Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so if you ARE interested in building a settlement, it seems like getting your charisma to 6 to do the trade route perk is pretty helpful right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If I give my settlers weapons do I have to give them Ammo too? Cause I don't have a lot of that poo poo laying around on Survival.

Someone said earlier itt that you do have to give them ammo.

I'm playing on normal or whatever the scub mode is called and I still would not be willing to give them anything that isn't in .38

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^ Guess that dude hauling the minigun around is gonna use it to club people to death.

Draxamus posted:

Saw this mentioned earlier in the thread and wanted to see if you could actually do this. Dogmeat is the master of unlocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrSkmBMebA0

Yes you can.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 12, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there no way to wait outside of sleeping now?

titties
May 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there no way to wait outside of sleeping now?

I think you can also wait in a chair as long as it isn't owned by an NPC. Not as good as just having it be in the menus but not too bad as long as you're not in the middle of nowhere.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I enjoy the pacify dialogue for Ghouls "Just calm down... you freak."

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Minor spoiler question about equipping companions..

So I have been able to equip gear on dogmeat - can anything be equipped on Cogsworth? Because of man that would be swell.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I'm trying to fortify the first red rocket gas station you find. It has my power armor in it, and I've cleaned the place up for resources. I just don't get putting up fences. It's like I have to use a certain type of fence style for a certain type of application. I can't just freehand string a length of wire fence along a distance, but I have to align sections in a pre-determined grid.

Lame.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Draxamus posted:

Saw this mentioned earlier in the thread and wanted to see if you could actually do this. Dogmeat is the master of unlocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrSkmBMebA0

LMAO I'm pretty sure this is a bug that Bethesda forgot to fix. The case itself is still locked.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Then you don't have materials for the repair. Start picking up junk.

I do, must be a bug then, I looked it up and I only need steel. I have 347 of that so it isnt an issue.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jesus, why did Bethesda make the middle-mouse button (not mouse scroll) look in third person (for posing, swinging the camera around, etc) AND the settlement building option? :psyduck: It's really loving annoying.

[e]: Holy poo poo, I can't emphasize how loving annoying this. Why the gently caress would you make them the same button for both V and middle-mouse button? Why does a workshop function share the same key as the third-person and can't be separated? Why?

This is mainly a problem for when you have your gun out and want to pose in a town. But for gently caress's sake, why are the 3rd person and workshop functions on the same key fused together like a Siamese Twin? The devs must have been huffing inhalants when they designed the UI.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 12, 2015

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

How do you equip dogmeat? I've transferred items to him, but he doesn't put them on.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Praetorian Mage posted:

I think the Vault experiments are an interesting concept, and they make for good self-contained stories, but yeah, it does seem a bit strange. I could see an evil corporation deciding to make some of the Vaults into experiments - i.e. "Hey, we're building these Vaults anyway, might as well do some hosed up science in some of them while we're at it" - but making hosed up science the primary goal of the Vaults seems odd. And with the world destroyed, who would even be left to make use of whatever data the Vault experiments produce, even if they don't all fall apart? What was even the end goal for all of these experiments? I guess creating super soldiers or something?

It also makes me wonder where the actual plans for saving people were. I've only played FO3 and NV, so maybe that gets explained in the other games. I assume the Enclave at least had some Vault-like structures. I'd assume Vault-Tec had some too, otherwise no one would be around to profit from their wacky experiments, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Some of this is ideas from Van Buren, so of questionable merit nowadays. But the ways Fallout 3, 4, and to a lesser extent New Vegas contradict it make much, much less sense so make up your own mind:

The government never expected a nuclear war to actually happen, and in the event that it did the government/enclave only cared about themselves, so they had their own shelters not part of the vault network. The vaults were actually social experiments to test different circumstances for isolation and recolonization in order to help the government's own system and, in a pipe dream, possibly even for space travel and colonization of space and other worlds. The vault experiments from FO1, 2, Van Buren, and the Fallout Bible are sometimes wacky but generally social or practical in nature.

Where it gets murkier is in Fallout 3 when you have vaults where it's all virtual reality, or designed to make clones, or to make super soldiers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Xii posted:

I do, must be a bug then, I looked it up and I only need steel. I have 347 of that so it isnt an issue.

You checked your inventory to see if you're holding the broken bits? That's what happened with me. You have to fit them back onto the Armour first, then repair them.

Odette posted:

How do you equip dogmeat? I've transferred items to him, but he doesn't put them on.

Highlight the stuff in his inventory and there should be a button to equip it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Xii posted:

Guess you could quit and restart the game. That fixed the common Bethesda LOD bug for me.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Harrow posted:

I really thought it wouldn't be that way, given that they share the narration in the launch trailer, but yeah, in actual play, it definitely feels like the male player character is "canon."

They could've made things at least a little better by a) not having the player character do the opening narration and b) not assuming a career background for the player character at all. That would allow them to have the game to have the storyline it clearly wants to without downplaying either the male or female PC.

c) not having the player character talk
d) not insisting on a backstory, personality, and motivation for the player character

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
So are there anyone here that's playing with ESDF as opposed to WASD? I can overlook all the flaws of this game because it is fun, but is there a way to change the binding for E (accept) and D (rotate, why do we even need this, left and right mouse button rotate just fine!?) in build mode? I have given up settlement building because I only have 2 direction that I can move in build mode... (left and back) and it is frustrating...

Also, is there a way for buildings to "snap" to the ground? the gap between the ground and buildings that I place down is ruining the "immersion" for me. :ohdear:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would very much like a mod that lets me wear an outfit over armor. Like, let me wear a duster or the Brotherhood recruit outfit over the piecemeal armor so I can look cool and also not get torn to shreds due to having no DR.

Having to choose between fashion and not dying is suffering :negative:

bhlaab posted:

d) not insisting on a backstory, personality, and motivation for the player character

Well, sure, but I was working within the framework of what Bethesda clearly wanted from Fallout 4. In principle I agree with you entirely.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Shoot, they should have just made it so whichever gender you choose has the military background, so if I choose to play as the woman, she has an identical story as the man, no need to half rear end things.

Harrow posted:

I would very much like a mod that lets me wear an outfit over armor. Like, let me wear a duster or the Brotherhood recruit outfit over the piecemeal armor so I can look cool and also not get torn to shreds due to having no DR.

Having to choose between fashion and not dying is suffering :negative:

This is gonna be one of the first mods I pick up, I need to be a dapper killing machine that can take more than 2 hits.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Has the characters skills ever made sense in fallout? Pretty much every game has a character way more competent and murder happy than a Vault Dweller/Courier ever should be.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

mlmp08 posted:

Quoting this from way back when cause it gave me an idea of how the building poo poo works. It's still clunky, but these images help guide what is/isn't possible.

I kind of like the blockhouse look.

edit: I take back everything even lining up a door to work is painfully furstrating considering that things will snap and click when you don't want them to and won't when you do.

I can't figure out how the hell i'm supposed to get the corners of a building to attach using walls. They will only "snap" in a straight line, is there a way to make them do 90 degree turns?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

bhlaab posted:

Every protagonist in Fallout had all of these things baked into them, though.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

She could be a military lawyer.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
She's a mom. Never watched Terminator 2?

Why can't I put glasses on the Dog? 0/10 worst game ever.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

Why can't I put glasses on the Dog? 0/10 worst game ever.

seriously what's the point of playing if my dog can't wear a matching gas mask

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tamayachi posted:

This is gonna be one of the first mods I pick up, I need to be a dapper killing machine that can take more than 2 hits.

I wish it already existed. I'm guessing it's the kind of mod that won't be able to happen until the official toolkit is released so I guess I won't get to enjoy it this playthrough.

I suppose the best I can hope for is that there's some equivalent of the Ranger combat armor-type sets from New Vegas where it might not be the best armor, but it's good enough and actually looks nice.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Aquagirl perk really makes things so much less of a headache anywhere near the water. Instead of being worse than lava it's just a terrain feature again. Whew.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I don't know if I'm some sort of story savant or what, but did only I notice BOTH genders are former military? Seriously, the recording mentions the chick DUSTING OFF her law degree. That is why she can power armor and shoot. Geez.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is... pretty much entirely unplayable because of their hard set key bindings.

E is my move forward key. E is also the pick up from anything you're looking at key.

This means that I a) randomly pick up junk from containers b) randomly grab bodies I'm looking at and c) randomly steal from containers, angering nearby npcs

Hopefully someone updates the skyrim key binding mod, I couldn't find any obvious files to edit the hard binds :cripes:

Well done Bethesda.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

Do you work for Bethesda

he's just an idiot fanboy. you should see his posts in the battlefront thread, vigorously attacking anyone that dared to complain about the game

then he revealed that he didn't even know if the game had regenerating health :v:

(it does. its quite fast too)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zaphod42 is what we call a 'polar' poster as in he can only completely hate or love a game with no in between

see also: metacritic reviewers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

victrix posted:

This is... pretty much entirely unplayable because of their hard set key bindings.

E is my move forward key. E is also the pick up from anything you're looking at key.

This means that I a) randomly pick up junk from containers b) randomly grab bodies I'm looking at and c) randomly steal from containers, angering nearby npcs

Hopefully someone updates the skyrim key binding mod, I couldn't find any obvious files to edit the hard binds :cripes:

Well done Bethesda.

I will never, ever understand why some developers just don't let you rebind the controls however you want. Even on a controller. If I want to make some hosed up control scheme where I click the left stick to shoot I should be allowed to.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm trying to find some T-51 power armor bits, and scouring forums and such lead me to a bunker way down southwest... which gave me two pieces of Enclave X-01 armor.

Then I went out east near Fort Strong and found two more Enclave armor in a guard post. The game wants me to be in Enclave armor.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

My sister bought this game and it's insane that while she's going through character creation that the guy keeps saying "I want to gently caress those eyes" and "cool and good rear end" or whatever

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This thread moves too fast... What was the console command to change my stats again?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

bhlaab posted:

That would be far less emotional. You know in Fallout 3 they sacrificed some great storytelling by allowing the player to do whatever they want.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
What exactly do radio recruitment beacons do? Like how do they attract settlers?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
I'm just gonna grab some wat-- :aaaaa:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

UberChair posted:

What exactly do radio recruitment beacons do? Like how do they attract settlers?

They create a radio signal that increase the rate at which settlers show up. They'll still show up without one I think but very rarely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

UberChair posted:

they broadcast a message which says to come to the place and live in it

I hope that one of the building upgrades includes a terminal-controlled door to keep NPCs out of my loving house

There are a lot of options for switches that pulse power at an interval you set through a terminal. I don't know what they are for but if they have a system that requires complicated power cycling for something then they can at least let me lock my god drat door somehow.

• Locked thread