Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As far as seinen action goes Spirit Circle is probably the tops right now besides Vinland Saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarrisan posted:

Something I just realized after rereading current chapters is a neat little explanation as for why spirits and energy are so prevalent during Fortuna's era, but not so much the farther into the future you go. That's because it takes place just after the calamity in Lafale's era, which sent so many spirits back into the aether or whatever that it caused the world to be juiced up, as it were. As the overall population density increases with medical technology, the overall spirituality of the world goes down, because all of those spirits are inhabiting living bodies instead of swimming in the universal soup. Or in Lafale's case, trapped in the towers.

Has it been stated that Fortuna and Lafalle take place in the past? I was under the impression that Fortuna took place even further in the future than Lafalle. After all, during Lafalle's flashback they talk about how society used to be normal before the population began to die off (as a result of the spirit repository thing). Actually, it seems like that pretty much has to be the case; there's no way some civilization on the scale of Lafalle's would somehow disappear and be undetectable by modern archeology.

Rodyle posted:

As far as seinen action goes Spirit Circle is probably the tops right now besides Vinland Saga.

I would say that stuff like Spirit Circle and Vinland Saga are very good (though I'd say that Spirit Circle is way better than Vinland Saga), but they're still not really absolute top-tier manga; that would be stuff by authors like Taiyo Matsumoto or some of the stuff by Inio Asano (there are some other authors like this I can't remember the names of off the top of my head). I get the feeling that those authors' works are very minimally bound to the common tropes of the medium and have much better and/or more unique art, and they're also probably more likely to be remembered decades from now. Stuff like Spirit Circle/Vinland Saga is basically like a very well written pulp novel.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Do either Asano or Matsumoto have some ongoing action series that I ignored? Because that's what I was talking about.

E: I also would say it's super unfair to shove Makoto Yukimura of all people into the realm of pulp authors but that's a different discussion.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 5, 2015

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Has it been stated that Fortuna and Lafalle take place in the past? I was under the impression that Fortuna took place even further in the future than Lafalle. After all, during Lafalle's flashback they talk about how society used to be normal before the population began to die off (as a result of the spirit repository thing). Actually, it seems like that pretty much has to be the case; there's no way some civilization on the scale of Lafalle's would somehow disappear and be undetectable by modern archeology.

It's kinda funky. Clearly the huge crater in Fortuna's time is from the explosion in Lafalle's, and there is all this ancient technology from Lafalle's era around. So we have Lafalle > Fortuna. But then Fortuna refers to all of his other lives, including "present day" as the "future."

Frankly all of this other-lives/other-dimensions stuff is just hard to understand in a linear manner, and maybe it's not supposed to be. Fortuna's time is on the one hand a time that seems to exist in the far future... and yet his is a lifetime that existed before Fuuta's (Otherwise, his prediction that his soul will be destroyed in Fuuta's lifetime doesn't make sense, since it would have already been destroyed if Fuuta's lifetime was in the past). How time works on a historical scale isn't necessarily the way it works on a spiritual scale, it seems. The Universe just drops souls wherever in time it seems they fit best, I guess.

Hopefully we'll get some more answers, or at least clues, as the story comes to a close.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarrisan posted:

It's kinda funky. Clearly the huge crater in Fortuna's time is from the explosion in Lafalle's, and there is all this ancient technology from Lafalle's era around. So we have Lafalle > Fortuna. But then Fortuna refers to all of his other lives, including "present day" as the "future."

Frankly all of this other-lives/other-dimensions stuff is just hard to understand in a linear manner, and maybe it's not supposed to be. Fortuna's time is on the one hand a time that seems to exist in the far future... and yet his is a lifetime that existed before Fuuta's (Otherwise, his prediction that his soul will be destroyed in Fuuta's lifetime doesn't make sense, since it would have already been destroyed if Fuuta's lifetime was in the past). How time works on a historical scale isn't necessarily the way it works on a spiritual scale, it seems. The Universe just drops souls wherever in time it seems they fit best, I guess.

Hopefully we'll get some more answers, or at least clues, as the story comes to a close.

Hm, you're right about him mentioning the lives being the future, but that also doesn't seem like it can make sense for the reasons we both mentioned. Then again, the whole concept of "past" and "future" doesn't seem to make much sense in this situation.

Rodyle posted:

Do either Asano or Matsumoto have some ongoing action series that I ignored? Because that's what I was talking about.

E: I also would say it's super unfair to shove Makoto Yukimura of all people into the realm of pulp authors but that's a different discussion.

If you're only talking about just action series, then yeah I probably agree that there isn't much (if anything) out there that is better (I know you said seinen action, but I guess I don't really consider Spirit Circle to be an action series). I'm not sure what I would call the current best ongoing manga, but I'm very hesitant to pass a judgement on the matter considering I keep on hearing about really good stuff I wasn't aware of beforehand (poster coathat in particular is always posting really awesome stuff that I hadn't heard of before). I think that the sort of manga we hear about in the West tends to be the more popular, pulp-ish titles.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure if it's been proven or disproven at this point but it seemed to me that Fortuna's period was sort of removed from the normal axis of time, like a Chrono Trigger End of Time situation.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I recall it being said somewhere that souls can reincarnate out of order. At the least, the lives were already clearly out of chronological order. With that, there's plenty of evidence Fortana is in the distant future.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New Sengoku Youko!!

Last couple of pages are pretty, pretty good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure if it's been proven or disproven at this point but it seemed to me that Fortuna's period was sort of removed from the normal axis of time, like a Chrono Trigger End of Time situation.

At the very least, it takes place chronologically after the "distant future" Lafalle period. So it doesn't seem to be removed from the normal timeline.

Nate RFB posted:

New Sengoku Youko!!

Very little happened that chapter. Not bad by any means, but it's kind of frustrating with a monthly manga.

Speaking of which, are both Sengoku Youko and Spirit Circle ongoing manga? If so, how does that work? I can't see the author being able to crank out two chapters a month, so does he alternate them or something?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 12, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

New Sengoku Youko!!

God drat they sure are.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of which, are both Sengoku Youko and Spirit Circle ongoing manga? If so, how does that work? I can't see the author being able to crank out two chapters a month, so does he alternate them or something?
I believe they are, though SY scanlations have been so far behind the current chapter that it could be finished for all I know. As for how, some artists can certainly manage especially if they have simpler/less detailed art (which I think applies to Mizukami) or a lot of assistants.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is spirit circle even monthly? it feels like we get chapters less than that, and since it's crunchyroll it's presumably not a translation problem

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It definitely was at the start of its run, though it's gotten way more sporadic in the past 6 months or so.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

is spirit circle even monthly? it feels like we get chapters less than that, and since it's crunchyroll it's presumably not a translation problem

Except for the part where they didn't translate a chapter for a month.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

.Clash posted:

Except for the part where they didn't translate a chapter for a month.

Maybe it was on break that issue.

EDIT: Though checking up on it, they released two chapters at the beginning of this month so guess Crunchyroll ran into issues?

Allarion fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 12, 2015

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
sometimes cr runs behind on mangas. a lot of them, they're pretty timely on, but not always. Like that wedding ring one I forget the exact name of, is like 3 chapters behind at this point.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Matsuri Connection

A new one-shot has been translated, and it's pretty out there. I always love it when his characters have a blase 'oh is that all?' reaction to absurd magical bullshit. Gets me every time.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 19, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was fun!

Also, a surprisingly pensive chapter of Middle-Aged Angel Guy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yay! The last volume of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer was waiting for me when i got home. :neckbeard:

Boo! I apparently pre-ordered it twice so it was actually 2 copies. :saddowns:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

Yay! The last volume of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer was waiting for me when i got home. :neckbeard:

Boo! I apparently pre-ordered it twice so it was actually 2 copies. :saddowns:

Oh poo poo! That's the final one? Gotta order it so I can finally get my hard copy manga only friend to read the series.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Squidster posted:

Matsuri Connection

A new one-shot has been translated, and it's pretty out there. I always love it when his characters have a blase 'oh is that all?' reaction to absurd magical bullshit. Gets me every time.

This is good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SHOOTING
STAR
WISH

I've lost track of how many times i've read the ending of LBH and it gets me every single time.

I was gonna write a lot more about it, but i think i'm to emotional right now. Haha, maybe later then.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
New chapter of Spirit Circle. Fuuta's coming out swinging, this chapter rules.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Spirit Circle is SO GOOD you guys.

So good.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Jesus christ this chapter is pulling it all together fantastically.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So, so great.

Also finally got the last volume of Biscuit Hammer. Some of the translation choices are a bit odd, and the color pages have some weird dot artifacts, but god drat it's nice finally having a physical version of that series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like this chapter or the next, this will start playing in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGaneyDfyls

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It's ending, guys!! Fuuta's already really got it together, as a person.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i'm the guy who named his kid 'futa'

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
it sounds completely different you tone deaf gaijin !

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

So, so great.

Also finally got the last volume of Biscuit Hammer. Some of the translation choices are a bit odd, and the color pages have some weird dot artifacts, but god drat it's nice finally having a physical version of that series.

Agreed, specifically i like this version (from the JManga version of the last chapter) Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer spoilers! a whole lot better. But god drat i'm so happy to have a dead tree version of this poo poo i don't even care.

And man Spirit Circle is good. drat good.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The newest chapter is out and it was surprising, especially the twist at the end.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I want to shake Mizukami until Spirit Circle finishes.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I imagine that might have the opposite effect.

Also, goddamn.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Easy answer is this is how the "brother" character that's been in past lives shows up, but maybe it's time for Rei to enter the picture again? Boy, that'd be a trip.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Magical Mary cameo on page 5 :allears:

Also, don't stop there!

GAH!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sengoku Youko 73, aptly titled "Fierce Battle".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I just noticed how weird it looks for Jinun's tail to be coming out the top of his back.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

what a chapter! :allears: