Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, in classic fashion I was assigned to go liberate a settlement and build a recruitment beacon, "Hangman's Alley" Well, not a very catchy name but oh well off I go, kill a few bandits, open the workshop and scope the territory... Its a god drat alley, about 200 feet by 75 feet... wtf... oh well, Guess Ill start building.

Now I have a small settlement about two blocks from Diamond City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Only took me like four times, but I would've stayed there until the end of days until I got that pie. I mean look at it.

You bitch, I tried like 20 times and it never works.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vargs posted:

Ten minutes after losing her child, husband, and upper-middle class suburban white bread lifestyle, World's #1 Mom decides that punk haircuts, miniguns, and uncomfortably-named Gas Station Fortresses are in, and dumb poopy babies are out.

Gonna be awkward when I actually get around to the main quest.

Is that haircut even in the game proper or is this a mod or what?

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

How Much Art posted:

Perhaps you or someone else can explain why my supply lines aren't working like they're supposed to. I'm real early in the game, I just have Sanctuary, the garage and Tenpines. I have 3 people in Sanctuary, two at the garage, two at Tenpines. I sent someone from the garage to Sanctuary (hilighted them, hit the supply lines button). I'll see them running around with a Brahmin near it, but none of the inventories end up being shared at all. Maybe I don't understand the point of them, but I assumed that it means the stuff you put in your workshop inventory (junk, food, weapons, etc.), say if I put it all in Sanctuary, it should now show up when I go to my workshop at the garage. It's irritating that this isn't explained properly.

ShadowMar posted:

this how supply lines work right? i dont want to set them up and find out bethesda did something dumb

A has a supply line to B
B has a supply line to C
A and C are now connected through B

Yea that's right, this is the way I have mine set up right now and everything is shared:

I figured out a very easy way to add new settlements to the supply line. When you select a settler and tell them to move to a new settlement, they instantly become a citizen of that settlement even though they are still standing right next to you. While standing there you can immediately assign them to the supply line from the new settlement back to the next closest link.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
Is there any way to look at something and figure out where my companions are at? I have 3 of them, 1 of them is with me, and the other 2 are not in Sanctuary where I dropped them off

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.
A quick Brotherhood of Steel question:

I joined the Brotherhood and did the quest for Danse where you go around and find out what happened to that one recon squad, and I managed to convince the survivor to rejoin the BoS, but now Danse won't give me any further quests - he just says "I'm busy right now, Initiate." Do I have to do the repeatable quest for Rhys and Haylen in order to progress with them further? Or is there something else I'm missing?

I haven't done much in the way of the main quest, is it possible that it's gated behind that?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

How do you get rid of the mole rat disease? Quest spoiler: Caught it while loving around in the secret vault 81, and it seems pretty persistant. Do I have to talk to the doctors at vault 81?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought this game was supposed to say your name? If it doesn't does it just mean it wasn't in the database or does it just do it rarely?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Parasara posted:

Is there any way to look at something and figure out where my companions are at? I have 3 of them, 1 of them is with me, and the other 2 are not in Sanctuary where I dropped them off

I need to know this too. At least there's a map icon for where you parked your power armor.

NESguerilla posted:

I thought this game was supposed to say your name? If it doesn't does it just mean it wasn't in the database or does it just do it rarely?

Only Codsworth the butler Mr. Handy does it. Probably would have been excessive for a game with hundreds of characters to all be able to speak over a thousand names.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Vargs posted:

Ten minutes after losing her child, husband, and upper-middle class suburban white bread lifestyle, World's #1 Mom decides that punk haircuts, miniguns, and uncomfortably-named Gas Station Fortresses are in, and dumb poopy babies are out.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kXXTMcYvKoE&t=20

Just gonna keep reposting this video whenever I can.

gently caress off dead gay babby, daddy's off to slay bitches and have adventures with his dogge. t:mad:

Btw, holy poo poo ghouls are legitimately terrifying in this game with how they move unexpectedly. :stonk:

If I found out my hubby was dead, babby was stolen, I was frozen against my knowledge for 200 years and arrived in post-apocalyptic hellhole, I'd be inclined to say gently caress it and go future punk too.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 12, 2015

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Kinger posted:

A quick Brotherhood of Steel question:

I joined the Brotherhood and did the quest for Danse where you go around and find out what happened to that one recon squad, and I managed to convince the survivor to rejoin the BoS, but now Danse won't give me any further quests - he just says "I'm busy right now, Initiate." Do I have to do the repeatable quest for Rhys and Haylen in order to progress with them further? Or is there something else I'm missing?

I haven't done much in the way of the main quest, is it possible that it's gated behind that?

Yeah just keep doing story stuff and eventually that chain will advance. You can't miss it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ulvirich posted:

How do you get rid of the mole rat disease? Quest spoiler: Caught it while loving around in the secret vault 81, and it seems pretty persistant. Do I have to talk to the doctors at vault 81?

Did you give the serum Curie gave you to the kid? If so you're stuck with it because that was the only dose.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

20 minutes into the game and Codsworth is already stuck on geometry good job Bethesda.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Hot Jam posted:

Yea that's right, this is the way I have mine set up right now and everything is shared:

I figured out a very easy way to add new settlements to the supply line. When you select a settler and tell them to move to a new settlement, they instantly become a citizen of that settlement even though they are still standing right next to you. While standing there you can immediately assign them to the supply line from the new settlement back to the next closest link.

Thanks I'll keep trying it, I'm starting to think I'm experiencing a bug or something... shocking I know.

I also understand that it's better to manually scrap all the junk items rather than just throwing them in the workshop inventory? Supposedly you get more out of them that way? Someone let me know what's up with that.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Republicans posted:

Did you give the

Gotcha, thanks.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

20 minutes into the game and Codsworth is already stuck on geometry good job Bethesda.

first mission i watched some npcs get stuck on geometry and then just walked away and did something else

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Hot Jam posted:

The gently caress

I had no idea this was even a game mechanic

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

with all the crazy poo poo in the fallout universe i wouldn't be surprised if they also just straight up made pencil lead from actual lead

Graphite is for communists and unions.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vargs posted:

Where did you get that hairstyle? :aaa:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Funkmaster General posted:

Do you like power armor? Then here's three pro tips, from me to you.

1) A companion wearing power armor does not drain the power core.

2) A power core with 1/100 charge sells for the same amount as one with 100/100.

3) Remove the power core from armor you aren't using so enemies can't hop in.

How do you actually repair the missing limbs? Well I guess repair isn't the right word, seeing as that suit of power armor is missing the arm. I'm assuming you have to find them somewhere.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 12, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ethanol posted:

first mission i watched some npcs get stuck on geometry and then just walked away and did something else

Unfortunately, I'm still in the initial quest and Codsworth is stuck on a prop and I can't advance :bravo:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just a reminder that you can play dress up with your settlers by giving them things and forcing them to equip them.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 12, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How Much Art posted:

I also understand that it's better to manually scrap all the junk items rather than just throwing them in the workshop inventory? Supposedly you get more out of them that way? Someone let me know what's up with that.
Wrench is a gear and some steel. If you use the wrench without scrapping it to build something that only needs the gear part, it apparently destroys the steel part of the wrench and you can't use it.

I personally only scrap junk that has rare poo poo like copper and circuitry.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

It just works.

It just works.

IT JUST loving WORKS, OKAY?? :stonklol:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Vargs posted:

If there was a "favorite this post" system on SA I would do it for this one. Hahaha.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

bhlaab posted:

The back story of Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas are incredibly general and based on circumstance. In the tradition of pen & paper rpgs you are a clean slate of a person thrown into a situation by an inciting incident and free to make up your mind about the specifics of your past and personality.

In Fallout 1 you are from a vault. You might have friends and family, you might not. You might be very young or very old. There are no details about what your life was like before being sent to find a water chip. You can pretend you were a maintenance man or a nurse or anything in between if that sort of roleplaying floats your boat. You might enjoy being a vault dweller, or you might wish to be free. Maybe you volunteered to go find a water chip, maybe you were forced to, maybe you're too unintelligent to even understand the mission. You can immediately decide you don't care about the vault or the super mutants and just piss about. You won't get an ending that way, but the game never contradicts this possibility. You can even sell out your vault and join the mutants.

In Fallout 2 you are a tribal. You are the descendant of the main character from Fallout 1, and you are called "The Chosen One" and sent to find a geck. Again, the details of your personal life and feelings are completely up to you, and you can ignore your quest. Just because other people tell you that you are the chosen one doesn't mean your character necessarily believes it.

In New Vegas they went to even greater lengths to maintain vagueness. You're just some courier who took a job. You could be anybody or from anywhere-- your pick. At many points in the game NPCs will ask you why you are looking for Benny and the game pointedly offers a list of motivations and allows you to choose between things like revenge, information, getting the chip back to finish your delivery... or you can just not care about Benny or the chip. There is one DLC that adds something specific to your character's backstory: that you had a previous job to deliver something. Even that doesn't sit right with me, but it's one minor mark against it in a DLC.

Fallout 3 is a little more specific but still somewhat acceptable. Like Fallout 1 you are a vault dweller, but this time you are very specifically eighteen years old. The circumstances of your birth and family life are set in stone: You definitely have a father and you definitely don't have a mother. That being said, it is up to you whether or not you hate your Dad, even if it isn't reflected by the game perfectly. For example, on your 10th birthday you can shoot him in the head with a BB gun until he passes out and he doesn't seem to care. He will scold you for detonating a nuclear bomb in the middle of a town, but he still trusts you with saving the wasteland with a water purification scheme that doesn't make any sense. The game is clearly built around the idea that you love the Dad character, but it does acquiesce to you in small doses if you really push the idea that you do not. And you can just refuse to care about him and never bother to save him from Vault 112, like in the previous games, although it's sometimes difficult within dialogue choices to avoid the fact that the game intends you play along with its story (instead of the other way around).

Fallout 4 tosses all of the above out the window within the first 20 minutes. The game literally opens with the male character personally filling you in on what he's all about. Specific information inside the game states the following: You are either a married man or woman within the right age to have a relatively newborn baby. You are definitely not homosexual. You are definitely upper-middle class and come from a nice suburb. If you are the husband you've served in the military. If you are a woman you have a degree in law. You have a baby. The baby is definitely named Shaun. You definitely love this baby. You definitely love your spouse. You definitely mourn your spouse once he or she is dead. You very specifically state "I'm going to find my son". You definitely care about finding your son. Whether you hate newspapers or support news, however.... that much is up to you~

Thank you for eloquently summing up while the most glaring of FO4's changes is so loving dumb itt

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Vargs posted:

How did you get that haircut??

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah I noticed this and went with the fix above.

Nope! Time to play the scrapping minigame where you see how fast you can click R then E while trying to avoid building the currently selected structure.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think my Mama Murphy is broken :(

I kept hearing her talk while I was crafting, looked around to find her and then I saw.. this.

Also, does anyone know what causes this? I'm assuming it's a very visible aritfact of godrays being set to low (enlarge image):

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How do I fix broken stuff in settlements? The drive-in apparently has a broken generator and there's no prompt on how to actually fix it.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

How Much Art posted:

Thanks I'll keep trying it, I'm starting to think I'm experiencing a bug or something... shocking I know.

When I had disjointed supply lines nothing seemed to work right, only when i got it to be one continuous route did it start sharing. Also keep in mind you can have only ONE outgoing supply line from any given settlement. You can't for example have sanctuary supplying both red rocket and abernathy, you'd have to go rocket -> sanctuary -> abernathy

The thing about manually scrapping has apparently been debunked, the extra pieces supposedly show up later, just not immediately, or something.

conversation piece posted:

The gently caress

I had no idea this was even a game mechanic

Yea they dont tell you it exists or how to do it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So wait... You need to drop your junk on the ground and then scrap them manually one by one for best efficiency? I've just been hoarding my junk on my person until I make a mod for a gun where it converts automatically.

Why can't you convert junk to scrap in your inventory?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

combat armor is way to white, its so ugly on basically everything.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So wait... You need to drop your junk on the ground and then scrap them manually one by one for best efficiency? I've just been hoarding my junk on my person until I make a mod for a gun where it converts automatically.

Why can't you convert junk to scrap in your inventory?

Because there's no need to normally, at crafting stations it does it for you.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Speedball posted:

Because there's no need to normally, at crafting stations it does it for you.

That's what I do already. It'd be nice to just scrap things beforehand though while out in the wilderness to know just how much scrap you actually have.

But why are people doing the drop junk thing?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Roobanguy posted:

combat armor is way to white, its so ugly on basically everything.

Can't you paint it?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Jobchat: is there a limit to the number of crops a single person can work? I've got a handful of things in my garden that won't let me assign them to my farmer dude, and he won't self-assign either. (Alternatively, can crops die or something?)

Broken Cog posted:

Just a reminder that you can play dress up with your settlers by giving them things and forcing them to equip them.

This is basically the only way I know what anyone's job is.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fun physics bug I wish I'd gotten a video of. Fighting a bunch of mobsters, headshot one with the shotgun.

The head stays stationary in midair for a few seconds like Wile E Coyote and the body rockets off into space...

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So is anyone else finding they went into the game going "I'm going to do X Y and Z" and found they are kinda doing whatever it takes to survive regardless of their original plans? I went in wanting to be all lasers all the time but I'm finding I'm pulling out the scavenged combat shotgun or the customized .38 pipe hand gun just as often as my laser rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I found my first issue of "Picket Fences"

"High Tech Light"

• Locked thread