Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

nomadologique posted:

i can' teven understand really why there is the option to turn off headlights ever, unless you are driving a police car

headlights aren't just so you can see but so you can be seen

they should never be allowed to go off

think of all the times you drive by idiots at dawn or dusk who don't have their headlights on because they can see, but they are invisible to you; or during rain, who don't turn their lights on

weeeee the option to commit crimes!

I unno man. Maybe you want to have some heat or A/C while you idle in a parking lot, without your lights blaring everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

Aralan posted:

Quiet Servant was in a concept car in 2001. Voice recognition is hilariously squirrelly now, I can't even imagine how bad it was to try and accomplish anything in that car

Even the heavily-lauded Siri cannot make heads or tails of my accent if I do not speak very slowly and deliberately.
Voice recognition is still utter rubbish and does not belong in vehicles, what a silly idea. The notion of voice recognition technology being utilised in a vehicle in 2001 is just shockingly stupid.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Any automobile that isn't a stick shift is automatically Bad Design. People who can't drive stick should take the bus or stay at the convent.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

lots of bathroom & toilet talk ITT... though all I care about is being able to sit down to poo poo and not have to hold my dick tucked underneath me so it doesn't touch the front of the seat

toilet designers are stupid as hell

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

The Whole Internet posted:

there is a low-tech solution to this called a lock

you only need a solution because it's a dumb design

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
The number one bad designer is - GOD! He made lots of people who are seriously into sucking off strangers- but they are all dudes! wtf, GOD?!

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

you only need a solution because it's a dumb design

having a car that's impossible and confounding for everyone including yourself to get into vs having a lock

hmm yes it's clear which of these is the dumb design

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

having a car that's impossible and confounding for everyone including yourself to get into vs having a lock

correction: it's impossible and confounding to get into only if you're a retarded moron

last time i checked most Tesla drivers have no issues whatsoever getting into their cars

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Maoist Pussy posted:

Any automobile that isn't a stick shift is automatically Bad Design. People who can't drive stick should take the bus or stay at the convent.

except that flappy paddles are better... they have the same level of control and they're more ergonomic

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Question how do the doors open if power has been lost? People run out of gas all the time, seems like running out of battery would be just as easy.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Maoist Pussy posted:

I've driven a stick my whole life, and I never understood this mentality. It's like complaining about power steering or all-wheel drive.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Varg posted:

lots of bathroom & toilet talk ITT... though all I care about is being able to sit down to poo poo and not have to hold my dick tucked underneath me so it doesn't touch the front of the seat

toilet designers are stupid as hell

Holy gently caress this. Have you ever lifted someone's gross toilet seat to see that the rim and underside of the seat has never been cleaned? gently caress that, I don't want my dick touching their crusty rear end piss and mold/bacteria/filth. Pro tip: use some tp as a makeshift liner between your cock and the front of the toilet.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

XYZ posted:

Question how do the doors open if power has been lost? People run out of gas all the time, seems like running out of battery would be just as easy.

The doors are controlled by a 12V system that's completely separate from the batteries that power the drivetrain.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

correction: it's impossible and confounding to get into only if you're a retarded moron

last time i checked most Tesla drivers have no issues whatsoever getting into their cars

stop pretending you own a tesla or know anyone who does (it's p obvious you're not the type of person important people would associate with)

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

RideTheSpiral posted:

i couldnt get the door open because it has no door handles and the key has no button

While I love the wireless keyfob that just has to be in the car for it to unlock the ignition, it has a metal key that can be popped out of the fob to use if the battery dies. Got a friend with a different model that has the same keyfob but no little metal key - i think its a push button start and not mimicking a "traditional" key/ignition on the column like mine has

He was not happy when the battery died

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

The doors are controlled by a 12V system that's completely separate from the batteries that power the drivetrain.

You taught me a thing, ty. Wait, can't that die too? You'd probably need to be amazingly negligent for that tho.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

nomadologique posted:

i can' teven understand really why there is the option to turn off headlights ever, unless you are driving a police car

headlights aren't just so you can see but so you can be seen

they should never be allowed to go off

think of all the times you drive by idiots at dawn or dusk who don't have their headlights on because they can see, but they are invisible to you; or during rain, who don't turn their lights on

weeeee the option to commit crimes!

Obviously youve never sat out in a buddys car late on a cold night to smoke a bowl on a side street

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My '14 ford fiesta has voice controls and they are absolutely useless. If I say "take me home" it just yells at me to say "navigation or climate" first. So I say navigation, wait, then say take me home. And then it goes into a tirade about how I need to say the street address, which, in the two years ive owned this car i have yet to get it to fully understand and route me to a specific address. Also, how in the gently caress would it be easier to go through a poo poo load of terrible voice menus to turn on my ac when i can just turn a knob right in front of me? The climate controls are also on a menu in the terrible touch screen for no apparent reason.

Sat nav in my car was a $1000 option and i literally just use my phone for gps every time i need it, thats how bad it is. Just always loses gps signal and the traffic info is never correct. Utter trash.

Just give me the 3 knobs for climate and an aux/usb jack for sound everything else can gently caress off forever. Except steering wheel audio controls those own.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

stop pretending you own a tesla or know anyone who does (it's p obvious you're not the type of person important people would associate with)

whatever you say, the whole internet

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Lincoln posted:

I've driven a stick my whole life, and I never understood this mentality. It's like complaining about power steering or all-wheel drive.

Automatics are less fuel-efficient, give you less control over the vehicle, and add weight, expense and maintenance costs. They are More Bad and also Less Good.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Maoist Pussy posted:

Automatics are less fuel-efficient, give you less control over the vehicle, and add weight, expense and maintenance costs. They are More Bad and also Less Good.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/five-myths-about-stick-shifts.html

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Johnny Aztec posted:

I unno man. Maybe you want to have some heat or A/C while you idle in a parking lot, without your lights blaring everywhere.

heat/AC should be available without ignition

or perhaps a compromise would be that the lights come on when you shift out of Park

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Obviously youve never sat out in a buddys car late on a cold night to smoke a bowl on a side street

i have done that, and it is illegal, and it amazes me that the US govt encourages illegal activities in cars both driving and non driving related

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Five Myths About That Article About Five Myths About Stickshifts

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

The number one bad designer is - GOD! He made lots of people who are seriously into sucking off strangers- but they are all dudes! wtf, GOD?!

close your eyes you coward.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

"This article is based on published 'facts' and not at all based on real world experience with current production manual transmission vehicles."

Right. "Real world experience" AKA anecdotal evidence.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Voltage posted:

My '14 ford fiesta has voice controls and they are absolutely useless. If I say "take me home" it just yells at me to say "navigation or climate" first. So I say navigation, wait, then say take me home. And then it goes into a tirade about how I need to say the street address, which, in the two years ive owned this car i have yet to get it to fully understand and route me to a specific address. Also, how in the gently caress would it be easier to go through a poo poo load of terrible voice menus to turn on my ac when i can just turn a knob right in front of me? The climate controls are also on a menu in the terrible touch screen for no apparent reason.

Sat nav in my car was a $1000 option and i literally just use my phone for gps every time i need it, thats how bad it is. Just always loses gps signal and the traffic info is never correct. Utter trash.

Just give me the 3 knobs for climate and an aux/usb jack for sound everything else can gently caress off forever. Except steering wheel audio controls those own.

lmao when mind control turns out to be this horrible

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

close your eyes you coward.

But I like my eyes.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

But I like my eyes.

then look into his eyes while he does it. ask him what his name is. laugh when he can't pronounce it because his mouth is full.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
But what if his name if Fred or Karl or Henry or literally any other male name, what then?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

nomadologique posted:

heat/AC should be available without ignition

or perhaps a compromise would be that the lights come on when you shift out of Park

That's close to how my old Grand Am worked. Daytime running lights were always on unless your parking brake was engaged. If you needed to drive around in stealth mode you just pulled the brake up one click

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

But what if his name if Fred or Karl or Henry or literally any other male name, what then?

what if his name was like, Stacy, or Andrea, or Casey, or Pat?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Maybe I am misjudging automobile battery capacity, but running A/C off the battery seems like a recipe for millions of calls to the tow truck man.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

blugu64 posted:

There are only two needed AC settings Max cold and max heat

That is what my car has since something is broken and I am too lazy and cheap to fix it!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

Maybe I am misjudging automobile battery capacity, but running A/C off the battery seems like a recipe for millions of calls to the tow truck man.

i do not actually care if you kill your battery running your AC because you hav ea tiny penis!!

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

what if his name was like, Stacy, or Andrea, or Casey, or Pat?

Yes, and also if he was actually a girl! That would be a better design in the eyes of me, a heterosexual.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lincoln posted:

Power steering and all-wheel drive suck too, what's there to not understand :confused:

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Aralan posted:

You have to tap the little car's roof a couple times. I only know this because I read an article where the author didn't know how to pop the door handles out manually if they didn't come out automatically either. Why this is better than a normal key fob or normal door handles that just unlock if you have the key in your pocket wasn't covered in the article

Seems like a pretty obvious guess would be less wind resistance = more miles per charge.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

bad designs about roads, macs, and toilets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Aralan posted:

That's close to how my old Grand Am worked. Daytime running lights were always on unless your parking brake was engaged. If you needed to drive around in stealth mode you just pulled the brake up one click

The problem with GM's 'daytime running lights' of the late 90's/early 2000's was that, as the driver, you thought the headlights were on. So, when it starts to get dark out, you don't instinctively turn on the headlights because it looks like they're already on. As a result, you drive around like a loving idiot with headlights on but no taillights. It's unreal that every car that had this design flaw hadn't been recalled and this problem fixed. What a stupid loving design flaw. How could this have gotten past their quality department?

• Locked thread