Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

That doesn't make sense really, crop sensors aren't any less croppable than full frame. Full frame is better but not in the ways he is describing.

What it is, is he is coming from a 40D, which has long since passed any acceptable quality standards. That camera is outdated as gently caress. The 40D infuriated me with its poo poo low-light abilities and I was using one when it was still one of the best crop sensor bodies out. You could be using any camera made since the X-Trans/OMD-II generation came out and it would be blowing the 40D out of the water in every way possible.

The 40D was my first digital camera and coming from 35mm film I hated that loving thing.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The 40D was not bad at ISO 1600, and could produce passable results at 3200, which was pretty good for its day. It wasn't until the 7D or 60D came out that APS-C cameras started getting good at 3200 and up.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Having turned on my first gen rebel from ancient history recently, that thing is almost usable if you can deal with agonizingly long intermittent delays and shoot only outdoors during daytime.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

HPL posted:

The 40D was not bad at ISO 1600, and could produce passable results at 3200, which was pretty good for its day. It wasn't until the 7D or 60D came out that APS-C cameras started getting good at 3200 and up.

At the time it was mediocre, but we aren't in 2008 anymore. Barely passable at 1600 is no longer acceptable by current sensor standards.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

At the time it was mediocre, but we aren't in 2008 anymore. Barely passable at 1600 is no longer acceptable by current sensor standards.
GET OFF MAH LAWN

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

GET OFF MAH LAWN

He's not wrong dude.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I lost the front ring that protects the lens threads on my X100T. Anyone know if there is somewhere to get a replacement or if there are adapter rings that don't block the built in flash?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dren posted:

I lost the front ring that protects the lens threads on my X100T. Anyone know if there is somewhere to get a replacement or if there are adapter rings that don't block the built in flash?

I sent my X100T to Fuji in Edison New Jersey for a repair and they sent a refurb (in better condition) back without the ring. I called them to bitch about it and they sent me another one, the supervisor mentioned that they didn't use to sell that part but now they do, so call them and ask to buy it. They may gouge you.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Dren posted:

Does the adapter ring actually block the flash? I had one on for ages and never had a problem but it's def possible that I just never noticed (and now i'm curious)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I was replying more to your being angry at the 40D back when it was your primary. The top of the line stuff at the time back then was barely a stop or two faster than the 40D, so it was kind of silly to be angry at it when it wasn't that bad relative to the rest of the market. Did the 40D get old fast? Hell yeah. I shot concerts with a 40D and Rebel XTi for about 4 years and fortunately noise reduction software improved enough that I was able to limp along with it until I was able to upgrade. It's not like film was significantly faster or better either. I used to shoot Delta 400 and HP5 at 3200 all the time, but it was a colossal pain in the rear end to develop compared to digital and even then there was a pretty decent chance that something would gently caress up somewhere in the process between loading the film in the camera and scanning the developed negatives.

But overall, yes, I roll with an A7S now up to ISO 51200 and you would have to pay me a very considerable amount of money to get me to go back to the 40D and I wouldn't recommend the 40D for anything other than an infrared conversion these days.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Animal posted:

I sent my X100T to Fuji in Edison New Jersey for a repair and they sent a refurb (in better condition) back without the ring. I called them to bitch about it and they sent me another one, the supervisor mentioned that they didn't use to sell that part but now they do, so call them and ask to buy it. They may gouge you.

Thanks. I sent an email to support. Hopefully I will hear back.

feigning interest posted:

Does the adapter ring actually block the flash? I had one on for ages and never had a problem but it's def possible that I just never noticed (and now i'm curious)

I have an eBay one and come to think of it I might be thinking of the flash being blocked by the lens hood not the ring. I'll have to double check.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Speaking of Fuji flash. Would anybody be interested in an EF-20 flash that has been used like twice if I put it up in the used gear thread?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Bit of a specific question, but the other day I was trying to find a cheap way to rent a telephoto Fuji lens in NYC for just a day or so. I don't need the f2.8, just the basic 55-200 would be good enough. I googled a bunch and couldn't find anything that didn't involve shipping it from out of state and paying almost as much for shipping as for the lens.

Anyone in the area know a place that might have it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheEye posted:

Bit of a specific question, but the other day I was trying to find a cheap way to rent a telephoto Fuji lens in NYC for just a day or so. I don't need the f2.8, just the basic 55-200 would be good enough. I googled a bunch and couldn't find anything that didn't involve shipping it from out of state and paying almost as much for shipping as for the lens.

Worst comes to worst, just go to B&H, buy one, then return it when you're done (wasn't what I was looking for/needed something wider/longer/faster/blah blah 15% restocking fee, sure thing)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheEye posted:

I was going to point you to the obvious choice, Adorama Rental, and just found out they don't rent Fuji lens any more. Wow what a terrible way to find out the bad news. I rank it right behind going to Pearl Paint to get some art supply and found out the the 50-year old store had closed.

This definitely has to do with Fuji opening their own lens rental service.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 10, 2015

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Speaking of Fuji lenses anybody used the XC 50-230? It's soooo cheap and light (can get it for about £100) that im tempted to just get it so I have a telephoto and although the XF 55-200 is superior (aperture especially) its about 5x as expensive.

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?
Does anybody have any kind of idea when the 40-150 2.8 Oly will be on sale again in the Olympus Outlet? Is it pretty rare? Feel like I'm going to be waiting forever :(

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Linedance posted:

Worst comes to worst, just go to B&H, buy one, then return it when you're done (wasn't what I was looking for/needed something wider/longer/faster/blah blah 15% restocking fee, sure thing)

Eh, if it's actually 15% I could rent it cheaper from an online place even with the shipping. I guess it's possible that it would still appear brand new and thus be free... unless opening the box prevents that entirely.

whatever7 posted:

I was going to point you to the obvious choice, Adorama Rental, and just found out they don't rent Fuji lens any more. Wow what a terrible way to find out the bad news. I rank it right behind going to Pearl Paint to get some art supply and found out the the 50-year old store had closed.

This definitely has to do with Fuji opening their own lens rental service.

I didn't know they used to have Fuji, but yeah, I checked there and was similarly disappointed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

TheEye posted:

Eh, if it's actually 15% I could rent it cheaper from an online place even with the shipping. I guess it's possible that it would still appear brand new and thus be free... unless opening the box prevents that entirely.

I didn't know they used to have Fuji, but yeah, I checked there and was similarly disappointed.

You could buy an adapter and rent a nikon lens or whatevs if you are down with manual focus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bizzaro Quik posted:

Does anybody have any kind of idea when the 40-150 2.8 Oly will be on sale again in the Olympus Outlet? Is it pretty rare? Feel like I'm going to be waiting forever :(

It's not very common in there, no. Any particular reason you want to go through Oly Outlet as opposed to Amazon, Adorama, etc?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Linedance posted:

I prefer Keh with 14 days and Amazon warehouse with 30 days return. The vendor doesn't have to sell the lens as open boxed, so you don't really cost the vendor any money.

I haven't done it yet but its something like a plan C for me. Since fujifilmprorental has everything including the 16mm and the 2.8 zooms I want to support them first.

Man I really miss Adorama's pickup-Thursday-return-Monday-morning cheap weekend rental.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dren posted:

I have an eBay one and come to think of it I might be thinking of the flash being blocked by the lens hood not the ring. I'll have to double check.

update: the adapter ring does not block the flash unless the lens hood is on

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?

DJExile posted:

It's not very common in there, no. Any particular reason you want to go through Oly Outlet as opposed to Amazon, Adorama, etc?

It seemed to be cheaper on Olympus w/ the discount. Like 1100 I think.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The sale prior to Halloweens was Summer in late June.

Maybe Black Friday/x-mas will help you out but I think the sales are also restricted by refurbished stock.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bizzaro Quik posted:

It seemed to be cheaper on Olympus w/ the discount. Like 1100 I think.

Oh wow, I hadn't realized it was that low. Fair enough.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
B&H and Adorama have the Sigma 19mm E-mount back in stock in case anyone else was looking.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
are you guys wary of buying used or international lens off ebay?
I've gotten a couple in new/mint condition and they were both fine + cheaper than even the olympus refurb options.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My XF 35mm f/2 shipped from B&H! :bubblewoop:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I sort of dropped out of photography entirely for a few years and now that I'm picking it up again I am appreciating my XE1 all over again, with the exception of the fact that it doesn't have WiFi. I thought WiFi was such a gimmick when I was shooting, and it probably still is, but I'm so used to doing everything by WiFi now -- airdrop, moving files around on computers, etc., that having to pull a card out of my camera and fumble around the back of my Mac Mini until I can find the slot is super annoying.

Really thinking about trying to flip the XE1 and pick up an XE2 unless there's something new on the horizon for Fuji midrange cameras.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Man I sort of dropped out of photography entirely for a few years and now that I'm picking it up again I am appreciating my XE1 all over again, with the exception of the fact that it doesn't have WiFi. I thought WiFi was such a gimmick when I was shooting, and it probably still is, but I'm so used to doing everything by WiFi now -- airdrop, moving files around on computers, etc., that having to pull a card out of my camera and fumble around the back of my Mac Mini until I can find the slot is super annoying.

Really thinking about trying to flip the XE1 and pick up an XE2 unless there's something new on the horizon for Fuji midrange cameras.

Just get a EyeFi, much easier to use than the wifi on Fuji's bodies.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Just get a EyeFi, much easier to use than the wifi on Fuji's bodies.

Oh poo poo I forgot these even existed. 32gb for $100 isn't bad at all if it gets me easy wifi on my XE1.

Are these generally solid, or do they use some lovely B-grade chips that are going to fail in a year?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Can back up the fact that WiFi on Fuji bodies is absolute garbage.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It's not ideal, but it works. I use it very frequently, at the moment with an iPhone 6S Plus, and it works reliably. Same with a Nexus 6. The main problem is getting them connected as it can be fidgety. I've wondered why they don't use bluetooth, but I guess the range would not be the same so remote shooting would not be as good. I have heard that its much better than the EyeFi, but I have never used an EyeFi so I don't know.

To answer the question about X-E1 vs XE-2: It depends. I did that upgrade a year ago, had an X-E1 but decided that I wanted to share my images to social media on my travels without having to bring a laptop, and also I am extremely intolerant of low resolution LCD screens, so I upgraded. I thought it was worth it not just for the WiFi, but for the better LCD and viewfinder, and surprisingly, for Classic Chrome. So my sister inherited the X-E1. So, if you ONLY want the WiFi, the EyeFi should be a good stopgap measure until new cameras are released. If you also want nicer LCD screens, better AF, and Classic Chrome (it may seem silly but its actually awesome) then its a nice upgrade. I would not buy a new X-E2 though, I would shop for a used one. If you must get a new camera, just wait for whatever is next.

-edit typos

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Why they use wifi not Bluetooth: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29104278/why-does-wi-fi-have-so-much-more-bandwidth-than-bluetooth

Eyefi cards are ok for transferring stuff from your camera to your phone or tablet if your camera doesn't already have wifi. For dumping photos off your card plug it in with a card reader. Wifi takes forever and will drain your camera battery.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

XE1 vs XE2: I don't really have many complaints with the base XE1 other than the lack of wifi. My second biggest complaint would be that in low light the EVF is really laggy. Though having said that I actually used it in low light recently and it's not nearly as bad as I remember it. The low-res thing may just be because I haven't seen an XE2's EVF so it could be that I don't know what i'm missing which I'm technically Ok with for now.

I think I'll stick with the XE1 for now, though if they come out with an XE3 I'll probably be in line to buy one. I really hope they're not planning on moving to the "slr-like" bodies only because I absolutely LOVE the rangefinder style of the XE/XPro line.

I really like that a lot of cameras are going with retro styling though. Absolutely love that look.

Slowhanded posted:

Having turned on my first gen rebel from ancient history recently, that thing is almost usable if you can deal with agonizingly long intermittent delays and shoot only outdoors during daytime.

Also if you never look through the "viewfinder"

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 12, 2015

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So far I'm loving my X100T. One thing has been bothering me though. Is there a way to keep the EVF 'engaged' while still keeping the eye sensor on to switch to the rear LCD? I hate putting my eye up and having to wait for the EVF to swing into place. (I know, I should probably use the optical viewfinder, but I'm just not a fan...)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Martytoof posted:

XE1 vs XE2

You seem like the target demo for the X-T10. Barring any form factor requirements, that is.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

frogbs posted:

So far I'm loving my X100T. One thing has been bothering me though. Is there a way to keep the EVF 'engaged' while still keeping the eye sensor on to switch to the rear LCD? I hate putting my eye up and having to wait for the EVF to swing into place. (I know, I should probably use the optical viewfinder, but I'm just not a fan...)

Did you turn off power saving mode? That might help.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Saros posted:

Speaking of Fuji lenses anybody used the XC 50-230? It's soooo cheap and light (can get it for about £100) that im tempted to just get it so I have a telephoto and although the XF 55-200 is superior (aperture especially) its about 5x as expensive.

Anybody have experience with this lens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

Saros posted:

Anybody have experience with this lens?

I have one, bought it for 100 USD and use it occasionally on my XE1. I have no complaints when using in good light. I will edit with a pic or two when I have a chance.