Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tunahead posted:

Well I hope she's at least an obsessive tato hoarder.

Don't fail me now Bethesda, your wacky accents will only carry me so far!

Tatos seem more like mutated tomatoes to me or some weird rad-induced hybrid. Unless potatoes have mutated so much that they're red and now grow above ground. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

The whole "BoS are the good guys who protect humanity" thing didn't really come to the forefront until Fallout 3. That's why you saw those Brotherhood Outcasts all over the place, because they were still loyal to the original mission to just go around finding tech and not really giving a gently caress about securing the wasteland.

BoS was kinda like this in Fallout 2 and Tactics, but the Tactics one is a seperated group and in Fallout 2 they were weird secret agents with empty buildings in every town

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Least Favourite bit of Bethseda Jank: People strafing faster than they run forward while firing with pinpoint accuracy. This is not unreal goddamnit

Hollenhammer posted:

how girl get pragnent?
they need to do way instain settler

who steal my powerarmor

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Illegal Username posted:

So now i can establish supply lines?

How do i establish supply lines?

This stuff should be put in the OP if it isn't already there.

To assign a settler to a resource / job / trade route or select a bed for them, highlight them while in minecraft mode. You'll see some options underneath like COMMAND, MOVE, and SUPPLY LINE or TRADE ROUTE or whatever.

To assign a job or bed, select COMMAND, then hover over the resource and select ASSIGN.

To get them to move out of a doorway or whatever, select COMMAND, point at where you want them to go, and select GO.

To assign them to a supply route, select SUPPLY ROUTE.

I have not verified it myself, but someone posted earlier that selecting MOVE forces them to move to another settlement.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bholder posted:

BoS was kinda like this in Fallout 2 and Tactics, but the Tactics one is a seperated group and in Fallout 2 they were weird secret agents with empty buildings in every town

Yeah that's what I was getting at, that BoS hasn't really ever been about protecting people other than "keep that pre-war tech away from those idiots." It wasn't until 3 that they really pushed the idea that the Brotherhood were good guys that kill mutants and save people. So if they're assholes that just want technology this time around, that would be very much in line with the original faction.

Illegal Username posted:

who steal my powerarmor

If nothing else you should put those suits in a frame because it looks really creepy when you walk into Concord and there's just this power armor standing there off in the distance.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So, I'm mostly enjoying the gently caress out of this game, but there's one thing that just happened that I've just got to make an angry post about.

Why the gently caress are there quests with unmarked time limits!?

I'm assuming that's what happened. Some random farmer wanted me to save someone in the middle of Boston while I was, you know, pacing myself, only doing stuff in the north. So I put it on the back burner, as I assumed I would be able to.

Shortly after that I started fiddling with settlement supply lines, and so, for the first time in this play-through, using fast travel. A lot of time passes when you fast travel, it seems. So I loaded up a couple autosaves/fast travels ago and made a b-line for the middle of Boston, grumbling all the way. Well, on my way the Brotherhood of Steel just needed my help. There were no "I'm not ready" options on that quest line so... with fail-able time limited quests in mind, I decided to just hurry through with whatever they wanted.

The rescue mission failed in the middle of that quest line and, like an idiot, I didn't think to backup the earlier autosaves so all my saves were in the dungeon I had been crawling through.

So now am I hosed out of ever befriending that random-rear end farmer? Is this a recurring thing, should I avoid accepting quests if I can't do them immediately?

I am disproportionately pissed at this outcome!

Game's awesome otherwise. I haven't gotten far enough in the main plot to know what's what yet (the mystery is creating a pretty cool atmosphere), but it looks like there's a lot of ambiguity and (cartoonish) moral dilemmas so far. People have also been talking about the history of the Commonwealth in ways that make sense for people who grew up there (someone mentioned that things were getting better, and that they were poo poo in "the past" by which he meant a generation ago- not pre-war or anything), which is really neat considering the player character's backstory.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah that's what I was getting at, that BoS hasn't really ever been about protecting people other than "keep that pre-war tech away from those idiots." It wasn't until 3 that they really pushed the idea that the Brotherhood were good guys that kill mutants and save people. So if they're assholes that just want technology this time around, that would be very much in line with the original faction.

The BoS is just the worst. Military "ooh-rah" stereotypes with condescending "gotta keep the good tech from the IDIOT SAVAGES :smuggo:". I'm assuming the Institute is just as hilariously lovely? I just want to join someone who aren't being huge assholes :sigh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't find the town-building to be tedious or overloaded with minutae at all. Fundamentally it's a very simple minigame that happens to have some obtuse elements to it.

Tei posted:

I have trouble with the Brotherhood.

Do they really protect humanity?, they have a agenda and it not include things like fighting bandits. They will fight bandits only if they need to, to fullfill their objectives. All while they will destroy neutral or good factions just because are pockets of high technology.
They seems a problem more than one solution.

I worked for the brotherhood in New Vegas, and my impression from the inside is that are slowed down by bureaucracy, in-fighting and their basic ethical deficit.

In contrast, it seems the Minutemen or the NCR are more a force of Good, even if they look naive or weak just now, they are out there doing the Good Fight. They kill bandits and monsters, protecting citizens, they don't force a political agenda on people.

I have managed to read a brotherhood diary in this game, and this has helped cement this opinion. Its ok to help them, since there is a bigger enemy to human survival in all the monsters and the bigger bandits factions and other big dangers that are a danger to everyone, but they fight for something that don't seems worth fighting, they are misguided.

I am wrong?

The Brotherhood of Steel was always this dubious, it's just that in the Black Isle games there was always some greater threat that gave them a reason to help you out. Their reclaimed power armor and technological superiority has made them somewhat memetic and emblematic of the franchise for a lot of people (something Bethesda's latched onto with aplomb), even though their original policies and attitudes are pretty dickish. The FO3 East Coast branch splintered off due to philosophical differences and were intended to be more of a good-guy faction so I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the moral ambiguity return.

The Minutemen seem like ordinary people banding together for a common good, which was also their downfall. Neat muskets though. If they've got a deeper history than that and their succession dispute I've yet to run into it.

The NCR is also morally dubious, being an aggressive expansionist power, but they're not completely bloodthirsty and can be reasoned with. As of New Vegas their then-current government was dominated by war hawks but whether or not they successfully conquer New Vegas is up to the player.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Eiba posted:

So now am I hosed out of ever befriending that random-rear end farmer? Is this a recurring thing, should I avoid accepting quests if I can't do them immediately?

You're probably fine with quests that are just "go here and get a thing/kill raiders." But if it's something like a rescue mission that kind of implies the NPC could die if you don't rescue them right now, maybe only take those on an immediate basis. Or that's how I always handled it in previous Bethesda games because I don't trust them to make anyone I need actually essential.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I don't find the town-building to be tedious or overloaded with minutae at all. Fundamentally it's a very simple minigame that happens to have some obtuse elements to it.

What I mean is I like the crafting benches but I really don't care for having to manage a whole town's water/food/defense all the time.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 12, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Illegal Username posted:

Least Favourite bit of Bethseda Jank: People strafing faster than they run forward while firing with pinpoint accuracy. This is not unreal goddamnit

they need to do way instain settler

who steal my powerarmor

Why you throw water-chip?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

conversation piece posted:

:wtc: some sort of jet or spacecraft just screamed over my head before crashing a ways off. I had my volume quite high as the game is pretty dynamic, I instinctively ducked and everything on my desk shook.

This happened to me last night, only I was in the middle of the city surrounded by tall buildings so I have no idea where it happened.

Maybe I'll stumble into it one day.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Frankston posted:

This happened to me last night, only I was in the middle of the city surrounded by tall buildings so I have no idea where it happened.

this happened to me too but it was really far away so i lost track of where it landed

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Frankston posted:

Someone else mentioned they saw a UFO crash in their game and that used to be a random encounter in Fallout 3. So maybe it was that?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bholder posted:

Wait, how do you load esps? I thought the launcher doesn't even come with a loader this time.

It doesn't, you have to manually add the .esp filenames to the plugins.txt in Local Appdata. There's instructions on the nexus page.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

is the HP jump from very hard to survival 3x as much? or is survival just 3x hp of the base difficulty.

No idea about HP, this just concerns legendary spawning. actually, I can't seem to find HP scaling anywhere. How odd.

Anyways, have a mod that increases Legendary Spawning to survival level no matter the difficulty.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/218/

and also one that changes the damage calculations for survival difficulty:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/

E: okay I've made like 5 mods just have a link to my profile

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/users/2177762/?tb=mods&pUp=1

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 12, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

What I mean is I like the crafting benches but I really don't care for having to manage a whole town's water/food/defense all the time.

I just sort of put down all of the town essentials and then not worry about it for the rest of the night. It's pretty hands-off and I'm thankful for that.

With radio transmitters calling in new people at a rate of, what, one guy every half hour? I just make sure to make more water sources, plant more food, and make a couple more beds than they immediately need. Also maybe toss a turret somewhere, turrets don't require a hookup to the generators and don't require manually assigning someone to man the defenses. If the population grows to more than the settlement can handle one of the unassigned settlers will just wander off anyway.

When I want to fiddle with stuff I absolutely will, though it's usually a lack of resources that reel me in when I get too ambitious.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I have a kind spoiler question about the minutemen quest finale? Might be the finale. Probably? gently caress if I know.

Under the Castel I found an aggressive robot named "Sarge" next to some locked terminal. Is there a way to keep this guy, or am I supposed to have destroyed him?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I just sort of put down all of the town essentials and then not worry about it for the rest of the night. It's pretty hands-off and I'm thankful for that.

With radio transmitters calling in new people at a rate of, what, one guy every half hour? I just make sure to make more water sources, plant more food, and make a couple more beds than they immediately need. Also maybe toss a turret somewhere, turrets don't require a hookup to the generators and don't require manually assigning someone to man the defenses. If the population grows to more than the settlement can handle one of the unassigned settlers will just wander off anyway.

When I want to fiddle with stuff I absolutely will, though it's usually a lack of resources that reel me in when I get too ambitious.

See, I don't care to do even that much. I just don't really have any interest in building settlements at all and would be fine just having a house to dump my stuff in again, but the game seems to really push this aspect. I would just ignore it, but I don't need the place with all my stuff getting ransacked by raiders either.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Frankston posted:

ShadowMar posted:

this happened to me too but it was really far away so i lost track of where it landed

If you want to find it, activate the radio relay towers in the area and you should get a radio signal to follow.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
There is not non cheat way of respeccing right?

I really feel like speccing for power armor and this baby
https://imgur.com/QIRNTRs

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Daktari posted:

There is not non cheat way of respeccing right?

I really feel like speccing for power armor and this baby
https://imgur.com/QIRNTRs

with console commands, sure! Not sure if removeperk works though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

See, I don't care to do even that much. I just don't really have any interest in building settlements at all and would be fine just having a house to dump my stuff in again, but the game seems to really push this aspect. I would just ignore it, but I don't need the place with all my stuff getting ransacked by raiders either.

Well, you can be that person who hoards everything they own in an abandoned gas station filled with turrets forever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The best Headlamp for Power Armor :allears:.

I'd also like to nth that the Mirelurk Queen boss fight is a bitch and a half. She has a stack of HP and god help you if that acid spray hits you and you don't immediately stimpack or eat something. Molotovs are very satisfying for cooking her baby hoards though. Little anklebiters ruined the legs of my new T-51b Power Armor :argh:.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I just cleared out Dunwich Borers and found some cool poo poo.

Question about that. While i was in there I saw a few things that looked like flashbacks to some cult that used to be there. Is there quest associated with all of this? I went all the way in and got the dagger at the end but I feel like I'm missing something here.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Rahu posted:

I just cleared out Dunwich Borers and found some cool poo poo.

Question about that. While i was in there I saw a few things that looked like flashbacks to some cult that used to be there. Is there quest associated with all of this? I went all the way in and got the dagger at the end but I feel like I'm missing something here.

I don't know if there's a quest for it 4, but it's probably meant as a throwback to the Dunwich Building in Fallout 3 that was basically meant to be a Lovecraft/Necronomicon reference. Point Lookout adds a little bit of background but not much so it's mostly just "huh this is weird."

Soral
May 30, 2009

if it's anything like the dunwich building from fallout 3, then no. it's just there to be spooky, and then in 6 months a piece of dlc with have a sidequest that points you there just to make sure everyone sees the spooky building

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Did everyone make sure to choose HATE NEWSPAPERS?

Also I guess you could take a shot and get pretty drunk every time you thought you were going to say one thing and said something completely different.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

gently caress the lockpicking minigame:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/227/

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Odobenidae posted:

On normal I got three legendary enemies all within ten minutes of each other while doing the same quest, and I'm only level ~15.

Well, might be I'm still considered as a newbie and in tutorial state, will see.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

The lockpicking is already super easy. :confused: But I say this as someone who suffered through Oblivion's horrible minigame that they fortunately trashed for Fallout 3.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just realized something about Nick Valentine. He's a private detective, yet not once has he asked me for money. What is his motivation for following me around?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Is 310 the max carryweight? I don't get any more when I use my power armor.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The hacking minigame is a million times worse IMO, make a mod to fix that TIA

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

The lockpicking is already super easy. :confused: But I say this as someone who suffered through Oblivion's horrible minigame that they fortunately trashed for Fallout 3.

The thing with lockpicking is that if it's super easy it's just a waste of time and if it's hard it's annoying. This cuts down on the time wasted is all :p.

Piell posted:

The hacking minigame is a million times worse IMO, make a mod to fix that TIA

That will be much harder :(

e: yeah that's coded as a quest, meaning we haveta wait until the GECK comes out

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 12, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dezztroy posted:

Is 310 the max carryweight? I don't get any more when I use my power armor.
I think power armor raises your strength to a fixed level rather than giving you a bonus.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Is there an addon or mod that replaces the Xbox buttons on the UI with the Playstation ones? Dark Souls had something like that.

Also, spent like ten minutes figuring out how to make a wire in the workshop mode. Turns out you just press a button on the generator. loving tutorials are awful in this game.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Uh, Sturges, what are you doing with those?

Baron Bifford posted:

I think power armor raises your strength to a fixed level rather than giving you a bonus.

Nevermind, I was just being dumb and not realizing that pocketed armor doesn't work in power armor :v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
unpopular opinion time: curie was better when she was the robot and not the girl who looks just like the robot girl from ex machina (curie-quest spoilers)

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
I need help with an event in the game: I fast-traveled to Red Rocket with Piper. I then heard a sound like something flying overhead and crashing. Piper said something like "You saw that right? Let's check it out". But I didn't actually see whatever it was, only heard it, so I have no idea what I'm looking for or where it is. Didn't trigger any quest either so I can't follow that. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Baron Bifford posted:

I just realized something about Nick Valentine. He's a private detective, yet not once has he asked me for money. What is his motivation for following me around?

You just saved his life, didn't you? :confused:

My high charisma got his secretary to pay me actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
im loving the double barrel shotgun but having 2 bullets kinda sucks, where abouts do I get a single barrel with more ammo? I was reading that the auto shotgun doesnt fall under the shotgun perk (for rifles) and falls under the automatic weapons perk. If that is the case it sucks. Shotgun supremacy

• Locked thread