Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

who'd have guessed that the guys who made the Postal series are a bunch of whiny manchildren #whoa #wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mr.Radar posted:

Running With Scissors (the Postal developers) linked the video on their Twitter:

One of the developers (MarphitimusBlackimus) engaged Noah in the YouTube comments:

Edit: highlighted the developer's and Noah's comments to make it easier to read.

What is it with guys who go "heh, did I trigger you, you stupid skeleton :smug:?" but seem genuinely triggered when someone disagrees with them? Seriously, the RWS devs prove Noah's point by throwing a hissy-fit over some mild criticism.

EDIT: Apparently Jim Sterling is being doxxed by Digital Homocide https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/664304961652588544

Equeen fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 12, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

YEah, more and more it seems like the people who champion "PC GONE MAD!" Are the people who can be the most easily "Triggered"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BigRed0427 posted:

YEah, more and more it seems like the people who champion "PC GONE MAD!" Are the people who can be the most easily "Triggered"

It's a very particular brand of hypocrisy that is very prevalent and horribly obnoxious.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mr.Radar posted:

One of the developers (MarphitimusBlackimus) engaged Noah in the YouTube comments:

Edit: highlighted the developer's and Noah's comments to make it easier to read.

I recognize the name MarphitimusBlackimus. He does a lot of videos highlighting obscure FPS games, and various little design quirks from the Half-Life games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jO-P3kXlCI

I wasn't aware that he worked for RWS, or that he...well I think the conversation Mr.Radar posted speaks for itself.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 12, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Speaking of Noah Caldwell-Gervais, I also sat through his video about the CoD Series' single player campaigns. From his video, i kind of wanna play Advance Warfare now.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I don't know who Noah Caldwell-Gervais is so I may come off ignorant, but he is someone a dev company should die on a hill against? I mean what is his subscribe count? he seem like small fry compare to jim sterling and TB let alone any of the front page gamers on YouTube.

although now he got the ire of RWS I am sure his view count will go up because he is getting notice. this is just like Cena Hate, booing him and singing to his song "john cena sucks" is just giving him power. RWS is better off ignoring it and not posting it on twitter making a shity trigger joke.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
But if they ignore him then they can't get super buttmad because someone doesn't like their games oops I mean lay down some sick burns on those dumb SJW's :smug: (Please stop making fun of our games :qq:)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cyron posted:

I don't know who Noah Caldwell-Gervais is so I may come off ignorant, but he is someone a dev company should die on a hill against? I mean what is his subscribe count? he seem like small fry compare to jim sterling and TB let alone any of the front page gamers on YouTube.

Current count is 20K. By comparison, Errant Signal has 75K, Jim Sterling 287K. Noah's closer to Todd and Phelous than anyone who really matters in gaming. Not the smallest of the small fry, but not really meriting the serious honor defending going on there.

Also Brows Held High and Folding Ideas have way too few subscribers for the good stuff they do. :(:

(For reference, the Youtube Celebrities I follow have 10 and 15 million subs.)

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Postal devs are just salty that Hatred stole their worthless thunder. But TBF anyone who makes a 1.5 hour long review video deserves a downvote.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Max Wilco posted:

I recognize the name MarphitimusBlackimus. He does a lot of videos highlighting obscure FPS games, and various little design quirks from the Half-Life games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jO-P3kXlCI

I wasn't aware that he worked for RWS, or that he...well I think the conversation Mr.Radar posted speaks for itself.

I just learned a lot about a weird little youtube channel that I've liked for a while and now I'm feeling pretty depressed.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Postal devs are just salty that Hatred stole their worthless thunder. But TBF anyone who makes a 1.5 hour long review video deserves a downvote.

I, too, am confused and scared by long-form analysis and making a point in more than 140 characters.

But for real, this is exactly why RWS wants to throw a tantrum and sic their "followers" on him. They've quickly faded from any relevancy even within the circle of insufferable manchildren that defend that kind of poo poo, Hatred is boring as gently caress and most people don't even remember it came out this year and even it has more relevancy (and confidence) than the crotchety daring-indie-darling-wannabes that excuse literally one of the worst games ever made as "we were TOO BUSY FUCKIN BABES TO DEVELOP VIDEO GAMES but the writing was on point lol hiv cats mexicans terrorists sexual assault edgy???". RWS really epitomizes that transparently desperate air of smug bullshit you see from people who still try to trumpet regressive status-quo bullshit as "rebellious and righteous" as they mercifully, rightfully fall kicking and screaming into stigmatized irrelevancy.

RWS has too much of an unfulfilled ego to be as coolly anarchic as they think they are. Throwing the weakest possible shade at a dude who would otherwise be irrelevant to even them is a hilarious attempt to seem smugly disconnected while vying for controversy, controversy that will probably benefit Noah way, way more than it could ever benefit RWS.

Hell, it might even prove Noah's point about how controversial sales worked for the first Postal, except this time it's the Postal devs getting offended at someone else and that someone else gets attention for it. The audience is a part of the art, it's like a David Fincher film, but with an internet slapfight between a creepy racist uncle and a budding young writer that just wants to play Fallout 4 and move on with his life.

prahanormal posted:

I just learned a lot about a weird little youtube channel that I've liked for a while and now I'm feeling pretty depressed.

This is probably way too internet detective-y, but I actually know MarphitimusBlackimus from other forums I used to frequent years back. Pretty much everything he posted was trolling or ironic or whatever in some way, which is still a lame excuse for being a shitheel the same way saying "prejudice is satire" does not make it satire, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out he doesn't work at RWS at all and is just seeing how many people agree with his drivel for a larf.

It's still drivel either way, tho.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
RWS really have no one but themselves to blame for their own irrelevancy too. They released nothing AFAIK between 2003 and 2012. When they finally did, it was just a buggy copy-paste Postal sequel. Totally shockingly, nobody cared anymore.

Trying to argue with feminazis or whatever comes off somehow even weaker in that context.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Does RWS even have an audience to help get Noah views anyway? Actually, a better question would be how the hell does an indie game company survive for over a decade when they don't make anything? Or even better, who would care if they did?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

prahanormal posted:

It always sucks when someone's work you like turns out to be a jerk.

Moartoast posted:

This is probably way too internet detective-y, but I actually know MarphitimusBlackimus from other forums I used to frequent years back. Pretty much everything he posted was trolling or ironic or whatever in some way, which is still a lame excuse for being a shitheel the same way saying "prejudice is satire" does not make it satire, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out he doesn't work at RWS at all and is just seeing how many people agree with his drivel for a larf.

It's still drivel either way, tho.
I sort of figured that, because I checked his YT page and Twitter feed, and there's nothing there indicates that he works for RWS.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah I don't always agree with his arguments, but his videos are consistently well-researched and well-stated (if not necessarily flawless from a productions standpoint, although they have gotten much better), and overall he's just a really cool dude. He has a couple of car maintenance and travel vlogs that are pretty good watching too.

Regardless, I watched Noah's Postal video a day or so ago, and I liked it. I've been meaning to watch more of Noah's stuff since I watched the WarCraft and AvP retrospectives Just tonight, I watched his Fallout overview and and I liked that he analyzed the creative approach with each game and the expansions. I'll echo what a couple of other people have said that in that I don't agree with a few of his points here and there, but overall I like his style.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 12, 2015

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I first learned about Postal 2 when I was the shittiest of 13 year old kids and even then I didn't give a gently caress about the actual written jokes. I always figured the cult status of that game was because it was fun to literally piss around a suburban town with weird liquid decal physics, charmingly crappy gibs and wacky AI that flips its poo poo at the drop of a pin, that's certainly the sentiment I'd seen from most people who dig it (including a goon that LP'd it, going in hating it and coming out... being relatively okay with its gameplay), I could never even fathom someone genuinely liking, let alone defending, the abysmal bullshit that's actually written into the game.

Oh how naive I was. I feel like I could probably enjoy that game on a gameplay level even now, but context is everything and man actually looking at that game now shows how woven in the cringey bullshit really is. I'm actually ashamed to have been accidentally gifted that game for one dollar by a steam friend I hadn't talked to in years.

Max Wilco posted:

I sort of figured that, because I checked his YT page and Twitter feed, and there's nothing there indicates that he works for RWS.

And if recent events are any indication, he'd have that plastered everywhere if he did. It's not really surprising, you can kinda tell he has that attitude in his videos as well, he pours a lot of sincerity into his irony and that was actually charming in its own way up until he actively started spewing bile "ironically", which is not okay even if you are sincerely lacking any sincerity.

Basically:

Max Wilco posted:

It always sucks when someone's work you like turns out to be a jerk.

And the fact that this applies to many, many good and beloved artists doesn't make it feel any less lovely when it happens.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

I don't know if it's enough to say definitively that he works there, but I did notice that MarphitimusBlackimus is listed as a featured channel on the official RWS Youtube page. Something to affiliate them at least.

Anyway, loved the video, and now I'm going to have to dig though a bunch of Noah's other stuff. Should make for a nice compliment to Matthewmatosis as another longform, largely retrospective focused channel. Any other critics in that style worth checking out?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Moartoast posted:

I first learned about Postal 2 when I was the shittiest of 13 year old kids and even then I didn't give a gently caress about the actual written jokes. I always figured the cult status of that game was because it was fun to literally piss around a suburban town with weird liquid decal physics, charmingly crappy gibs and wacky AI that flips its poo poo at the drop of a pin, that's certainly the sentiment I'd seen from most people who dig it (including a goon that LP'd it, going in hating it and coming out... being relatively okay with its gameplay), I could never even fathom someone genuinely liking, let alone defending, the abysmal bullshit that's actually written into the game.

Oh how naive I was. I feel like I could probably enjoy that game on a gameplay level even now, but context is everything and man actually looking at that game now shows how woven in the cringey bullshit really is. I'm actually ashamed to have been accidentally gifted that game for one dollar by a steam friend I hadn't talked to in years.

What's funny is that Kim Justice did a video on Postal about a year ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgye8U5xIAc) and after I watched that video, I was tempted to give Postal 2 a try. Now, not so much...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't think it was unreasonable for RWS guy to ask him to at least put a spoiler warning and correct some facts

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FirstAidKite posted:

I didn't think it was unreasonable for RWS guy to ask him to at least put a spoiler warning and correct some facts

Except as pointed out, it's probably just a troll, not somebody who works for RWS, and the biggest "fact" he's asking to change is that they aren't actually making fun of Double Fine in their games. (everything else is just "incorrect" somehow)

And Noah does have a spoiler warning, he straight up says he's gonna show the ending, and explains why he's gonna show the ending, so if you're really, really invested in not knowing the ending to Postal 2's twelve-year-after-the-fact expansion's ending, you have enough time to stop watching before he shows the ending. If you're so tuned out of what he's saying that you don't realize he's gonna play the ending unedited unless you explicitly hear him say "spoiler warning" then you probably weren't actually listening to him anyway.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 13, 2015

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I feel like Noah CG needs to edit his scripts more, because his videos are normally around forty minutes longer than they really need to be, but he's my new loving hero for provoking that level of caremad from RWS.

Especially because RWS games try so hard to push the "we don't care about anything!" angle. :allears:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Except as pointed out, it's probably just a troll, not somebody who works for RWS, and the biggest "fact" he's asking to change is that they aren't actually making fun of Double Fine in their games. (everything else is just "incorrect" somehow)

I love how brazenly they insist that they're not making fun of Double Fine, even though it's as obvious as hell that they are.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I just recently discovered Chris Parsons and was surprised to find he only has 28 subscribers (and that includes me). I've only watched a few of his videos so far, but they all have been pretty good. They're usually talks about more abstract concepts, such as commercial strategies or the idea of sports. If you're a fan of folding ideas, you might like him.

His latest video is a more conventional "Nostalgia Critic" format review of the Addams Family movie. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsY1VGwaTHQ)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

And Noah does have a spoiler warning, he straight up says he's gonna show the ending, and explains why he's gonna show the ending, so if you're really, really invested in not knowing the ending to Portal 2's twelve-year-after-the-fact expansion's ending, you have enough time to stop watching before he shows the ending. If you're so tuned out of what he's saying that you don't realize he's gonna play the ending unedited unless you explicitly hear him say "spoiler warning" then you probably weren't actually listening to him anyway.

Please do not interchange portal with postal

e: and yea I thought it was pretty obvious that it was a troll from the start??

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 12, 2015

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

What's funny is that Kim Justice did a video on Postal about a year ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgye8U5xIAc) and after I watched that video, I was tempted to give Postal 2 a try. Now, not so much...

Heh. Thing with that video is I'd have probably never made it if I'd ended up stumbling across their ethics poo poo.

I think the game's kinda worth playing if you've never done it just because it's so ridiculous in a way that few games are, and there's lots of ridiculous things you can do in it (whether that makes a good game or not...well, yeah). The actual attempts at humour are nearly all ridiculously unfunny.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

IS NC-G left handed? Because in his video game footage I always see prompts to hit the enter key and I'm like "What the gently caress? The enter key?" But then I remember it's close to the arrow keys, which left-handed people often use instead of WASD, so is that what that's about?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of Noah Caldwell-Gervais, I also sat through his video about the CoD Series' single player campaigns. From his video, i kind of wanna play Advance Warfare now.

Yeah, between that video and some of Lazyfire's LPs I kinda want to try some of the later CoD after MW3, which was so disappointing it sort of turned me off of the franchise altogether. But Black Ops 2, which came out in 2012, is still $59.99 on Steam for some reason :psyduck:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, between that video and some of Lazyfire's LPs I kinda want to try some of the later CoD after MW3, which was so disappointing it sort of turned me off of the franchise altogether. But Black Ops 2, which came out in 2012, is still $59.99 on Steam for some reason :psyduck:

Activision is actively hateful of sales and price reduction. Same thing with EA.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr.Radar posted:

Running With Scissors (the Postal developers) linked the video on their Twitter:

Postal devs telling a lot of pissy critics to get hosed, I like it.

I think his first point about Postal being something whose meaning is left up to you sort of says it all, really. The rest I think is him mocking the other commenters, which I approve of.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Postal devs telling a lot of pissy critics to get hosed, I like it.

I think his first point about Postal being something whose meaning is left up to you sort of says it all, really. The rest I think is him mocking the other commenters, which I approve of.

lol the ones who are pissy are the devs. Noah was giving his interpretation on the Postal games, which was, as you mentioned, something everyone who played the games had the freedom to do. Or is that freedom revoked because he said some mean things about Gamergate?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Equeen posted:

lol the ones who are pissy are the devs. Noah was giving his interpretation on the Postal games, which was, as you mentioned, something everyone who played the games had the freedom to do. Or is that freedom revoked because he said some mean things about Gamergate?

look deep into your heart and you will find the answer you seek

because the alternative is looking at his post history

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Alaois posted:

look deep into your heart and you will find the answer you seek

because the alternative is looking at his post history

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I'm a dumb optimist.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think they were both funny

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Equeen posted:

Well someone claiming to be a dev. Which honestly is approaching uncle who works at Nintendo territory if he is posting in youtube comments.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Equeen posted:

I don't even know which Noah this is. Is this the one everyone hates but th y keep watching him anyway?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

I don't even know which Noah this is. Is this the one everyone hates but th y keep watching him anyway?

This Noah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kivtv6wabBk

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
From what little I've seen of his vids, he's really good and I've enjoyed his commentary. But oh my god almost any game in first person makes me really motion sick. I had a to stop a few minutes after he started to talk about Postal 2 because I got a nasty headache and the beginnings of nausea. Same thing happened with his System Shock/ BioShock vid.

I guess I'll just hear the audio :(, videogame motion sickness sucks so much.

Siselmo fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 13, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Equeen posted:

BB is a dickhead that takes the opposite stance because he can.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

No, he's just a gamergater. All he posts about in this thread is about how much he supports GamerGate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jesus's butt, dude, if you aren't even paying attention to the conversation, don't try to join in!

• Locked thread