Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

drunk asian neighbor posted:

well the goon Diadem LS filled up super fast and we're sending a steady stream of 24-man groups out where everyone is having a great time but I guess none of our opinions are valid since we're not insufferable poopsocking sperglords

I mean who the gently caress even cares about BiS in this situation anyway? If you have full i210 somehow you've clearly already gotten AS down to a science, and so I don't see what a chest piece with 3 more Crit on it will do in the context of actual gameplay. As far as I can see it's literally all about epeen and bigger numbers

So far i've really enjoyed what i've done in Diadem (though I wish it was more profitable to grind as a single group rather than a hellzerg). I couldn't give a poo poo about "OMG MY MASSIVE BIS", though - i'm just worrying about how they'll react to overinflated budgets, and hoping it's something sane.

That said, I really wish peacefully grinding in Diadem was more rewarding. They should make progress toward Fresh Tracks only come from an actual tag, but make the Tracks themselves always spawn a Star rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

EponymousMrYar posted:

On one hand it's insane that such gear exists, on the other hand it's even more insane to expect to get a full set of that gear before the next gear level(s) come out and obsolete it.

People are annoyed because it is insane but someone is going to do it and they have an unfair gear edge in progression that you can't equalize through your own means alone. One way i see this not happening if they do a gear jump before progression like with the last raid, but I don't think they will and i210 is entry gear. In that famitsu interview Yoshida seems like he might ditch the idea of difficulty tiers, it didn't seem to work as he expected. But I don't think they can go back to how it was like in coil so who knows but something probably will change.

If people don't care about secondaries that's valid but I'm not sure what horse they have in this race. No one sane is saying that the pink stuff shouldn't be par, it should just have a stat budget like the rest. Diadem is cool, absurd rng in stat rolls stinks like Diablo 3 and man that poo poo smelled bad.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Fister Roboto posted:

One major improvement they could do is just make diadem gear behave like every other piece of gear in the game: one major stat and one minor stat, but randomly selected.

This, or have the values of the secondary stats cap at the low end. Or make it somehow possible to purchase it with tokens since that's their new thing to combat people's bad feeling with rng.

Also my argument for shutting down "I don't see a problem lol" guy wasn't because he has less experience overall, but less experience with specifically progression raiding which is what everyone but him was talking about. I even gave an example with how I wouldn't jump in with my 2 cents on crafting when I don't craft. Please read my posts before you tell me how much I suck at posting.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Things that could be done to improve Diadem:

Make gear drop with a minimum of two secondaries, one of which is always maxed. The amount of terrible, terrible gear 210 that drops is absurd - at least this way they're often reasonable pickups for alts.

Put Brass Pirate Spoils as loot for Rank Vs and NMs so even if you don't win any rolls you can get a few spoils a run.

Make finishing your three objectives reward a Brass Spoil if its combat related or a Silver Spoil if its gathering related. For stuff like inspecting crystals or looting chests, make it random.

Allow people to exchange Spoils for "Uncovered Aetherial Booty", a random 210 piece for your class.

Finally, I'd suggest reducing the amount of secondary stats allowed to 3. This way BiS becomes a more reasonable goal.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Belzac posted:

See this is almost an argument for it but it just completely skips the why the gear had to be this much better and also fails to address what people who are progression raiders "need" to do in prep for 3.2 raids. Yes, hundreds of extra secondary stats do make a difference in "actual gameplay" when your goal is to down content at 210 that is tuned for 230+. Also you're responding to my "lovely attitude" with an even shittier one so "you can gently caress right off" as well.

"Progression raiders" are the worst.

Chyea posted:

Make gear drop with a minimum of two secondaries, one of which is always maxed. The amount of terrible, terrible gear 210 that drops is absurd - at least this way they're often reasonable pickups for alts.

Put Brass Pirate Spoils as loot for Rank Vs and NMs so even if you don't win any rolls you can get a few spoils a run.

Make finishing your three objectives reward a Brass Spoil if its combat related or a Silver Spoil if its gathering related. For stuff like inspecting crystals or looting chests, make it random.

Allow people to exchange Spoils for "Uncovered Aetherial Booty", a random 210 piece for your class.

Finally, I'd suggest reducing the amount of secondary stats allowed to 3. This way BiS becomes a more reasonable goal.

I think if all that happened, then someone could make legitimate complaints for Diadem loving up the gear progression and what not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Lol at progression raiders whining at no longer having the biggest stat dick after 5 months of having it.

You've completely missed the point people are trying to make. Nobody here has said that it's bad that casual players can get good gear. gently caress you for making GBS threads on people bringing up a valid problem just because they play the game differently than you do.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

For a casual like me diadem is fun and if I get a gear piece upgrade then yay bonus! But for progression raiders where gear actually matters it's a problem. I imagine progression raiders will attempt to farm the crap out of diadem so they have bis in preparation to be the worlds first for the next raid tier. Maybe this is SE's way to retaining the raider's subscription... but farming the same content over and over again isn't like fun. You guys are viewing this as an epeen thing, but I think this can potentially cause serious balance issues for 3.2.

Edit: goddamn this moved fast

bleuraindrops fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 12, 2015

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I am in a static working on A3S. The majority of statics seriously in Savage are in a similar boat and working on A3S/A4S. We are not the big dick progression raiders you seem to think everyone is. Now there is gear that just drops for basically no effort albeit an unhealthy timesink that can be better than the rewards we get for A1-4S, despite one being a zerg fest and one being some of the hardest content the game has ever had. The risk vs reward is all kinds of hosed, and if your response to that is just "lol raiders" then you don't have enough experience in MMOs to understand how this sort of problem generally signals issues down the road.

Think about it this way: They added Gordian manifesto pages to reduce the awfulness of loot RNG in raids. Then they add daidem loot as it is? What sense does that make?

nuru fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 12, 2015

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Belzac posted:

See this is almost an argument for it but it just completely skips the why the gear had to be this much better and also fails to address what people who are progression raiders "need" to do in prep for 3.2 raids. Yes, hundreds of extra secondary stats do make a difference in "actual gameplay" when your goal is to down content at 210 that is tuned for 230+. Also you're responding to my "lovely attitude" with an even shittier one so "you can gently caress right off" as well.

It didn't have to be better and it mostly isn't - as people have said before there's a reason why the same drat pants keep getting posted - RNGing a piece that's significantly better than a blue i210 piece is going to be incredibly rare. You can ask around but the goon Diadem LS has been running hardmode basically nonstop and I think I've heard about a single wrist piece dropping that was somewhere between Eso and Savage Alex in terms of stats. These mythical "hundreds of extra secondary stats" pieces are going to make up a statistically insignificant amount of actual gear and there's no way in hell 3.2 raids will require you to have anything more than a full set of i210 regardless of where it comes from.

3.1 has been out for 3 days, I don't understand how you can already be theorizing on what you'll "need" to do for 3.2 raiding

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

nuru posted:

I am in a static working on A3S. The majority of statics seriously in Savage are in a similar boat, or working on A3S. We are not the big dick progression raiders you seem to think everyone else. Now there is gear that just drops for basically no effort albeit an unhealthy timesink that can be better than the rewards we get for A1-4S, despite one being a zerg fest and one being some of the hardest content the game has ever had. The risk vs reward is all kinds of hosed, and if your response to that is just "lol raiders" then you don't have enough experience in MMOs to understand how this sort of problem generally signals issues down the road.

Think about it this way: They added Gordian manifesto pages to reduce the awfulness of loot RNG in raids. Then they add daidem loot as it is? What sense does that make?

Yeah, for anyone who's not a "MMO VETERAN" or whatever you want to call it - unchecked stat inflation almost always leads to A Bad Time.. and it doesn't always take very long to get there. The best thing we can hope for is a quick, honest response about what Diadem means toward the future of the game, while enjoying the good parts of it in the meanwhile.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Fister Roboto posted:

One major improvement they could do is just make diadem gear behave like every other piece of gear in the game: one major stat and one minor stat, but randomly selected.

Belzac posted:

This, or have the values of the secondary stats cap at the low end. Or make it somehow possible to purchase it with tokens since that's their new thing to combat people's bad feeling with rng.
[max value] 4 substat gear is cuckoo bananas broken. BIG NUMBERS are cool, but this should be an inarguable position.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Hey look at all these other poo poo posters who think Diadem is not balanced in it's current state. They all must be shitters like me. People are used to "casuals" catching up on odd numbered patches. This is how it's been for like 2 years now. No one is mad that people who don't do savage get to have 210 gear. Hell, I think most raiders at this point would want 215 relics.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

3.1 has been out for 3 days, I don't understand how you can already be theorizing on what you'll "need" to do for 3.2 raiding

The dilemma they face has less to do with the actual realistic difference it'll end up making (which is not negligible but also likely won't matter a few weeks after 3.2 hits, and possibly sooner), and more to do with the thought that there's something they could still be doing to better their position for down the road. Even if that something is so horribly RNG as to be next to futile.

Personally it makes me glad I'm too casual to have to worry about such things. I'd hate to feel obligated to farm Diadem nonstop in the hopes of RNG favoring me enough times over the next 3 months.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Gear progression isn't really an issue, I think it's good catchup patches to include upgrades to the previous patches raid stuff. Previously all we had was the CT-equivalent, which was 10 ilevels lower than the last raid tier.

My problem with the content is the hellgrind to get a few reasonable pieces. For example, Diadem Hard Mode with 5-6 organized groups of people murdering the poo poo out of Rank Vs spawns a LOT of NMs. You're basically going to get 15+ NMs every lockout. And even with all those gold treasure coffers, your likely going to only get 0-2 truly good pieces. And even those pieces won't likely be for your class, and then you have to win the roll against players of the same class. It's just an absurd grind which I don't think fits in FFXIV. A friend of mine and fellow progression raider summed it up pretty well in this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3si3ti/the_problem_with_diadem_gear_for_raiders/cwxhjse

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Chyea posted:

Gear progression isn't really an issue, I think it's good catchup patches to include upgrades to the previous patches raid stuff. Previously all we had was the CT-equivalent, which was 10 ilevels lower than the last raid tier.

My problem with the content is the hellgrind to get a few reasonable pieces. For example, Diadem Hard Mode with 5-6 organized groups of people murdering the poo poo out of Rank Vs spawns a LOT of NMs. You're basically going to get 15+ NMs every lockout. And even with all those gold treasure coffers, your likely going to only get 0-2 truly good pieces. And even those pieces won't likely be for your class, and then you have to win the roll against players of the same class. It's just an absurd grind which I don't think fits in FFXIV. A friend of mine and fellow progression raider summed it up pretty well in this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3si3ti/the_problem_with_diadem_gear_for_raiders/cwxhjse

The proper way to play Diadem is to relax, crack open a beer (or whatever drink you prefer), go into MMO chill mode. It's basically a way to hang out with cool people and punch monsters in the face.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

It didn't have to be better and it mostly isn't - as people have said before there's a reason why the same drat pants keep getting posted - RNGing a piece that's significantly better than a blue i210 piece is going to be incredibly rare. You can ask around but the goon Diadem LS has been running hardmode basically nonstop and I think I've heard about a single wrist piece dropping that was somewhere between Eso and Savage Alex in terms of stats. These mythical "hundreds of extra secondary stats" pieces are going to make up a statistically insignificant amount of actual gear and there's no way in hell 3.2 raids will require you to have anything more than a full set of i210 regardless of where it comes from.

People spend hundreds of millions of gil on patch day to get around +270 secondary stats in 2.2 and 2.4. These fights they did this for did not "require" that gear. They got it because any small advantage, even how ever insignificant was worth it.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Anyway, Diadem as it currently stands feels incomplete. Objectives should mean more, gathering should its own thing instead of punishing people who DF (also should have more variety to gather, I'm thinking Collectables or Aetherial Reduction), spawn conditions shouldn't be simply killing a fuckton of mobs.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

like if /r/ffxiv and this thread and the OF were flooded with people showing off their better-than-Gordian Mistbreak gear then I could see the problem but so far it's just those same MNK pants over and over and over

I understand the gripe, really. If another week or so goes by and it turns out the odds of a Mistbreak piece dropping with better stats than its Gordian equivalent are in the 5-10% range, then yeah, I understand why progression raiders would be upset. Even if it was 1%. But realistically it's probably more along the lines of <.5% or maybe even less, so it really shouldn't be looked at as "this is what you need to do to be ready for 3.2 raiding" as much as "do Diadem in your free time and if you get extremely lucky maybe you'll have a very slight edge come 3.2"

I'm not saying the system is perfect and I agree there's always room for improvement, but IMO this really isn't a situation where progression raiders need to feel obligated to grind the gently caress out of Diadem to be ready, an opinion which I think the devs shared when designing the gear drops. Although to be honest, if the drop rate for BiS pieces was high enough to warrant grinding it out (but it won't be), I don't see how that would be very different than grinding Eso stones or the pre-nerf relic grind.

Chyea posted:

This is A Good Post

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Chyea posted:

Anyway, Diadem as it currently stands feels incomplete. Objectives should mean more, gathering should its own thing instead of punishing people who DF (also should have more variety to gather, I'm thinking Collectables or Aetherial Reduction), spawn conditions shouldn't be simply killing a fuckton of mobs.

Isn't the Crafting/Gathering side even more hosed as a grind than the Battle side, too? You need more than a full instances' worth of nodes to even get one V materia's worth of tokens, and you need some ungodly amount of materia to get the DoH/DoL equivalent of Full Best In Slot.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Part of it is also the issue of ilvl pacing at all. On even patches, hardcore raiders go up 20 ilvls and everyone else goes up 10. (Some midcore raiders will be in between, and some of the filthier casuals will be less than 10. But in general...) On odd patches, hardcore raiders go up 0 and everyone else, again, goes up 10 (catching them up, ilvl-wise).

This, needless to say, leaves the hardcore raiders with a few issues of what to do with themselves during every other patch since they're not enjoying that smooth consistent +10 to shoot for every single time. So in the odd patches especially, the goal shifts to an optimization one (and a preparation for the next even patch) and you hear all sorts of talk about BiS. While in even patches, especially early in them, BiS is theorized and idly shot for. But everyone (hardcore or not) is primarily chasing pure ilvl for a while unless something is hideously badly itemized, until they've gotten to the point of having the luxury of two items to choose between in the first place.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Even if was actually 0.00001% to get a better than 210 standard piece the existence of it would still put pressure on raiders to get it. It's more than just wanting the best numbers. It's about wanting to provide the best possible experience for the 7 other people you'll be tackling content with and knowing your 5% weaker than you could have been will always sit wrong this demographic.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vil posted:

Part of it is also the issue of ilvl pacing at all. On even patches, hardcore raiders go up 20 ilvls and everyone else goes up 10. (Some midcore raiders will be in between, and some of the filthier casuals will be less than 10. But in general...) On odd patches, hardcore raiders go up 0 and everyone else, again, goes up 10 (catching them up, ilvl-wise).

This, needless to say, leaves the hardcore raiders with a few issues of what to do with themselves during every other patch since they're not enjoying that smooth consistent +10 to shoot for every single time. So in the odd patches especially, the goal shifts to an optimization one (and a preparation for the next even patch) and you hear all sorts of talk about BiS. While in even patches, especially early in them, BiS is theorized and idly shot for. But everyone (hardcore or not) is primarily chasing pure ilvl for a while unless something is hideously badly itemized, until they've gotten to the point of having the luxury of two items to choose between in the first place.

If that's the case then Mistbreak gear should be looked at as a slightly positive thing - a way for raiders who already have full i210 to get a shot at some small upgrades. If people were really dropping hundreds of millions of gil on substats then running Diadem a bunch seems like the kind of timesink grind that the hardcore elite should be used to by now?

e:

Belzac posted:

Even if was actually 0.00001% to get a better than 210 standard piece the existence of it would still put pressure on raiders to get it. It's more than just wanting the best numbers. It's about wanting to provide the best possible experience for the 7 other people you'll be tackling content with and knowing your 5% weaker than you could have been will always sit wrong this demographic.

That's a fair point, but if Vil's point stands as well, then why isn't this being viewed as a way to grind out a few pieces during the odd-patch no-new-raid-content lull?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 12, 2015

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Niton posted:

Isn't the Crafting/Gathering side even more hosed as a grind than the Battle side, too? You need more than a full instances' worth of nodes to even get one V materia's worth of tokens, and you need some ungodly amount of materia to get the DoH/DoL equivalent of Full Best In Slot.

It's not so bad, it's actually pretty reasonable if you didn't have to worry about your party complaining every few minutes that you're not fighting. Honestly, I'd just go in there to fish for awhile if I could solo queue into it.

My primary gripe is that after a few weeks, all the materials except save maybe a few fish will be dirt cheap. There needs to be some more variety or spice in the nodes that spawn, or have it be another avenue to collect Aethersand.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chyea posted:

It's not so bad, it's actually pretty reasonable if you didn't have to worry about your party complaining every few minutes that you're not fighting. Honestly, I'd just go in there to fish for awhile if I could solo queue into it.

My primary gripe is that after a few weeks, all the materials except save maybe a few fish will be dirt cheap. There needs to be some more variety or spice in the nodes that spawn, or have it be another avenue to collect Aethersand.

I'd love it if the mining nodes had stuff that could be Aetherially Reduced. Aside from 1 Steel Spoil and a couple of bronze chests spawning, I haven't found a node that wasn't the same old worthless (on the MB anyway) ores.

Jahin
Jan 19, 2005
Fun Shoe
Something I think a lot of people are forgetting is that they've said in recent live letters that they want to increase the ilvl range the even numbered patches bring to the game, so we're probably not looking at any 20 level jumps anymore. 30 is a likely minimum, and 40 isn't impossible. So, weekly tomestones are probably bringing in 230 gear, and 220 gear will be available through some means (Alex normal 2?) If you consider that, then Diadem gear that with an absurdly good roll can end up around 225 isn't actually as insane and as required for a leg up on the next tier of raiding as some people think it will be. Assuming the theoretical 220 gear is easily attainable.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

If that's the case then Mistbreak gear should be looked at as a slightly positive thing - a way for raiders who already have full i210 to get a shot at some small upgrades. If people were really dropping hundreds of millions of gil on substats then running Diadem a bunch seems like the kind of timesink grind that the hardcore elite should be used to by now?

You just changed your opinion from "well you shouldn't care about the gear" to "well you should want to grind it". You're now suggesting that a truly great progression raider should look at the million hour Diadem grind as a great way to improve their stats for the coming patch and not a grinding time sink where none existed before.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe because the "hardcore elite" aren't the "insufferable poopsocking sperglords" that you imagine them to be.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chyea posted:

A friend of mine and fellow progression raider summed it up pretty well in this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3si3ti/the_problem_with_diadem_gear_for_raiders/cwxhjse

quote:

Also please don't categorize hardcore raiders into NEETs, or no-lifers, or neckbeards, or "poopsock-users" or other slanderous names that make us seem less human. Some of the best people I know are hardcore raiders and they life a healthy, fruitful life outside of FFXIV 99% of their time. They have full time jobs, wives, girlfriends, kids, school. They sit down and get serious for a few weeks for raiding, and then return to a comfortable and healthy life style. This ebb-and-flow has existed in FFXIV since 2.0 - it's casual-friendly even at the highest level, and that's a drat good thing. I love this game. But 3.0 raiding and gearing is traveling down a different path - and alienating the raiders of 2.X in a serious way. I hope the course changes soon, since I and many others feel that this is contrary to the mission statement Yoshida set out with when designing high-level FFXIV content.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
One of the reasons why hardcore raiders rush content is so they can stop raiding and just do their one day clear so they can focus on others stuff. Now it's semi-expected for a raider to grind out poo poo content from now until 2.3 when before for off patches we could just do the relic and chill out. It's a painful inclusion that didn't need to be this way.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

like if /r/ffxiv and this thread and the OF were flooded with people showing off their better-than-Gordian Mistbreak gear then I could see the problem but so far it's just those same MNK pants over and over and over

At this point, I'm pretty sure those pants are a hoax, as well. The substats are way too even compared to any of the great drops i've seen posted here or elsewhere.

All of the great 4 stat chests/legs i've seen tend to look like these:

While the numbers vary, they all look pretty similar - one high stat, two medium stats, and a low stat. Those pants have a High stat way higher than any of these.. and 3 other stats as high as these stats' Highs.

Chyea posted:

Is it? I haven't really been able to gather that much for that very reason, but I guess it's just the small sample size tainting things.

I was actually in a group with you guys earlier - we got a Wisent spawn in basically the worst possible spot, and spent like 20 minutes wiping until a few of us (me, you, a couple of tanks, and one other healer) dragged the adds south so people could actually kill the drat things. As frustrating as it was, it was also a ton of fun!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

quote:

Also please don't categorize hardcore raiders into NEETs, or no-lifers, or neckbeards, or "poopsock-users" or other slanderous names that make us seem less human. Some of the best people I know are hardcore raiders and they life a healthy, fruitful life outside of FFXIV 99% of their time. They have full time jobs, wives, girlfriends, kids, school. They sit down and get serious for a few weeks for raiding, and then return to a comfortable and healthy life style. This ebb-and-flow has existed in FFXIV since 2.0 - it's casual-friendly even at the highest level, and that's a drat good thing. I love this game. But 3.0 raiding and gearing is traveling down a different path - and alienating the raiders of 2.X in a serious way. I hope the course changes soon, since I and many others feel that this is contrary to the mission statement Yoshida set out with when designing high-level FFXIV content.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That's a fair point, but if Vil's point stands as well, then why isn't this being viewed as a way to grind out a few pieces during the odd-patch no-new-raid-content lull?

Because it's so very RNG that "what can realistically be gained" and "what can potentially be gained" are substantially different. Throw in the relative novelty (not seen since pre-50 leveling dungeons where it frankly didn't matter) of aetherial gear's limitation-free secondary stats to compound the issue.

If it were a slow but reliable grind, it would be less of an issue. If it weren't doing itemization balance breaking things with secondaries, it would be less of an issue. It's doing both, so for those who care about being the best of the best of the best, it's an issue.

And for most of the rest of us, we'll just expect not to get anything especially good, and maybe happen on a lucky windfall (but probably not). But the sort of player who can settle for not having the best, is not really the sort of player for whom this is remotely a problem. (Handily, at least, this is only a problem for a minority of the player base, but that doesn't make it cease to be a problem.)

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I have posted in this thread (not this one, the last one) defending Atma. If I'm telling you the RNG is bad, the RNG is bad.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Niton posted:

At this point, I'm pretty sure those pants are a hoax, as well. The substats are way too even compared to any of the great drops i've seen posted here or elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/LaylaFFXIV/status/664701503370829825

But stuff like the BLM bis set I posted is not a hoax. There should be variability but the ceiling is so massive that you don't have to reach it to get very overpowered gear.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.
The problem too is that plenty of progression raiders, even world first ones, probably have some semblance of how much time is too much to spend on Diadem. But if one World First progression group manages to grind out a reasonable set of 210s that break stat caps in crazy ways, everyone else competing has to go the same way. There's no way to mitigate the rng, and it's kind of lovely that people playing at the skill cap can just be rng hosed for maximizing their potential.

Gear balance decisions should always be handled on the high end, because the lower end you go the less the balance (generally) matters. Good roles on this will outperform significantly higher ilevel gear which is a massive oddity compared to standard gear balance.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Niton posted:

I was actually in a group with you guys earlier - we got a Wisent spawn in basically the worst possible spot, and spent like 20 minutes wiping until a few of us (me, you, a couple of tanks, and one other healer) dragged the adds south so people could actually kill the drat things. As frustrating as it was, it was also a ton of fun!

Yes, I remember that. Dinosaur Island kinda lost its luster after having to struggle through lots of events like that. We've been going to the island on the far left on the map with Triceratops and having much more success on it's open fields. I think that's likely the way to go for Normal Mode farming.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vil posted:

Personally it makes me glad I'm too casual to have to worry about such things. I'd hate to feel obligated to farm Diadem nonstop in the hopes of RNG favoring me enough times over the next 3 months.
Ditto.

In addition to the whole 'Layered RNG' thing, there's also the issue that A3S and A4S are wall-bustingly hard and significantly fewer groups have passed them to get the gear locked behind them. It brings the issue of 'why am I doing this thing when I could be doing this other easier/perhaps funner thing and getting similarly-powerful rewards from it' to all those people who haven't passed those encounters yet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Belzac posted:

You just changed your opinion from "well you shouldn't care about the gear" to "well you should want to grind it". You're now suggesting that a truly great progression raider should look at the million hour Diadem grind as a great way to improve their stats for the coming patch and not a grinding time sink where none existed before.

Yes I changed my opinion based on the page and a half of people explaining their reasoning and coming to the realization that there's a valid argument there? But I didn't say you should want to grind it. I said it's a grindy timesink and could be looked at as a slightly positive thing. I'm sure grinding Eso when 3.0 first dropped wasn't a ton of fun either, but it got done as well.
So fix this if I'm wrong but what I'm getting out of this is if the odds of getting a BiS piece are too low then prog raiders will feel obligated to grind Diadem nonstop to get them, but if it's too high then it negates the effort needed for upgraded Eso/Gordian gear? And therefore that kind of gear should be removed entirely?
Not trying to comment on that opinion yet, just trying to make sure I get the argument.

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe because the "hardcore elite" aren't the "insufferable poopsocking sperglords" that you imagine them to be.

It's less "insufferable poopsocking sperglords" and more "people who have shown again and again that they have the time/effort commitment to earn the best gear in the game and clear the hardest content"

If the argument boils down to what I mentioned above, then yeah, I get it. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I'll admit its validity in the context of progression raiding.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 12, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Also it's pretty fuckin rad that there's a place worth calling"Dinosaur Island" and an island with Triceratops on them.. and they're different places. Diadem's mob variety owns, Diadem as a concept owns, breaking the game for the only people who have a need to care about substats does not own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Yes I changed my opinion based on the page and a half of people explaining their reasoning and coming to the realization that there's a valid argument there? But I didn't say you should want to grind it. I said it's a grindy timesink and could be looked at as a slightly positive thing. I'm sure grinding Eso when 3.0 first dropped wasn't a ton of fun either, but it got done as well.

So fix this if I'm wrong but what I'm getting out of this is if the odds of getting a BiS piece are too low then prog raiders will feel obligated to grind Diadem nonstop to get them, but if it's too high then it negates the effort needed for upgraded Eso/Gordian gear? And therefore that kind of gear should be removed entirely?
Not trying to comment on that opinion yet, just trying to make sure I get the argument.

If it's too high, then it definitely does negate the effort. At the same time, most raiders are probably cool with that, maybe some aren't but the majority of raiders A: want to do hard stuff and B: be as prepared as possible for new hard stuff. Anything else is secondary imo.

The problem comes in that most people don't want to feel obligated to grind diadem all the time to be as prepared as they can be. Not only do I have to grind diadem for 210s, I also need to grind it for tokens so I can get the grade V materia I will need for melds later on. You can argue that we can just sit it down and not do it, but I am going to feel bad when I don't want to do HM Diadem for the zillionith time and have to burn my tank who's super super loving pumped to do it

There's nothing wrong with it being good or competitive. But every single piece is insanely loving overpowered if rolled well. It adds up to like 400 substats you're missing out on in gordian/eso gear if I'm not mistaken. I don't want it removed, because it's a great catch up thing, but I think Chyea's recommendations are a little more in line with balance.

• Locked thread