Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Filthy Hans posted:

I just took over an outpost, but I damaged the well with grenade shrapnel. The game tells me to repair it so it will work, and of course since it's Fallout 4 there's no explanation how to accomplish this. I highlighted the pump and didn't see a repair function. I then tried "store item in workbench" and now I can't find it in the bench menu and still don't know how to repair stuff. Help me, goonsires.

I just hit A to repair it while in build mode, but maybe you're missing some parts since this is a new settlement and you don't have the resource supply chain set up from your primary settlement yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

How do I get rid of this stupid loving molerat disease?

Pretty sure you have to use the cure on yourself instead of giving it to the kid. Or don't get hit once by the molerats. I'm a couple hours past doing the Vault 81 stuff and didn't even notice the disease until your post, so it's too late for me to go back. I might just spawn another cure with the console because permanently gimping my character is dumb as gently caress.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
If you get to vault 81 don't save the loving kid, you'll be stuck with an incurable disease that will clutter your status screen the gently caress up

Either I'm missing something or the folks at Bethesda are some right loving cunts

Dezztroy posted:

Pretty sure you have to use the cure on yourself instead of giving it to the kid. Or don't get hit once by the molerats. I'm a couple hours past doing the Vault 81 stuff and didn't even notice the disease until your post, so it's too late for me to go back. I might just spawn another cure with the console because permanently gimping my character is dumb as gently caress.

I'd be very interested in the item ID if you come across it.

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 12, 2015

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I just hit A to repair it while in build mode, but maybe you're missing some parts since this is a new settlement and you don't have the resource supply chain set up from your primary settlement yet?

Maybe, this outpost doesn't have much of anything, just a power-armored raider who I grenaded. He had a fat man but launched it into the wall of the cliff I was on, otherwise it would have been a very bad day.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

If you get to vault 81 don't save the loving kid, you'll be stuck with an incurable disease that will clutter your status screen the gently caress up

Either I'm missing something or the folks at Bethesda are some right loving cunts

You asked for meaningful choices, and this is what you got....

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

rizuhbull posted:

Anyone else getting microstuttering? I literally get this in every single Bethesda game (and NV). Those have mods that fix it, unfortunately this does not, probably since it's new. Running the game borderless windowed removes vsnyc and solves the problem but the screen tearing makes the game unplayable.

Thanks to this post, I tried window/borderless mode. It makes F4 run like a loving dream, no stuttering inside or out, 60 fps all the way through. Probably the first game i've seen where this creates a frame improvement over regular fullscreen. I'm running on Ultra for reference.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

explosivo posted:

I am loving the game but holy poo poo, just let me mash Tab to back out of any menu or something.

loving SERIOUSLY... this is the most loving annoying thing w/ WASD... tab > tab > tab> *takes hand off mouse to hit enter* UGH

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Hot Jam posted:

Does anyone know if I accept leadership of the minutemen or join the BoS am I committed to anything? Does it even matter if I join all the factions?

There are 4 factions. Spoilers for how factions work below, but not really main story spoilers.

Minutemen, Brotherhood of Steel, Institute, and Railroad.

The Minutemen do not care what you do other faction wise. There is as far as I know, zero conflict with them and the other factions. If you have the main guy as your companion when you JOIN other factions he'll be mad about it and you'll lose rep, but you will otherwise be fine.

While you can join the Brotherhood, Institute, and Railroad at the same time, they all don't like each other. The Brotherhood and Railroad do not conflict. The Brotherhood and Railroad both conflict with the Institute however, which means at some point you will be asked whose side you are on, the Brotherhood/Railroad side, or the Institute side. This is handled by the questgiver saying upfront "If you do this thing which is a straight up attack on the Brotherhood/Institute, they will become hostile to you. Just fyi. Is that cool? You are down with us, right homie?"

Up until that point you can do as many quests as you want for all the factions. According to what I can scrounge up online, each faction gives something, though I have no idea what half the benefits are. Minutemen calls in AI support with laser weapons from the nearby towns. Brotherhood supposedly comes up with a vertibird/machine gun/power armor drop for you that plays sky captain air support ( I have done zero quests for them, so the Brotherhood for me is still 3 guys in a police station. ). Institute probably does something synth related. Railroad is ??????

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Thumbtacks posted:

How are you getting decent shots of your character from different angles? Whenever I try that it zooms in really close and I can't do it with weapons out.

you can rotate your third person camera while holding a weapon by holding down V or MMB while moving the mouse

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The beam splitter muzzle attachment for laser rifles sounded kinda lame on paper, but it literally turns your laser rifle into a laser shotgun but it still only uses 1 energy cell per shot, just like the rifle did. Seems pretty freaking awesome, definitely worth making at least one laser shotgun. :awesomelon:

Energy weapons sound so satisfying in this game.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So...

I have a tendency to restart games. I get a handle for the controls and mechanics after playing for a few hours, and then I restart the game with a better grasp of things. The problem is my PS4 copy won't let me do so. Every time one of my new characters tries to leave the pod, his body gets stuck and he can't move. It's a game ruining bug in the first fifteen minutes.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Turds in magma posted:

You asked for meaningful choices, and this is what you got....

They could've at least given me some kind of notification that I was permanently gimping my character with permanent molerat aids for no good loving reason at all.

I don't even mind the negative effects much tbh. It's the permanent clutter that gets to me.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

They could've at least given me some kind of notification that I was permanently gimping my character with permanent molerat aids for no good loving reason at all.

I don't even mind the negative effects much tbh. It's the permanent clutter that gets to me.

You asked for more immersion, and this is what you got....

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Timeless Appeal posted:

So...

I have a tendency to restart games. I get a handle for the controls and mechanics after playing for a few hours, and then I restart the game with a better grasp of things. The problem is my PS4 copy won't let me do so. Every time one of my new characters tries to leave the pod, his body gets stuck and he can't move. It's a game ruining bug in the first fifteen minutes.
in a Bethesda game the bugs are part of the charm. How I envy you

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
how do i get purified water out of my settlement? I have some water pumps and it says they produce water. Do I assign a settler to the pump somehow? Need empty bottles? If so, put them where? Ughhhh

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Having a forced backstory is fine, all the Fallout games did it. Having the forced backstory rely on your caring about a baby for no reason than 'baby exists' is a giant mistake.

Like at least Fallout 3 theoretically gave you a reason to care about Liam Neeson because you spent the tutorial with him. FO4 spends more time developing your robot butler than your son before you're asking to care about saving him.

The back story of Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas are incredibly general and based on circumstance. In the tradition of pen & paper rpgs you are a clean slate of a person thrown into a situation by an inciting incident and free to make up your mind about the specifics of your past and personality.

In Fallout 1 you are from a vault. You might have friends and family, you might not. You might be very young or very old. There are no details about what your life was like before being sent to find a water chip. You can pretend you were a maintenance man or a nurse or anything in between if that sort of roleplaying floats your boat. You might enjoy being a vault dweller, or you might wish to be free. Maybe you volunteered to go find a water chip, maybe you were forced to, maybe you're too unintelligent to even understand the mission. You can immediately decide you don't care about the vault or the super mutants and just piss about. You won't get an ending that way, but the game never contradicts this possibility. You can even sell out your vault and join the mutants.

In Fallout 2 you are a tribal. You are the descendant of the main character from Fallout 1, and you are called "The Chosen One" and sent to find a geck. Again, the details of your personal life and feelings are completely up to you, and you can ignore your quest. Just because other people tell you that you are the chosen one doesn't mean your character necessarily believes it.

In New Vegas they went to even greater lengths to maintain vagueness. You're just some courier who took a job. You could be anybody or from anywhere-- your pick. At many points in the game NPCs will ask you why you are looking for Benny and the game pointedly offers a list of motivations and allows you to choose between things like revenge, information, getting the chip back to finish your delivery... or you can just not care about Benny or the chip. There is one DLC that adds something specific to your character's backstory: that you had a previous job to deliver something. Even that doesn't sit right with me, but it's one minor mark against it in a DLC.

Fallout 3 is a little more specific but still somewhat acceptable. Like Fallout 1 you are a vault dweller, but this time you are very specifically eighteen years old. The circumstances of your birth and family life are set in stone: You definitely have a father and you definitely don't have a mother. That being said, it is up to you whether or not you hate your Dad, even if it isn't reflected by the game perfectly. For example, on your 10th birthday you can shoot him in the head with a BB gun until he passes out and he doesn't seem to care. He will scold you for detonating a nuclear bomb in the middle of a town, but he still trusts you with saving the wasteland with a water purification scheme that doesn't make any sense. The game is clearly built around the idea that you love the Dad character, but it does acquiesce to you in small doses if you really push the idea that you do not. And you can just refuse to care about him and never bother to save him from Vault 112, like in the previous games, although it's sometimes difficult within dialogue choices to avoid the fact that the game intends you play along with its story (instead of the other way around).

Fallout 4 tosses all of the above out the window within the first 20 minutes. The game literally opens with the male character personally filling you in on what he's all about. Specific information inside the game states the following: You are either a married man or woman within the right age to have a relatively newborn baby. You are definitely not homosexual. You are definitely upper-middle class and come from a nice suburb. If you are the husband you've served in the military. If you are a woman you have a degree in law. You have a baby. The baby is definitely named Shaun. You definitely love this baby. You definitely love your spouse. You definitely mourn your spouse once he or she is dead. You very specifically state "I'm going to find my son". You definitely care about finding your son. Whether you hate newspapers or support news, however.... that much is up to you~

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ten minutes after losing her child, husband, and upper-middle class suburban white bread lifestyle, World's #1 Mom decides that punk haircuts, miniguns, and uncomfortably-named Gas Station Fortresses are in, and dumb poopy babies are out.

Gonna be awkward when I actually get around to the main quest.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MMD3 posted:

loving SERIOUSLY... this is the most loving annoying thing w/ WASD... tab > tab > tab> *takes hand off mouse to hit enter* UGH

You can hit 'E' instead of enter. 1,2,3,4 can also be used instead of the arrow keys as well.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Rookersh posted:

There are 4 factions. Spoilers for how factions work below, but not really main story spoilers.

Minutemen, Brotherhood of Steel, Institute, and Railroad.

The Minutemen do not care what you do other faction wise. There is as far as I know, zero conflict with them and the other factions. If you have the main guy as your companion when you JOIN other factions he'll be mad about it and you'll lose rep, but you will otherwise be fine.

While you can join the Brotherhood, Institute, and Railroad at the same time, they all don't like each other. The Brotherhood and Railroad do not conflict. The Brotherhood and Railroad both conflict with the Institute however, which means at some point you will be asked whose side you are on, the Brotherhood/Railroad side, or the Institute side. This is handled by the questgiver saying upfront "If you do this thing which is a straight up attack on the Brotherhood/Institute, they will become hostile to you. Just fyi. Is that cool? You are down with us, right homie?"

Up until that point you can do as many quests as you want for all the factions. According to what I can scrounge up online, each faction gives something, though I have no idea what half the benefits are. Minutemen calls in AI support with laser weapons from the nearby towns. Brotherhood supposedly comes up with a vertibird/machine gun/power armor drop for you that plays sky captain air support ( I have done zero quests for them, so the Brotherhood for me is still 3 guys in a police station. ). Institute probably does something synth related. Railroad is ??????

This is what I was looking for thank you. Danse is a little intense and that other bro is a dick so I didn't want to actually be their friends but I am okay with pretending to be their friends to get stuff from them for awhile.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

MMD3 posted:

You don't actually have to ever hit enter. The E key works for any Enter prompt.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

I'd be very interested in the item ID if you come across it.

00055F10

Hopefully it doesn't break anything!

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

how do i get purified water out of my settlement? I have some water pumps and it says they produce water. Do I assign a settler to the pump somehow? Need empty bottles? If so, put them where? Ughhhh

I believe they just teleport into your workshop storage pile and you can pull them out from there.

A lot of the settlement poo poo I have just found out by blundering through it, such as E being a secret Enter button, and the how/what/why of supply lines. Seriously lacking a proper tutorial and PC UI here.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Where's it say this? YES I KNOW this is a ludicrous thing to be concerned about.

It doesn't. In 2077 all trial is by power-armored combat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I really wish there were separate tabs for "junk" and "resources"

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Hot Jam posted:

I believe they just teleport into your workshop storage pile and you can pull them out from there.

A lot of the settlement poo poo I have just found out by blundering through it, such as E being a secret Enter button, and the how/what/why of supply lines. Seriously lacking a proper tutorial and PC UI here.

Yeah, I started noticing caps piling up there too, not very many either, but at least I have somewhere to unload my junk.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I think we're coming at this scrap on the ground vs put in your storage thing the wrong way.

If I put something in storage with multiple components, it increased the count for all of those components . If I Use one of those multiple components, the counts for the others don't go down as if they are missing from the total.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Broken Cog posted:

I really wish there were separate tabs for "junk" and "resources"

I wish you could build a resource processor that'd seperate junk into its crafting components for you so you wouldn't be constantly wasting parts, it'd also make it easier to set up new settlements and I'd make it separate from crafting storage so I wouldn't accidentally juice my prewar cash.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

:ninja: whats that? Looks like we've got a corpse in the driver's seat to loo--

:3: d'awwwww nevermind

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Dezztroy posted:

00055F10

Hopefully it doesn't break anything!

That did the trick.

Made an extra save just in case. Thanks.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Hot Jam posted:

Perhaps you or someone else can explain why my supply lines aren't working like they're supposed to. I'm real early in the game, I just have Sanctuary, the garage and Tenpines. I have 3 people in Sanctuary, two at the garage, two at Tenpines. I sent someone from the garage to Sanctuary (hilighted them, hit the supply lines button). I'll see them running around with a Brahmin near it, but none of the inventories end up being shared at all. Maybe I don't understand the point of them, but I assumed that it means the stuff you put in your workshop inventory (junk, food, weapons, etc.), say if I put it all in Sanctuary, it should now show up when I go to my workshop at the garage. It's irritating that this isn't explained properly.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

conversation piece posted:

:ninja: whats that? Looks like we've got a corpse in the driver's seat to loo--

:3: d'awwwww nevermind

You think that's d'awwww? You walking in here thinking that's d'awwwww? You ain't seen d'awwwww until you give dogmeat a teddy bear. DO IT.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

this how supply lines work right? i dont want to set them up and find out bethesda did something dumb

A has a supply line to B
B has a supply line to C
A and C are now connected through B

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not a colony management sim if you don't build a great hall :colbert:

My dude was supposed to vaguely resemble me but he looks like some kind of weird militant hippy.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Vaut 81 question.

My "follow this annoying kid around" quest bugged out, he rounded the corner to the Overseer's office stairs and he was like WHERE ARE YOU and then the quest failed, and talking to him doesn't seem to do anything. The vault seems to standard otherwise, got some gossip but can't do anything with it. I'm currently getting fertilizer for the old lady. Is anything else supposed to happen?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One of those hair style magazines better unlock the mushroom cloud bouffant on the cover

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vargs posted:

Ten minutes after losing her child, husband, and upper-middle class suburban white bread lifestyle, World's #1 Mom decides that punk haircuts, miniguns, and uncomfortably-named Gas Station Fortresses are in, and dumb poopy babies are out.

Gonna be awkward when I actually get around to the main quest.

This loving owns.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ShadowMar posted:

this how supply lines work right? i dont want to set them up and find out bethesda did something dumb

A has a supply line to B
B has a supply line to C
A and C are now connected through B

I just set them all to my main town, seems to work.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zore posted:

Ghouls also gently caress you up pretty hard.

Ghouls are all loving channeling Usain Bolt. Way over there no problem.....Ahhhhhhh it's eating my face!!!! :gonk:

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I just set them all to my main town, seems to work.

So when you go to your other settlements, you open the workshop inventory and all the stuff is there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Hot Jam posted:

yeah i just noticed 5 purified waters in my workshop inventory and i don't remember putting them there. that's great, all I was wanting for now were those so I could heal myself easily. While on the general topic, what is the best thing to do when you start to accumulate too much radiation? Are rad away/rad x plentiful enough or is there some other method?

• Locked thread