Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I should've worded that differently I suppose. :shobon: It's still enough of a different engine to differentiate it though, and my main point was as you point out that Gamebryo has nothing to do with why Bethesda games are... well, Bethesda games. The wonky animations, quirky bugs, hilarious glitches and CTD's are all Bethesda.

I wasn't trying to defend Bethesda, by the by. My key point was that game engines are fuckin' hard to make (I've been working on a very basic one for about a year now) and some of the decisions made in very early stages can and will gently caress over devs months or even years down the track.

Maybe it's just one of those things where experience breeds a forgiving attitude, because I'm starting to spot all sorts of poor engine- and code-level decisions in games I play now, and instead of getting mad I just nod solemnly and jot down a mental note to make sure my engine handles that one properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Tunicate posted:

I might be misremebering it, but I think Slowbeef mentioned it when doing his undertale LP, and how while you could hack the engine to increase the FPS to 60 from 30, it'd double everything else's speed as well.
Well, yes, but if you make the game at 60fps to begin with or even just not tie all events to frames to begin with then it wouldn't be an issue.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cheez posted:

Well, yes, but if you make the game at 60fps to begin with or even just not tie all events to frames to begin with then it wouldn't be an issue.

That's a lot easier said than done, especially if you're developing the exact same game for consoles too.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

flatluigi posted:

That's a lot easier said than done, especially if you're developing the exact same game for consoles too.

A friend of mine studied game development some years ago, and he said one of the first, basic principles they taught was "never tie anything to your framerate". It's pretty basic stuff today, and he couldn't really understand why people still do this poo poo either. Maybe it'll help cut some corners on a console where you can test the thing to run at a constant FPS for everyone since everyone has the same hardware (which still doesn't happen since modern console games have plenty of stuttering problems), but on PC it's just asking for trouble.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I have a feeling the devs don't have much say in that at least for 'AAA' stuff. Sounds more like a management/suit/publisher choice. It's going to take too long to make sure it runs at a rock-solid 60FPS just make it run at 30FPS or we'll hire someone else that will thing.
Also FPS clearly means Funs Per Second hence why PC players NEED to have it uncapped, to show those console plebs who has more Fun. :smug:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dropbear posted:

A friend of mine studied game development some years ago, and he said one of the first, basic principles they taught was "never tie anything to your framerate". It's pretty basic stuff today, and he couldn't really understand why people still do this poo poo either. Maybe it'll help cut some corners on a console where you can test the thing to run at a constant FPS for everyone since everyone has the same hardware (which still doesn't happen since modern console games have plenty of stuttering problems), but on PC it's just asking for trouble.

That's a great way to start. Hindsight is a wonderful thing when you aren't crunching toward a deadline. Unfortunately, some engines (like, apparently, the Creation engine) are already in use, and already tie poo poo to the framerate. At that stage there's very little you can meaningfully do, beyond locking the framerate down, saying "this is how it runs, no questions," and praying that your audience is willing to accept that you probably know why you made that decision. Unfortunately, PC gamers are the loving worst at being jaw-droppingly entitled pricks.

There was a goon-made game called Interstellaria- pretty much a space exploration game centered on a single, small primary spaceship and its crew- and on the Steam forums for the game there was a thread for "small suggestions" for quality-of-life improvements and the like. It has a small dev team (I think one person) and the game took quite a long time to reach its current state. Some player helpfully suggested that the dev should add, and I quote:

PC gamers.txt posted:

The ability to build space stations for housing your fleet, crew and community.
The ability to take over planets and terraforming them.
The ability to build a custom space ship from different mass classications from fighter to titan.
The ability to dock smaller ship in bigger ships like titans and motherships.

This was his suggestion for a "small improvement" to the game.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Buckets posted:

http://webmshare.com/4WDy4

An incorporeal elevator causes Dogmeat to fall into the mystery hole.

What's that thing on Dogmeat's back? I know you can put scarves and goggle on him, but is that some sort of backpack?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

SpacePig posted:

What's that thing on Dogmeat's back? I know you can put scarves and goggle on him, but is that some sort of backpack?

Where else is he going to carry my 8 million nuka-cola bottles and clipboards?

Incidentally I refuse to buy another Fallout game until they give me a psychic dog for my Boy And His Dog run.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I can't view the video, but I've heard there's literal dog armor in the game, so it might be that.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

You can put the cap back on, you know. I'd rather have a game that 'looks like poo poo' while running at a smooth 30fps than one that is actually hosed and broken and unplayable (but look at that FPS number when I'm staring at a barren shelf!), but maybe my video gaming priorities are just in the wrong place.

Somfin posted:

At that stage there's very little you can meaningfully do, beyond locking the framerate down, saying "this is how it runs, no questions," and praying that your audience is willing to accept that you probably know why you made that decision. Unfortunately, PC gamers are the loving worst at being jaw-droppingly entitled pricks.

I haven't played a PC game since maybe 1998, and I've never played a fallout game, and you're definitely not wrong, but for $75-$125, the most anticipated PC game of the year should run like the most anticipated PC game of the year. Now their reputation is hurt a little bit, and that might depress sales of this and the next big title a little bit, and thats probably what it all means.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

blarzgh posted:

Now their reputation is hurt a little bit, and that might depress sales of this and the next big title a little bit, and thats probably what it all means.

Nah, Bethesda games already have a reputation of being horribly buggy messes, but they still sell like hotcakes. If anything, the funny glitch videos probably gain them some visibility.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Croccers posted:

I have a feeling the devs don't have much say in that at least for 'AAA' stuff. Sounds more like a management/suit/publisher choice. It's going to take too long to make sure it runs at a rock-solid 60FPS just make it run at 30FPS or we'll hire someone else that will thing.
Also FPS clearly means Funs Per Second hence why PC players NEED to have it uncapped, to show those console plebs who has more Fun. :smug:

I'd rather my game go at 60FPS (or 50+) so that when it does dip and lag it isn't that incredibly jarring.
I don't want to go back to looking at a single moving particle at <10 FPS. I spent WAY too much time doing that.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Nov 12, 2015

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Tunicate posted:

I might be misremebering it, but I think Slowbeef mentioned it when doing his undertale LP, and how while you could hack the engine to increase the FPS to 60 from 30, it'd double everything else's speed as well.

You can set speed to anything in Game Maker but it treats "steps" and frames as synonymous; it runs the game loop every frame. You could make it at 60 to begin with, but if you didn't, rewriting every single script to make your little retro sprite game more suitable to a vocal minority of tech dorks-- and less playable for people with old computers-- is probably not a great use of your time, imo

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

blarzgh posted:

but for $75-$125, the most anticipated PC game of the year

What the hell are you talking about?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You can't play fallout without the giant plastic armband

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't live in america and you missed all the fallout over the international pricing. Because people were loving pissed when it cost a lot more pretty much anywhere but America to buy Fallout 4 and more than other AAA titles on steam for a lot of foreign markets.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Over here I've gotten used to the industry's 1$=1€ policy :sigh:

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

http://imgur.com/ddkrTnr

Was in vault 81 and the overseer went to sit down. She missed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Over here I've gotten used to the industry's 1$=1€ policy :sigh:
Nowdays it's bearable, given that 1 USD is 0.93 EUR.
3 years ago though. :smithicide:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Crossposting from the Imp Zone Fallout 4 thread:

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I just did a quest that gave me and two bad guys the "essential" status for a staged fight, and then once that was over didn't remove the status, so I can never complete the quest since I have to kill the enemies for the second stage of the quest, but I can also never die and having my health dropped to zero causes the game to freeze for half a second before returning me to full health, no rads. Cool.

I actually kinda like it for now, I'm sure at some point I'll get bored of the complete lack of challenge but for now I'm enjoying my character being an immortal avenging death spirit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thats the main reason I buy Bethesda games on PC, a handful of quick console commands and that error would be fixed!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrath posted:

Thats the main reason I buy Bethesda games on PC, a handful of quick console commands and that error would be fixed!

I googled it and apparently the normal console commands to set someone as inessential don't work either lol. Everyone who has it is stuck waiting on a patch.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I googled it and apparently the normal console commands to set someone as inessential don't work either lol. Everyone who has it is stuck waiting on a patch.

:lol: Oh wow okay that is grade A. Guess I'lll make double sure to save before that bit.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arrath posted:

:lol: Oh wow okay that is grade A. Guess I'lll make double sure to save before that bit.

It's the side-quest called "Confidence Man," keep an eye out.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Nuebot posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't live in america and you missed all the fallout over the international pricing. Because people were loving pissed when it cost a lot more pretty much anywhere but America to buy Fallout 4 and more than other AAA titles on steam for a lot of foreign markets.

drat, that sucks.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
People should know at this point to wait at least a month after release before buying a Bethesda game, kind of like not trying to play an MMO expansion on the first day.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
To be fair you could say that about just about every videogame. It's almost never worth buying a thing day 1 and certainly not worth preordering.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

but for $75-$125,

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm guessing he's referring to one of the 873 different flavors of "special editions", which in addition to the DVD which still requires a few GB download, also contain a plastic arm thingy, a soundtrack CD, an 'making of' DVD, a cloth map of Boston, and a granola bar that Todd Howard took a bite out of.

I paid $60 on Steam like 95% of the population, and I feel I'll at least get my money's worth. Yeah, the PC version has glitches, but seriously for a game that huge they did a decent job.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nuebot posted:

I'm guessing he doesn't live in america and you missed all the fallout over the international pricing.
:haw:

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

It's me. I'm the idiot who didn't pre-order right away, and found it to be $80 CDN when I did. I figured it was because the CAD had dropped recently, I didn't even know that was an international thing until now.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Gynovore posted:

I'm guessing he's referring to one of the 873 different flavors of "special editions", which in addition to the DVD which still requires a few GB download, also contain a plastic arm thingy, a soundtrack CD, an 'making of' DVD, a cloth map of Boston, and a granola bar that Todd Howard took a bite out of.

I paid $60 on Steam like 95% of the population, and I feel I'll at least get my money's worth. Yeah, the PC version has glitches, but seriously for a game that huge they did a decent job.

Maybe like 95% of the Americans but it comes out to $112 for Australians which is a full thirty bucks more than what we'd have to pay if it were priced like the American version.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

moist turtleneck posted:

People should know at this point to wait at least a month after release before buying a Bethesda game, kind of like not trying to play an MMO expansion on the first day.

Seriously, but I'd say that the rule with Bethesda games should be to wait at least two or three months for the worst game breaking bugs to be fixed.

And to give time for someone in the community to make a mod which fixes the inevitably piece of poo poo game interface.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Gynovore posted:

You're wrong, also illiterate.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1jGnFt78H8

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I am mystified as to how people considered fallout 4 the most hotly anticipated pc game of 2015.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Testekill posted:

Maybe like 95% of the Americans but it comes out to $112 for Australians which is a full thirty bucks more than what we'd have to pay if it were priced like the American version.

Apparently it cost around $250 for people in brazil which is like $80 american or something. People on the steam forums were getting banned for a while for even bringing it up and trying to discuss it, while the people who would write oh so witty "lol stop being Brazilian and poor" posts wouldn't even get deleted.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Testekill posted:

The hilarious bit is that the PC version was going for $59 AUD in retail stores (Target etc), people were happily paying nearly double for the privilege of not getting a box with the game. :psyduck:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Lord Lambeth posted:

I am mystified as to how people considered fallout 4 the most hotly anticipated pc game of 2015.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas were fun games. Not really a stretch of the ol' noodle, there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's insanely popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Pro-click