Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Here's the dataset. http://www.ggdc.net/maddison/Historical_Statistics/horizontal-file_02-2010.xls

By 1872 the US has a larger GDP than any country in Europe. There is a lot of missing data for India and China, but the US is smaller than either of those two in 1872, but larger than both of them by 1890. Carson's claim is pretty much correct! There is plenty else to call him out for, and this is definitely not the hill to die on.

Carson's claim is not correct at all. China's economic collapse didn't occur until the 1880s,which in connection with a smaller slump in India allowed America to become first place.

Of course if you don't count the two largest economies in the 1870s America comes first, but that's just deliberately ignoring the truth.

Again: why are you trying to defend a blatantly false claim? He doesn't know what he's talking about, it's that simple! He probably misunderstood some anecdote that was probably about America surpassing Britain in the late 1860s (which would be under 100 years) and then just assumed Britain was the biggest before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Here's the dataset. http://www.ggdc.net/maddison/Historical_Statistics/horizontal-file_02-2010.xls

By 1872 the US has a larger GDP than any country in Europe. There is a lot of missing data for India and China, but the US is smaller than either of those two in 1872, but larger than both of them by 1890. Carson's claim is pretty much correct! There is plenty else to call him out for, and this is definitely not the hill to die on.

This data is hard to argue about without the definition of country and the methodology for determining the GDP within that area at each data point.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

He has often said he believes that women exercising their right to healthcare is worse than slavery.

And if he thinks women getting healthcare is good, like any normal person would, then he must think slavery is truly excellent in comparison.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

This data is hard to argue about without the definition of country and the methodology for determining the GDP within that area at each data point.

It's probably important to note that there were fairly extensive empires to consider at the time.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
i want to see fishmech moderate a presidential debate

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
I can't speak to old economic superpower leaderboards, but I know King Cotton was a major business partner of Europe.

I also know the Confederate States embargoed Europe to bring Europe against the United States, but instead the Confederate States ran out of money.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 22, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

Carson's claim is not correct at all. China's economic collapse didn't occur until the 1880s,which in connection with a smaller slump in India allowed America to become first place.

Of course if you don't count the two largest economies in the 1870s America comes first, but that's just deliberately ignoring the truth.

Again: why are you trying to defend a blatantly false claim? He doesn't know what he's talking about, it's that simple! He probably misunderstood some anecdote that was probably about America surpassing Britain in the late 1860s (which would be under 100 years) and then just assumed Britain was the biggest before then.

point of return posted:

i want to see fishmech moderate his mental institution's debate

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

point of return posted:

my god, fishmech this must be your destiny

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

I think comparing the population of a mental institution to the current GOP field is deeply insulting to said mental institution.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

point of return posted:

Do the candidates each get a button for a bell to cut fishmech off?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The persecution and assassination of the republican party as performed by the inmates of the asylum of the something awful forums under the direction of the fishmech

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hobbesmaster posted:

The persecution and assassination of the republican party as performed by the inmates of the asylum of the something awful forums under the direction of the fishmech

Elephant/fishmech

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

point of return posted:

I was thinking this, and then you said it!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The number of years Carson was off by is much less an issue than the labor conditions that allowed the US to achieve the status he describes favorably.

hey now he only said capital investment he didn't specify type

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Nintendo Kid posted:

Have you ever heard of the fact that Carson is consistently wrong, and this is just one example of many?

Also if he said 103 years then yes, being a year off would be forgivable. But he said under 100 so he's 5 years off minimum and that's just dumb.

And even then the actual year it happened is consensus agreed to be towards the mid to late 1880s so he's like nearly a decade off by that point.

Well I think we can safely assume he's wrong on this one when this idiot said Jacob build the pyramids to "store grain." Yet, the Oxford English Dictionary defines the word "store" as to Keep or accumulate (something) for future use, and the pyramids are still around today?? Last I checked, the Biblical Jacob lived 17 years in Egypt before dying, and the pyramids were built in 2560 B.C.E. So, unless I'm doing my trivial algebra wrong, it's completely impossible for Jacob to be alive to use this grain as the definition of the word "store" mandates.

There's no question Ben Carson is dumb. All he's done now is prove he's too dumb to know basic words like "retain" (which the Oxford English Dictionary defines as: Continue to have something; keep possession of) that would have been actually appropriate to the situation he's talking about, since death does not necessitate a release of ownership.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Triglav posted:

I can't speak to old economic superpower leaderboards, but I know King Cotton was a major business partner of Europe.

I also know the Confederate States embargoed Europe to bring Europe against the United States, but instead the Confederate States ran out of money.

What? No, the Union blockaded the CSA to keep them from selling their cotton to Europe. It was the CSA's hope that this would force intervention in order to keep European industry going, and there were any number of nuts who thought that the South was in the driving seat on this issue, but it was the Union blockade that stopped the cotton trade. Also, everybody underestimated Britain's willingness to starve colonials by replacing cereals with cash crops.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

point of return posted:

At the end of two uninterrupted hours of him responding to points candidates made in previous debates he declares himself the winner and walks offstage.

Outside, he gets into his bitchin' IROC-Z Camaro, smirks, and peels out of the parking lot.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

sullat posted:

What? No, the Union blockaded the CSA to keep them from selling their cotton to Europe. It was the CSA's hope that this would force intervention in order to keep European industry going, and there were any number of nuts who thought that the South was in the driving seat on this issue, but it was the Union blockade that stopped the cotton trade. Also, everybody underestimated Britain's willingness to starve colonials by replacing cereals with cash crops.

Yeah, the CSS Alabama was the South's second most famous ship, and it was a blockade runner getting cotton to Europe.

The Merrimack was also an attempt at destroying a blockade, but the Monitor got built in time to stop it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sullat posted:

Not quite true; there was a substantial unofficial "embargo" on the part of the South where they preferred not to sell their cotton during the first year of the war, to show the British what-for. Like most Southern plans, this didn't actually work, but failed in a way which led to lingering suffering, rather than a hilarious explosion.

However, after 1862 the US Navy was establishing a meaningful blockade. Funnily, the main purchaser of Southern cotton was... the North! Mostly in the form of people selling cotton, often semi-illegally, in areas occupied by the United States, but often with southerners in the field resorting to it in order to get some degree of cash, or in some cases, food directly. This was grudgingly tolerated by Jeff. Davis and co., mostly because they sure the hell couldn't feed the people.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
wow this is boring as gently caress

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nessus posted:

Not quite true; there was a substantial unofficial "embargo" on the part of the South where they preferred not to sell their cotton during the first year of the war, to show the British what-for. Like most Southern plans, this didn't actually work, but failed in a way which led to lingering suffering, rather than a hilarious explosion.

However, after 1862 the US Navy was establishing a meaningful blockade. Funnily, the main purchaser of Southern cotton was... the North! Mostly in the form of people selling cotton, often semi-illegally, in areas occupied by the United States, but often with southerners in the field resorting to it in order to get some degree of cash, or in some cases, food directly. This was grudgingly tolerated by Jeff. Davis and co., mostly because they sure the hell couldn't feed the people.

Leave it to the South to overlook the fact that Britain held among its colonial possessions India, where they'd been growing cotton since like 600BCE.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “Naturally, I do not suggest that America start a war or send out engraved invitations to a Star Wars-type invasion from some galaxy far, far away. I just wish I could convince more thinking people of what I believe is true — that continued racial divisions within our society pose every bit as great a threat to our survival as a nation as any outside attack, be it from earthly or other-worldly enemies.” ~ Ben Carson

For the love of god, nobody let Dr. Carson read "Watchmen".

(He's spot-on about "True Lies", though. It's Cameron's last great film.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

hobbesmaster posted:

If this be our marching orders then I will follow fishmech into Hell itself

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Top City Homo posted:

wow this is boring as gently caress

Get used to it, 5 more weeks until something interesting happens.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

funtax posted:

For the love of god, nobody let Dr. Carson read "Watchmen".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Quote of the night:
"Ol' gash is fine but one eye for mine." - Ted Cruz.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Top City Homo posted:

if you understand philosophy generally it means you understand analytic logic and that makes you almost as good as a math major for any job

Missed this little speck of the thread, but continuing off of this, Philosophy majors also end up learning skills useful for a Law degree as much of their major is about learning argumentation and the presentation of those arguments. That's likely why their section skews so high since many of them may pick up more practical techniques than their PoliSci counterparts.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Joementum posted:

Hmm, I think these two things might be related.

Looks like Trump's combover.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Carson's the one who believes in indentured servitude if you commit a crime right? I get kind of confused since I think Huckabee is pro slavery too but in a different way.

Also I find it funny how polls this far out both matter and don't matter. It's like some quantum polling state.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

SirKibbles posted:

Carson's the one who believes in indentured servitude if you commit a crime right?

You're confusing a candidate with the Thirteenth Amendment!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Chantilly Say posted:

At the end of two uninterrupted hours of him responding to points candidates made in previous debates he declares himself the winner and walks offstage.

Outside, he gets into his bitchin' IROC-Z Camaro, smirks, and peels out of the parking lot.

Holy poo poo, he's Joe Biden!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Something I learned last night:

During the debate Trump praised Eisenhower's immigration action but never mentioned the name. Now it makes sense why. The plan was called Operation Wetback

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/11/455613993/it-came-up-in-the-debate-here-are-3-things-to-know-about-operation-wetback

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
You can learn more from Wikipedia than NPR which is sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wetback

"Mistreatment and abuse[edit]
Operation Wetback uses the name "Wetback", (the term "wetback" is a disparaging term applied to Mexicans who passed across the Rio Grande—and today is considered pejorative.),[45] becoming a derogatory term applied to Mexican laborers, both legal and illegal.[46] The term 'wetback' was used by Cesar Chavez[47] during his efforts organizing unionized farmworkers.[48] One of the biggest problems caused by the program was the deportation of Mexicans to unfamiliar places, where they would struggle to find their way home or to continue to support their families.[49] Over 25% of apprehended Mexicans were returned to Veracruz on cargo ships, while others were transported by land to southern cities in Mexico.[50] Those apprehended were often deported without receiving the opportunity to recover their property in the U.S. or to contact their families, and they were stranded without any food or employment when they entered Mexico.[51] Deported Mexicans faced extreme conditions and were sometimes left in the desert; 88 deported workers died in 112 degree heat in July, 1955.[52] Another issue was repeat border crossings by those who had been previously deported; from 1960 through 1961, repeaters accounted for 20% of the total deportees.[53] Certain U.S. Border Patrol agents practiced shaving heads to mark repeat offenders who would attempt to reenter the United States. There were also reports of beating and jailing illegal immigrants before deporting them.[54] While most complaints concerning deportation were undocumented, there were over 11,000 formal complaints from documented bracero workers from 1954 through 1964.[55]"

Very Humane

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

this is definitely not the hill to die on.

I have really bad news for you.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 12, 2015

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Smoothrich posted:

You can learn more from Wikipedia than NPR which is sad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Wetback

"Mistreatment and abuse[edit]
Operation Wetback uses the name "Wetback", (the term "wetback" is a disparaging term applied to Mexicans who passed across the Rio Grande—and today is considered pejorative.),[45] becoming a derogatory term applied to Mexican laborers, both legal and illegal.[46] The term 'wetback' was used by Cesar Chavez[47] during his efforts organizing unionized farmworkers.[48] One of the biggest problems caused by the program was the deportation of Mexicans to unfamiliar places, where they would struggle to find their way home or to continue to support their families.[49] Over 25% of apprehended Mexicans were returned to Veracruz on cargo ships, while others were transported by land to southern cities in Mexico.[50] Those apprehended were often deported without receiving the opportunity to recover their property in the U.S. or to contact their families, and they were stranded without any food or employment when they entered Mexico.[51] Deported Mexicans faced extreme conditions and were sometimes left in the desert; 88 deported workers died in 112 degree heat in July, 1955.[52] Another issue was repeat border crossings by those who had been previously deported; from 1960 through 1961, repeaters accounted for 20% of the total deportees.[53] Certain U.S. Border Patrol agents practiced shaving heads to mark repeat offenders who would attempt to reenter the United States. There were also reports of beating and jailing illegal immigrants before deporting them.[54] While most complaints concerning deportation were undocumented, there were over 11,000 formal complaints from documented bracero workers from 1954 through 1964.[55]"

Very Humane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9FlG2TXsQc

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Review of Ted Cruz reaction to naming the Department of Commerce twice to eliminate.

I guess he just figured he should ignore it, correct his mistake, and move on. Smart, but no fun. He should own it, like Rick Perry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSLBwhdr3U8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Eliminating HUD would destroy mortgage and construction insurance, which might have economic consequences, though I admit I have no idea what the effect would be on the price of gold.

• Locked thread