Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Are people surprised that the patch that lets people catch up to the bleeding edge raiders is leading to people catching up to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^ Diadem isn't a catchup, the gear it drops can RNG to be BiS. Really good luck means it's BiS by a mile and even getting 'only' middle-of-the-road rolls on 3-4 secondaries will likely be better than eso/gordian.

Fister Roboto posted:

gently caress PELICANS

Down with Pelican Island. Dino Island 7evar.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 12, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sendo posted:

Diadem is such a poo poo show when you don't queue with a full party, jumped in with some friends and didn't bother to fill out the party. Had the two people from DF just as gatherers the whole time which makes it really hard to get credit fighting against 3-4 other full parties and on top of that they can still roll on everything that drops without contributing at all.

Oh this is going to be my new favorite thing isn't it? :allears:

On that note I am probably going to make a 24 member gathering group this week.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sendo posted:

Diadem is such a poo poo show when you don't queue with a full party, jumped in with some friends and didn't bother to fill out the party. Had the two people from DF just as gatherers the whole time which makes it really hard to get credit fighting against 3-4 other full parties and on top of that they can still roll on everything that drops without contributing at all.

I plan on queuing solo to do gathering. I want to just sit there for hours to fish.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Iron Tusk posted:

Hysterics aside, I think they did do a bit of a dumb with this. In keeping with their totally incoherent gearing strategy, having an essentially on demand hose of the best gear in the game is going to have a detrimental effect on all their other content. As long as you have friends they've pretty much done away with the need to do almost anything else at all except Diadem. Throw in the upcoming relic and congrats you've essentially obsoleted 80% of what's supposed to be your current content.

While I am sure there are a number of people who will do nothing but Diadem to the point of exhaustion, there are probably also a lot of people like myself who will be happy to do the odd run and then go back to running other content for variety and fun. Diadem is the megagrindy option for players who dig that but it doesn't represent a total shift into gear obsolescence for the rest of the game.

Plus it is something they can design around moving forward. Sure, right now you can poopsock your way to optimally statted 210 gear, but they don't have to turn around and have it drop 230 pinks in 3.2 when the next set of tomestones are released.

Lastly, as long as they keep coming up with multiple new sets of gear for glamour there will be people running content to give themselves options.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I plan on queuing solo to do gathering. I want to just sit there for hours to fish.

Max-ethers need fish that are only caught there so you bet I'm going to solo queue and fish all day and give no fucks.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
There will be a whole lot of whining from people about it being ~optimal~ and thus other content no longer exists, though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fishious posted:

Max-ethers need fish that are only caught there so you bet I'm going to solo queue and fish all day and give no fucks.

Know where I can find info on all the fish there?

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!
So either you can't fish on Diadem easy mode or the nodes are nigh-impossible to find, because a couple of friends and I queued up just to fish and we spent over half the time limit searching every nook and cranny without success. :negative:

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Know where I can find info on all the fish there?

http://en.ff14angler.com/fish/446

It's not comprehensive but people are posting and it will be updated.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ciaphas posted:

Have they said anything about how long they expect this patch cycle to run, by chance?

This patch will almost certainly be 3 months on the nose. 3.0 to 3.1 took longer because some of the staff desperately needed a vacay after the insane Heavensward crunch. We should be back on schedule now.

If you mean the overall 3.x content cycle? No idea. It seems relatively safe to assume up to 3.5 (three Alexander raids + three Shadow of Mhach raids) but they may try to mix things up and make it shorter or longer. They haven't said yet.

The next expansion is apparently in the planning stages, but so was Heavensward when 2.1 came out.

Meanwhile, rip the game, I guess. Lobby server is kaput and maint in 90 minutes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Diadem is fun and thordan ex is fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SpaceDrake posted:

Meanwhile, rip the game, I guess. Lobby server is kaput and maint in 90 minutes.

They're reverting the limit break change, and should also be fixing the retainer bug and the manipulator knockback bug.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tortolia posted:

While I am sure there are a number of people who will do nothing but Diadem to the point of exhaustion, there are probably also a lot of people like myself who will be happy to do the odd run and then go back to running other content for variety and fun. Diadem is the megagrindy option for players who dig that but it doesn't represent a total shift into gear obsolescence for the rest of the game.

Plus it is something they can design around moving forward. Sure, right now you can poopsock your way to optimally statted 210 gear, but they don't have to turn around and have it drop 230 pinks in 3.2 when the next set of tomestones are released.

Lastly, as long as they keep coming up with multiple new sets of gear for glamour there will be people running content to give themselves options.

The problem is that by and large the greater population will still respond to the incentives presented to them. Sure you'll still do it for fun and catgirl dress up, but dis-incentivizing exdr, Void Ark, et al. for big swaths of the player base is still going to do some damage.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 12, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fister Roboto posted:

gently caress PELICANS

That was probably the funniest part of the night.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Bertram Weatherby posted:

So either you can't fish on Diadem easy mode or the nodes are nigh-impossible to find, because a couple of friends and I queued up just to fish and we spent over half the time limit searching every nook and cranny without success. :negative:

I did an easy yesterday and a guy in my group was catching pterodactyl/marimo on the southwest island with giant crane fly, and I caught some useless fish somewhere else with bladed steel jig.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Iron Tusk posted:

Hysterics aside, I think they did do a bit of a dumb with this. In keeping with their totally incoherent gearing strategy, having an essentially on demand hose of the best gear in the game is going to have a detrimental effect on all their other content. As long as you have friends they've pretty much done away with the need to do almost anything else at all except Diadem. Throw in the upcoming relic and congrats you've essentially obsoleted 80% of what's supposed to be your current content.

It's an even patch. There's always more gear available. Diadem did nothing wrong.

It's on average more time/work to get a good Diadem drop than to farm the equivalent amount of esoterics, it's just not capped other than being an absurd time sink.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

There will be a whole lot of whining from people about it being ~optimal~ and thus other content no longer exists, though.
And just like when Hunts were just introduced and were the Big Thing they're wrong and have fallen/re-fallen into the self-centered fallacy of 'I think this way is the best why should any other options exist?'

Diadem has an ilvl requirement which means that people have to do exdr (for dungeon gear at least) and even then it doesn't drop weapons, which means either Esoterics or Thordan. In the hunt for Eso that can take them to pvp, lvl 60 dr, Alex and Void Ark.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 12, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

It's an even patch. There's always more gear available. Diadem did nothing wrong.

It's on average more time/work to get a good Diadem drop than to farm the equivalent amount of esoterics, it's just not capped other than being an absurd time sink.

More gear is fine. Gear that is BIS by a huge loving margin is not.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Impermissible. *smashes fist onto dust-encrusted desk* This will not stand.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Last post about this got lost in the shuffle so I'm just asking one more time, In LoV I got to level 9 and can't seem to damage the boss. It wants me to use a trap on the field but unless I missed it the game never told me how to do this. Can someone explain this for me?

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Griz posted:

I did an easy yesterday and a guy in my group was catching pterodactyl/marimo on the southwest island with giant crane fly, and I caught some useless fish somewhere else with bladed steel jig.

That's kinda annoying. The three of us ran along the perimeter of every single island in the entire zone without success.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
There has never been an instance previously where a single set of gear was BiS in all slots. People who are mad that casuals are getting gear are retarded but the gear is not balanced, one set ignores the rules that all other sets have. I don't even know what I'd be able to do with nearly 1100 SS as a blm, it's possibly a difference that can have a rotational effect.

And I remember people grinding out for 1/1000000 mempo rolls in vanilla D3 so I have no reason to not believe that the absurd chances of getting the loot will detract people from only doing Diadem.

https://twitter.com/Foldpls/status/664651488195649536

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

KaneTW posted:

More gear is fine. Gear that is BIS by a huge loving margin is not.
Said gear is gated by three layers of RNG on it though: the piece has to drop, it has to have the right amount of substats and it has to have them in the certain amounts to be BIS.
It still fulfills the base 'time vs. effort' loot sliding scale in the game, only instead of the effort section being held just by High End raiding it's now being supplemented by Diadem.

The Black Stones posted:

Last post about this got lost in the shuffle so I'm just asking one more time, In LoV I got to level 9 and can't seem to damage the boss. It wants me to use a trap on the field but unless I missed it the game never told me how to do this. Can someone explain this for me?
Some minions have an ability that places a trap on the ground, which you then activate. (Haven't done much but that's what I remember from the patch notes.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 12, 2015

Griz
May 21, 2001

Bertram Weatherby posted:

That's kinda annoying. The three of us ran along the perimeter of every single island in the entire zone without success.

I noticed on one of the islands that it let me cast into a pond with both water and skyfishing baits so maybe the nodes are busted and everything is in the water.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Also worth mentioning that the devs were shocked that stacking secondary stats on crafted gear was so potent in final coil and clamped down on that, but they release this gear which is in effect the same thing except stronger and instead of rich you need to be lucky. Are they really making the same mistake twice? I hope they don't act surprised when the next tier of raids comes out.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Alex savage is bad, diadem is good

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If you're mad about gear in a video game I feel bad for you.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Speaking of Diadem, I've only recently come back after a long break due to gently caress Enochian, and trying black mage again, is all the cc and random bullshit that happens to make casting a pain in the rear end avoidable in any way? Because at least for the couple of hours I did it tonight the design seemed really sadistic on top of how Enochian is already awful.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I am not interested in welfare content. I will do it for vanity and stop after I have the set I want. I will take my non-bis savage gordian gear and keep my dignity tyvm.

I will leave sky hunts to the hunt crowd.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Verranicus posted:

If you're mad about gear in a video game I feel bad for you.

There are some people that are really loving salty.

I've been solo-queuing in Ishgard for Diadem so that I can go fish for poo poo. People DO NOT like this. My philosophy is that I'll do solo Ishgard queues for my gathering times and FC groups for fun fights with friends. I don't want to do NM/gear farming with pubbies, and when I gather, I generally like to be by myself.

Also, enjoy these:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3shyb2/diadem_gear_feels_wrong/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3shb1h/as_goes_a_river_so_goes_the_raid_scene/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3si3ti/the_problem_with_diadem_gear_for_raiders/

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mordiceius posted:

There are some people that are really loving salty.

Seriously, the official forums may as well be married to Lot at this point.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Technogeek posted:

I am not interested in welfare content. I will do it for vanity and stop after I have the set I want. I will take my non-bis savage gordian gear and keep my dignity tyvm.

I will leave sky hunts to the hunt crowd.

You lost your "dignity" once you started complaining about optional content for casuals to see a higher ilvl. It's a video game, you'll be fine. Also, I haven't heard someone use welfare unironically since the Burning Crusade. Holy gently caress are you upset over nothing.

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread

Belrouze posted:

You lost your "dignity" once you started complaining about optional content for casuals to see a higher ilvl. It's a video game, you'll be fine. Also, I haven't heard someone use welfare unironically since the Burning Crusade. Holy gently caress are you upset over nothing.

He's quoting a post from the OF :ssh:

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

Belrouze posted:

trap sprung

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I think, the solution is somewhere in the middle

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I haven't even tried Diadem yet. :munch:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Belrouze posted:

He is our pulse on the official forums. Most his posts are copy/paste from there. :ssh:

Technogeek posted:

Seriously, the official forums may as well be married to Lot at this point.

It's funny because there are multiple levels of people that are pissed off. Can some insane gear drop from Diadem? Sure. But you're going to have to walk through multiple layers of RNG and 99% of people may get ONE insane drop ever. You've got to get the gold chest drop, get a drop that is for your class, get a drop for a slot you need, get a drop with the right stats, and get a drop with the right allocation in those stats.

It's telling that the item everyone has been linking is the one image of the same loving bard pants. Any time I see a link saying "look at these stats! diadem is stupid!" it's always the same loving bard pants. These perfectly itemized items are loving rare.

The other way I've seen people pissed is just pubbies getting pissed at gatherers. I'm a healer. I queue as a healer. AST is the only class I have geared enough to queue. But when I'm queued with pubbies, as soon as I get flying, I'm going to switch to fisher and gently caress off to go fishing. This is a Grade A way to make pubbies froth at the mouth. And it is magical.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Dastardly posted:

I haven't even tried Diadem yet. :munch:

So many dinosaurs. So many.

Brachiosaur keeps trying to thin the herds with Meteors with such zeal that I'm beginning to wonder if all the scientists were wrong and it was actually him who wiped out the dinosaurs.

Maybe he was one of the previous Calamities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Note to self: Clean out inventory tomorrow and stay on top of that so I don't lose out on another Void Ark Gobtwine-replacement. :smithicide:

Ah well, not a big deal, I don't plan on tackling any content that requires anything near BiS gear anyway. But still, it's the principle of the thing.

• Locked thread