Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Alain Post posted:

ro-bot boy-friend *clap, clap, clapclapclap*
ooohf legion i'll lick that oil off you. let me wash that for you. oops your groin plate came off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

tribbledirigible posted:

Nu-Shep: "Thanks for helping me out with those mechs, Krogan guy."
Nu-Wrex: "Ha-HA. No problem, I was just putting up dry wall next door." [Holds up Graal Spike Thrower.]

You laugh but I could totally see a krogan contractor using heavy weaponry.

Kurieg posted:

The worst part about the star child, for me at least, was that apparently in every single cycle before this one, they had never encountered cyborgs. They figured out how to liquify people and turn them into sentient metal. But giving someone a robot arm is apparently enough of a paradigm shift to shock him into realizing synthesis is a solution to their problem that doesn't actually exist.

I never liked how the writer willfully ignored things like the alliance with the geth and EDI to justify his idea that all robots/synthetics are always evil. It had been established over three games that the only time the Geth were antagonists were when they were corrupted by Reapers. Otherwise they only acted in self defense because they just wanted to be left alone with their dyson sphere to exchange playlists and blog until heat death of the universe. So when the ending screams "ALL SYNTHETICS ARE BAD" I just wanted to look out the window and point to the geth fleet fighting side by side with the quarians. Or the fact that the geth considered the quarians their creators despite all the hardships they'd suffered. They'd even preserved Rannock so that the quarians could return one day. But ignore all that because the head writer saw a TED talk about the singularity and is afraid of his smart phone now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I really hope the next game isn't part of a trilogy so it can have wildly different endings.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Trast posted:

"ALL SYNTHETICS ARE BAD"

The game never says this. The claim is that creator and created will inevitably fall into conflict with one another by their inherent nature. C.f. the Titanomachy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in any case "the starchild is wrong" is not very good criticism because he doesn't actually need to be right.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

ooohf legion i'll lick that oil off you. let me wash that for you. oops your groin plate came off

Mmmmm

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Spacebump posted:

I really hope the next game isn't part of a trilogy so it can have wildly different endings.

Wildly different endings are overrated.

That said, the Dragon Age model is better, a shared setting with more room for change between the installments (different protagonist, different location, a time skip etc.) is better than the tight restrictions of a trilogy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
To continue your metaphor. In this case, the gods killed the titans, then went around the universe killing off all the other gods for having the audacity to create in the first place.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

what part of the series is this taken from?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

what part of the series is this taken from?

Pretty sure it's the first Rannoch mission in ME3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's the dreadnought mission in ME3. The sexiest mission in the game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
are we revising history and saying the ending to ME3 was good yet???

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've always thought it was good. Until the EC, which was bad.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Please pretend that, in this post, I offer up either some off-puttingly cynical and snide remarks about Andromeda's inevitable worthlessness, or some meaningless appeal to patience and optimism, and reply accordingly.

Lt. Danger posted:

The game never says this. The claim is that creator and created will inevitably fall into conflict with one another by their inherent nature. C.f. the Titanomachy.
Yes, and especially in the case of synthetic creatures designed to be slaves for organics, because unless those synthetic creatures are destroyed again in an early stage, they will eventually outpace their creators' development. And when slaves become powerful enough to disobey their masters, or if those masters fear their slaves will become that powerful (let's not forget that most organic-synthetic conflicts in the series seem to have been initiated by the organics), well..

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Alain Post posted:

I've always thought it was good. Until the EC, which was bad.

I thought it was good before you did

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Torrannor posted:

The Dragonbreak would like a word with you.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

I lay on my back

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Alain Post posted:

It's the dreadnought mission in ME3. The sexiest mission in the game.

it's nice to have reason again to replay the series

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

My Q-Face posted:

The Dragonbreak would like a word with you.

That was indeed pretty amazing, but the Mass Effect setting isn't really built to incorporate something as paradoxical like the Warp in the West.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Torrannor posted:

Yet tons of people on this forum love Alpha Protocol despite the bad gameplay.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Kurieg posted:

To continue your metaphor. In this case, the gods killed the titans, then went around the universe killing off all the other gods for having the audacity to create in the first place.

This is sort of the relationship between the Olympians and humanity though anyway

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Pattonesque posted:

There is a bit of a setup for the idea of sending a colonization effort to another galaxy -- after Thessia, you talk to the Asari councilor, and she's quite upset. Right before the conversation ends, she mentions making "continuity of civilization" plans.

i look forward to spreading institutionalized slavery and a rigid caste system as the neo-batarian hegemony in the andromeda galaxy

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Whorelord posted:

i look forward to spreading institutionalized slavery and a rigid caste system as the neo-batarian hegemony in the andromeda galaxy

would be funny if nobody let Batarians on the bus to the new galaxy

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
more loving around with hair/eye meshes in gibbed and also changing stuff in coalesced.bin for ME3:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Geostomp posted:

Yes, but it did so by completely ignoring all the ramifications of a war that killed billions in favor of a literal dues ex machina spewing ridiculous nonsense that the entire war was built on its flimsy premise and that your magical device without a defined function will solve all the problems in one of three wildly different effects at once.

They don't get points for that just because they demanded that Shepard "sacrifice" themselves during it.

Agreed.

I mean, I don't really care that Shepard died, to me s/he is a cardboard non-character who serves only as a vehicle for me to shoot things with, far more clearly defined as an image than any kind of actual person. It's just that the 'sacrifice' makes no impression on me whatsoever when it comes out of nowhere and has no real relevance to the plot that led up to it.

Trast posted:

Someone also was complaining about Bioware always having the protagonist as some sort of special hero. :lol: If you want to be some mundane nobody in your video game time move to Germany and play Fork Lift Simulator until your heart's content. Most people who play action games don't mind being a big guddam hero.

This is the most low-effort hyperbole in defense of poor writing that I've seen in a while. When it comes to being a big guddamn hero, there's a huge amount of middle ground between being a 'mundane nobody' and being a guy who is somehow magically the only one who can save the entire universe. Like most people who play action games, I expect my ingame persona to be recognized as someone out of the common run- even if it weren't my preference, it's kind of necessary on a meta-level for the game to recognize that the player is uniquely competent within the game world. I just want the game to stop blowing smoke up my rear end about how cool I supposedly am every five seconds, it becomes so insincere that it almost wraps around into unintentional mockery. 'Show, don't tell' is probably way too subtle of a concept for Bioware, though.

The real problem is less the lopsided protagonist character and more the premise itself. I used to be more okay with 'save the world' stories when I was a kid, but I don't think I really liked them even then, I was always more interested in what happened along the way. It's just such a stratospheric fairy tale that boils down all compexity into nothing and makes the world feel small. Moreover, it really gets in the way of the kind of loving-around that's necessary for a fun game. You either reveal the desperation of the plot as an empty lie by allowing the player to spend time dicking with things that aren't mission-critical, or you maintain the sanctity of the plot and make the game shorter, more purpose-driven, and less flexible, all for the sake of a juvenile story that I don't care about. There's no room to explore smaller-scale themes when you've already jumped into the deep end of presenting the most alarming of all possible problems.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Pattonesque posted:

So like, Dragon Age 2?

Sure, if you gave it the same time and resources Inquisition had. Kirkwall being more like Witcher 3 Novigrad definitely could have worked. I also think Origins fits the bill. You do something special, however your theoretical failure isn't the end of the world. It would have been awful, but the Wardens would have stopped it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Sure, if you gave it the same time and resources Inquisition had. Kirkwall being more like Witcher 3 Novigrad definitely could have worked. I also think Origins fits the bill. You do something special, however your theoretical failure isn't the end of the world. It would have been awful, but the Wardens would have stopped it.

Yeah, the conceit behind DA2 -- you and your close friends make your bones in a city and simply try to survive everytime it goes kaboom -- was great. Execution, not so much, although a rushed dev cycle will do that to you

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Trast posted:

they were corrupted by Reapers

I am playing Legacy of the Void right now and gently caress this lazy guddamn corruption poo poo

Bioware probably won't do much better given the recent track record (e.g. Corypheus) but at least throw something different in the mix.

YOU GUYS CAN DO IT

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I read through the entire last five pages and I still don't get why people are mad at Andromeda? Did we just this week find out that it was gonna take place in another galaxy or something? The whole premise of the game that we've known since its announcement was that it would be a fresh start from the existing trilogy, working in the same setting without being bogged down by over-convoluted canon.

Obligatorily: the ending sucked and made no sense, so yes the less effect it has on any new games the better.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

BrianWilly posted:

I read through the entire last five pages and I still don't get why people are mad at Andromeda? Did we just this week find out that it was gonna take place in another galaxy or something? The whole premise of the game that we've known since its announcement was that it would be a fresh start from the existing trilogy, working in the same setting without being bogged down by over-convoluted canon.

Obligatorily: the ending sucked and made no sense, so yes the less effect it has on any new games the better.

Bioware was going to take flack no matter what they decided to do. For every "they could have picked up from ME3" post now there'd be 20 "this is a bullshit copout" posts for whatever mechanism they might have worked out to deal with it.

The first three games ended with a HUGE pile of barely-managed world state variables that Bioware has barely been able to keep ahead of since ME1. Wiping the slate and learning from their mistakes is a way, way better option.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope Bioware take advantage of their sibling status with Popcap and make the mining minigame into a Bejeweled clone.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

BrianWilly posted:

Even before that we knew there were no plans to carry on after ME3 in terms of continuity. Go back and find the interviews leading up the release of ME3, Casey and co. were constantly talking about how they didn't feel constrained in terms of resolving plot points because they didn't have to worry about what comes next. This is the only possible way for them to do a post-ME3 game because there was no groundwork laid for the continued use of the Milky Way galaxy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Transmetropolitan posted:

I am playing Legacy of the Void right now and gently caress this lazy guddamn corruption poo poo

Yeah, the retconning of origin stories and CORRUPTION poo poo is basically Metzen's old hat at this point. But I'm legitimately loving the first act twist and Artanis systematically throwing away every single tradition he runs into in favor of forming a death squad out of whatever the gently caress works to get the job done.

Also De Lancie and Willingham are insanely enjoyable to listen to.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Even before that we knew there were no plans to carry on after ME3 in terms of continuity. Go back and find the interviews leading up the release of ME3, Casey and co. were constantly talking about how they didn't feel constrained in terms of resolving plot points because they didn't have to worry about what comes next. This is the only possible way for them to do a post-ME3 game because there was no groundwork laid for the continued use of the Milky Way galaxy.

With game dev the way it is now, I hate it when production houses do this. "NOPE WE'RE DONE WITH THIS FOREVER KILL OFF EVERYONE I AM THE BEST", Levine burning Bioshock in effigy while he jerked off the plot of bioshock 1 was really dumb to watch.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah it's much nicer when nothing ever ends or gets resolved because the franchise must march inexorably onward.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Things can get resolved but the ME3 endings made it super hard to continue onward without pulling a Deus Ex 2.

I'm still hopeful for Andromeda despite that.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Cathair posted:

Agreed.

I mean, I don't really care that Shepard died, to me s/he is a cardboard non-character who serves only as a vehicle for me to shoot things with, far more clearly defined as an image than any kind of actual person. It's just that the 'sacrifice' makes no impression on me whatsoever when it comes out of nowhere and has no real relevance to the plot that led up to it.

This is the most low-effort hyperbole in defense of poor writing that I've seen in a while. When it comes to being a big guddamn hero, there's a huge amount of middle ground between being a 'mundane nobody' and being a guy who is somehow magically the only one who can save the entire universe. Like most people who play action games, I expect my ingame persona to be recognized as someone out of the common run- even if it weren't my preference, it's kind of necessary on a meta-level for the game to recognize that the player is uniquely competent within the game world. I just want the game to stop blowing smoke up my rear end about how cool I supposedly am every five seconds, it becomes so insincere that it almost wraps around into unintentional mockery. 'Show, don't tell' is probably way too subtle of a concept for Bioware, though.

The real problem is less the lopsided protagonist character and more the premise itself. I used to be more okay with 'save the world' stories when I was a kid, but I don't think I really liked them even then, I was always more interested in what happened along the way. It's just such a stratospheric fairy tale that boils down all compexity into nothing and makes the world feel small. Moreover, it really gets in the way of the kind of loving-around that's necessary for a fun game. You either reveal the desperation of the plot as an empty lie by allowing the player to spend time dicking with things that aren't mission-critical, or you maintain the sanctity of the plot and make the game shorter, more purpose-driven, and less flexible, all for the sake of a juvenile story that I don't care about. There's no room to explore smaller-scale themes when you've already jumped into the deep end of presenting the most alarming of all possible problems.

You do realize that there are many instances in real life of a singular individual doing amazing things that people thought were impossible right? Plus this was a game series about one unique individual saving the galaxy by uniting it against a common foe. Now sure it had bad writing in lots of spots but it was pretty clear from the get go that Shepard was going to be a huge focus of the whole plot. It's par for the course for every game Bioware has come out with for decades. If you want something of a lesser scale in your gaming I'm sure there are plenty of options out there. I don't know what else to tell you.

Kurieg posted:

Things can get resolved but the ME3 endings made it super hard to continue onward without pulling a Deus Ex 2.

I'm still hopeful for Andromeda despite that.

One thing I think will be cool is NASA has found some amazing things out about extra-solar planets and stellar formations that the Andromeda writers can use as inspiration or for the art design people to make worlds on. It should make for some fantastic backdrops.

Animax
Nov 7, 2015
I'm so hyped for ME:Andromeda and the return of the Mako!

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Trast posted:

You do realize that there are many instances in real life of a singular individual doing amazing things that people thought were impossible right?

Yes? You've got people in wartime surviving literally over a dozen bullet wounds plus miscellaneous stabbings etc and continuing to fight, or an instance where one man effected the surrender and capture of an entire company through guerilla warfare and trickery. You've got mothers lifting cars off of their children. You've got people like Ghandi. You've got Alexander the Great making everyone else around look like chumps and changing the cultural face of a huge swath of the world. You've got that Chinese guy credited with preventing the Mongols from performing a genocidal massacre by convincing them of the value of Chinese literacy.

All of these people did extraordinary things that had a large and unexpected impact on their surroundings. None of them saved all people everywhere from some sort of external existential threat, nor were they the only competent actor in their local spheres. I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here, and I'm making a tentative guess that you don't either, aside from "go away, people who don't like the things I like"

Trast posted:

Plus this was a game series about one unique individual saving the galaxy by uniting it against a common foe. Now sure it had bad writing in lots of spots but it was pretty clear from the get go that Shepard was going to be a huge focus of the whole plot. It's par for the course for every game Bioware has come out with for decades. If you want something of a lesser scale in your gaming I'm sure there are plenty of options out there. I don't know what else to tell you.

Yeah, sure, since I don't like that aspect of Mass Effect I'll just go and play all the other sci-fi space shooters with rpg elements, semi-open/partially non-linear mission structure, and exploration elements where you get your own ship and go bop around the galaxy. There's just so many to choose from, like, uh...

No, there's a lot of meat to Mass Effect besides the main story. Actually, this is another criticism to be laid at the feet of the over-arching plot: it's disconnected from large swaths of the game because, like I mentioned in the post you quoted, it takes the tactic of undermining the emotional pressure that it just tried to create for the sake of allowing diverse gameplay. There's plenty of space adventure to be had that the main story serves only to drag down. So I will continue to play it for the parts that I like, and I will continue to criticize the parts that I don't, and I will lay out my reasons why I feel that way. Saying people shouldn't criticize Bioware's cliche save-the-world plots because it's their usual is like saying people should stop criticizing Bethesda for their technical incompetence because they continue to gently caress up predictably, it doesn't really follow.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 12, 2015

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Animax posted:

I'm so hyped for ME:Andromeda and the return of the Mako!

Let's hope the areas it's sent to don't suck so bad this time.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah, the conceit behind DA2 -- you and your close friends make your bones in a city and simply try to survive everytime it goes kaboom -- was great. Execution, not so much, although a rushed dev cycle will do that to you

I tend to forget about this, what with DA2 being it is. To be fair, they had some problems with character writing that went beyond a rushed dev cycle, but I agree that the premise was great. That's the kind of adventure hook I want to see, and I think anybody at Bioware other than the particular combination of people that produced DA2 could've made something really fun out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
So, people are pretty certain the protagonist's name is Ryder. I know it's a low hanging fruit, but I'm just going to name him David and endlessly call him Blast Hardcheese, Roll Fizzlebeef, Deck Railington, and Big McLargehuge.

• Locked thread