Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

There isn't really any evidence that Miles' character has the plot bending unnaturally in his direction for unjustified reasons.

I'm agreeing with this specific part. I said otherwise before actually seeing season 2, which was a mistake.

Miles still hosed up the last half of the season, though. What a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BattleCattle posted:

Miles still hosed up the last half of the season, though. What a jerk.

You mean in regards for them building up the big attack and then it being just a stale fart?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Covok posted:

You mean in regards for them building up the big attack and then it being just a stale fart?

Yes. I remember it clearly now, though I don't relish the memory.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Was it said what the prize was for winning the tournament in the third season?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Level Slide posted:

Was it said what the prize was for winning the tournament in the third season?

I believe it's like the Oylmpics. Win and your kingdom is revered.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

A fine prize. Speaking of kingdoms, I like how the world map in the lore video had multiple continents without a kingdom on it.

One of them looks like a dragon. If there's an actual followup on this, that will pleasantly surprise me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, they did say that humans are, even if most of the series doesn't support this theme, royally hosed. The creatures of grimm are constantly attacking them and pushing against them, allegedly. It makes sense that only a few kingdoms would exist. It would be hard for humans to group together and form civilization without proper defenses. If things were as dire as they make it out to be, I'm surprised they even have kingdoms and aren't just nomadic and trying to stay a few steps ahead of the grimm.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

This looks like some bad ms paint type poo poo you'd see uploaded to a dumbass teen's youtube. I hope it's only ironically popular.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Covok posted:

Anyone else feel that the writers both playing characters who have romantic relationships that are relatively big plot points a bit mary-sue-self-insert?
I think in this case it's just an unavoidable side-effect of being done almost entirely in-house.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Singing Chav posted:

This looks like some bad ms paint type poo poo you'd see uploaded to a dumbass teen's youtube. I hope it's only ironically popular.

I'm sorry, but

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not that I think we're really the audience to complain about Self-Inserts when we tend to like Web Novels.

No we dont

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not that I think we're really the audience to complain about Self-Inserts when we tend to like Web Novels.

I think that even most of the people in the Web Novel thread acknowledge the fact that all the web novels they discuss are really bad.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Ytlaya posted:

I think that even most of the people in the Web Novel thread acknowledge the fact that all the web novels they discuss are really bad.

I was about to defend one I really like but then I realized you were talking about japanese ones.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched this on netflix expecting to it be abominable and enjoyed this show, now where the gently caress is the good Ruby/Weiss fanfiction?

Also how good is Season 3 so far, I still haven't started watching it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read through the last 8 pages and this thread is everything I want it to be

Terrible and fanart

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The gently caress's a web novel?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Exactly what it sounds like.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Oh. Then why are they apparently entirely bad?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The same reason any written medium on the web is mostly bad

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Imagine fanfiction, minus the established setting and characters people already liked.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

The same reason any written medium on the web is mostly bad

To clarify, there's zero barriers to entry and the profit-making process can be a little opaque, meaning quality control is in the pits and there's relatively little financial incentive to improve it. Web fiction is often niche, amateur work that gains an audience less due to its quality and more due to the fact that someone's scratching that particular underrepresented itch at all.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Web novels are often bad because there is no vetting process between the creator and consumer. All the crap that publishers throw out makes it to the public with web novels. To be fair, sometimes this is a good thing, but usually publishers are right to throw some works out.

Also, a lot of people think they can write when they can't.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Innocence by TheLastSonata
Fandoms:RWBY
Mature
Graphic Depictions Of Violence, Major Character Death
F/F, F/M
Work in Progress
11 Nov 2015
Tags

Graphic Depictions Of Violence Major Character DeathRuby Rose/Weiss Schnee Jaune Arc/Pyrrha NikosRuby Rose Weiss Schnee Blake Belladonna Yang Xiao Long Jaune Arc Pyrrha NikosAngst Fluff Romance Violence Lesbian Character Cross-Posted on FanFiction.Net
Summary

The consequences of the mission to Mountain Glenn stretch far beyond the civilian casualties in Vale. The collective failure has taken its toll on all the members of team RWBY and with the tournament fast approaching and Cinder still at large, they have no time to wallow in their misery.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Avoiding that for the rest of my life sounds like a great idea that I'm totally on board with.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Please keep us updated on your adventures in RWBY fanfic, Baal.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i just want one good ruby/weiss fanfic, just one that isn't loving saccharine as poo poo and or depressing as poo poo and has minimal swearing

why is it so hard to find these things

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BattleCattle posted:

The gently caress's a web novel?

they're light novels published on the internet

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

There's a lot of discussion of rape in that thread

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Would someone please post a link to the web novel thread? I looked in the Book Barn forum, and all I could find is this:

The Book Barn › Web Serial Thread: Wildbow Fanclub

I doubt that's it.

You would think that this is some USA-based company's first foray into the world of 3-D animation, etc. so we can forgive them for a crappy product. But, then I remember that we have DreamWorks, Pixar, etc. And, then I think. Why can't RWBY have that kind of production quality?

Is it because Rooster Teeth is just a bunch of amateur hacks who put together a company and is producing something? I don't really know. Honestly. Seems that way. Seems like just bunch of folks got together and started a company and produced what they could and are actually selling a product.

Is it because of the tools they're using? Maybe the images are that much harder to render and articulate?

I guess they're scratching an itch. They seem to be selling.

Without really analyzing the Killer Bean video too in-depth, my initial impression is that the Killer Bean video has better production quality than a lot of the RWBY stuff. So, I don't know why RWBY is as bad as it is in many places. Initially, I thought it was all on purpose. (Maybe it's a lot easier to articulate a coffee bean than a person, though)

Also, seems to me that the whole Monty Oum creating a thing with the idea of cosplay and what-not in mind when creating said thing (like his treatise on RWBY naming conventions) could be a very different and fairly new way of working on a new thing. Cosplay-first show development. Maybe they already to this type of pre-planning in Japan, but I doubt Pixar creates a show with cosplay in mind beforehand. Merchandising, certainly.

Just an observation, really.

I saw a picture of one of Monty Oum's modified keyboards once. I can see why he'd remove the F1 key. I've hit that drat key one too many times myself in the past.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I can see why the key that brings up help would be problematic, yes

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dan7el posted:

Would someone please post a link to the web novel thread? I looked in the Book Barn forum, and all I could find is this:

The Book Barn › Web Serial Thread: Wildbow Fanclub

I doubt that's it.

You would think that this is some USA-based company's first foray into the world of 3-D animation, etc. so we can forgive them for a crappy product. But, then I remember that we have DreamWorks, Pixar, etc. And, then I think. Why can't RWBY have that kind of production quality?

Is it because Rooster Teeth is just a bunch of amateur hacks who put together a company and is producing something? I don't really know. Honestly. Seems that way. Seems like just bunch of folks got together and started a company and produced what they could and are actually selling a product.

Is it because of the tools they're using? Maybe the images are that much harder to render and articulate?

I guess they're scratching an itch. They seem to be selling.

Without really analyzing the Killer Bean video too in-depth, my initial impression is that the Killer Bean video has better production quality than a lot of the RWBY stuff. So, I don't know why RWBY is as bad as it is in many places. Initially, I thought it was all on purpose. (Maybe it's a lot easier to articulate a coffee bean than a person, though)

Also, seems to me that the whole Monty Oum creating a thing with the idea of cosplay and what-not in mind when creating said thing (like his treatise on RWBY naming conventions) could be a very different and fairly new way of working on a new thing. Cosplay-first show development. Maybe they already to this type of pre-planning in Japan, but I doubt Pixar creates a show with cosplay in mind beforehand. Merchandising, certainly.

Just an observation, really.

I saw a picture of one of Monty Oum's modified keyboards once. I can see why he'd remove the F1 key. I've hit that drat key one too many times myself in the past.

It's three fold:

1) Monty wanted to use Poser. Poser isn't the best program. It's what he felt he could produce best in and probably didn't want to experiment with a new program when finally hitting getting to produce his own series.
2) Roosterteeth is small and has a small team of animators. This hurts them more than a bit. Doubly so because they want to mocap which likely adds more work to their plat. Also, crunchtime is company culture over there if I remember their RvB dvd commentary from years ago.
3) Some of their other 3D animations look a little better, but I think some of the look comes from the choice to make it look more like an anime. Their other animations look better since they aren't simplifying and flattening the colors and textures as much.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Monty was good at what he did, but he also hated getting out of his comfort zone with regards to software, and he didn't sleep much.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ya, no, that's the thread for superior western fiction (the all of one author).

You want http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694488

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dan7el posted:

I mean comparing Roosterteeth Productions to Pixar is kind of like comparing Blizzard to the guy who makes Dwarf Fortress. Japan barely finds Anime profitable and many Western companies can't go to the same lengths they go, the closest we'll get to is Big Hero Six; but these are still multi million dollar productions. I think the very thought of comparing the two in order to be critical of RT isn't a fair comparison.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dan7el posted:

Why can't RWBY have that kind of production quality?

I just figure the reason is because it's lazy fan wank. It is derivative to the point where the source inspiration just becomes a dull grey melange of anime and it aspires to be little more than that same lumpy bowl of oatmeal. It evidently works because people like it, but there's very little actual substance to the series. It's about as shallow as possible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I mean, that's all true, but it's not why a small, Texas-based entertainment company of a little over 100 people, IIRC, can't produce Pixar level animation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean comparing Roosterteeth Productions to Pixar is kind of like comparing Blizzard to the guy who makes Dwarf Fortress. Japan barely finds Anime profitable and many Western companies can't go to the same lengths they go, the closest we'll get to is Big Hero Six; but these are still multi million dollar productions. I think the very thought of comparing the two in order to be critical of RT isn't a fair comparison.

While you're correct that it's ridiculous to compare Pixar and Rooster Teeth, it doesn't really change the fact that the sort of CG production Rooster Teeth is attempting with RWBY just doesn't work well at all unless you have a lot of money and talent/people to contribute. Like, I don't think there's anything wrong with people choosing to make something like RWBY, but it's still clearly an amateur production that feels like the result of a college assignment or something.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm so mad that this isn't despicable me or whatever

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So are we watching all of RWBY again this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

So are we watching all of RWBY again this weekend?

You must post more Yang first

• Locked thread