Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The base game of Destiny shouldn't even be on sale any more, that SKU was retired and replaced with the Legendary Edition.

If you buy the 2014 release the first thing it will do on launch is download literally 20GB of patches and then be full of locked content icons for the 3 expansions it doesn't include.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont think you can buy the base game digitally anymore but im sure his local gamestop has plenty they would love to sell him with a smile

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What are some good cheap PS4 games I can buy? Like games that were released awhile ago but float for $20 and below?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

You'd like need to buy physical or go second hand but if you don't mind that then my list would be:

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (or whatever they called it) is excellent.
Sleeping Dogs is probably easily found at that price and if you've not played it before it's good.
Infamous Second Son is great but short.
And my unpopular opinion is that Watch Dogs is fun. I share this opinion with nearly nobody.

Also Life Is Strange is $20 from PSN and if you like that sort of thing it's great. Well, four fifths of it is great.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

shmee posted:

And my unpopular opinion is that Watch Dogs is fun. I share this opinion with nearly nobody.

Watchdogs isn't great but it's not awful either. It just didn't live up to the hype at all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

What are some good cheap PS4 games I can buy? Like games that were released awhile ago but float for $20 and below?

Tombraider is always like 10 bucks and knack used is less than that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

haveblue posted:

The base game of Destiny shouldn't even be on sale any more, that SKU was retired and replaced with the Legendary Edition.

If you buy the 2014 release the first thing it will do on launch is download literally 20GB of patches and then be full of locked content icons for the 3 expansions it doesn't include.
It does that even with Legendary Edition. Pretty sure the disc is just plain ol' Destiny then downloads the rest.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Watchdogs isn't great but it's not awful either. It just didn't live up to the hype at all.

I think a lot of it is down to how you approach it. If you just throw yourself into the story missions and especially anything which involves escaping the cops without levelling up, it's just not fun. Unlock all the CtOS towers first and get used to the controls and driving, doing a few missions during this, and then focus on the story and it's a much more enjoyable experience.

Although it took me like 10 hours until I found someone listening to that Squarepusher song I wanted to unlock (and of course it was an old woman, grannies love EDM).

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Knack looks really horrible, I played it at a friends house with him it was bad.

Can someone just tell me if Sleeping Dogs and FFX are worth getting again if I already own them on PS3? They're two of my fave games but I'd want something more than "better graphics" if I'd be buying them again

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Austrian mook posted:

Knack looks really horrible, I played it at a friends house with him it was bad.

Can someone just tell me if Sleeping Dogs and FFX are worth getting again if I already own them on PS3? They're two of my fave games but I'd want something more than "better graphics" if I'd be buying them again

sleeping dogs performs better on last gen systems it is considered a rushed/bad port on next gen

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

shmee posted:

I think a lot of it is down to how you approach it. If you just throw yourself into the story missions and especially anything which involves escaping the cops without levelling up, it's just not fun. Unlock all the CtOS towers first and get used to the controls and driving, doing a few missions during this, and then focus on the story and it's a much more enjoyable experience.

Although it took me like 10 hours until I found someone listening to that Squarepusher song I wanted to unlock (and of course it was an old woman, grannies love EDM).
It also helps if you just laugh at Aidan for how loving incompetent he is. It's outstanding how stupid his plans are :allears:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Real hurthling! posted:

sleeping dogs performs better on last gen systems it is considered a rushed/bad port on next gen

Awww, that sucks. I was kind of looking forward to seeing that game in 1080P. Driving around at night in the rain in that game was some of the best open world gaming I've ever experienced.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i have sleeping dogs and like every dlc ever on steam, same witht he tomb lagoon

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Croccers posted:

It also helps if you just laugh at Aidan for how loving incompetent he is. It's outstanding how stupid his plans are :allears:

He's a lovable dumbass. Well not that lovable but look how happy he is when high:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNCuWgsxzOg

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

i have sleeping dogs and like every dlc ever on steam, same witht he tomb lagoon

If you like Assassin's Creed, Unity is less than $20 and they patched it so the glitches are 99% gone, the frame rate is good, and it doesn't give you cancer.

The city is absolutely beautiful, but the story is subpar and doesn't even use three of the districts. It's still worth it just to run around and explore if you're a fan of the series and that aspect of the gameplay, but once again the story is half baked (at best) and the ending is bad. The interaction between the two main characters was good, though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Assassins Creed is the biggest tragedy in the gaming industry, IMO. I absolutely loving adore the idea of having a historically set open world style game but everything else about the series has viciously pushed me away and it's inexplicable popularity has meant that there's no way anyone else gets a shot at making something better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you want a cheap assassin's creed game, buy black flag

I bet far cry 4 is really cheap by now as well

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Heavily considering picking up a PS4 this Black Friday. Have a few questions for internet strangers I trust:

1. Is 500 GB enough for the system? My friends have bones, and they hit the limit often because entire games have to be downloaded.
2. Does a new system include a trial for PS Plus out of the box?
3. What exclusives do you have an eye for? I didn't have a PS3, so rereleases are A-OK with me.
4. Is EDF 4.1 a straight port of 2025, or is there additional content?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Austrian mook posted:

Assassins Creed is the biggest tragedy in the gaming industry, IMO. I absolutely loving adore the idea of having a historically set open world style game but everything else about the series has viciously pushed me away and it's inexplicable popularity has meant that there's no way anyone else gets a shot at making something better.
One of my friends is playing the series for the first time right now, starting with the first. Since she's in it for the historical and cultural aspect same as I was, I'm tempted to tell her just to stop after the first game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

Heavily considering picking up a PS4 this Black Friday. Have a few questions for internet strangers I trust:

1. Is 500 GB enough for the system? My friends have bones, and they hit the limit often because entire games have to be downloaded.
3. What exclusives do you have an eye for? I didn't have a PS3, so rereleases are A-OK with me.

pretty sure new systems come with trial memberships, yeah. you should just buy a year of ps+ as soon as you can tho because it's worth it. I've not run into the 500gb limit yet, but that's just because I try to keep on top of things I'm sure I won't play again. it is kind of a problem but you don't have to upgrade unless you have a bunch of games you want on the system at all times. probably will need to eventually tho since games'll just keep getting bigger.

bloodborne, the last of us, the uncharted collection, until dawn, and journey are some cool ps4 exclusives that I can name off the top of my head. there are a ton coming out within the next year or so

idk anything about edf post like 2

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk anything about edf post like 2
4 is a remake of 2 in the same way 3 was a remake of 1.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Given that it's Black Friday anyhow, it might not be a bad idea to pick up a higher-capacity drive just to have kicking around if you don't want to install it right away. A 2TB drive should be around $100 now, right?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

Just grabbed the uncharted bundle yesterday, and set it up today. The new system does come with a free 14 day trial of PS plus.

As for grabbing one on BF, most places will have the Uncharted bundle with all three games for $299.

Also, Wallmart's Black Friday ad just leaked, and you can get a year of PSN now for $40 bucks. (4 three month cards for $10 a pop) also a bunch of solid games at the box stores will be pretty cheap that day.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
If anyone is curious, and I know we talked about headsets a while back, the Gold headset is worth every penny over the silver headset. The headband seems stronger, the ear cups go over your ears instead of on your ears, and it sounds great with decent battery life. I haven't tested the turtle beach or other 3rd party sets but if you want something in between hundreds of dollars and the vita earbuds, Gold is it. Don't waste your time on the silvers.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you want a cheap assassin's creed game, buy black flag

I bet far cry 4 is really cheap by now as well

Black Flag is my favorite game in the series by far. The ship battles are awesome, especially in stormy weather.

FC4 is decent, but I've just been playing it a few missions at a time while exploring and doing side quests for a week or so, then putting it down and playing something else. After about a year, I'm almost done with it. It's a very pretty game.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Assassin's Creed is honestly one of the most boring games I've played and I kinda enjoy CoD. I managed to get AW and Ghosts from a goon for $15. I got Borderlands Handsome poo poo for $25 and I'm just looking for more stuff.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Someone asked whether FFX is worth getting on PS4 if you already have the PS3 version and the answer is very emphatically no. Here's the Eurogamer/DigitalFoundry face-off. The short version is they look and run more or less identically, only differences being ambient occlusion, as well as anti-aliasing + a consistent 30fps at 1080p on the PS4 version (PS3 did constant 30fps and AA at 720p, but occasionally had framerate dips and turned AA off at 1080p).

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Hey guys,

I just replaced the thumb sticks in my DS4, however I am not sure what I've done now, as I can power up the PS4 via the controller however when I get to the account selection screen, no buttons work and if I hit the PS button it just boots me back to the press PS button to continue. If I hit the PS button again it briefly flashes up the account screen then drops back to the press PS button to continue screen.

The light bar lights up briefly and then either goes orange or blue for a second then turns off.

I've tried reseating the cables a number of times but it persists.

Any ideas? Have I broken my controller and should I just buy another one?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Instant Grat posted:

Someone asked whether FFX is worth getting on PS4 if you already have the PS3 version and the answer is very emphatically no. Here's the Eurogamer/DigitalFoundry face-off. The short version is they look and run more or less identically, only differences being ambient occlusion, as well as anti-aliasing + a consistent 30fps at 1080p on the PS4 version (PS3 did constant 30fps and AA at 720p, but occasionally had framerate dips and turned AA off at 1080p).

Ah, I'll just keep my ps3 version in that case. Is the new Final Fantasy looking good? I kind of wish they'd just stop trying to re-invent the wheel and make something with the SNES gameplay, you know what I'm talking about? That said FFX is one of my favorite games of all time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The demo of FF XV was pretty fun and I'm optimistic about the finished game.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the truth posted:

Black Flag is my favorite game in the series by far. The ship battles are awesome, especially in stormy weather.
It's proof that Ubisoft hate money, because if they released 'Black Flag: just the piracy & freeroaming no story bullshit edition' they would get roughly all the money, most of it from me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Bethesda has worked hard to make companions in FO4 more of an asset and less of a liability but it's still like 1:3 asset to liability. How are they still so bad at this?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The demo of FF XV was pretty fun and I'm optimistic about the finished game.
I'm confused as to why the devs are constantly justifying/overexplaining their every single decision as of late. Or at least it feels like it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

HGH posted:

I'm confused as to why the devs are constantly justifying/overexplaining their every single decision as of late. Or at least it feels like it.

They're trying to be transparent, both as a continuation of their transparency in the wake XIV 1.0's failure and as a response to what happened with Versus XIII, I think.

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 12, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What I don't get is why players have been so harsh with SE as of late. Final Fantasy 13 came out nearly SIX years ago (with Lightning Returns being almost two years old as of now), and people are still citing it as everything wrong with SE and FF, ignoring how good FFXIV is right now and how solid FFXV:ED is, especially for a demo. On top of that, World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Explorers both look so interesting and endearing that I can't figure out why everyone is still so hateful. Hell, people are still angry about Advent Children.

It's no wonder why SE wants to be so open about everything, because they've constantly had to explain themselves to the fanbase for years.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Why should we trust SE? They've made so many FF games, and they're all the worst game in the series.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish you could download other people's Vault Dwellers for the Sims Building Mode

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

What I don't get is why players have been so harsh with SE as of late. Final Fantasy 13 came out nearly SIX years ago (with Lightning Returns being almost two years old as of now), and people are still citing it as everything wrong with SE and FF, ignoring how good FFXIV is right now and how solid FFXV:ED is, especially for a demo. On top of that, World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Explorers both look so interesting and endearing that I can't figure out why everyone is still so hateful. Hell, people are still angry about Advent Children.

It's no wonder why SE wants to be so open about everything, because they've constantly had to explain themselves to the fanbase for years.

You're really simplifying and overlooking a lot in order to feign confusion there.

People really didn't like XIII and while yes that was a while ago, they also haven't exactly done all that much since then but come out with sequels to XIII. Yes the MMO might be good now, but most people aren't really interested in an MMO so they're not really putting that into the equation and if they are they might remember that when the MMO actually launched it was loving horrible to the point that they had to pull it to get their poo poo together. XV seems cool but most people won't have played the demo because you have to by yet another mediocre FF game to play it. Also you have to remember that XV has literally been delayed longer than the Last Guardian, and was supposed to come out last gen as yet another spinoff of FFXIII. The other two games you mentioned have very little info about them right now and certainly aren't enough to excite anyone that's was underwhelmed by SE's entire 1st party output last gen. I mean you're confused why people are skeptical of a company that's only good releases since last gen were an MMO it took them years to fix and some games from a company they acquired in the meantime. They just haven't really done anything to justify trusting them right now. It's really not that hard to figure out.

Also Advent Children was god damned horrid.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

axle is right. There's also the fact that Tetsuya Nomura somehow continues to be their golden boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Also a lot of people who liked the earlier games grew out of dumb anime stuff but still have nostalgia for the earlier ones.

• Locked thread