Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

It's amazing how many old sculpts like those have absolutely zero effort on the faces. Like, they're barely faces at all. You can do your best with paint but you're still basically painting a muppet head.

That's probably why the gave everyone cool helmets

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
How did you people even play in the 90s...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

JcDent posted:

It was a dark time with beer bellied warriors and oddly proportioned weapons, but it had a goofy charm to it and when you have 100 identical dudes marching in loose formation because the models don't rank at all, you just accept it as normal.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

JcDent posted:

Those 'unarmoured' ladies are part of the reason why GW got big. They were producing (mostly) better stuff and raising the bar. Later they decided sitting on the bar lording it up over everyone else was a sound idea.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
someone decided this looked good:

count the ways it's terrible (the work itself is great, it's the idea that's bad)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is it propped up with something under the base so it doesn't fall over?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Frobbe posted:

count the ways it's terrible (the work itself is great, it's the idea that's bad)

How the hell does it not fall over? Those things on its back rocks on the base must weigh a lot.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Frobbe posted:

Honestly, apart from the shoulder missile launchers looking really out of place I don't mind it. It's just taking the Tau to their logical conclusion of 40k Gundams.

Still ridiculous though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, if you're gonna go Tau, you may as well go Megatau, and that's kind of rad for that. Integrate the missile pods into the shoulders or chest (or make it one or two rows as forearm launchers, because Rocket Fists are grand), ditch the head vents, and you've a fairly good piece of work so long as you don't mind going balls-to-the-wall anime.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's an incredibly orky Tau thing.

A hovertank would probably carry all those weapons better though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Loomer posted:

Well, if you're gonna go Tau, you may as well go Megatau, and that's kind of rad for that. Integrate the missile pods into the shoulders or chest (or make it one or two rows as forearm launchers, because Rocket Fists are grand), ditch the head vents, and you've a fairly good piece of work so long as you don't mind going balls-to-the-wall anime.

Yeah, only the rocket launchers and the wents stand out.

Besides the horrible decision to buy GW.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

JcDent posted:

Yeah, only the rocket launchers and the wents stand out.

Besides the horrible decision to buy GW.

The head is WAY too far back, it needs to be moved forward to be more in line with the shoulders.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Skellybones posted:

but but but muh anime

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Skellybones posted:

That's an incredibly orky Tau thing.

Basically true of everything and the reason why we don't see awesome mechs in modern military forces. If it was better then the Americans would have funded the crap out of R&D to make it happen by now.

Sadly I don't think these new Tau things are awesome either. The base of this one is either attached to the table or made of cast iron.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im the camera head that cant see poo poo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
or wait maybe im the chest visor that can't see poo poo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I dont know what I am...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Moola posted:

I dont know what I am...

Moola posted:

hey kid ima skull

stop all the animein

:colbert:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol I dont remember posting that

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JcDent posted:

It's kind of a thing where we didn't really know better. Models have only gotten to have really great fidelity and better proportions in the last decade and change. The shift over to resin, use of CAD, and what I can only assume is a better means of getting things out of molds has really done it. A lot was stylistic too, but even historicals from the 90s look pretty goofy now, or have incredibly limited poses. I remember playing Napoleonics where you'd just have these huge blocks of identically posed metal minis marching in formations before there were multipart plastics or anything of the sort. I think it was just a lot more dudes casting things in their garages essentially.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You didn't have an endless array of pro-painted models on the internet to compare everything to.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I unironically miss a lot of the mid to late 90s and early 2000s GW sculpts. Like, technically, no, they're not as good as the ones they have now, but there was a certain vibe they gave off back them. I still love looking at the dioramas and battle pictures in the 5th edition WHFB books. I recognize this is almost certainly due to nostalgia and if I was coming into the wargaming hobby with fresh new eyes, I'd think differently.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There is an argument to be had that the precision of CAD design can detract from the character of a sculpt, which I guess is dependent on if you like impressionist painting over photo realism. Hand sculpting can lead to exaggerated features that create a style, but the lines will probably never be as straight or crisp as in CAD design.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah I feel that CAD designed minis somehow lose some of the artistry. Which sounds like a wanky thing to say akin to arguing for vinyl over digital but, certainly at the moment, the serene crispness of a CAD designed model somehow telegraphs that that is what it is in a way that the chunkier, flawed nature of a classic mini does not.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There were plenty of gorgeous miniatures in the 1990s. It's just that they were swamped by vast numbers of horrible poo poo miniatures too. But I have miniatures from as far back as the late 1970s that are OK to middling, and plenty of stuff from the likes of Grenadier in the 1980s that have nice crisp details and good proportions.

I think a lot of it came down to technology and price. Tons of outfits were still spin-casting metal minis using aging two-piece spin molds as a way of being economical, and those minis mostly sucked. Bigger outfits like Citadel, Grenadier, and Ral Partha had better metal molding processes and GW pioneered high-detail hard plastic injection molded stuff, which was already starting to be available by 1989 or so. If you went into a Games Workshop you saw those nice minis; but if you went into an independent game store, you probably saw racks of minis from a dozen different companies, most of which had been there unsold for years, in addition to small displays of the better but more expensive metals and plastics from the big companies.

But the lack of the Web was really the big thing. You saw minis in magazines and in your local store and that was it. And I think people were still thinking of them more as game tokens than as literal, exactly-as-depicted realistic representations of characters and fighters and monsters. When we played D&D with figures, you just used any dwarf to represent your dwarf, and when you played a wargame unless you were a greybeard fat grognardy historicals guy (who were in a tiny minority even in 1990) you just fielded five or six smallish units of basically similar dudes and it was fine. If your unit of 30 goblins were all identical sculpts, nobody batted an eye or even thought it looked bad, because they'd probably only ever seen one to three other units of 30 goblins in-person anyway. Unless you were lucky enough to go to one of the big conventions, that is: attending the second annual Golden Demon Awards in the UK as a teenager was quite eye-opening for young Leperflesh, just from peering at the contest entries, doing a quick painting workshop with a GW staffer, and trying to shove through the packed crowds surrounding every gaming table to see the fully painted terrain and scenery and armies fighting it out.

But for the most part we were slopping thick craft store acrylic paint or sometimes model shop enamel[/] paint onto blobby 1980s third-party miniatures with #3 paintbrushes and being really quite proud of our results because at least the drat things were [i]painted at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ineptmule posted:

Yeah I feel that CAD designed minis somehow lose some of the artistry. Which sounds like a wanky thing to say akin to arguing for vinyl over digital but, certainly at the moment, the serene crispness of a CAD designed model somehow telegraphs that that is what it is in a way that the chunkier, flawed nature of a classic mini does not.

As someone who works in CAD I agree. CAD typically displays in an isometric view meaning there is no real perspective. In perspective modes it also doesn't look right.

Having seen the things I've worked on built, there's also a size warp that happens. Things on the screen that you've spent a lot of time on seem bigger or smaller than the end up being in the real world.

I think that a hybrid would be perfect. Create a basic skeleton on CAD, then sculpt on it. After that digitize it, and cut it up in CAD to create the molds.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ineptmule posted:

I think it is down to the nature of CAD itself, if you have easy access to identical digital components, you're less likely to spend time on the detail work simply because you can grab elements from the library. Whereas sculpting by hand meant that the detail work was done from scratch every time. Which would require more time and thought.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FrostyPox posted:

I unironically miss a lot of the mid to late 90s and early 2000s GW sculpts. Like, technically, no, they're not as good as the ones they have now, but there was a certain vibe they gave off back them. I still love looking at the dioramas and battle pictures in the 5th edition WHFB books. I recognize this is almost certainly due to nostalgia and if I was coming into the wargaming hobby with fresh new eyes, I'd think differently.

6th edition WHFB chaos hit the nail on the head in terms of design and aesthetic, so I feel you on that. It was the right balance of detail and empty space, busy where it needed to be but not overflowing with a billion skulls and awful proportions.

Except the plastic warriors around that time. Awful sculpts and terrible to try and rank up.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Slimnoid posted:

6th edition WHFB chaos hit the nail on the head in terms of design and aesthetic, so I feel you on that. It was the right balance of detail and empty space, busy where it needed to be but not overflowing with a billion skulls and awful proportions.

Except the plastic warriors around that time. Awful sculpts and terrible to try and rank up.

The ones with a front piece, a back piece and two ball sockets for arms? I kinda liked the stolid, menacing "we're advancing and there is jack poo poo you can do" vibe from their static pose. But yeah ranking them was insanely bad.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The 6th edition chaos warriors are still the current ones and are pretty good even today. Those hunchbacked fuckers that came before them? They were awful.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Those were reboxed for 6th but a couple of editions old at that point iirc, hence why they brought out the chaos knight inspired ones with storm of chaos.

Which are cool but monopose and lockstep as hell. The goofy hunchback fuckers could be customized a lot more and were properly Chaos instead of generic army of darkness dudes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Bloodletters in 6E were loving amazing. Whenever I can get my stuff to Asia, those are certainly finding a place in my Kings of War army.

I'm also a huge fan of the 1997 High Elves. Those were some of the nicest metal sculpts GW did before the mass switch to multi-part plastic kits. And then right after that they did the Dogs of War range which was a good dozen unique units that all had excellent flare and character.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I thought the old metal hive-tyrant was one of the coolest minis around. None of the new designs match it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I thought all the old nid designs were bad until they got redone in 4th(?)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
There were definitely good 'nids as early as 3rd edition since that's when I played them first and most of the models don't clash with stuff from when I stopped playing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there a website that shows 40k models through the years? Like it would be cool to see the squads side by side from Rogue Trader on up to now.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The 'nids started getting actual plastic kits in 3E with the new codex. I think that's when they more or less redid the whole range of large monsters. I think it's up for debate if the goofy old Hive Tyrant was better or worse than the more bug-like plastic one, but it didn't fit with the new range and the update was fine. The old Carnifex is clearly worse though. Or better. It depends on how much I've been drinking.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Most of the line improved when they redid it the first time. When they re-redid it, it got more generic. I think they were trying to go for 'these creature are part of the same species/whatever', but it just ended up making them look samey-same to me.

I went a little nuts when they updated it the first time. I think I had 10 carnifexes for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Tommofork posted:

The ones with a front piece, a back piece and two ball sockets for arms? I kinda liked the stolid, menacing "we're advancing and there is jack poo poo you can do" vibe from their static pose. But yeah ranking them was insanely bad.

No, those are pretty fine to rank up. What I meant was...

Safety Factor posted:

Those hunchbacked fuckers that came before them? They were awful.

Those. They were still current when the Hordes of Chaos book came out back in 6th; it wasn't until some time in 7th iirc that they got replaced by the ball-socket ones.

Imagine trying to make sense of THIS clusterfuck: