Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Alctel posted:

WHERE IS MY ASSAULT GUNBOAT FFG YOU SHITS STOP MAKING EU GARBAGE

seriously though, why isn't it in

The Assault Gunboat is EU garbage :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Alctel posted:

WHERE IS MY ASSAULT GUNBOAT FFG YOU SHITS STOP MAKING EU GARBAGE

seriously though, why isn't it in

The joke here is that the Assault Gunboat is from a Legends EU source too.

EDIT: this is what happens when I don't click through to the new page before replying.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tie fighter an xwing the game are considered EU?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

LingcodKilla posted:

Anything that isn't the films, or Disney's new canon, counts as Legends (the old EU).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LingcodKilla posted:

Even under the old canon system, game plots and designs were C-Canon, the level below the films, and the same place novels, comics, etc were.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

jivjov posted:

Even under the old canon system, game plots and designs were C-Canon, the level below the films, and the same place novels, comics, etc were.

Lol that's what I thought. Didn't realize there was actually a level of canon system.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol that's what I thought. Didn't realize there was actually a level of canon system.

Under the old system it was a multi-tiered hierarchy: G->T->C->S->N

G was the films
T was a newer addition and encompassed the Clone Wars cartoon
C was the basic EU continuity, all the novels, comics, etc
S was the a lot of the really old stuff, like the original marvel comics, that were made before there was any kind of continuity oversight. Future stories could draw from it or ignore it, or even contradict it
N was Non-canon. Either stuff that was deliberately parody, comedy, or what-if stuff, or the occasional thing that just had to be booted out of a higher level.

Now, under the Story Group, and with all the old stuff relegated to Legends, there's only two levels, Canon, and not-canon. The books and comics coming out now are exactly as canonical as the films. Video games and the like are now just vetted for "authenticity" (i.e. does this look and feel like Star Wars, and fairly represent the universe) instead of actually trying to put the plots into the canon.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I wouldnt mind some of the prequel ships since it was the story that was garbage not the design just please no 6 yr old Anakin

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

jeeves posted:

Next year we're getting the Rogue Squadron movie right? That should keep them busy.

Sure, but do you really think Disney is going to be happy with them not doing Episode VIII tie-ins?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Endman posted:

Anything that isn't the films, or Disney's new canon, counts as Legends (the old EU).

Also the abominable "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed" games were given a canon level equal to the movies. That seemed really weird at the time, and I can't decide if it was an attempt to pump the purchase numbers or just let Lucas get his desire for a canon character named "Starkiller" out of his system.

(The games weren't really BAD bad on an objective scale, but the game design was about eight years backwards and completely unimpressive.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Panzeh posted:

Because it does exactly the same thing a shuttle does. It even looks like a shuttle.

Not that it stopped the Punisher, of course, but there's why nobody's hopping up and down to make it.
Except it's actually a fighter and not a shuttle, and wouldn't have the same role at all.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Cobbsprite posted:

Also the abominable "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed" games were given a canon level equal to the movies. That seemed really weird at the time, and I can't decide if it was an attempt to pump the purchase numbers or just let Lucas get his desire for a canon character named "Starkiller" out of his system.

(The games weren't really BAD bad on an objective scale, but the game design was about eight years backwards and completely unimpressive.)

As far as I know, the Force Unleashed is no longer canon. That was one of the last decisions Lucas ever made, and it was appropriately garbage, whereas I don't think Disney carried it over. Only The Clone Wars and the films.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Except it's actually a fighter and not a shuttle, and wouldn't have the same role at all.

Everything's a fighter in this game, one way or another. It's just 'a shuttle with an actual dial' to be more accurate. The shuttle has a lot of hit points and good firepower- it's one of the best jousters in the game by the math.

As far as I know the gunboat/missile boat just feel like more maneuverable shuttles. I wouldn't object to their inclusion but I can't see why the hell people clamor for them so much.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You know what I mean by 'fighter'. And potentially having a different dial, different stat line, not having access to crew, having access to missiles, potentially not having sensor upgrade but some sort of beam weapon instead, and countless other differences that they could make between the two, would make it play completely different from a shuttle. It's also on a small base and wouldn't have a stop, but would have a k-turn/s-loop/t-roll whatever else.

I clamor for it because I honestly like the aesthetic of the ship and it was one of my favourite ships within TIE Fighter. It was the true Imperial jack-of-all-trades and was relatively maneuverable, resilient, had pretty good firepower, could ion etc. You get to love a ship in that game that doesn't get destroyed in two shots after a while.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Panzeh posted:

Everything's a fighter in this game, one way or another. It's just 'a shuttle with an actual dial' to be more accurate. The shuttle has a lot of hit points and good firepower- it's one of the best jousters in the game by the math.

As far as I know the gunboat/missile boat just feel like more maneuverable shuttles. I wouldn't object to their inclusion but I can't see why the hell people clamor for them so much.

It sounds like you never played TIE Fighter if you think it's like the shuttle at all. It would be closer to a B-Wing/X-Wing hybrid style ship. Literally the only thing it has in common with the shuttle is the the cockpit is the same shape (but much smaller).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
They could give it a Tech slot if they don't want to introduce beam weapons.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Panzeh posted:

Yeah that's the thing: it's a multi role superiority fighter/bomber but that slot is already taken up by the defender - at least nominally if not practically. The sad thing about the missile gunboat is that either it's totally worthless with lots of weapon slots and low attack or it fills the phantom/bomber role and gets a 4ATK, high HP stat but either way it's gonna disappoint some people.

I do like the design since it's a proper Star Wars K-wing. The ordnance is internally carried, albeit in a pod.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I honestly don't mind if the Assault Gunboat does poorly in game: I'll still fly them nevertheless. FFG is introducing new interesting stuff with every release in terms of different actions/upgrade cards so I'm sure if it is released it won't disappoint.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope so. I was v disappointed with the tie defender both in physical model and game wise. I hope they don't decide to use the really dumb looking version with cut off tail and wings with double the weapon racks.

E: apparently the model I like is called the assault gunboat XG-1 while the bad one is the missile boat made by, surprise surprise, admiral Thrawn. I mean it's all EU garbage but so is Bossk's ship and that's a lovable garbage ship.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

They did the Moldy Crow so they probably ought to do the Raven's Claw now because Kyle Katarn is the coolest Star Wars.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I hope so. I was v disappointed with the tie defender both in physical model and game wise. I hope they don't decide to use the really dumb looking version with cut off tail and wings with double the weapon racks.

E: apparently the model I like is called the assault gunboat XG-1 while the bad one is the missile boat made by, surprise surprise, admiral Thrawn. I mean it's all EU garbage but so is Bossk's ship and that's a lovable garbage ship.
Yeah, the Assault Gunboat is cool and good and the Missile Gunboat is a lovely design that pretty much trivialized TIE Fighter in the final chapters cause the game designers drove themselves into a narrative hole thanks to the TIE Defender and is a ship which the player character never faces because it would be highly obnoxious facing a constant stream of advanced concussion missiles striking against you again and again.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, I hope if/when they do the gunboat it comes out better than the Defender. It's so close to being a good ship, but not quite. I keep trying to think of ways to fix it without being game breaking, but the already high cost makes it tough.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cobbsprite posted:

The plot of Force Unleashed was never G-canon, it was still in C. They just liked to hype up the fact that they collaborated with Lucas on the story, and how he personally approved of it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

The plot of Force Unleashed was never G-canon, it was still in C. They just liked to hype up the fact that they collaborated with Lucas on the story, and how he personally approved of it.

A shame that Darth icky wasn't used in that game, then. It would've been a nice tongue in cheek joke about the gameplay after the first 10 min. I honestly got bored after playing the demo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chill la Chill posted:

A shame that Darth icky wasn't used in that game, then. It would've been a nice tongue in cheek joke about the gameplay after the first 10 min. I honestly got bored after playing the demo.

My Force Unleashed story is that I bought the 2nd game on a Steam Sale, played for about 4 hours, decided that I'd finish up the boss I was on and then quit for the day...that boss turned out to be the final boss of the game and I was done.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endman posted:

As far as I know, the Force Unleashed is no longer canon. That was one of the last decisions Lucas ever made, and it was appropriately garbage, whereas I don't think Disney carried it over. Only The Clone Wars and the films.

I can't help be feel bad for poor Sam Witwer, though, because he's a massive Star Wars nerd. Apparently the reason why so much stuff from the old EU is cropping in Rebels is because he gave Dave Filoni a bunch of old WEG sourcebooks when he came in to voice Darth Maul in Clone Wars. And his biggest contribution to the universe is reviled for being a Mary Sue and then struck from canon completely. Poor guy.

Anyway, to get back to the actual game, my local gaming club is having an X-Wing tournament designed to appeal to new players, and since I'm relatively new to the game I'm planning to enter. It's the fairly standard 100-point tourney, I think.

What do you guys think of this list for a first try?
89 points

Pilots
Keyan Farlander (31)
B-Wing (29), Elusiveness (2)

Tycho Celchu (30)
A-Wing (26), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Wired (1)

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Calculation (1), Autothrusters (2), Outmaneuver (3)

I'm not really sure what to put on Keyan, I only have the one cannon (the 7-point one from the YT-2400 set) and the crew from the Falcon, Rebel Aces, & YT-2400 expansions. I'm sort of planning on arc-dodging with the A-Wings and trying to put the B-Wing in position for an alpha strike. I'll probably get murdered by Fat Han/Tie Swarms/TLT squads/brobots, but I'm working with what I've got, dagnabbit.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a tournament that's designed to appeal to new players should allow for proxy upgrades, no? I would ask the TO if I were you.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yvonmukluk posted:

I can't help be feel bad for poor Sam Witwer, though, because he's a massive Star Wars nerd. Apparently the reason why so much stuff from the old EU is cropping in Rebels is because he gave Dave Filoni a bunch of old WEG sourcebooks when he came in to voice Darth Maul in Clone Wars. And his biggest contribution to the universe is reviled for being a Mary Sue and then struck from canon completely. Poor guy.

Anyway, to get back to the actual game, my local gaming club is having an X-Wing tournament designed to appeal to new players, and since I'm relatively new to the game I'm planning to enter. It's the fairly standard 100-point tourney, I think.

What do you guys think of this list for a first try?
89 points

Pilots
Keyan Farlander (31)
B-Wing (29), Elusiveness (2)

Tycho Celchu (30)
A-Wing (26), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Autothrusters (2), Wired (1)

Jake Farrell (28)
A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Calculation (1), Autothrusters (2), Outmaneuver (3)

I'm not really sure what to put on Keyan, I only have the one cannon (the 7-point one from the YT-2400 set) and the crew from the Falcon, Rebel Aces, & YT-2400 expansions. I'm sort of planning on arc-dodging with the A-Wings and trying to put the B-Wing in position for an alpha strike. I'll probably get murdered by Fat Han/Tie Swarms/TLT squads/brobots, but I'm working with what I've got, dagnabbit.

At 89 out of 100 points you're kind of handicapping yourself...I mean you'll have a hell of an initiative bid but that's almost enough to buy a whole nother ship.

Out of the stuff you have I would either consider equipping the Heavy Laser Cannon on Keyan for maximum four-red shenanigans or ditching Chardaan Refit on both A-Wings and giving them Proton Rockets for a nasty little range 1 punch.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kai Tave posted:

At 89 out of 100 points you're kind of handicapping yourself...I mean you'll have a hell of an initiative bid but that's almost enough to buy a whole nother ship.

Out of the stuff you have I would either consider equipping the Heavy Laser Cannon on Keyan for maximum four-red shenanigans or ditching Chardaan Refit on both A-Wings and giving them Proton Rockets for a nasty little range 1 punch.

Well I was actually looking for advice on what to add, actually. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

I'm guessing Torps would be a waste on Keyan, since you need a Target Lock for most of them and he seeks out stress (even with advanced scopes).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 11, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well I was actually looking for advice on what to add, actually. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

I'm guessing Torps would be a waste on Keyan, since you need a Target Lock for most of them and he seeks out stress (even with advanced scopes).

Correct, Keyan wants cannons, advanced systems (which unfortunately you don't have, good ones for him are Fire Control System and Advanced Sensors), and ways to generate stress on demand (like Stay on Target). Torpedoes run counter to his ability as you've noted.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, Proton Rockets on A Wings sound brilliant to me. I really want to run that list sometime. Trick out as many high-init a-wings as possible with proton rockets, and suicide-charge everything, and just hope they die first.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, Proton Rockets on A Wings sound brilliant to me. I really want to run that list sometime. Trick out as many high-init a-wings as possible with proton rockets, and suicide-charge everything, and just hope they die first.

It works out well every time I've done it, I've never failed to dump some serious damage into whatever I shoot, but you pay a premium for high PS A-Wings and it's a trick you can only do once. Still, I'd never run Jake without them since you always want to be focusing with him anyway.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Kai Tave posted:

It works out well every time I've done it, I've never failed to dump some serious damage into whatever I shoot, but you pay a premium for high PS A-Wings and it's a trick you can only do once. Still, I'd never run Jake without them since you always want to be focusing with him anyway.

Out of curiosity, have you ever managed to kill something with a non-procket A-wing? 'cause I sure haven't.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

grassy gnoll posted:

Out of curiosity, have you ever managed to kill something with a non-procket A-wing? 'cause I sure haven't.

I had a prototype pilot once take on Vader and a couple of TIEs. He took out one TIE, damaged another, and forced Vader to drive across some proxy mines to get the kill.

It was a total fluke though, I couldn't roll anything but hits and evades.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Gumdrop Larry posted:

They did the Moldy Crow so they probably ought to do the Raven's Claw now because Kyle Katarn is the coolest Star Wars.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm running this at my League this evening:

ION STORM:

Syndicate Thug (18)
+ Ion Cannon Turret (5)
+ Unhinged Astromech (1)
+ BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Syndicate Thug (18)
+ Ion Cannon Turret (5)
+ Unhinged Astromech (1)
+ BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Syndicate Thug (18)
+ Ion Cannon Turret (5)
+ Unhinged Astromech (1)
+ BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Syndicate Thug (18)
+ Twin Laser Turret (6)
+ "Genius" (0)
+ Extra Munitions (2)
+ Bomb Loadout (0)
+ Ion Bombs (2)

What do you mean Daikatana was a bad game?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Endman posted:

I'm running this at my League this evening:

ION STORM:

Syndicate Thug (18)
+ Ion Cannon Turret (5)
+ Unhinged Astromech (1)
+ BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Syndicate Thug (18)
+ Ion Cannon Turret (5)
+ Unhinged Astromech (1)
+ BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Syndicate Thug (18)
+ Ion Cannon Turret (5)
+ Unhinged Astromech (1)
+ BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)

Syndicate Thug (18)
+ Twin Laser Turret (6)
+ "Genius" (0)
+ Extra Munitions (2)
+ Bomb Loadout (0)
+ Ion Bombs (2)

What do you mean Daikatana was a bad game?

"Genius" always cracks me up becuase any time you use it, you're guaranteed to be hit by the bomb. Not very smart!

Endman
May 18, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

"Genius" always cracks me up becuase any time you use it, you're guaranteed to be hit by the bomb. Not very smart!

It's important to sing "Highway to the Danger Zone" whenever you use him.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

That's the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The best part about "Genius" is the art of some poor sucker disassembling it and desperately trying to figure out that droid's malfunction.

• Locked thread