Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

McGlockenshire posted:

The school said "when picking Halloween costumes. think about what's offensive and avoid it." The professor said "don't let other people tell you what's offensive, we're all adults here, use your brains." The students said "my feelings determine what is offensive, shut up." And then things got even more stupid. The letter from the professor is actually really well written, but the only copy I have lives on reddit, and that's a horrible thing.

Speaking of horrible things in horrible places on the internet,

Labor Unions as Organizations are interest groups in the post-WW2 capitalist model, yes.

Which is why the nation-state should be the ultimate guarantor of labor rights and ensuring the economy is democratic/meritocratic. Things like GMI and Wage Schedules make complete sense if you want everyone to have a decent standard of economic agency - but the current system is about entrenching and protecting privilege as part of a club/in-group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

McDowell posted:

Which is why the nation-state should be the ultimate guarantor of labor rights and ensuring the economy is democratic/meritocratic. Things like GMI and Wage Schedules make complete sense if you want everyone to have a decent standard of economic agency - but the current system is about entrenching and protecting privilege as part of a club/in-group.
That sounds too close to the concept of proletarian nation-states vs. bourgeois nation-states, when the construct of the nation-state in general is a bourgeois construct.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

:stare:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the best bit is that this is in the goddamn Bloomingdale's catalogue

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Eglamore posted:

Actually the halloween thing is the protests at Yale, which were the ones generating the massive mockery.

Mizzou is about the black football players demanding the resignation of the president of the university for a number of racist incidents. The coach and athletic directors lent their support to the protests and he resigned.

They're both an example of college students thinking that colleges have a responsibility to respect their feelings and desire to have a "safe space", and whether that is more important than first amendment rights. It's easy to mock them for being ridiculous, so it's being passed around as an example of colleges being silly left wing institutions where fee-fees are more important than actual learning. I donno, I went to a small liberal arts college and people would protest basically anything, because they're young and free from parents and all those other things.

There have been a few articles basically suggesting the students feel betrayed because they were promised the world in brochures and in reality these schools are huge, and they don't feel like they have advocates among the faculty. Is it stupid? Probably. Did the very vocal and loud people in those videos cross the line and basically invalidate their arguments by their actions? Probably.

Also important to note that they're not actually huge protests.

Mizzou is about more than just the racial incidents on the campus. Grad student issues, Med school issues, several departmental votes-of-no-confidence in the school and system leadership. Mizzou's Students/Faculty have a lot of issues with the current administration that weren't getting resolved. Or were getting fixed only after major protests.

I don't think desiring to have a 'safe space' on campus is a bad thing. It's where you draw the line balancing safe spaces and first amendment rights that matters. I wouldn't consider black people asking not to have 'friend of the family' screamed at them by angry and/or drunk white people being too much to ask. Or asking that some 'prank' involving scattering hundreds of cotton balls in front of a black student union building be investigated thoroughly be too extreme. And asking the school to take proactive steps to prevent things like this from happening in the future instead of just being reactive isn't crossing that line either. Although the school's response may do that.

25% of your graduate student population walking out of classes is actually a huge protest. A D1 school's entire football team refusing to play is a huge protest as well.

I'm glad Wolfe's gone anyway. He was behind a proposed smoking ban on Missouri S&T's (Mizzou's fellow system school in Rolla) that would've banned all tobacco products and substitute tobacco products from any university owned or contracted property. Nobody in the student or faculty leadership heard about it until our PR department put out the press release. I don't smoke, so it doesn't really impact me, but I really don't like changes being forced on people without warning or conversation.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

In addition to the repercussions against John Carlos and Tommie Smith’s gesture, Peter Norman (the white Australian) was shunned by the Australian Olympics Board and effectively erased from Australian Olympic history simply for wearing an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge and refusing to condemn their gesture or tell the press that they'd ruined his ceremony.
http://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/the-white-man-in-that-photo/

Your link says this, but in case someone doesn't read it I want to say it here - John Carlos and Tommie Smith never forgot that Norman stood with them. They were even pallbearers at Norman's funeral.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Norman gave them his gloves, which is why Tommie Smith raises his right hand and John Carlos raises his left.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
He really is a forgotten civil rights hero, godspeed Mr. Norman

Eglamore
Apr 19, 2005

Walker told me I have AIDS.

kelvron posted:

Mizzou is about more than just the racial incidents on the campus. Grad student issues, Med school issues, several departmental votes-of-no-confidence in the school and system leadership. Mizzou's Students/Faculty have a lot of issues with the current administration that weren't getting resolved. Or were getting fixed only after major protests.

I don't think desiring to have a 'safe space' on campus is a bad thing. It's where you draw the line balancing safe spaces and first amendment rights that matters. I wouldn't consider black people asking not to have 'friend of the family' screamed at them by angry and/or drunk white people being too much to ask. Or asking that some 'prank' involving scattering hundreds of cotton balls in front of a black student union building be investigated thoroughly be too extreme. And asking the school to take proactive steps to prevent things like this from happening in the future instead of just being reactive isn't crossing that line either. Although the school's response may do that.

25% of your graduate student population walking out of classes is actually a huge protest. A D1 school's entire football team refusing to play is a huge protest as well.

All told, it seems unlikely that the football strike or hunger strike would have had teeth without the threat of actual monetary damage to the school, or the support of the coaches and a variety of other staff. I don't think it's terribly controversial to state that universities and colleges as institutions don't care much about the feelings and opinions of their students, beyond the minimum required to not negatively affect their reputation.

The student protests that are getting the coverage are the ones that are ridiculous, because it fits a convenient narrative. Sorry if that wasn't made clear.

Student response to the admin response to the intercultural affairs committee letter sent by a dean about Halloween:
http://downatyale.com/post.php?id=430

Apparently this is fairly common at a lot of places, including Northwestern, where the same guy was dean of students, and wrote a similar letter in response to an actual black face incident.

The Yale situation, as best as I can tell, is kinda the academic version of the Japanese in Paris thing. What they thought college was going to be turned out to be different from the reality. They're ostensibly smart kids for getting into Yale, maybe had a rough time growing up and feeling different and probably are legitimately victims of discrimination in meaningful ways. And they still see discrimination there. It's probably worse because of the reputation of that school, along with the fact they actually work on advertising their campus as inclusive and fostering a community atmosphere where everyone is respected. Absolutely having a safe space on campus is a good thing, but the kids they got on video (and let's be generous and say they were caught on a really bad day or something) aren't shown to be advocating that. Their stated (or screamed) position is basically reddit's nightmares come to life. And while I wholeheartedly support making man-children scared of the thought of white privilege going away, the argument that "my feelings trump your rights" and demanding faculty resignations for arguing for freedom of speech even if it's problematic is shaky at best.

America.jpg:

Eglamore fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 11, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Major General Smedley D. Butler, author of War is a Racket and one of the most decorated Marines in history.

illumn8d
Jul 24, 2002

If you've ever had someone grab your nutsack in a tussle then yank on it, you'll know why I greased the boys up.

I love a man in a white suit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Today is Remembrance Day, a time to celebrate poppies.

Verdun today:

Hauntingly beautiful and terrifying, but wouldn't it make a great novelty golf course or skate park?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

quote:

University of Missouri Student Body President Payton Head issued a chilling warning of a “confirmed” Ku Klux Klan presence on campus Tuesday — only to admit it was not true hours later.

He quickly sparked panic with a Facebook post claiming he was actively working with “the MUPD, the state trooper and the National Guard” on the so-called threat.

An official with the University of Missouri Police Department refuted the claim a short time later, telling TheBlaze there is “no Ku Klux Klan on campus.”

Mizzou hysteria peaked as reports of the KKK storming the campus proved to be bunk. loving lol

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-truth-emerges/

Of course, not before a teacher was forced to resign for not canceling an exam held during the peak of the hoax:

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6971

quote:

One University of Missouri student told Campus Reform that Dr. Brigham, who he called “one of the most beloved professors at Mizzou,” was forced to resign.

“His class was one of the most popular at Mizzou and he was the friendliest teacher I've ever had. It's a shame that he's leaving while Melissa Click stays,” the student continued. The student also told Campus Reform that campus was open and classes were being held, but “false KKK threats” caused a “panic” among students.

School did not accept the resignation, but again loving lol @ this all, loving clown shoes.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 12, 2015

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

KazigluBey posted:

Mizzou hysteria peaked as reports of the KKK storming the campus proved to be bunk. loving lol

Of course, not before a teacher was forced to resign for not canceling an exam held during the peak of the hoax:

School did not accept the resignation, but again loving lol @ this all, loving clown shoes.

And even if the KKK thing WAS true, it's not like it'd be an army of Klansmen on horseback out for blood. It'd be like five lovely people being lovely at people. Guy made it sound like he was Paul Revere and the British were coming.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KazigluBey posted:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Nice screenshot of a yet-to-be-sent message there.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Gerund posted:

Nice screenshot of a yet-to-be-sent message there.

It's basically what happened though, so that one image being fake is, at worst, somewhat ironic given the circumstances.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When I'm more likely to be injured during the drive over than by having even unprotected sex of some kinds with them, it does seem unreasonable to throw the whole thing out of the window just because of their HIV status.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

KazigluBey posted:

It's basically what happened though, so that one image being fake is, at worst, somewhat ironic given the circumstances.

your posts are way worse than aids

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

KazigluBey posted:

Your posts are garbage but the reason people got upset with him isn't because he didn't cancel his exam, it's because of this stupid email he sent out:

quote:

Dale Brigham, an associate professor of nutrition and exercise physiology, submitted his resignation as outrage among some students grew in the wake of his email message.

"If you give in to bullies, they win," Brigham wrote. "The only way bullies are defeated is by standing up to them. If we cancel the exam, they win; if we go through with it, they lose."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/missouri-professor-resigns-after-telling-students-not-let-bullies-win-n461686

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Bedshaped posted:

it's because of this stupid email he sent out:

Truly a good reason to call for his resignation.

Just to be clear, all tumblr-related pictures are obviously from parody accounts, in case anyone was having trouble with that. Here, some anime Hitler, far easier to parse and less muddy in intent

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 12, 2015

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

http://gawker.com/report-no-evidence-to-support-claims-that-taliban-had-1742022068

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

KazigluBey posted:

You do need to care about reality as long as there is a presented narrative that confirms your suspicions.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

protest parodies are getting a tad weird

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 12, 2015

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
It came from facebook...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Denmark in 1956. Ice cream shops selling good stuff.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 13, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sweden in 2015. Ice cream shops selling good stuff.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Like anyone in that neighborhood walks. Also, there are no sidewalks, so good going there.

Stolen from the USPol thread.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

FlyingCheese posted:

It came from facebook...

That is a very good question, Facebook person, but do I really have to tell you that this is the answer?

Pictured: one of many "White Pride" parades that have been held for at least the last 100 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Sweden in 2015. Ice cream shops selling good stuff.

Comes in Nogger Black and Nogger 88 flavors:

• Locked thread