks.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Want to remind everyone that these first planets we will be on don't have atmospheres and thus you don't have to just fly upside-down

You can fly nose down reversing to keep away from the surface while bombarding the gently caress out of bases :getin:

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

KakerMix posted:

Want to remind everyone that these first planets we will be on don't have atmospheres and thus you don't have to just fly upside-down

You can fly nose down reversing to keep away from the surface while bombarding the gently caress out of bases :getin:

I assume that we're going to spend a lot of time trying to jump SRVs over ships mid-flight? I hope it's possible to balance an SRV on a Python thrust up into space!

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

KakerMix posted:

Plasma just wants to be free!

Also if you want some serious cash bring a Hauling ASP to Robigo, I just made 41 million spacebux in an hour and a half.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 11, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I know nothing about Elite Dangerous but what does the Metal Gear Solid quote have to do with the thread? Its killing me.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

deadlyrhetoric posted:

I assume that we're going to spend a lot of time trying to jump SRVs over ships mid-flight? I hope it's possible to balance an SRV on a Python thrust up into space!

A rainbow road racetrack of vibrant Type 9s end-to-end in the sky.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Avocados posted:

I know nothing about Elite Dangerous but what does the Metal Gear Solid quote have to do with the thread? Its killing me.

CQC in MGS3.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

timn posted:

I actually created macros to autmatically shift to 4 pips in one option and 1 pip in the other 2 options with a single button press. It's much nicer than playing DDR with my hat switch constantly, and I actually switch power during combat more often since it's not such a bear.

You could get spergier with macros for other pip splits like 4-2-0, but 4-1-1 seems pretty sufficient in general.

The pip system dialing is one of the small things I very much like in the game. The easy way to dial them (left, up, right, down to cycle) makes me feel like doing a special move in MC or SF each and every time. Yes, it might take more time than needed if you are deep in combat (multitasking can be a bitch), but the audio feedback from the three different tones is engraved in my head for a number of moves now, like the way I remember dialing some well known numbers on my telephone.

I am weird.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

chappey posted:

CQC in MGS3.

Yeah, I know Volgin says it once or twice. But is there CQC in Elite Dangerous?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Groggy nard posted:

Plasma just wants to be free!

Also if you want some serious cash bring a Hauling ASP to Robigo, I just made 41 million spacebux in an hour and a half.

Details pls

Also what was your T

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Avocados posted:

CQC is the name of Elite's arena PvP mode.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dante80 posted:

The pip system dialing is one of the small things I very much like in the game. The easy way to dial them (left, up, right, down to cycle) makes me feel like doing a special move in MC or SF each and every time. Yes, it might take more time than needed if you are deep in combat (multitasking can be a bitch), but the audio feedback from the three different tones is engraved in my head for a number of moves now, like the way I remember dialing some well known numbers on my telephone.

I am weird.

I feel like the pip system is right on the edge of "things it's reasonable to expect people to gently caress with in-combat"; the module system creeps a little over that edge, but it depends on your build so it's less of an issue. I'd really like to see module and pip preset commands built into the game itself, but QoL and :frontear:.

That said

whenever I get irked at something like that in E:D, I just remind myself that some people are really excited to have to do poo poo like this mid-combat instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRZNPH_81QM

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Avocados posted:

Yeah, I know Volgin says it once or twice. But is there CQC in Elite Dangerous?

CQC is literally the name of the 1.4 expansion of Elite: Dangerous. It owns, even though I suck at it.

Details pls

Also what was your T

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/03A5A5A4D4C5D5C-------02000005374202020101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Hauling%20Asp
88tons, just enough shields and chaff to never give a gently caress about being interdicted while you boost away and high wake out, and the Fuel Scoop is big enough to refuel your tank between single jumps by the time the standard FSD cooldown ends.

My personal trick is to only take Haul missions if you can get at least two of them to the same station at once. My record is nine dropoff missions to the same station.

I've also gotten really, really good at dropping NPC's into stars as they try to get behind me for an interdiction.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Any recommendations for a system to move to and start stacking kill missions to rank up with the Federation? I know Tun's good for donations, but it didn't seem to have much in the way of combat and assassination.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sard posted:

Any recommendations for a system to move to and start stacking kill missions to rank up with the Federation? I know Tun's good for donations, but it didn't seem to have much in the way of combat and assassination.

Sothis/Cleos.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Because it would be totally unrealistic garbage, and any SpaceNavy would just stock large unkillable ships

Literally zero (0) successful space games (tbh I can't think of an unsuccessful one but whatever) have this be a thing. It's always tradeoffs. Otherwise the poopsockers are completely untouchable and that's even only fun for 5% of those people.

We kinda went over this already but I firmly believe the entire game is balanced around the large ships being untouchable but by other large ships, since there isn't anything in the game mechanics that prevents them from getting their guns on target, fixed or not.

I mean I don't disagree that ideally things would have tradeoffs like these, but the fact remains that this game doesn't have them. In addition, PVP in this game is almost entirely consensual and so sparse that I just don't think it's even a consideration on Frontier's radar that good players in eagles can't beat slightly less good players in Anacondas. So the only thing a poopsocker is poopsocking for is, for about 99% of the game, ships to better beat on NPCs with.

Also lol realism in a video game, who cares

Edit: They really seem to have given CQC some real balancing attempts, tho, even if it's by constraining the base hulls or what have you.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 11, 2015

timn
Mar 16, 2010
To be fair, a lot of game is already designed around a sort of pseudo-realism and attention to detail to help immersion and suspension of disbelief.

Saying "lol realism" is kind of off point because that's a big part of what makes this game still feel cool despite the shallow and poorly balanced gameplay.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I disagree, since it entirely depends on where you draw the line as to where your immersion breaks. I just happen to draw it at 'it's a video game'. Otherwise I'd be stuck at instant repairs, visible laser beams, maximum speeds, instant loading of cargo, instant repairs, hyperdrives or what have you.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Xae posted:

Sothis/Cleos.

Holy poo poo that's farther than I thought, even after reading all the smuggling posts. I found something closer that might work, though: Arexe. It's in the Lave area, full of missions aligned with the Federation, and so far all of the combat ones have been situated in Orrere.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Yeh, but throwing realism out the window for...actually, what's the benefit of the biggest ships instantly popping anything smaller again? That doesn't sound like a lot of fun to play if you are instantly outclassed by someone who poopsocked harder. I mean ffs they in theory "balanced" higher guns by not increasing the damage but increasing penetration specifically so they don't instantly pop smaller ships, yet mechanically being able to non stop track and attack is still there.

Groggy nard posted:

CQC is literally the name of the 1.4 expansion of Elite: Dangerous. It owns, even though I suck at it.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/03A5A5A4D4C5D5C-------02000005374202020101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Hauling%20Asp
88tons, just enough shields and chaff to never give a gently caress about being interdicted while you boost away and high wake out, and the Fuel Scoop is big enough to refuel your tank between single jumps by the time the standard FSD cooldown ends.

My personal trick is to only take Haul missions if you can get at least two of them to the same station at once. My record is nine dropoff missions to the same station.

I've also gotten really, really good at dropping NPC's into stars as they try to get behind me for an interdiction.

So just regular "Take this poo poo to another station" missions? My rank sucks but I can surely handle that, thanks dude

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Yeh, but throwing realism out the window for...actually, what's the benefit of the biggest ships instantly popping anything smaller again? That doesn't sound like a lot of fun to play if you are instantly outclassed by someone who poopsocked harder.

There's no benefit, but there also isn't a drawback - again, I don't believe they balanced the ships/guns thinking about how people would use them against other people. If this were an actual MMO instead of a 'let's try to get in the same instance as our enemy' game I'd agree with you. But this being (IMO) a co-op PVE game, they just went with the 'bigger is better is more expensive' school.

Edit: pretty much how the older Elites were too, which I guess can be seen as another way that Elite:Dangerous hasn't gotten with the times

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 11, 2015

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

I disagree, since it entirely depends on where you draw the line as to where your immersion breaks. I just happen to draw it at 'it's a video game'. Otherwise I'd be stuck at instant repairs, visible laser beams, maximum speeds, instant loading of cargo, instant repairs, hyperdrives or what have you.

It's not really a binary thing though. Elite could be less realistic than it is without ruining my appreciation for the attention to detail that still exists, or more realistic without ruining my notion of fun.

The pseudo-realism in Elite is useful to gameplay because it helps you use your natural intuition to engage with the game and feel rewarded for it. E.g. really big weapon hardpoints that have limited use against small oponents is something that makes natural sense, and it feels good to recognize that intutively and take advantage of that understanding.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

timn posted:

The pseudo-realism in Elite is useful to gameplay because it helps you use your natural intuition to engage with the game and feel rewarded for it. E.g. really big weapon hardpoints that have limited use against small oponents is something that makes natural sense, and it feels good to recognize that intutively and take advantage of that understanding.

I see your point. I guess what we disagree on is the ways in which pseudo-realism hinders or enhances one's gameplay expperience.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Totally fair, and I wholly admit the theory is only as good as how well Frontier applies it. Some of this stuff is more like the way I wish they would do it rather than how well they are actually pulling it off right now.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sard posted:

Holy poo poo that's farther than I thought, even after reading all the smuggling posts. I found something closer that might work, though: Arexe. It's in the Lave area, full of missions aligned with the Federation, and so far all of the combat ones have been situated in Orrere.

The advantage of Cleos and Sothis is that they are the only two settled systems with in ~400 LY.

You refresh the board for 5 minutes and can end up with 20+ "Kill 5 pirate" missions all of which are in the other system.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chrysophylax posted:

We kinda went over this already but I firmly believe the entire game is balanced around the large ships being untouchable but by other large ships, since there isn't anything in the game mechanics that prevents them from getting their guns on target, fixed or not.

I mean I don't disagree that ideally things would have tradeoffs like these, but the fact remains that this game doesn't have them. In addition, PVP in this game is almost entirely consensual and so sparse that I just don't think it's even a consideration on Frontier's radar that good players in eagles can't beat slightly less good players in Anacondas. So the only thing a poopsocker is poopsocking for is, for about 99% of the game, ships to better beat on NPCs with.

Also lol realism in a video game, who cares

Edit: They really seem to have given CQC some real balancing attempts, tho, even if it's by constraining the base hulls or what have you.

The question of "more expensive == unequivocally better" is an interesting discussion (that's probably been run into the ground long, long before I heard about this game :v:) that's kind of exacerbated by the fact that apart from reputation, "credits" are the sole leveling mechanism. If you walk into a more D&D-style "typical" MMO with a character experience system, I don't think there's many people that would sit and complain that "I can't reasonably kill that level 60 character on my level 5", because there's a preset expectation that a level 5 is going to get rolled by a 60 with no effort involved whatsoever. And yet in E:D, a sufficiently skilled player in a properly-kitted A-rank iEagle (clocking in at maybe 1-2 million) can shoot down someone in a kitted-out Anaconda (clocking in at half a billion). And I'm pretty okay with that, but I can see why some people wouldn't be; it's just a difference of if you come into the game with the expectation that credits == experience == progression, or if you just come in to fly ships and shoot mans and don't give a gently caress about "grinding levels" beyond getting what you need to shoot mans a different way.

I would like to see some more expensive "specialty" non-large ships for anaconda-esque prices, but that's more because I kind of dislike the fact that the exploration/trading endgame is as shallow as it is in terms of ships. You basically get to choose between a ~25 million Asp for jump distance, or a ~90 million Python for cargo size (while still docking at outposts); after that the only thing to get money for is picking up ships for random other parts of the game you may or may not even want to do. Give me some S-Ranked FSDs for 500m CR that can jump 60Ly, or a 1B CR infinite range detailed surface scanner, or something that makes money worthwhile for anything other than a battleconda.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

And yet in E:D, a sufficiently skilled player in a properly-kitted A-rank iEagle (clocking in at maybe 1-2 million) can shoot down someone in a kitted-out Anaconda (clocking in at half a billion). And I'm pretty okay with that, but I can see why some people wouldn't be; it's just a difference of if you come into the game with the expectation that credits == experience == progression, or if you just come in to fly ships and shoot mans and don't give a gently caress about "grinding levels" beyond getting what you need to shoot mans a different way.
Well, you can do that to an NPC Anaconda but Player Anacondas usually have so many shield boosters/shield cell banks/hull reinforcements that they only way you would be able to kill one in an Eagle would be if they were AFK and their shields were down. The Eagle pilot only has to screw up once to get vaporised and if the Anaconda is packing turrets (which lots of people do on the small/medium hardpoints) then it's even less of an issue since the smaller turrets can generally track pretty well.

I can see where you're coming from but basically the larger ships are intended to be used as Corvettes in fleet fights and E:D is not balanced around 1v1 in the normal game. I'd say Chrysophylax's assessment of the main game being Co-Op PVE is spot on and if you're really interested in balanced PvP there's always CQC.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I didn't see anyone answer the questions about stealth so I am going to answer the questions about what a stealth build is.

Before I begin, get in something with a LOT of shields. I mean a ton. Anaconda. Courier. Something. Take it out, start flying it.

Now hit "Delete."

"Silent Running" and your shields are gone oh poo poo!

Sooo you lost all your shields, but what is silent running? Silent running turns off your ship's heat vents. It closes them up, trapping the heat inside. This significantly reduces the thermal signature which your radar uses to detect ships. Outside 500m, you are unlockable. Outside 1km, (approx) you are literally invisible from radar. What ship you're using and how hot it is has a minimal impact on this (that DBS? It's goddamn amazing for this, it can run 27% with shields, it's an icebox without them). Downside? You don't drop heat. You need to pack heat sinks for this to work.

A silent running build, or "stealth" build, is a ship built on the idea that it's not going to get shot. You forego shields entirely, because you lose them when you turn on SR. You tank up your hull. Best thrusters you can fit. Bigass guns.

Two ships shine as stealth builds. The DBS is above and beyond the best ship for this. It runs cool as can be, and can pack 4 heat sinks - and you want 4 heat sinks because you don't need to waste time with chaff. If they can't lock, then whether they can aim or not is the only thing saving your rear end. Most people cannot aim. Some can, and for them you need to use a different strategy, like running away. Cobra is also good, but requires a bit more management.

With the DBS, turn off a bunch of your systems, pack 4 heat sinks, and you can railgun and MC and pulse laser all night long without having to come out of SR. Blowing a heat sink will take down a lot of heat. Guns like the MC or Cannon own for SR because they don't generate much heat. Railguns generate tons of heat, but they poo poo damage.

With the Cobra, same thing, but turn off SR if you are outside 3km, because you won't be hittable and you need to cool down. You only get 2 heatsinks (8 sinks total) so you have to be much more conservative. Boom and zoom with this guy.

For both, any low heat or high alpha builds work. Cobras do well with boom and zoom hammers and torpedos or missiles. DBS do well with that as well, but you can also put on 4 MCs and just hammer away at a dude from inside the killzone, he won't be able to lock you and you will be maneuverable as the dickens, so it's all good.

Generally, put mirrors on both - if someone is hitting you with kinetics while you're in silent running, you need to learn how to fly, armor ain't gonna help you.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah, a player who knows anything about the game will at least just whip their conda around in FA-off and vaporize you in one salvo. And I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but a pvp conda is gonna have in the range of 5k-10kmj worth of shield cells packed, with anywhere from 1300 to 1800 base shields. And even in the off chance you did somehow get them to their last legs (or their shield down), they can just jump away, they don't even need to highwake, because they are in the biggest ship and you are in one of the smallest. Even a fully kitted python or clipper is gonna have a hard time out-attritioning a fully A-ranked pvp conda.

Judging what you can do to players from what is possible with npcs is extremely foolish, because while npcs can pose a threat under extreme circumstances they are still very basic, things like shooting up their powerplant and being dead in the water only happens because npcs don't have any power priority settings, for instance. Don't get me wrong it would be kind of cool if it worked the way you say, but there are so many factors that make it difficult to punch above your weight class.

e: really the way I think FDev considers ships balanced is because anything short of a type_ can just run from a conda or a python (highwaking aside). That's why ships like the clipper are considered so powerful, it's because they are as fast a fighters, but can mass-lock most of the ship s in the game.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 11, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mercurius posted:

I can see where you're coming from but basically the larger ships are intended to be used as Corvettes in fleet fights and E:D is not balanced around 1v1 in the normal game. I'd say Chrysophylax's assessment of the main game being Co-Op PVE is spot on and if you're really interested in balanced PvP there's always CQC.

+1 on the coop PVE. It's just interesting that the game is obviously geared at least in part towards being an epic space-fleet type game, given the NPC fleet battles and references/work towards having fleets of Sidewinders and Iggles pouring out of carrier ships; and yet between highwaking and instancing issues it's a non-starter pvp-wise in any meaningful manner still. I just hope they didn't bake the instancing issues in at such a deep level that they can't fix it in the future.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

And yet in E:D, a sufficiently skilled player in a properly-kitted A-rank iEagle (clocking in at maybe 1-2 million) can shoot down someone in a kitted-out Anaconda (clocking in at half a billion). And I'm pretty okay with that, but I can see why some people wouldn't be; it's just a difference of if you come into the game with the expectation that credits == experience == progression, or if you just come in to fly ships and shoot mans and don't give a gently caress about "grinding levels" beyond getting what you need to shoot mans a different way.

I would like this to be true, but it's not true, and in fact this is mostly the thing most people are annoyed with. Killing a conda in an eagle, if the conda is controlled by a player, is simply not feasible. A half billion conda will have 1700+ shields, and as many as 30 shield cell banks to deploy. A 3x railgun Eagle literally cannot carry enough ammo on a railgun to drop the shields of that. A 3 pulse Eagle can deal 24 damage per second, so it would take a full minute and change of shooting to drop the shields of that conda - at which point you will begin doing 6 dps to the hull because of the gun debuff of small to large hulls.

This in and of itself isn't a problem - a single small fighter probably shouldn't be able to truck a huge warship. But the second part of this problem comes from the way PVP works. If the conda feels merciful and doesn't melt your eagle in a single volley, it will jump away long before the 10 minutes of shooting it would take to kill it are over. If you are doing PVP on a larger scale, there will be 4 of them, and at most, 4 of your eagles.

The problem of balance is that normally smaller faster ships balance against bigger heavier ships using numbers, this is an age old equation. But in this game, wing sizes and instancing limitations ensure that you can never and will never get enough small ships in to tackle a player-managed big ship, period.

I splashed my first Conda in 1.2 in an Eagle, and I took out a conda in a hazres in an imperial eagle not long ago - but it took a long time, and it was an AI conda that wasn't popping 40 SCBs while rocking 8 boosters on top of its 7A prismatic shields.

So I don't think the game should be balanced such that an eagle can roll a conda - but I do think there should be a way for, say, 4 eagles to roll a conda. And there isn't right now, unless the conda is a huge idiot.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
So, if i can find a small enough planetoid with a large enough ramp, can i orbit the SRV? This is something i am going to be trying a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Be sure to have the :frontear: lined up for when you can't!

• Locked thread