Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

Fun fact: I would test RPG systems by seeing how closely they could model Atomic Robo as a character. HoL was the first one to produce an acceptable version. I never found another until the Fate iteration of Kerberos Club.

And that's why the Robo RPG is a Fate Core product.

I will admit I'm kinda disturbed by the idea of you going through the flowcharts in Buttery Wholesomeness to see if you could make Robo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyperactive posted:

Fun fact: I would test RPG systems by seeing how closely they could model Atomic Robo as a character. HoL was the first one to produce an acceptable version. I never found another until the Fate iteration of Kerberos Club.

And that's why the Robo RPG is a Fate Core product.

Well then, I have to know what Robo's Nuts score is.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

A.o.D. posted:

Well then, I have to know what Robo's Nuts score is.

The kind that go on bolts.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Today's panel is pretty phenomenal without context. It's still good in context of course, but it stands alone so splendidly.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

rantmo posted:

Today's panel is pretty phenomenal without context. It's still good in context of course, but it stands alone so splendidly.

Yeah, please please tell me that we're going to learn more about Sergi during the Cold War spy story arc.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, please please tell me that we're going to learn more about Sergi during the Cold War spy story arc.
Unless there is a massive change in plan once we get to it, which is always a possibility, yes, definitely.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

People might be interested to know that the Atomic Robo RPG is part of a special RPG bundle deal as part of the beat-the-average threshold.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Forgive me if its been posted but page one mentions a secret Nazi space program in the 60s is that this current Nazi space program?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

Forgive me if its been posted but page one mentions a secret Nazi space program in the 60s is that this current Nazi space program?
Well, it was in the '40s. But no one knew the project existed, or that it had managed to successively place a kinetic bombardment satellite into orbit until someone re-established contact with it twenty years later to hold the world hostage.

That's the satellite Robo is talking about in the current story line.

So. Why didn't the Nazis use it? How did someone even know to look for it? Why would Robo leave it up there? Guess we'll find out one of these days. Volume 12 or 13 at the earliest, but could be 14+.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm going to aim for a thanksgiving rpg one shot of Atomic Robo. I've only played Fate once and noone else has even done that much how good an idea is this?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Len posted:

I'm going to aim for a thanksgiving rpg one shot of Atomic Robo. I've only played Fate once and noone else has even done that much how good an idea is this?
A pretty good idea. AR/Fate are pretty forgiving for new players. The main thing is to remember that everything should be one of the Four Actions, and don't be afraid to compel aspects so people get Fate points.

We have a Fate thread that's kinda quiet, but you can stuff ask there too.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The station's a big rail gun right? Shouldn't there be a power source Robo could tap into to extend his operational window while up there?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

8one6 posted:

The station's a big rail gun right? Shouldn't there be a power source Robo could tap into to extend his operational window while up there?

A "traditional" design for a kinetic harpoon has no firing mechanism. You let gravity, momentum, and re-entry do all the work for you, and the projectile itself is basically a tungsten fence post. All you need is a mechanism to tell it when to drop.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Odds seem high that the eventual solution will be to drop the whole station on that thing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wanderer posted:

A "traditional" design for a kinetic harpoon has no firing mechanism. You let gravity, momentum, and re-entry do all the work for you, and the projectile itself is basically a tungsten fence post. All you need is a mechanism to tell it when to drop.

Yes, but only if you want to be at the mercy of orbital mechanics. If you don't want to wait around for a precise launch window, you put a firing and guidance system in.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

wiegieman posted:

Yes, but only if you want to be at the mercy of orbital mechanics. If you don't want to wait around for a precise launch window, you put a firing and guidance system in.
I'm not sure if there is! Our characters are certainly presuming that there is not since they have to plan for the worst case scenario.

Even if there is a useable power source on board, they don't have the time to track it down and to jury rig a hook up. At least not as long as there's giant monsters stomping around on the surface.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm sure the Nazi bastards had Tokyo pre-programmed as a target anyway.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
The "german" language captions on this space station would make my teachers cry.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Discount Trombones posted:

The "german" language captions on this space station would make my teachers cry.
Didn't notice the typos until they went live. But they will be correct in the trade. And on the website at some point before that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hyperactive posted:

Didn't notice the typos until they went live. But they will be correct in the trade. And on the website at some point before that.

no don't change it

ACHTUNG
LASEREN

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hahaha, that's excellent. You should leave it as is man.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You really should, nothing says pulp like pseudo German plastered every where.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's not really Germans. It's Venusians pretending to be Germans!

There is one thing that is bothering me, though. Why is there so much weathering and rust on something that has been in a vaccuum for the past 70 years?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

A.o.D. posted:

There is one thing that is bothering me, though. Why is there so much weathering and rust on something that has been in a vaccuum for the past 70 years?

Shoddy Nazi workmanship. I bet Ferdinand Porsche built it.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

A.o.D. posted:

I read it more as dust than rust. Probably shouldn't have used such strong differences in color between the metal of the satellite and those patches, but you gotta pick your battles in the war against deadlines.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
How is Robo talking? No air means no medium to have sound waves.

(I'm just nitpicking out of love)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

How is Robo talking? No air means no medium to have sound waves.

(I'm just nitpicking out of love)

I don't think Atomic Robo has ever used thought bubbles, have they? Robo just talks to himself a lot. Usually it's out loud, but here I assumed he's 'talking' (either to himself or his crew) with radio or the superscience equivalent.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Bobulus posted:

I don't think Atomic Robo has ever used thought bubbles, have they? Robo just talks to himself a lot. Usually it's out loud, but here I assumed he's 'talking' (either to himself or his crew) with radio or the superscience equivalent.
Yuuuuuuuup.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hilariously, usually people use jagged edges to the speech bubble to indicate it's a radio transmission (as if the sound is a little choppy), but that can't be used in AR because Robo always has jagged edges. Because his voice is mechanically produced.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
As someone who doesn't speak German, what's the typo?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

As someone who doesn't speak German, what's the typo?
Stermwaffen should be Sternwaffen. This was likely an honest wrong keystroke on the part of the letterer and we never caught it.

Steuern is the noun form which is "tax" as opposed to steuer which would be "control" or "steer.". That one is 100% my fault.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'd like to put in a request for a tshirt with the "We're all being exposed to a normal and harmless background level of the deadly radiations!" panel on it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Well, there's a name I didn't think we'd see again.

Seriously. The WORST plan, here.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

J.A.B.C. posted:

Well, there's a name I didn't think we'd see again.

Seriously. The WORST plan, here.
Worryingly, it looks like someone's been there recently, judging by the notebook computer on the desk next to it.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Discount Trombones posted:

Worryingly, it looks like someone's been there recently, judging by the notebook computer on the desk next to it.
The last time we saw Hashima Island a lot of folks were vying for jurisdiction. I think it's safe to assume, given the unparalleled breadth of ULTRA's actions in the current volume, they probably won that bureaucratic battle.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Not going to lie, I did not expect it to be that easy to fire the rods.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'd like to point out how really cool Robo's new hands are, they look like they'd give him a lot more human-like range of motion, although I'm not sure how good they'd be at being usable fists. Good thing we're about to find out!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Patrick Spens posted:

Not going to lie, I did not expect it to be that easy to fire the rods.
Fun Fact: the more technologically difficult a task, the more likely it will work out fine* in an Atomic Robo story.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I'd like to point out how really cool Robo's new hands are, they look like they'd give him a lot more human-like range of motion, although I'm not sure how good they'd be at being usable fists. Good thing we're about to find out!
We're quite fond of this take on Robo's design, but it's not the end state of his new 21st century body. Scott will certainly incorporate parts of it into the next version though.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Hyperactive posted:

Fun Fact: the more technologically difficult a task, the more likely it will work out fine* in an Atomic Robo story.

I didn't think it would be complicated to do, I thought he would get mugged by skullbot before he could press the button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Patrick Spens posted:

I didn't think it would be complicated to do, I thought he would get mugged by skullbot before he could press the button.

My money was on Robo venting the waste tanks or something instead of dropping the kinetic payload.

• Locked thread