Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If you really have to watch the poo poo anime then stop directly when the soul society arc ends, even getting that far is a slog and it's the high point of the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Alternatively just read the mang for a much quicker experience

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Namtab stop enabling them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If Battle Cattle starts watching bleach he will go and post in the bleach thread and then this thread can die unless I decide that I want to make an effortpost about RWBY, which is unlikely

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

An effortpost about nora.....

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Namtab posted:

An effortpost about nora.....

Team NPD

Nora, Penny, Dog

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Team NPD

Nora, Penny, Dog

not four people, not a colour

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Namtab posted:

gently caress the police.

edit: Fuuuuck, I just remembered that a "war on art" was a loving plot point, can we talk about that? It's fuckin' dumb.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Namtab posted:

The monkey boy's team is sssn for sun and that's not a colour.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pierson posted:

I wanna hear more about Bleach sucks because I stopped reading after Aizen was captured. As goons we love talking poo poo about stuff and I'm giving you permission to just loving unload all your hatred and disappointment here, in this thread, this RWBY thread.

Ichigo is the ur-OC. He's half Hollow, half quincy and the grandson of god and he has a super unique special sword.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Ichigo is the ur-OC. He's half Hollow, half quincy and the grandson of god and he has a super unique special sword.

So he's Donté, el exterminador de demonios.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

BattleCattle posted:

gently caress the police.

edit: Fuuuuck, I just remembered that a "war on art" was a loving plot point, can we talk about that? It's fuckin' dumb.
That barely made sense. It was a war between two of the generic kingdoms and one of them wanted to ban all expression? Did I get that right?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pierson posted:

That barely made sense. It was a war between two of the generic kingdoms and one of them wanted to ban all expression? Did I get that right?

I'm pretty sure you just made more sense than they did, yeah.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh another thing about RWBY - whatever that band is that does the OPs is loving awful. Like, that is some of the most obnoxious, terrible music I've ever heard. It's basically butt-rock plus some terrible wailing with lyrics that sound like they were written by a 15 year old.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I liked the first RWBY op, therefore it is good

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Oh another thing about RWBY - whatever that band is that does the OPs is loving awful. Like, that is some of the most obnoxious, terrible music I've ever heard. It's basically butt-rock plus some terrible wailing with lyrics that sound like they were written by a 15 year old.

They sound that way because they were. The soundtrack is made by one dude and his daughter, and is one of the least poo poo things about this series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BattleCattle posted:

They sound that way because they were. The soundtrack is made by one dude and his daughter, and is one of the least poo poo things about this series.

I feel pretty comfortable saying that it is really bad music. I'm honestly surprised that apparently many people disagree on this? I mean, it sounds like the sort of thing that would immediately come to mind if you tried to imagine the most silly, angty, butt-rock (I don't know what the actual term for what I'm called "butt-rock" here is) possible, and I feel vicarious embarrassment every time I hear it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I feel pretty comfortable saying that it is really bad music. I'm honestly surprised that apparently many people disagree on this? I mean, it sounds like the sort of thing that would immediately come to mind if you tried to imagine the most silly, angty, butt-rock (I don't know what the actual term for what I'm called "butt-rock" here is) possible, and I feel vicarious embarrassment every time I hear it.

If you are talking about the season 1 OP, I have already posted that I like it which makes you wrong

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think the BGM is good, not the buttrock.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

It's buttrock.

I like buttrock.

If I didn't, I'd loving hate Metal Gear Rising.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pierson posted:

I think the BGM is good, not the buttrock.

They're both very good.

The season 3 op is the best though because it has lines like "red is like the blood of the innocents when you fail to save them" and "now they know the cost of trusting you's obliteration". It's hilarious. :allears:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Namtab posted:

If Battle Cattle starts watching bleach he will go and post in the bleach thread and then this thread can die unless I decide that I want to make an effortpost about RWBY, which is unlikely
It won't last, because unlike RWBY, bleach is no longer animated, is no longer anime

It's just a five minute dump a week

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

It won't last, because unlike RWBY, bleach is no longer animated, is no longer anime

It's just a five minute dump a week

And a 2500 minute dump to get there.

Don't watch Bleach, don't read Bleach, there are so many better ways to spend your time.

E: don't even think about Bleach, it's not like the creator does anymore anyways

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BattleCattle posted:

So he's Donté, el exterminador de demonios.

Yes but he doesn't have a brother yet. Though he is like, cousin to that bow using rear end in a top hat now so :shrug: close enough.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not entirely sold on S1's but I like S2's quite a bit, I think this is more of a subjective category really, all things considered.

conspiracydawg
May 14, 2014

Are you insane?
No offense.
Dead Fantasy was garbage in the first place; the only thing that sets RWBY apart from the majesty that was Dead Fantasy is the inclusion of lovely OCs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Strangely, I don't mind the music, but I like buttrock.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That one goon is right that the S1 OP really doesn't leave your head

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone else feel that the writers both playing characters who have romantic relationships that are relatively big plot points a bit mary-sue-self-insert?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Namtab posted:

It's mostly due to the shortness of the episodes. The frequency of the song means watching season 1 has the same effect as having the song on repeat for three hours.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BattleCattle posted:

It's mostly due to the shortness of the episodes. The frequency of the song means watching season 1 has the same effect as having the song on repeat for three hours.

It's also due to the shortness of the OP, which basically means almost the entire thing is the catchy chorus part.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The buttrock is really good and it's why the fight with the bird and scorpion is the best part of the series because it has buttrock playing during it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The buttrock is really good and it's why the fight with the bird and scorpion is the best part of the series because it has buttrock playing during it.

The fight with the bird and scorpion is the best part of the series because it is the only time we really see Nora do crazy Sledge/Grenade Hammer/Launcher poo poo.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

bird/scorpion OTP

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

One thing I find kind of odd is that I don't remember shipping being a "thing" back when I was in high school and watched anime (2000-2004). It seems like it's only become common in more recent years. Not sure why that is, since romances in anime have always been around.
Maybe you just werent on geocities or tripod back in the day, because there were infinite tenchi muyo/ranma/gundam wing shipping webrings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do also remember that the phrase 'slash fiction' literally originated from Kirk/Spock. Even discounting stuff like the fan controversy over who Jo should have ended up with in Little Women, shipping in its modern form has been around for a long, long time.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Namtab posted:

"This will be the day we've waited for"

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Stop that.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I like the S2 op because it sounds like the singer can't keep up with the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it's pretty clearly fact that the writers certainly know their audience when they elevate the fan shipping names as attack formations. "Ladybug (Red/Black)", "Checkmate (White/Black)" and so on; which I think is a decently clever enough means of interacting with the fans in a substantiative way; it's almost like interactive fiction. You see so many authors who get so paranoid about incorporating any fan contributions for fear of losing their IP that I think it's novel to see the opposite.

Covok posted:

Anyone else feel that the writers both playing characters who have romantic relationships that are relatively big plot points a bit mary-sue-self-insert?

No? There isn't really any evidence that Miles' character has the plot bending unnaturally in his direction for unjustified reasons.

Not that I think we're really the audience to complain about Self-Inserts when we tend to like Web Novels.

• Locked thread