Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Check it out, an interesting fluff postmortem on Mario Maker Polygon did. And they've actually got comments from Tezuka and the staff on a variety of stuff. It's actually pretty interesting and nothing seems out of place here.

quote:

Another criteria, he says, is the team wanted features that would appeal to players around the world. Early on, Tezuka says the team made the decision that every feature in the game would be available around the world, so the team has been trying to strike a balance between things that appeal locally, but still hold some appeal internationally.

On the fringe of that, he admits that a handful of characters in the game have skewed more towards Japan’s game culture. In the game’s Costume Mario feature, for instance, players can dress up as different characters including gaming culture figures from Japan, such as Shinya Arino, the star of Japanese game show GameCenter CX, and Nekki, the mascot behind long-running Japanese game magazine Weekly Famitsu. Thus far, Nintendo hasn’t added similar characters from the West. Could PewDiePie be next?

I...excuse me I...

Also there's this tidbit:

quote:

Yamashita also draws a line at including Nintendo staff in the game, as much as some fans might want popular Nintendo figures like Shigeru Miyamoto or Reggie Fils-Aime to appear.

"People like that would only be appealing or recognizable either within the game industry or to people who follow games," he says. "And we want to make sure the Costume Mario characters we add appeal to a wide audience."

I mean I get where they're coming from, especially now since Iwata's passing. Playing a game where he pops up somehow will always be a little more bizarre now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You left out the best part:

quote:

He gives an example of a discarded idea that came up during Mario Maker’s development. The team designed a feature where Mario could take the shell from a creature, like a Koopa Troopa or Spiny, and wear it as a helmet. That part made it into the game.

"Well, during development, one of the ideas was, what happens to the creature inside the shell when you put it on?" says Yamashita. "And someone suggested having the creature’s insides basically dribble out when Mario puts the shell on. We thought that would be too gross, so we decided we would have the insides of the shell kind of leak out but we would cover that with a blurred effect."

Yamashita says the team tested this out in the game, but couldn’t nail the look in a way that was easy for players to understand, so it cut the idea. It worked better theoretically than it did within the limitations of the game’s art style.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Um

That's hosed up

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
There would've been plenty of explaining to do for parents, that's for sure.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
That's kind of weird and I hope whoever suggested that has a healthy support network

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
It's hard to imagine that someone suggested that and it was ever taken seriously, yet we get creepy stuff like anime face touching simulator in the new Fire Emblem coming out so maybe it's not that far fetched.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love that that idea even made it out of discussion.

Reminds me of how they wanted to have Mario use a gun.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

It's hard to imagine that someone suggested that and it was ever taken seriously, yet we get creepy stuff like anime face touching simulator in the new Fire Emblem coming out so maybe it's not that far fetched.

whats creepy about skinship

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm amazed that the reason that was cut was because that they couldn't censor that and have that idea conveyed to the player properly. Not because everything else about it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It was probably Miyamoto's idea actually

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm sure they were thinking about it in terms of removing innards from shellfish, not as Mario doing a fatality on a buzzy beetle or whatever, but it's still weird.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I'm amazed that the reason that was cut was because that they couldn't censor that and have that idea conveyed to the player properly. Not because everything else about it.

They should have added a post-flagpole scene where Mario runs into a hospital and shakes hands with all the creatures he crushed with his head.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Looper posted:

It was probably Miyamoto's idea actually

same person who came up with the pikmin spirits? hosed up.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

AfroLine posted:

same person who came up with the pikmin spirits? hosed up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dr. Fetus posted:

Haha yeah, that's the best part. "We nixed it because we couldn't get it to look right, not because that's loving messed up."

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 12, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I'm kinda thinking something was lost in the translation of that interview. I don't think they were really going to introduce gore to a Mario game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/rumour_leading_japanese_game_company_kidnapped_devs_sister_to_stop_them_from_working_with_nintendo

According to a new tell all book in Japan, a rival game company had a developer's sister kidnapped to keep him from cooperating with Nintendo in the late 90s, and this kind of intimidation isn't especially uncommon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

greatn posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/11/rumour_leading_japanese_game_company_kidnapped_devs_sister_to_stop_them_from_working_with_nintendo

According to a new tell all book in Japan, a rival game company had a developer's sister kidnapped to keep him from cooperating with Nintendo in the late 90s, and this kind of intimidation isn't especially uncommon.

I don't find this at all surprising

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What does Nintendo typically do for sales in the holidays, if anything? Do games like Wind Waker ever go on sale on the eShop?

Want to play it but I'm not in any hurry so if it does go on sale every now and then I can wait.

I know I can pick it up on craigslist for cheap or whatever but I'll pay a premium to not have any discs to own.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They'll put some of their games on sale for maybe 1/3 off.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:stonk:

n-nooo

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

katkillad2 posted:

What part of that is creepy?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

It's just a pik-pik carrot. U telling me you didn't shell out 6 dollars for the pikmin animated shorts??

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i was not aware pikmin animated shorts existed

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

WiiU eshop my friend. They're directed by none other than Shigeru himself. Enjoy

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Awesome! posted:

You have toad and toadette as your avatar, and don't know these exist? One of the most blah moments of my Nintendo life is when Miyamoto hit the stage and instead of telling us about his awesome new game, he said "I made several pikmin short movies that are expensive as poo poo."

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

You have toad and toadette as your avatar, and don't know these exist? One of the most blah moments of my Nintendo life is when Miyamoto hit the stage and instead of telling us about his awesome new game, he said "I made several pikmin short movies that are expensive as poo poo."

Buy them

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't worry, you'll get a good look at Pikmin 4 tomorrow.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i hope all the pikmin are happy and safe

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Minecraft Wii U was PEGI-rated and has a listed release date of.. November 12! http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id/505/?searchString=minecraft

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Nintendo has never had a troll as good as Metroid Prime: Federation Football

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I feel like people were just as mad about Tropical Freeze and that wasn't even a thing worth getting upset about.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They are expensive as poo poo, buy they're really good shorts. Always calms down my kid too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I feel like people were just as mad about Tropical Freeze and that wasn't even a thing worth getting upset about.

Mad about Tropical Freeze? :confused:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Because it wasn't Metroid

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tropical freeze is really fun and the level designs/set pieces are insane. what a good game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Minecraft Wii U was PEGI-rated and has a listed release date of.. November 12! http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id/505/?searchString=minecraft

If they slip in a download code of Minecraft with every Splatoon/Sm4sh Black Friday bundle it'd be every single thing a child would want.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

Mad about Tropical Freeze? :confused:

Mostly at the time of the exact announcement. Most heads cooled soon after. But that initial announcement at E3 2013 oh maaaaaaaan...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are two as-yet-unnamed Amiibo listings that went up on a few retailer websites over the last day or so... what's the bet they're Minecraft amiibo?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wait that's the real Minecraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah it ain't Story Mode, it's the real deal and it looks like it was meant to be a surprise Direct announcement.

• Locked thread