Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Lyon posted:

Do you know when the devaluation is expected to be? I'm also sitting on about half a million AA points. I have a wedding in New Zealand coming up but I don't know the dates yet so I can't book anything but I imagine two round trip tickets to NZ will be a lot of points (or money). It is only 40k/ticket round trip to Paris in April/May so I may just book a trip there if the devaluation is coming soon.

I don't think there's supposed to be any major changes to the award redemptions based on the FT thread. The only thing it implies is potentially late 2016. Things are getting changed a bit with regards to the FF program (and it will probably make more sense when it's officially announced) but there will still be no minimum spend requirement. AA probably thought it a good decision to be the one major US airline that isn't revenue based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of flagship hotels, I'm always surprised when older hotels are bad at the upkeep of the rooms themselves. Like, if a room is 400+ euros a night, there really shouldn't be scuffs on the baseboard or loose knobs or a fogged mirror (all of which were the case at the Westin Excelsior in Rome.) Westin Palace in Madrid was much the same. These are both Cat 6 SPG. Not Cat 7, I suppose, but still pretty luxe. Just a surprising lack of attention to details that would never fly in other parts of the hotel operation.

The only one that really held up in every way was the Hotel Maria Cristina in San Sebastian in Spain. There was nothing I could critique in that room.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 9, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you care enough to email spg they're usually pretty cool about it.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
A good hotel experience in Rome is when the housekeeper doesn't swab her chapped, chlamydia ridden vagina on your pillow.

Love that city but it's a shithole with zero standards in the service industry.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It just makes me wonder where you stay if you have enough money to just want the best and want to go somewhere like Rome. I just hope the full suites at the top tier places are held to a better standard.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

smackfu posted:

It just makes me wonder where you stay if you have enough money to just want the best and want to go somewhere like Rome. I just hope the full suites at the top tier places are held to a better standard.

Smaller non chain places are frequently top tier in Old Europe.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

I don't think there's supposed to be any major changes to the award redemptions based on the FT thread. The only thing it implies is potentially late 2016. Things are getting changed a bit with regards to the FF program (and it will probably make more sense when it's officially announced) but there will still be no minimum spend requirement. AA probably thought it a good decision to be the one major US airline that isn't revenue based.

Link? And my concern is that with the earnings moving to revenue based in 2017 (rumored) that along with that will come a range of devaluations. Not that I think the US Airways management would be cheap as poo poo or anything. :rolleyes:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Real Ballers stay in the Peninsula. Or Mandarin Oriental.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

caberham posted:

Real Ballers stay in the Peninsula. Or Mandarin Oriental.

Five to a room, with a suitcase of instant noodles? :v:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Is there much of a difference between executive and executive EC for National? Right now I'm looking to end the year with 83 rental days, and it would cost me about $50 to rent something for 2 days locally to push me over to EC for next year. But with the way national rentals work I don't know if that would give me anything.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Post that pic. Wanna peep them nood(le)s.

AA flyers, condolences on the move to rev base if it's true. I still earn more miles than I know what to do with but the killer are when your spend is on things like SEA-BWI when you can't help but buy that 300 RT and thus kick your earnings down to 1/4 of what they would have been butt in seat. It's just aggravating. I think I'm down 30% on earnings which in itself is hard to swallow but the bitter pill is the partner metal premium cabin increases.

good luck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Are you asking about the difference between executive and executive elite? Elite has guaranteed availability 24 hrs out, slightly after earning, and car delivery (for a price). I don't think it's worth it to chase.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Well I'm heading out to Nuremberg Next week. Thankfully alone this time so none of this noodle business.

But ugh Continental Winters just suck. At least bread and dairy is super cheap

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Is there much of a difference between executive and executive EC for National? Right now I'm looking to end the year with 83 rental days, and it would cost me about $50 to rent something for 2 days locally to push me over to EC for next year. But with the way national rentals work I don't know if that would give me anything.

Nothing really besides guaranteed availability with 24 hour notice, and I think executive elite only needs 5 credits for a free rental, whereas executive takes 6.

edit: Kyoon beat me to it. Here is a link to the benefits page though: https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/car-rental/loyalty/enrollment/benefits.html

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 10, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

If you fly into airports where availability is an issue it can be helpful. When my agent books for me they often show sold out, but I can always get a car. Plus the extra free credits are nice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you asking about the difference between executive and executive elite? Elite has guaranteed availability 24 hrs out, slightly after earning, and car delivery (for a price). I don't think it's worth it to chase.

DJCobol posted:

Nothing really besides guaranteed availability with 24 hour notice, and I think executive elite only needs 5 credits for a free rental, whereas executive takes 6.

edit: Kyoon beat me to it. Here is a link to the benefits page though: https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/car-rental/loyalty/enrollment/benefits.html

That's pretty much what I figured, thanks. Definitely not worth even the nominal cost of a couple days rental.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'd say it might be worth it for the quicker free rental earnings alone.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

I'd say it might be worth it for the quicker free rental earnings alone.

National usually does 1-2-Free at least twice year though.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

DJCobol posted:

National usually does 1-2-Free at least twice year though.

Plans to burn through 14 KIAs in 2 days so you can grab that ford focus for a week?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm trying to get from CMH to Athens next Oct with AA miles. Previously AA had a pretty good CMH-PHL-ATH route available as a MileSAAver award. Now if I look as far out as they let me, that same route is only available as the more expensive AAnytime award.

Are there routes where AA doesn't make any MileSAAver awards available at all? Or should I just keep checking to see if one randomly becomes available? I can't imagine that the MileSAAver awards are sold out as I'm checking daily and I'm looking as far out as AA.com lets me.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

Plans to burn through 14 KIAs in 2 days so you can grab that ford focus for a week?

Nah, someone already beat me to it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1708084-37-rental-cars-2-days-185-000-miles.html

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm trying to get from CMH to Athens next Oct with AA miles. Previously AA had a pretty good CMH-PHL-ATH route available as a MileSAAver award. Now if I look as far out as they let me, that same route is only available as the more expensive AAnytime award.

US direct to Athens is almost always a seasonal flight, where mid-October is near the season cut-off. Maybe that is messing with your flight?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

smackfu posted:

US direct to Athens is almost always a seasonal flight, where mid-October is near the season cut-off. Maybe that is messing with your flight?

Maybe? The same flights are available, they just want 45k for the AAnytime instead of 30k for the MileSAAver. The available 30k flights all take 2 full days and include a Newark to JFK switch. Maybe I will call AA ticketing.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 10, 2015

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Lmfao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pro click

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Are there routes where AA doesn't make any MileSAAver awards available at all? Or should I just keep checking to see if one randomly becomes available? I can't imagine that the MileSAAver awards are sold out as I'm checking daily and I'm looking as far out as AA.com lets me.

They probably haven't opened space yet. I had to wait a week or so past 330 days out to get J space

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/arts/international/liu-yiqian-modigliani-nu-couche.html?smid=pl-share&_r=0

Trying to figure out how you could spend roughly 200 million Membership Rewards points. Probably not a big deal for you if Amex will let you charge $170 million in a single transaction, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

christ on a loving bicycle

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

No loving way

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Would rather have done this MR than the MR run you just completed.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FunOne posted:

Looks like AA is about to switch to earning miles on spend instead of but in seat, and the rumors are that they're also going to devalue the program. Probably going to be hard to get in a multi-week vacay in the coming year, what should I be thinking about with respect to my half-million mile stash?

Lyon posted:

Do you know when the devaluation is expected to be? I'm also sitting on about half a million AA points. I have a wedding in New Zealand coming up but I don't know the dates yet so I can't book anything but I imagine two round trip tickets to NZ will be a lot of points (or money). It is only 40k/ticket round trip to Paris in April/May so I may just book a trip there if the devaluation is coming soon.

So the reliable sources are saying that the way status is earned will change in 2016, and effective late 2016 (maybe 2017) they'll switch to revenue based earnings.

Nothing on award redemptions yet, except that partner awards will probably get hit next. (AAnytime awards were already massacred, and saver availability is a lot rarer now.)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Well I'm glad I was able to enjoy a year of AA platinum earned via a challenge while it was still possible :yayclod: Lounge access in HKG made it well worth it.

I also just status matched up to Club Carlson gold and didn't get a suite or sea villa upgrade at the Radisson Phuket yet looks like there's still availability. Bummer, never had luck on my side on room upgrades!

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

christ on a loving bicycle

Those guys are my friggin heroes. I've never been able to bother with manufactured spend and the enormous hassle of that sort of thing when I can't spend the miles i have.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all of the manufactured spend stuff seems a lot like work

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
What would you do with 200K United miles.

I have no idea what to do with them.

Open to travel anywhere in the world.

FYI - I am gold with United, SPG and Hilton.

Based in ORD.

Any suggestions?

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

The Risk posted:

What would you do with 200K United miles.

I have no idea what to do with them.

Open to travel anywhere in the world.

FYI - I am gold with United, SPG and Hilton.

Based in ORD.

Any suggestions?

Where haven't you been? Where do you want to go?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

You can't just ask a question like "what do I do with xyz miles" and expect good answers without any details. What do you enjoy for fun and where do you want to do these things? How much time do you have?

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014

DaRealAce posted:

Where haven't you been? Where do you want to go?

air- posted:

You can't just ask a question like "what do I do with xyz miles" and expect good answers without any details. What do you enjoy for fun and where do you want to do these things? How much time do you have?

Sorry about that.

I have never been to Asia and 1 week would be optimal. I love food, drinking and just a good place to relax after doing those 2. A pool with a great view would be optimal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Singapore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bangkok is also a solid option.. guessing when you say pool that means you want tropical?