Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I have a feeling you're gonna have a bad time on that.

Seriously what the hell is up with the insane scribe grind.

Between masteries, scribe, elites, precursors/legendaries, etc, this game is becoming one massive grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Between masteries, scribe, elites, precursors/legendaries, etc, this game is becoming one massive grind.

I'd be cool with the pre-grind if it involved just collection poo poo and going on a cool adventure, but its both that and a rather large monetary investment that's on top of all the stuff to make the legendary itself when the pre is in your hands.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CLAM DOWN posted:

But Colin said there would be no grind :(

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Becoming?

There's been nothing to do but grind gold for legendaries since launch. Now there's a bunch of different maps to farm events on instead of just doing CoF1 over and over.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Becoming?

There's been nothing to do but grind gold for legendaries since launch. Now there's a bunch of different maps to farm events on instead of just doing CoF1 over and over.

But now there are things you don't have and need to get and you can't have fun doing the things unless you have all the things. Have you ever tried to play one of the original 8 classes without an elite spec? Nobody has.

Anet is making people unlock things to unlock things which requires a thing that you have to do instead of just not logging in except once a week for guild missions. Plus, some of the things you can't even do solo. You have to use other players which is awful.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
This game was fun until I didn't have Nuhoch Farting XIV unlocked. Now it's awful and I can't even bring myself to log in.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ItBurns posted:

This game was fun until I didn't have Nuhoch Farting XIV unlocked. Now it's awful and I can't even bring myself to log in.
brb killing self in poison cloud

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

CLAM DOWN posted:

I keep trying to get into HoT content, working on map completion, but the constant "go grind some more exp before you can reach this vista/PoI/whatever" or "I'll go do some adventures - oh the few WPs are shut down and no the adventure is closed anyways" etc just bum me out real quick. It'd help if at least on the map they indicated if you had any chance of doing it or not. I enjoy 100%'ing maps, and it's a bummer. I swap to my Necro I'm leveling (like everyone else) and immediately have fun in Vanilla content where everything is accessible, or stay on my 80 and go back to working on LS2 and exploring 80 maps. It's just such a much more fun game.

I just finished the Drydock jumping puzzle tonight (found it accidentally), and that was all sorts of awesome. Being a software developer, I doubly loved the mountain of Agile software puns from Kit's dialogue, to the achievement name, to the Scrum board, all of it.

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Becoming?

There's a big difference between grinding for cosmetics, and needing to grind to be able to explore.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if those 'pact scout mapping material' consumables you buy from those mastery-locked Central Tyria merchants actually do anything? I bought one today, figuring some extra XP for map completion/mastery grinding would be nice... and as far as I can tell, it was just a bag with a single tiny claw in it.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Illuyankas posted:

Oh man, I got the Flameseeker Prophecies pre collection and the very first step for making the Chosen is to make a book called an Anthology of Villains, and take it with you to kill a bunch of bosses.

Except that it needs Weaponsmithing 350 to make, oh, and also Scribing 300. Which you require to make the 13 sheets of quality paper needed. Which so far don't even have an entry on the wiki beyond 'made by scribes somehow'. And are currently bugged to be accountbound, and a fix is still in progress. Basically I hope you didn't want to make a shield legendary!

You can still just buy the precursor like you could before. The shield was one of the not so expensive ones even.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Bieeardo posted:

Does anyone know if those 'pact scout mapping material' consumables you buy from those mastery-locked Central Tyria merchants actually do anything? I bought one today, figuring some extra XP for map completion/mastery grinding would be nice... and as far as I can tell, it was just a bag with a single tiny claw in it.

It gives you progress toward the new map bonus rewards, which you normally get by doing events. If you open the map and hover over a name like Malchor's Leap, you'll see what you'll get next and what other things you might get after that. Each pact thing should get you one reward.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

the fanboy redditor gimmick is getting a little old

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.

Alteisen posted:

I'd be cool with the pre-grind if it involved just collection poo poo and going on a cool adventure, but its both that and a rather large monetary investment that's on top of all the stuff to make the legendary itself when the pre is in your hands.

The birdstaff pre-grind adventure stuff sounds amazingly fun. The amount of money and time farming crystalline ore doesn't.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

at the date posted:

the fanboy redditor gimmick is getting a little old

nah

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Don't know if it was posted here yet or not, but the issue with HoT map completion rewards is on track to be in next week's patch. It sounds like you'll need to zone into the completed zones to get your rewards.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

xZAOx posted:

I keep trying to get into HoT content, working on map completion, but the constant "go grind some more exp before you can reach this vista/PoI/whatever" or "I'll go do some adventures - oh the few WPs are shut down and no the adventure is closed anyways" etc just bum me out real quick. It'd help if at least on the map they indicated if you had any chance of doing it or not. I enjoy 100%'ing maps, and it's a bummer. I swap to my Necro I'm leveling (like everyone else) and immediately have fun in Vanilla content where everything is accessible, or stay on my 80 and go back to working on LS2 and exploring 80 maps. It's just such a much more fun game.

I just finished the Drydock jumping puzzle tonight (found it accidentally), and that was all sorts of awesome. Being a software developer, I doubly loved the mountain of Agile software puns from Kit's dialogue, to the achievement name, to the Scrum board, all of it.

There's a big difference between grinding for cosmetics, and needing to grind to be able to explore.
I'm not sure what you've been doing in the new maps but you're seriously overstating the mastery investment required to just move around in them. Basic Gliding and Itzel Bouncing Mushrooms mastery (which are both level 1 masteries) will take less than an hour of playtime in the new areas to unlock and will allow you to access 85%+ of the new zones. Additionally, once you unlock masteries they are unlocked for you entire account so you only need to do this once.

If you're brand new and have just finished Torn from the Sky and aren't sure where to go to start, head down from the plateau you exit the story mission on and then north to the Itzel village Jaka Itzel (the far path will get you into the village). From there you can defend the village from some Mordrem attacks, help feed the Itzel by picking up insects and then move west from the village up the hill and help secure the pact rally point which should get you the better part of a level 1 mastery's experience along with some champ bags and some crowbars to open the airship cargo as part of the meta event progressing. Follow along to the main pact encampment from there and do some more events to fill out your second mastery bar and you should be good to explore to your heart's content.

For people who want to mainly explore the maps and move around on their as quickly as possible I'd recommend the following mastery progression:
Gliding 1 (basic gliding) -> Itzel 1 (bouncing mushrooms) -> Gliding 2 (updraft usage) -> Exalted 1 (exalted teleporters in Auric Basin) -> Nuhoch 1 (not important for exploration but required for 2) -> Nuhoch 2 (access to wallows which are shortcut tunnels that make getting around in most maps but especially in Tangled Depths much easier)

That'll get you access to 99% of all the areas in the new maps since most areas that are blocked by Ley Line Gliding also have a Wallow that connects near them.

e: oh hey I forgot to finish a sentence. I'm good at :words:.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 12, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Probad posted:

It gives you progress toward the new map bonus rewards, which you normally get by doing events. If you open the map and hover over a name like Malchor's Leap, you'll see what you'll get next and what other things you might get after that. Each pact thing should get you one reward.

Durf. I totally misunderstood their purpose. Thanks!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad we can always count on ItBurns to come up with the STUPIDEST most inane retarded strawmen imaginable.

Suck Colin's cock a little harder man, I'm sure he's loving it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I don't think you guys "get" Nilgoow

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao

minus the walrus
Apr 8, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Honestly, I had kind of the same feeling when HoT first released. It felt like every single place I wanted to check out was gated, which was pretty annoying! After playing through a lot of it though, I guess my only piece of advice is to just...play. The biggest mastery gates went by super fast once I stopped focusing on exp as much.
You can get through the masteries Mercurius posted really quickly just by running around ground level and doing events! After those, the only thing I'm really finding annoying are the Itzel Poison Lore areas, but it doesn't feel nearly as restricting as the others.

e: If you can get at least bouncing mushrooms and updrafts, you can usually find hero point trains running through the maps which are a great source of experience and they're pretty fun!

minus the walrus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 12, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

minus the walrus posted:

Honestly, I had kind of the same feeling when HoT first released. It felt like every single place I wanted to check out was gated, which was pretty annoying! After playing through a lot of it though, I guess my only piece of advice is to just...play. The biggest mastery gates went by super fast once I stopped focusing on exp as much.
You can get through the masteries Mercurius posted really quickly just by running around ground level and doing events! After those, the only thing I'm really finding annoying are the Itzel Poison Lore areas, but it doesn't feel nearly as restricting as the others.

Merc is definitely spot on but I think the frustrating part for a lot of casual players is how long that "playing" part takes. A lot of the people saying "it's no big deal just play a bit" are the ones with like 100+ mastery levels that I'm seeing everywhere now, I've been playing more than I ever have in like a year and a half in the game, and I'm at level 17, missing a lot of stuff. Just a bit frustrating from my angle. It's fine I'll get it eventually though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

Merc is definitely spot on but I think the frustrating part for a lot of casual players is how long that "playing" part takes. A lot of the people saying "it's no big deal just play a bit" are the ones with like 100+ mastery levels that I'm seeing everywhere now, I've been playing more than I ever have in like a year and a half in the game, and I'm at level 17, missing a lot of stuff. Just a bit frustrating from my angle. It's fine I'll get it eventually though.

Remember:
Those people have nothing more to their lives than poopsocking a dumb video game. I'm at 8, I think but I have a more than full time job and a GF (but she plays, too).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I already have most of the basic masteries. It is really just updraft left now. I just don't have a super ton of time to play, and when I want to be able to explore and work on map completion, being blocked because I need to spend another hour or two running events is a downer. Hey, I already had to give up doing dailies and goon teq because I just can't fit it in the past few days.

And for what it is worth, it's not like it is some crazy unheard of game design they have going on. I've played EverQuest, I've played project 1999, I've played WoW. I like Guild Wars 2 for the change in pace, where I can really just jump into whatever I felt like doing at any time. It's not that it is bad design, I just think it is bad design for what this game was.

On the plus side, I'm really enjoying the necro and there's still so much vanilla content to run another character through. Tons of fun too so be had there. I'm also really enjoying the fractal changes, which gives an unwashed scrub like myself the ability to run them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Remember:
Those people have nothing more to their lives than poopsocking a dumb video game. I'm at 8, I think but I have a more than full time job and a GF (but she plays, too).

I saw someone with like 110 mastery levels today, another with 133, and I just don't get it, how on earth do they have so many, how do you do that and also have a job/social life

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

CLAM DOWN posted:

I saw someone with like 110 mastery levels today, another with 133, and I just don't get it, how on earth do they have so many, how do you do that and also have a job/social life

We had a pubbie join us for some baby fractals today. He had a mastery level of 161.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

xZAOx posted:

We had a pubbie join us for some baby fractals today. He had a mastery level of 161.

...I didn't know it went that high :stare:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

You. Just. Don't.

I have a friend who is unemployed and WoW takes up 12 hours of every day. He's also a piece of poo poo and refuses to get a job. The same type of population plays GW2.
Once you know the *optimal* way to get XP, you can sink your whole day into repetition for sweet points.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

You. Just. Don't.

I have a friend who is unemployed and WoW takes up 12 hours of every day. He's also a piece of poo poo and refuses to get a job. The same type of population plays GW2.
Once you know the *optimal* way to get XP, you can sink your whole day into repetition for sweet points.

Grinding Spiders is such great XP. But also everything GW2 was not supposed to be.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You don't actually need updrafts or Nuhoch wallows to get around, though. Just doing the events around the outposts in the first bit of Verdant Brink will get you enough experience to finish up a level 1 mastery in about half an hour, less if you use experience boosters. You don't even need to do an entire outpost's worth of events in one sitting if you can't find 20-30 minutes of playtime and can knock it out over the course of a week if you really have to.

I can kind of understand that it seems overwhelming if you're just looking at the experience totals for the mastery levels but I really do think that people are blowing this out of proportion given I can take people with only basic gliding and mushrooms (and you can get away with not having mushrooms, it just takes longer) through every single one of the Hero Point challenges in both Verdant Brink and Auric Basin (albeit with a little portal sneakiness in Auric but that's only for 2 out of 11 if you don't do them). For reference, I've now run I think 16 hero points trains for people and I have Exalted/Nuhoch 3, Itzel 4 and Gliding 6 (I haven't even been to Dragon's Stand yet on any character beyond zoning in) so just doing the overworld content absolutely showers you in experience.

I know it's been posted before but one of the most useful things you can do while working towards masteries is use the experience boosters you've been sticking in your bank and eat your food. It makes an enormous difference to the tune of 75%+ more experience from kills and 50% more from just general stuff like events/hero points.

e: the mastery number is a combination of Maguuma+Tyria masteries so all those people you see with 100+ have been grinding cats or spiders or whatever to pad it out

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 12, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mercurius posted:

You don't actually need updrafts or Nuhoch wallows to get around, though. Just doing the events around the outposts in the first bit of Verdant Brink will get you enough experience to finish up a level 1 mastery in about half an hour, less if you use experience boosters. You don't even need to do an entire outpost's worth of events in one sitting if you can't find 20-30 minutes of playtime and can knock it out over the course of a week if you really have to.

I can kind of understand that it seems overwhelming if you're just looking at the experience totals for the mastery levels but I really do think that people are blowing this out of proportion given I can take people with only basic gliding and mushrooms (and you can get away with not having mushrooms, it just takes longer) through every single one of the Hero Point challenges in both Verdant Brink and Auric Basin (albeit with a little portal sneakiness in Auric but that's only for 2 out of 11 if you don't do them). For reference, I've now run I think 16 hero points trains for people and I have Exalted/Nuhoch 3, Itzel 4 and Gliding 6 (I haven't even been to Dragon's Stand yet on any character beyond zoning in) so just doing the overworld content absolutely showers you in experience.

I know it's been posted before but one of the most useful things you can do while working towards masteries is use the experience boosters you've been sticking in your bank and eat your food. It makes an enormous difference to the tune of 75%+ more experience from kills and 50% more from just general stuff like events/hero points.

I know all that, I agree, but I'm not talking about exploration, sorry that probably wasn't clear. It's very frustrating to see people walking around with autoloot and eating all the mushrooms already and knowing I won't be there for like a year at this rate. That's all. And I do use a heroic booster and celebration booster all the time.

e: like in an entire evening of playing I've gone from 17 to 18, with boosters.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know all that, I agree, but I'm not talking about exploration, sorry that probably wasn't clear. It's very frustrating to see people walking around with autoloot and eating all the mushrooms already and knowing I won't be there for like a year at this rate. That's all. And I do use a heroic booster and celebration booster all the time.

e: like in an entire evening of playing I've gone from 17 to 18, with boosters.
If it makes you feel better, I refuse to do any grinding and only have Fractal 2 and Pact 3 masteries in Tyria :v:

e: I have over 50 Maguuma mastery points though. The poopsock is coming from inside the house.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mercurius posted:

If it makes you feel better, I refuse to do any grinding and only have Fractal 2 and Pact 3 masteries in Tyria :v:

e: I have over 50 Maguuma mastery points though. The poopsock is coming from inside the house.

Here's where I am :(

There's no way I can maintain how much I've been playing so it'll slow down even more for me now

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Get gud casual :smug: - Anet

Is it a bad thing that I think WoW is literally less grindy than gw2 now?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's no way I can maintain how much I've been playing so it'll slow down even more for me now
Looks like you have all the important stuff, anyway. There's a few mastery points gated by poison mastery but if you're not trying to fill out higher tiers of mastery you probably don't care about those anyway since silver/gold on the adventures give mastery points as well.

Also your mastery number display is the total of your spent mastery points so as you work on higher tier masteries you'll find it jumps up in spurts (mine went up by 12 in one hit when I finished ley line gliding). I'm actually pretty irritable with the decision to show your cumulative mastery points as your "level" because it does nothing but encourage dickwaving and arbitrarily excluding people based on meaningless numbers.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

But that's a ton of stuff you have unlocked. I only have gliding 2, nuhoch 2, exalted 1 and itzel 1 and I'm playing through events just fine and having tons of fun. Just play the game, stop comparing yourself to other people and how many numbers they have compared to how many numbers you have. There are always going to be people who have stuff you don't because they have time that you don't, that's how games work. It's the same with legendaries or dyes or certain armour sets.

v I agree with this though, displaying the number does invite comparisons and could potentially make things lovely for people who would otherwise just be happy plugging along at their own pace.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 12, 2015

minus the walrus
Apr 8, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Looks like you have all the important stuff, anyway. There's a few mastery points gated by poison mastery but if you're not trying to fill out higher tiers of mastery you probably don't care about those anyway since silver/gold on the adventures give mastery points as well.

Also your mastery number display is the total of your spent mastery points so as you work on higher tier masteries you'll find it jumps up in spurts (mine went up by 12 in one hit when I finished ley line gliding). I'm actually pretty irritable with the decision to show your cumulative mastery points as your "level" because it does nothing but encourage dickwaving and arbitrarily excluding people based on meaningless numbers.

Yeah, I think it was a lovely decision to have your mastery rank displayed. While it shouldn't be an issue in the goon guilds, it's going to suck for people to be excluded from things because they didn't grind enough for, say, autoloot or whatever to show up. I just don't see the point in having it displayed anywhere but your hero screen, period.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Xun posted:

Dude i think wildstar is less of a grind now.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Xun posted:

blizz doesn't give a poo poo if you log in or not, as long as you pay the sub. anet wants you to grind so you buy gems out of boredom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Xae posted:

Grinding Spiders is such great XP. But also everything GW2 was not supposed to be.

I like grinding spiders. More than most of the game. It provides a measurable reward, in discrete bursts, doesn't try to engage me on anything but a gameplay level, and is actually kind of challenging and fun when you are doing it on your own.

• Locked thread