Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Petite Dinklage posted:

I so, soooo wanted to buy a brand new Mazda, but I wanted something with more power than the current gen so I ordered a WRX. If there was a MS3/MS6 with the current body I would have bought it in an instant.

Yeah, you know it'd be fantastic. I've driven a 2.0L skyactiv '14 and even with that little power it is just an excellent car. I honestly wish I could justify one as a commuter car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody here posted some shizzle about a turbo Skyactive a while back and it sounded just bonkers.

Not that I'll be able to afford it any time soon.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Has anyone had problems with the hatch latch on their 3? Mine has issues from time to time and flat refused to work the other morning (I'm guessing because it was slightly cooler out but not sure).

Also, has anyone had their dash separate? Mine pulled apart (from summer heat, despite windshield cover and window tint) right above the middle displays (2011) and now the plastic in front of the displays hangs at an angle, so far it doesn't obscure them but I'm sure it will over time. I'd glue it back but there's probably not much point.

Edit: mostly curious whether I can/should attempt to fix these issues

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 5, 2015

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have a problem with their interior smelling like mold when they first get in?

I have a 2015 mazda 3 hatchback and within the last two weeks, whenever I get in the car, it smells like mildew or mold or something in there, like if you leave a wet towel in the hamper way too long I guess. Within a minute of the air coming on it's gone, but it always comes back.

Is this something common? I'm thinking of taking it into the dealer. It doesn't appear that anywhere is getting water in it. I live in Boston where it's started to get cold but have had a few warm days, if that matters at all.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Leaves in the cabin air filter area, maybe?

You could buy a can of Ozium and spray it into the cabin air intake with the AC/heat on and see if that helps.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MetaJew posted:

Leaves in the cabin air filter area, maybe?

You could buy a can of Ozium and spray it into the cabin air intake with the AC/heat on and see if that helps.

hmm, that's a pretty good chance actually with the leaves.

Through googling, I've seen it come up a few times in results. People say spray lysol into the outside vents, wait a few, and then blast the heat.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Have you been able to pinpoint the source of the odor as the HVAC vents?

You might also want to check if you have any water pooling in the spare tire well (or whatever you want to call the storage area under the "trunk"), you could have a shoddy or loose weather seal allowing water in.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The "spray some lysol in the vents" is a common trick for actual mold in there. I've had leaves get up in the cabin air filter, tons of them.

Nothing was worse than the mice that died in the firewall of my dad's RAV-4, though. I don't think I ever truly got the smell out of that car.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Geoj posted:

Have you been able to pinpoint the source of the odor as the HVAC vents?

You might also want to check if you have any water pooling in the spare tire well (or whatever you want to call the storage area under the "trunk"), you could have a shoddy or loose weather seal allowing water in.

I haven't been able to pinpoint anything, so I will check for a loose weather seal. However, the smell goes away so quickly after I turn the ventilation on that I don't think it could be actual water getting in.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kefkafloyd posted:

The "spray some lysol in the vents" is a common trick for actual mold in there. I've had leaves get up in the cabin air filter, tons of them.

Nothing was worse than the mice that died in the firewall of my dad's RAV-4, though. I don't think I ever truly got the smell out of that car.

So what's the best way to fix the leaves in the air filter? Pull the cabin air filter out and clean the thing out?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yeah, pull out the filter and stick your vacuum in there.

Did the current Gen 3 get a better designed cabin air filter or is it still a huge pain in the rear end to access it?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, just pull out the filter and vacuum. If you live in a leafy or needle filled area you'll probably have to do this on a yearly basis. It can really get bad in there.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I have the new 2014 model Mazda 3 and ever since my last service I've been noticing a tapping or popping noise coming from the passenger side of the dashboard. I have been unable to diagnose what the cause might be. It isn't my glove box or anything in it. But it really pisses me off. Typically I hear it the most on bumpy road surfaces. It sounds like plastic on plastic contact like something is loose.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Kraftwerk posted:

I have the new 2014 model Mazda 3 and ever since my last service I've been noticing a tapping or popping noise coming from the passenger side of the dashboard. I have been unable to diagnose what the cause might be. It isn't my glove box or anything in it. But it really pisses me off. Typically I hear it the most on bumpy road surfaces. It sounds like plastic on plastic contact like something is loose.

Did the service involve checking out the cabin air filter? Maybe they mucked with it and didn't put things back together properly? It basically sits behind the glove box so that'd by my guess.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Not sure how to search for this, but the gauge and radio display backlights have been acting kind of funny when i have my headlights on. It's as if the dimmer switch is getting flicked around just slightly such that the head unit backlight might get slightly brighter, or slightly dimmer and then go back to the set point.

This strikes me as something like a bad ground, but I don't know where I would check for a loose connection. I have no desire of tearing the dash out, but if this is an easy fix, or a sign that the dimmer switch/knob is going out, I'd like to know. Car is an 09 MS3.

Anti Plum
Sep 15, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

This is a known issue and is covered under warranty. Talk to the dealer and they can hopefully fix it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
crosspost from stupid questions thread:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Longshot, but does anyone know how to get mazdaconnect (in my 2016 mazda3) to stop trying to autoresume the music from my phone every time I get in the car? Autoresume on bluetooth is definitely disabled in my media player on the phone, so I have to assume that the infotainment system is actually sending a "play" signal to the device, but I can't find anything related to it in the car's device options.

Also, any way to get it to support browsing the music on my android phone? It will happily let me browse the music on friends' iphones from the infotainment console, but I seem to only be able to use basic media controls for my android.

Neither of these are a huge deal, but they're literally the only 2 things I actually dislike about this car.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Something similar-another problem for my 2015 Mazda 3:

The last two days, I can't get my iPhone to play through the USB port-when I select it under audio, it just says "loading". It gives me the message that I'm plugging it in and unplugging it, but that's it. Bluetooth from the phone works fine though.

Any way to reset the computer? I figured just turning the car on and off would fix it, but no dice.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Have you tried updating the software? The current version is 55.00.753

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Debating on one of these (MS6).

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/5309271811.html

Anything I should look out for? What are the common failures? Are parts hard to come by since it's a low volume car?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Anything I should look out for? What are the common failures? Are parts hard to come by since it's a low volume car?

As always, look for rust. The rear wheel arches and the edge of the hood will rust up easily.
There's still a lot of aftermarket stuff going on with the cars, New Age Autoparts has tons of stuff available, turbos, FMICs, full exhaust systems.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Larrymer posted:

I don't think parts will be difficult to come by. Many of the underpinnings are similar to the Ford Fusion AWD model, and the engine bits are similar to the CX-7 with the turbo and obviously the speed3. Rhyno is right, check the wheel arches in the rear between the door and wheel well (where mine showed some rust). Seeing that work has been done on the trans and other bits replaced are both good and bad. Good that they were repaired but bad that it needed it. These guys have a lot of driveline lashing when people do "sikk launches". What happens is the rear mount on the rear diff can't hold the diff in place and it sheers the bolts that are on the front mount of the rear diff clean off. The excess lash also will usually cause a money shift in the form of second gear synchros. Stronger motor mounts (easy to install) and upgraded diff mounts (hard to install) fix most of these problems. That is the "sport" which a lot of people prefer because it doesn't have the sunroof, fabric seats which are WAY better at holding you in place and saves a few hundred pounds of weight. Price is reasonable. See if the timing chain tensioner recall was done. When you go see the car after getting it up to temps let it idle for 5 minutes or more. If the turbo is shot it the exhaust will begin to smoke.

AWESOME cars, tons of fun and a really incredible value for what you get.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sex Weirdo posted:

Have you tried updating the software? The current version is 55.00.753

Dammit-no. It's only 55.00.750...time to make an appt I guess.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there another source for updated map SD cards than paying Denso $200 US?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

nwin posted:

Dammit-no. It's only 55.00.750...time to make an appt I guess.

You can update it yourself pretty easily.

Check this thread : http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/104730-index-infotainment-project.html

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I noticed that thread when I googled the update number...will that void my warranty?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dat new CX-9 :swoon:

quote:

The CX-9 also introduces Mazda's Skyactiv-G 2.5T turbocharged four-cylinder that makes 250 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque.
So uh, what else did you have in mind for that engine, Mazda? :q:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This news PLEASES me.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Well I am glad they are reaching the same horsepower they did in 1993 with the rb25det.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

nwin posted:

I noticed that thread when I googled the update number...will that void my warranty?

I'd imagine if you mucked around deep in the system and botched stuff up beyond repair they might freak out, but it seems that enough people have had some problems with the infotainment system that dealers might just flash it and move on or replace it.

Anywho, if you're just flashing the latest update to the system you should be just fine. It's only when you start running scripts/installing apps that I would be worried about with the warranty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wargames posted:

Well I am glad they are reaching the same horsepower they did in 1993 with the rb25det.

I didn't know the RB25 was a four cylinder Mazda engine! :v:

Of course, that's less power than the old DISI but I'm pretty sure that's more torque, and it will run on 87 if you're a cheap rear end.

But it sure would be nice to see that engine in other cars, perhaps maybe even the ones Mazda is best known for by far...

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm glad to know what the engine is gonna look like in the new mazdaspeed

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Anti Plum posted:

This is a known issue and is covered under warranty. Talk to the dealer and they can hopefully fix it.

Thanks for the tip. You were right. This is an issue with the outside vent cowling and a TSB fixed it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

HolyDukeNukem posted:

I'm glad to know what the engine is gonna look like in the new mazdaspeed

Gimme a Turbo Mazda6 and I'll be one happy clam.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

IOwnCalculus posted:

I didn't know the RB25 was a four cylinder Mazda engine! :v:

Of course, that's less power than the old DISI but I'm pretty sure that's more torque, and it will run on 87 if you're a cheap rear end.

But it sure would be nice to see that engine in other cars, perhaps maybe even the ones Mazda is best known for by far...

Probably gets way better gas mileage than the MZR turbo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Probably gets way better gas mileage than the MZR turbo

I would hope so, but that also wouldn't be aiming too high :v:

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Larger engine, less horsepower and barely more torque than a stock MS3... I could be wrong, but I don't think that's a peek at the new Mazdaspeed specs.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would hope so, but that also wouldn't be aiming too high :v:

I couldn't complain about mileage when I had my MS3. Granted, around town numbers could be a little higher, but I had no problem getting 30MPG on the highway. Though its kind of funny I'm getting better numbers with my new 5.7L V8.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Went to go look at a CX-3 for my brother this past weekend and it was much nicer/prettier in person. For the price point, the interior is really nice with soft materials everywhere and the darker red leather areas look nice and brings the interior up a notch.

I've got the current 3 and the CX-3 is much smaller than I thought. I knew it was smaller but there is no way 3 adults could ever sit in the backseat. The trunk is also like half the size.

My brother will probably get one but Mazda is being really shady only offering AWDs for all their models (And also attaching Premium Packages to most of the Touring models which is what he's looking at). We're in southern California and there's no reason to get AWD and would definitely prefer the FWD but the dealership told us there probably won't be any FWD models until next Spring. I looked online and that definitely seems to be the case as there's barely any FWD models for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Would it be a stretch to get him into a 2.5 CX-5? They are equally amazing, just a little bigger.

Edit: It certainly seems hard to get exactly what you want at a Mazda dealer. When I was shopping the 6 I wanted a stripper Sport model, but the dealer basically said "Yeah, we don't have any, nor are there any around here. I can get you into a Touring model though!"

Meanwhile at my Ford dealer; "You want this, this, and that? Okay, it'll be on the truck over here tomorrow". I guess that's just to be expected since they move a lot lower volume and don't have anywhere near the dealer network of the big three.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 24, 2015