Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I've heard of people using external hard drives for the PS4 for storage but not being able to run any games off of them. My advice is to get a 1-2TB main drive and delete games you've beaten or have stopped playing. If you mostly play with disks, this isn't a huge deal. If you use mostly or exclusively digital, it sucks but you don't have a lot of choice for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Is there a good reason why external HDDs aren't supported by the PS4? I got one for my bone and wiiu, but my bone one literally JUST has the new Tomb Raider installed on it

I dunno but on the other hand changing internal drives IS supported by the PS4, where on Xbone it voids your warranty, and its insanely easy to do.

Like changing ps4 HDDs is easier than changing PC HDDs. Its a really smart case design.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If I change hdd is it going to be a pain again to redownload my rock band dlc?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno but on the other hand changing internal drives IS supported by the PS4, where on Xbone it voids your warranty, and its insanely easy to do.

Like changing ps4 HDDs is easier than changing PC HDDs. Its a really smart case design.

True.. but I'm more wondering if all the other consoles do it, and pc's do it, why doesn't/ can't ps4? I'm not opposed to upgrading the hard drive on the one I have, I just wonder if something on the OS level prevents it? (If that makes sense)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

True.. but I'm more wondering if all the other consoles do it, and pc's do it, why doesn't/ can't ps4? I'm not opposed to upgrading the hard drive on the one I have, I just wonder if something on the OS level prevents it? (If that makes sense)

Well, running things more intense than installers or ROMs off external hard drives isn't such a hot idea on PC/Mac unless you're doing it over Thunderbolt or UASP, and the Xbox One has it as the only expansion option (also for some reason it's less overhead to do stuff over USB on an Xbox One than to do stuff to the internal drive - for the 360 it's not any difference).

Sony didn't take USB 2.0 drives seriously as an execute point for the PS3 (thanks to the anemic encryption thingy it didn't matter much though) and they got real freaked about how easy piracy was on the PSP so they went overboard on the Vita and PS4, to the point where even running media over USB was a PS4 after-release thing. The PS4 literally doesn't recognize USB as a thing that can hold executable code, except for stuff like firmware updates (which it reads in and validates first).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 11, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr E posted:

A pain in that you'll have to do it? Yeah. But it should be pretty automatic.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Well, running things more intense than installers or ROMs off external hard drives isn't such a hot idea on PC/Mac unless you're doing it over Thunderbolt or UASP, and the Xbox One has it as the only expansion option (also for some reason it's less overhead to do stuff over USB on an Xbox One than to do stuff to the internal drive - for the 360 it's not any difference).

Sony didn't take USB 2.0 drives seriously as an execute point for the PS3 (thanks to the anemic encryption thingy it didn't matter much though) and they got real freaked about how easy piracy was on the PSP so they went overboard on the Vita and PS4, to the point where even running media over USB was a PS4 after-release thing. The PS4 literally doesn't recognize USB as a thing that can hold executable code, except for stuff like firmware updates (which it reads in and validates first).

Gotcha. The piracy thing makes sense I guess. Thanks!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr E posted:

If you have an external drive around large enough you can back everything up onto that then restore it on the new drive, it takes a while but is probably quicker than re-downloading everything. The drive has to be formatted as FAT32 or exFAT though, which is a pain if it's already got stuff on it.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Is there a good reason why external HDDs aren't supported by the PS4? I got one for my bone and wiiu, but my bone one literally JUST has the new Tomb Raider installed on it

Same reason I can't play my ps4 on my iPhone, Sony is dumb.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

xxEightxx posted:

Sony is dumb.

Says the guy who bought an IPhone. :v:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
When using external drives on PS4 always make sure they are USB 3. The difference it makes is like... 4 minutes vs 6 hours.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I got a new 1TB HDD for my PS4, is there actually a way to back poo poo up, or am I stuck just installing the thing and then redownloading everything?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I got a new 1TB HDD for my PS4, is there actually a way to back poo poo up, or am I stuck just installing the thing and then redownloading everything?

Saves can be backed up to the cloud or to a thumb drive.

Screenshots and videos need to be copied off to a thumb drive and won't be able to be recovered.

Game data you're stuck re-downloading unless you can mirror the drive with a dongle or something.

Honestly leave it in rest mode overnight and it'll be pretty much done, unless you have lovely internet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

there is a back up tool

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, it was just a couple posts above yours, you need a USB hard disk formatted FAT32 or exFAT, preferably USB 3 if you don't want to wait a year. I am cheap though so I just used an old SATA drive I had kicking around with a USB transfer kit and let it take hours while I was asleep or away.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/backup.html

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So what's the chances of PS4s going on sale for less than 300 bucks any time soon, even for black friday? I want one but I've set a hard limit on $299 or less for myself since I don't want one that bad and am mostly getting it for two games but might as well get a few of the more interesting exclusives while I'm at it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
The beds in fallout do get "claimed" though. But you don't have to assign anything

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

katkillad2 posted:

Some of the base building stuff feels really unintuitive, like I think you have to assign people to beds and I'm really confused on how people farm food because I wasn't paying attention when the game told me.

I tried to pay attention when the game was telling me how to plant crops, but in a true Bethesda fashion I never got the message which I assume would've told me how to assign workers.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nuebot posted:

So what's the chances of PS4s going on sale for less than 300 bucks any time soon, even for black friday? I want one but I've set a hard limit on $299 or less for myself since I don't want one that bad and am mostly getting it for two games but might as well get a few of the more interesting exclusives while I'm at it.
If you're feeling lucky, scroll through these: http://www.cowboom.com/product/1459975/

Maybe there will be one with a controller buried in there somewhere :shrug:

edit: ooh, I found one on page 13. But the site is crap so it may be a different page by the time you see it

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I got a cowboom ps4 with controller and my complaints are:

controller triggers squeak a little

HDD cover is scratched a little

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Light Gun Man posted:

Yep, I don't even know where mine is scratched and the controller doesn't squeak, and nothing else really has gone wrong. I think mine was just a unit someone decided they didn't want and made poo poo up

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think i saw a bf deal posted for a 299 ps4 but im not gonna go searching for it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Awesome! posted:

i think i saw a bf deal posted for a 299 ps4 but im not gonna go searching for it

BestBuy will have the Uncharted bundle for $299

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/11/10/best-buy-black-friday-2015-ad-ps4-uncharted-bundle-299-grand-theft-auto-v-ps4-35/

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CrashCat posted:

If you're feeling lucky, scroll through these: http://www.cowboom.com/product/1459975/

Maybe there will be one with a controller buried in there somewhere :shrug:

edit: ooh, I found one on page 13. But the site is crap so it may be a different page by the time you see it

I was kind of hoping for a new one, I'm weird like that. But I'll definitely check this site out if things don't work out, I found a few with controllers.

Thanks! Hopefully I can get it online, or amazon does a similar deal come black friday.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nuebot posted:

Thanks! Hopefully I can get it online, or amazon does a similar deal come black friday.

Last year the 349 w/ 2 games bundle was ubiquitous enough that all my friends who wanted it were able to get it without problem or waiting in Black Friday lines. I have a feeling we might see the same with the 299 bundle this year.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Light Gun Man posted:

My controllers both squeaked for a while but it went off eventually, I imagine something is a little too tight fit and wears down.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just had a rise of the tomb raider ad on the channel 4 website player that had no way of exiting. Interrupted the program, and had no way of getting rid of it, so had to just keep hitting refresh until it didn't pop up.

So there's another reason to hate MS exclusives. :colbert:

CrashCat posted:

Also I got so used to bitching about the Download List on PSN that I didn't realize until I turned my 360 back on that I don't even know how to find a list of what I bought on Xbox anymore. :saddowns:
If it helps, they just added one to the 360. It opens in a browser and shows you a list of items you have purchased, none of which you can click on or do anything with :downsgun:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nuebot posted:

I was kind of hoping for a new one, I'm weird like that. But I'll definitely check this site out if things don't work out, I found a few with controllers.

I'm almost positive Amazon will match it in some form or another. I think a lot of retailers will.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
My muscle memory from Destiny is really putting a damper on Fallout 4. 2nd day of playing it and I'm still hitting the touchpad when I want to fast travel somewhere and I keep hitting circle when I'm done looting people for some reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

My muscle memory from Destiny is really putting a damper on Fallout 4. 2nd day of playing it and I'm still hitting the touchpad when I want to fast travel somewhere and I keep hitting circle when I'm done looting people for some reason.

It has fully customizable controls.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, it was just a couple posts above yours, you need a USB hard disk formatted FAT32 or exFAT, preferably USB 3 if you don't want to wait a year. I am cheap though so I just used an old SATA drive I had kicking around with a USB transfer kit and let it take hours while I was asleep or away.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/backup.html

Meh, I barely have anything on there anyway. I'll cloud my saves and just re-DL everything. No big deal. Maybe I should find a USB 3.0 case for the existing 500 so I can use that as a bridge for videos and poo poo once I can actually play games again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BonoMan posted:

I'm almost positive Amazon will match it in some form or another. I think a lot of retailers will.

Excellent. I might wind up getting Destiny as well, despite the bad things I hear about it, it looks like it'd be some mindless fun for a bit.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Nuebot posted:

GameStop has the same price ($299) for its Black Friday bundles, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Excellent. I might wind up getting Destiny as well, despite the bad things I hear about it, it looks like it'd be some mindless fun for a bit.

if you actually do that, get the taken king legendary edition (the $60 one) because that comes with all the gameplay dlc and the base game. the more expensive one is asking you for like $20 for some cosmetics and some dance emotes and the base game is not worth buying alone

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea you definitely want the full thing. if you play through all the story poo poo thats available theres actually a good amount of content now alongside the pvp and co-op stuff. its pretty fun. the $20 cosmetic poo poo is probably very much not worth buying although i got it for free and i do use the shaders.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
No but really if you pipboy preorder people don't want your pipboy sell it to me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gently caress off

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

xxEightxx posted:

No but really if you pipboy preorder people don't want your pipboy sell it to me.

But really, there's no reason any good would sell it to you for a reasonable price just because you're a goon when they can get $100-250 for it on Ebay right now (depending on if they are selling the game as well).

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

axleblaze posted:

But really, there's no reason any good would sell it to you for a reasonable price just because you're a goon when they can get $100-250 for it on Ebay right now (depending on if they are selling the game as well).

Yea but I'd rather give my money to a goon than a rando on eBay. Don't judge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nuebot posted:

There's a free demo on PSN, which is most of the first planet and gives you a good feel for the game. If you like the gunplay and don't mind the bad writing, the full game is more of the same until TTK when it's better.

Destiny is good if you like shooters where you can just load them up and get your daily fill of killin mans.

• Locked thread