Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Combed Thunderclap posted:

He kind of has a Lex Luthor look without the hair.

You just added ten years to his life. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

foobardog posted:

Obama Power will soon go away, I will be Fuhrer some day.

You will jog for the master race.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

When are they getting rid of Rand Paul though

i think he'd like to know that as well. dude looks and acts like hes just punching the clock until he can drop out with a minimum of static.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

kelvron posted:

That poo poo is now trending on Facebook. gently caress this world.

It doesn't even really look like a wig to me? It just looks like she has a ton of hairspray.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

I think Kasich is probably going to be the next delegated to the kiddy debates.

I'm sort of amazed that the kiddie table debates are still a thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next network drop them.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It doesn't even really look like a wig to me? It just looks like she has a ton of hairspray.

They need to decide if they are angry about her dying her hair or wearing a wig. Can't have it both ways on this one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I don't think you "get" Matt Drudge.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

I'm sort of amazed that the kiddie table debates are still a thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see the next network drop them.
Would the RNC be okay with that?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This debate apparently had almost half the ratings of the other debates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Would the RNC be okay with that?

Most likely, yes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

This debate apparently had almost half the ratings of the other debates.

I think there are two factors at play here:

1. Fewer people have FBN as part of their cable package.

2. Trump hasn't done anything interesting in the last couple debates and that's why people were watching.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

I don't think you "get" Matt Drudge.

Yeah. I don't think you really appreciate the fact that Hillary is old and sickly and likely to keel over at any moment during her prospective presidency, so shouldn't we elect someone younger, healthier, handsome and oiled like Marco Rubio?

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

VanSandman posted:

Fiorina will be in for longer. The Republican establishment wants a woman up there as a soft counter to Hillary.

Good. She is so bad that as their token female she's a huge detriment. She makes Hil look that much better by comparison. So really she's doing the Lord's work without knowing it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Mark Levin repeats the Drudge wig headline to Donald Trump and then Drudge links to an audio clip of it.

http://www.marklevinshow.com/2015/11/11/trump-it-was-shocking-to-see-hillarys-hair/

And the circle is complete :pray:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah. I don't think you really appreciate the fact that Hillary is old and sickly and likely to keel over at any moment during her prospective presidency, so shouldn't we elect someone younger, healthier, handsome and oiled like Marco Rubio?

Was it Drudge pushing her wearing grandma glasses as a sign of her getting brain damage somehow?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

Was it Drudge pushing her wearing grandma glasses as a sign of her getting brain damage somehow?

Yes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

I'm guessing they'll drop the kiddie table debates once they drop to five

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JT Jag posted:

I'm guessing they'll drop the kiddie table debates once they drop to five

Yes, it will definitely be a result of winnowing, but a lot of these guys can hold on all the way to Iowa. How much longer are the networks going to set aside 1-2 hours to hear what Rick Santorum has to say?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

Yes, it will definitely be a result of winnowing, but a lot of these guys can hold on all the way to Iowa. How much longer are the networks going to set aside 1-2 hours to hear what Rick Santorum has to say?

How high a threshold do you expect to see? Anything above 5% might see significant backlash.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aliquid posted:

How high a threshold do you expect to see? Anything above 5% might see significant backlash.

I don't know, but I'm guessing if they can find an excuse to limit it to the top 10, top 8, or whatever, they will.

It will probably depend on the network. I'm sure the undercard debate gets more viewers than whatever FBN or CNBC normally shows, but is it the same for CNN and Fox?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

kelvron posted:

That poo poo is now trending on Facebook. gently caress this world.
Facebook also had Trump's "refusal" to go on Last Week Tonight as a "trending" blurb, without John Oliver's response that Trump had never been invited in the first place. You know, the bit that made it an actual story.

Whoever or whatever is responsible for Facebook's "trending" politics is set up to perpetuate terrible right-wing-fascist comment sections, glad you finally noticed.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Republicans to court: "Invalidate net neutrality because we tried to pass a law restricting it, thus proving we never intended to let the FCC do so in 1996." Using legislative history to justify a court decision? IOKIYAR.

Meanwhile, Chuck Grassley is blocking State Department nominees until they admit Hillary Clinton was a doo-doo head.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Hollismason posted:

When are they getting rid of Rand Paul though

Mid-debate.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I take it the former should not be able to pass such a bill through congress...right?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

That's not what legislative history is.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Fun fact: a subset of the net neutrality regulations are present in the TPP and would thus be unremovable if the treaty is ratified.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

The Kingfish posted:

It got closed.

Oh okay, thanks for the heads up.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ogmius815 posted:

That's not what legislative history is.

Yeah I know. Legislative history is that done prior to the passage of the law. I'm not as well versed in how originalists like interpreting based on subsequent attempts like this though. I think they're more lenient, but it still relies on interpreting legislative intent, at least of subsequent laws.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FourLeaf posted:

Those articles, especially the Mizzou one, articulate the problem really well. When activists show this kind of disgraceful behavior, it alienates people sympathetic to their cause, and opens them up wide for attack by their enemies.

When I say "people sympathetic to their cause," I don't mean "if only they were nicer they could get the racists on their side!" I'm talking about people like myself. This exact sort of poo poo, realizing that many student activists don't actually seem to be concerned with the ethics of their own behavior (the spitting! holy poo poo) and are also incredibly foolish about it ("I need some muscle over here," great job saying that on camera) is why I got burnt out and quit almost all the groups I was in at school. The only one that actually did anything useful and practical was the Planned Parenthood action group.

When you're fighting for a cause, you are inevitably going to experience a lot of bullshit. Like, for example, the media grossly misrepresenting you. You have to learn to deal with it and ideally find a way to use it for your own ends, not throw a hilarious tantrum for everyone to see.
The Yale one is basically idiots blowing up about hypothetical offensive Halloween costumes, never saw anything about actual costumes. A faculty member sends an email stating that maybe we could try actually talking to each other and perhaps learning from each other in college instead of instantly wrangling together a Twitter outrage mob at the first glance of a perceived slight. So they demand she and her husband be removed from their advisory posts, and probably lose their jobs. Cause who actually wants to learn anything in college? The one real issue here is the alleged racism from the sorority which I find pretty easy to believe could have taken place. However instead of letting Yale conduct an investigation they went and rolled it into the unwarranted harassing of a couple of innocent faculty members.

The Mizzou one is also pretty stupid. Some idiots who may not even be students yell a racial slur at a student and somebody paints a poo poo-swastika on a wall. It's pretty hard to investigate both of those, so what exactly was the school supposed to do about it? Reasonable actions, not the dumbass demands that actually got issued. Mizzou athletics is apparently a pretty organization, letting their players know they can bully the administration like that probably wasn't the best move.

30.5 Days posted:

lol are you implying that the journalists here have been assaulted?

No, I don't believe in assaulting paprazzi, so it's great that nobody was assaulted.

I do agree with treating paprazzi like the scum of the earth, though, so why's everyone coming out against the protesters unless they believe they don't deserve the same consideration as movie stars?
If a cop had done this to a journalist you'd be making GBS threads your pants over it and saying it was definitely assault.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I think there are two factors at play here:

1. Fewer people have FBN as part of their cable package.

2. Trump hasn't done anything interesting in the last couple debates and that's why people were watching.

also like most news things the bulk of viewers are old people

everyone else loses interest pretty quickly

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

If a cop had done this to a journalist you'd be making GBS threads your pants over it and saying it was definitely assault.

Police are agents of the state, college students protesting are not. Journalists are supposed to be adversarial with those in positions of authority, not people opposing authority.

That whole "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable" chestnut. The fact that so many in the media have apparently forgotten this distinction and treat college students who don't cooperate with them the way they should be treating Senators and crooked city councilmen is a big problem.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 12, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hopefully we all learned in the last 24 hours that "poo poo is blowing up on social media" may not indicate that any of it is actually true.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

Police are agents of the state, college students protesting are not. Journalists are supposed to be adversarial with those in positions of authority, not people opposing authority.

That whole "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable" chestnut.
He wasn't being adversarial towards the students, or the stupid teacher. You idiots keep acting like he was there to pull some kind of James O'Keefe gotcha! poo poo. He's a student journalist who was probably only there because he was told to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's understandable that many activists are upset at media coverage, and that it manifests in very emotional ways when they're actually a part of the community, but it's at the very mildest a dick move to treat a dude like that for no cause. He handled himself very well and as far as I know he's been pretty clear that despite being obviously not thrilled that he got pushed around he doesn't want to get vengeful with them and wants it to drop. This is all entirely moot because even the people in the protest involved said 'yea that was hosed up we were in a bad place there and did a lovely thing' so I really don't know what all this hand wringing is supposed to do short of demanding public self-flagellation to atone for their Damaging The Movement (as figured by a dude on the internet who's never even been to Missouri but boy does he have opinions about the greater struggle, comrades)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Casimir Radon posted:

The Yale one is basically idiots blowing up about hypothetical offensive Halloween costumes, never saw anything about actual costumes. A faculty member sends an email stating that maybe we could try actually talking to each other and perhaps learning from each other in college instead of instantly wrangling together a Twitter outrage mob at the first glance of a perceived slight. So they demand she and her husband be removed from their advisory posts, and probably lose their jobs. Cause who actually wants to learn anything in college? The one real issue here is the alleged racism from the sorority which I find pretty easy to believe could have taken place. However instead of letting Yale conduct an investigation they went and rolled it into the unwarranted harassing of a couple of innocent faculty members.

The Mizzou one is also pretty stupid. Some idiots who may not even be students yell a racial slur at a student and somebody paints a poo poo-swastika on a wall. It's pretty hard to investigate both of those, so what exactly was the school supposed to do about it? Reasonable actions, not the dumbass demands that actually got issued. Mizzou athletics is apparently a pretty organization, letting their players know they can bully the administration like that probably wasn't the best move.

Lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Counterpoint: There's no good reason to ever go to Missouri, and plenty of good reasons to flee the state at earliest opportunity.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VanSandman posted:

Counterpoint: There's no good reason to ever go to Missouri, and plenty of good reasons to flee the state at earliest opportunity.

Fair point

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

He wasn't being adversarial towards the students, or the stupid teacher. You idiots keep acting like he was there to pull some kind of James O'Keefe gotcha! poo poo. He's a student journalist who was probably only there because he was told to.

He wasn't being particularly aggressive or adversarial, but he was going on about his first amendment rights, which had nothing to do with the situation at hand, since the people preventing him from taking pictures were not government officials or law enforcement. However all the other media types that have subsequently latched onto this story to bemoan the big bad college students oppressing that photographer are displaying exactly the attitude I described.

For the record I think shoving the guy and calling for muscle and all that poo poo was wrong and stupid. I just think that all this weeping and concern trolling over the oppression of journalists by protestors is extremely problematic and indicates a fundamental problem with how some in the press view their jobs.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 12, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I really don't know what all this hand wringing is supposed to do short of demanding public self-flagellation to atone for their Damaging The Movement

It's part of a long, and ongoing, argument on the left over whether speech can cause enough harm that prohibiting it is justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hulk Krogan posted:

He wasn't being particularly aggressive or adversarial, but he was going on about his first amendment rights, which had nothing to do with that situation. However all the other media types that have subsequently latched onto this story to bemoan the big bad college students oppressing that photographer are displaying exactly the attitude I described.

He was totally right that he had the right to be there and their disapproval meant literally nothing about that, and it's not his fault that other idiots used him to push an agenda. Equating that to getting aggressive is absurd.

Joementum posted:

It's part of a long, and ongoing, argument on the left over whether speech can cause enough harm that prohibiting it is justified.

I guess I just don't see how an incident where even the people involved are saying 'yep we were in the wrong' plays into that argument other than using this event as a cudgel to be all 'lol safe spaces right' by other shitheads. I guess it just feels the same as the whole 'here's a picture of a guy taking a dump on/next to a cop car' from OWS. Basically everyone agreed that dude was a retard and not really a symbol of the actual issues in the movement that need to be handled, and the only people who seemed to care about it just so happened to want to use it to whine about how really if you think about it isn't this proof the entire movement is meaningless and bad?

• Locked thread