Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Mister Adequate posted:

When my Dawgmeat disappeared on me, he was hanging out at the Red Rocket gas station you first meet him at, not Sanctuary.

e; ^ Oh poo poo yes. Thank you for this information goon sir!

Thank you so much! That's where he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is it safe to leave power armor sitting somewhere unattended or do you need to leave it at a power armor station?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zeron posted:

On the cooking station you can create Vegetable Starch, which breaks down into 5 adhesive. It requires Mutfruit, Corn, Tato, and Purified Water which you can all produce at your settlement.

How do you get water from your settlement? I have pumps and a purifier thing, but I haven't noticed any bonus weird cardboard boxes of water showing up in my inventory.

edit: Also what the hell is a scavenging station or whatever do? I sometimes see an rear end in a top hat going at some random part of it with a power tool but idk to what end.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
If you have more water production than settlers you will get deposits of purified water into the workbench of the settlement. The scavenging station provides minuscule amounts of random junk into your workbench every now and again.

You can leave your power armor anywhere, it can get stolen if you leave a power core in it and anyone is nearby when you are though.

Edit: VV If you assign a settler to any plant it will automatically cue up for 6 food production total (12 0.5 food plants or 6 Mutfruit plans).

Zeron fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 12, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Manatee Cannon posted:

is it safe to leave power armor sitting somewhere unattended or do you need to leave it at a power armor station?

A poster many pages back mentioned that his armor actually was stolen. Presumably by raiders or something.

So i'm going with no. Put it somewhere safe.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

for assigning settlers, do i have to assign one to every plant?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
You can make your own drugs but you can't make your own alcohol :colbert: comeon Bethesda, let me build a still in my sanctuary and make my own moonshine

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanish posted:

for assigning settlers, do i have to assign one to every plant?

If you tell them to farm they usually assign to a bunch of plants.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If you tell them to farm they usually assign to a bunch of plants.

I wish the assignments were laid out for the player... I keep being low on food despite having tons of plants.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I think I just encountered a rad storm. The sky got all rad-stormy but i got maybe 50 rads total from it. Are there actual storms where i'll have to take shelter or are they just laughably weak to the point of being trivial?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Archonex posted:

A poster many pages back mentioned that his armor actually was stolen. Presumably by raiders or something.

So i'm going with no. Put it somewhere safe.

poo poo, I don't own any free stations and I can't make them yet (there's the one in diamond city but I dunno if that's safe since I don't own it)

wonder what would happen if I made a free floating platform in a settlement that you had to jump to and placed the armor on it? I guess I do still have spare suits of power armor anyway...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tamayachi posted:

Just got me a legendary piece of wood

It's maaaagic

This'd be perfect for Night Person/Mister Sandman perk'd stealth melee characters where you sneak up on people that are asleep and whack them upside the head like a goofy Three Stooges skit. :haw:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Speedball posted:

You ALSO need a radioactive isotope. Being guarded by a regenerating Glowing One boss swimming in the reactor. Have fun!

:lol: I shot him and he just ran off and stood in a corner until I took him out. Yeah that's what I was missing though.

So, is there a better way to scrap my junk than just throwing it on the ground and going into build mode? I figured one of these tables would have some sort of option for it but I'm not seeing anything.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I just started and leveled up to 2, and if I'm reading the stat screen correctly, it looks like Skills are no longer a thing? I used my fallout 3 starting SPECIAL with high int purely for the skill points, is it worth backtracking 20 minutes to put those 5 points toward perks I want instead?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I killed three enemies today that had the death skull that means they're vastly higher level. Combination of grenades, high power laser rifle and savescumming like a madman.

One was a Glowing One, one was a raider wearing power armor (and I didn't have mine handy), and a Yao Guai :stonk:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had a fight against a bunch of super mutants earlier and one with a skull by his name hat a loving fatman mininuke launcher. so now I have one. also where I got my third suit of power armor

Omi no Kami posted:

So I just started and leveled up to 2, and if I'm reading the stat screen correctly, it looks like Skills are no longer a thing? I used my fallout 3 starting SPECIAL with high int purely for the skill points, is it worth backtracking 20 minutes to put those 5 points toward perks I want instead?

honestly? yeah, you might as well. I did the same thing you did but I committed to it and I kinda regret it since I'm not interested in the high int stuff

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Are glowing ones weak to something because I am getting my rear end kicked :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

keyframe posted:

Are glowing ones weak to something because I am getting my rear end kicked :smith:

Grenades :unsmigghh: :torgue:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

So, is there a better way to scrap my junk than just throwing it on the ground and going into build mode? I figured one of these tables would have some sort of option for it but I'm not seeing anything.

Just transfer it all into the workbench and don't worry about it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Zaphod42 posted:

I killed three enemies today that had the death skull that means they're vastly higher level. Combination of grenades, high power laser rifle and savescumming like a madman.

One was a Glowing One, one was a raider wearing power armor (and I didn't have mine handy), and a Yao Guai :stonk:

Today I encountered what I assume was a legendary super mutant suicider. I heard that noise that tells you you should be running for the hills. Cue pants making GBS threads as I moused over it, saw the skull, then frantically tried to avoid what was almost certainly going to be a one hit kill nuke going off. This game is great for demonstrating why the wasteland is still a wasteland.

I got a sweet picture out of it though. He went off. Then the four cars nearby went off at the same moment. Cue me turning around as I heard the explosion to see literally the entire screen blanketed with fire. Then Preston came charging out of the fire in his power armor to put a bullet in the back of the last mutant as he was stunned and trying to pick himself up from the shockwave. :black101:

Edit: Also what the gently caress at a legendary super mutant suicider. That's a situation you just can't win. Though it did generate a nice little moment of black comedy. That evil little motherfucker screamed something like "Only one of us walk away!" in Hulk speak before he went off. This loving game. :allears:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 12, 2015

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Does anyone still have that image with all the perk points? It was posted here but I avoided reading it for spoiler-y reasons, but as all this info is readable in the interface right off the start of the game anyways, it's not much of a spoiler and would help to decide what kind of character I wanna make.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Real talk, this games is really good.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

poo poo, I don't own any free stations and I can't make them yet (there's the one in diamond city but I dunno if that's safe since I don't own it)

wonder what would happen if I made a free floating platform in a settlement that you had to jump to and placed the armor on it? I guess I do still have spare suits of power armor anyway...

If you take out the fusion core no one can steal them no matter what.

NESguerilla posted:

:lol: I shot him and he just ran off and stood in a corner until I took him out. Yeah that's what I was missing though.

If you transfer it to a workstation it will stay in that inventory and will be automatically be broken down to give you the components you need. So far it seems that while the item disappears one one component from it is used, the rest of the components that make it up will appear later and it's just a visual bug.

Omi no Kami posted:

INT increases exp gain, and unlike other games there is no level cap so that is actually really useful. INT also has a lot of really good perks, Science is required for alot of the better settlement/crafting options, Medic makes stimpacks amazing and they are really common, you need Gun Nut for most weapon mods, Scrapper is good for materials, and Nuclear Physicist is great if you use power armor alot. I would cap it at 6 but it's definitely not a dump stat(that's charisma).

Don't bother getting charisma for the settlement perks, supply chains are semi-useful if you build up a lot of settlements but they don't really save anything but a bit of time. The shops you can setup are full fledged shops which is really useful for buying ammo and the like, but not really worth the investment.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zeron posted:

If you have more water production than settlers you will get deposits of purified water into the workbench of the settlement. The scavenging station provides minuscule amounts of random junk into your workbench every now and again.

You can leave your power armor anywhere, it can get stolen if you leave a power core in it and anyone is nearby when you are though.

Edit: VV If you assign a settler to any plant it will automatically cue up for 6 food production total (12 0.5 food plants or 6 Mutfruit plans).

Oh word, thank you.

Also, did y'all see that rusty power armor sitting in a chainlink cage on some cage? Is that for a quest later on or was I too dumb to get in there? I didn't remember where my Power Armor was and was hoping to commandeer that suit. I since found my suit, but would be nice for a backup or something. Assuming I ever get in again.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I really cannot be arsed messing around with the settlement mechanics until Bethesda (or, more likely, a modder) adds some sort of roster that lets me keep track of who's doing what and where they are. Also, everybody in my town being a characterless, nameless generic settler is soul destroying and I find myself asking "what's the point?" Additionally, I cannot summon one gently caress to give about my useless dead husband or hideous child and I'm really struggling to find anything else in the game that's supposed to be compelling.

The guns are neat and the customisation options are pretty cool and I like having to scrounge and scavenge for screws and duct tape and cigarettes that inexplicably contain asbestos, but the writing is so lackluster it does the opposite of what it should and actively disengages me from the apallingly flimsy (but at the same time intrusively prominent) story. There's nothing to latch onto there and I'd much prefer they hadn't tried to tell me how I feel or what I want in the first place. Let me cough out my own character and project my own concept onto them and maybe give me more than three-and-a-half dialogue options to deal with at any one time so I can actually interact with the narrative on my own terms like in the actual RPG incarnations of the Fallout series:argh:. Maybe I'm being a whiny pissbaby about the game, but I'm seriously considering just getting a refund and picking it up in a year's time after the creation kit belatedly comes out. The game is probably worth £45, but not to me and not right now.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Zeron posted:

INT increases exp gain, and unlike other games there is no level cap so that is actually really useful. INT also has a lot of really good perks, Science is required for alot of the better settlement/crafting options, Medic makes stimpacks amazing and they are really common, you need Gun Nut for most weapon mods, Scrapper is good for materials, and Nuclear Physicist is great if you use power armor alot. I would cap it at 6 but it's definitely not a dump stat(that's charisma).

How no level cap is no level cap? Like, if I'm feeling lazy can I keep my int high and gradually raise all my special to 10, or will I have likely gotten to the end of the game before that becomes feasible?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

If you don't like the Int stuff sure.

But honestly, the Int stuff is probably the best stuff in the game. VATS is near useless in this game I've found ( well, it's still great, it's just the fps shooting stuff works fine now, so why bother spending 30 levels of perks on VATS ), which pretty much trivializes most of Perception/Agility/Luck. Strength is basically just for carry weight ( or melee, but it's super either/or ), which is also kind of iffy since you'll be spending lots of the game in Power Armor/can give things to companions. Endurance at least still gives health, Charisma is used often for conversations ( and you want it at least at 6 if you plan to use settlements ), and Int gives more exp/has great perks.

I basically got Perception high enough for Lockpicking, Luck up high enough for Scrounger, Strength high enough for Armorer, and then everything else went into Endurance/Charisma/Int. Everything else feels like dump stats almost, although I'm eyeing a few Agility things I wish weren't so far down the tree.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Also I encountered a new raider enemy today. Turns out they have a pet NPC that's pretty hilarious. It's a mole rat with a bunch of fragmentation mines strapped to it. Given how mole rats tend to beeline to the nearest living thing and suicidally attack it...Well, picture the mess it makes. :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NESguerilla posted:

You don't need to scrap it

Just put it in the workbench at your base and it will be treated as if its scrapped

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zeron posted:

If you take out the fusion core no one can steal them no matter what.

that's really useful to know, thanks

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

How no level cap is no level cap? Like, if I'm feeling lazy can I keep my int high and gradually raise all my special to 10, or will I have likely gotten to the end of the game before that becomes feasible?

From what I've heard it's pretty limited by quest exp, and there's essentially a soft cap(depending on your int) of around 50-80 before you start having to grind out by killing stuff.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Omi no Kami posted:

I think there is a limit to the amount of perk points you can spend on stats

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Two questions:

I'm trying to fix up my old house in Sanctuary. I've already scrapped and replaced most of the broken furniture, installed a generator and put in some lights, etc., but the floor's still covered in (unselectable) garbage and there's all these holes in the walls. Is there some way to fix this? Or at least some nice things I could cover all that stuff up with? Will I eventually unlock fancier furniture and decorations, or is the stuff I start out with it forever?

Also (I literally don't care about being spoiled, since I'm trying to make an informed choice about what plot line I want to pursue, and also because the story isn't really that good so I don't really care about what happens) is the Institute actually super evil? I kind of want to side with them just because I work for MIT irl and working for them in Fallout would be kind of funny but not if you have to run around murdering babies or whatever. Like, are they Mr. House-style ruthless pragmatists, or Caesar's Legion style cartoon super-villains?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ok so i have a supply line set up and i have all the resources from all of them available for construction but they don't show up in the actual workshop container, is that intentional or a bug?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
This thing is a monster

Also why are the settlements so bugged. Sanctuary keeps randomly changing the amount of food/water/beds I have available, leading to happiness going down. As soon as I travel there everything changes back to normal, but happiness stays down.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 12, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I was attacking some mosquitos and my character randomly screamed "KILLL YOUUUU!" :black101:

I approve of this game.

El Diabolico
Dec 19, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kanish posted:

I wish the assignments were laid out for the player... I keep being low on food despite having tons of plants.

Really wish there was a list somewhere of who is assigned to what so i wouldnt have to keep a mental list of that.

Kinda sucks especially now that i've started doing supply routes and poo poo. Having some random guy walk into town and i'd be like 'who the hell is that' only for it to turn out to be a provisioner from another town that i forgot about cause i never see him in his town anymore.

Ended up making a house that looks vaguely house-like instead of a cube.

The UI ends up becoming a massive pain once you start dealing with individual floor/wall/roof pieces. stuff that should snap, wont. Also stuff that is half tile wide doesn't snap well with others. You have to really plan those out if you wanna use them. finally, the door wall lets you put a half tile floor piece right down the center of the tile. I'm wondering if that has any applications for anything other than thin hallways.

ShadowMar posted:

ok so i have a supply line set up and i have all the resources from all of them available for construction but they don't show up in the actual workshop container, is that intentional or a bug?

i dont think they show up in the container but i think they do show up when you're using them to build crap.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Important question: can my power-armored jetpack dude use a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other like a real life space marine? If not, why the gently caress not?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's a unique VATS melee kill for radroaches! You step on them. Haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You meet the dog in this game at the red rocket truck stop.

They knew, right? They had to have known.

• Locked thread