Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Adhesives for everything gets old fast.

I've already bought out the Commonwealth's supply of duct tape.

Make Vegetable Starch. 5 Adhesive for every batch you cook and you grow everything you need for it in your base. Gives a use for that vegetable patch beyond making more vegetable patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

my fat goon man in the wastes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fans posted:

Make Vegetable Starch. 5 Adhesive for every batch you cook and you grow everything you need for it in your base. Gives a use for that vegetable patch beyond making more vegetable patches.

My god, I wondered what that recipe was for.

Gunsmithing has just reached a whole new level.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

I don't understand how people even get close to running out of crafting materials (also ammo). The game throws enough at you that you can easily keep the guns you actively use fully upgraded.

The main bottleneck is usually adhesive, since that's used for pretty much every single thing you can craft and can't be scrapped out of existing items.

Though fortunately that became less of a problem once I just sat down planted a shitload of corn, mutfruit and tatos at the castle, so that I can just craft those into adhesive vegetable starch at the cooking station whenever I drop by. Takes a bit of legwork to get the initial pieces for seeding it, but once the farm's up and running you can get a steady supply going.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there any way to make Protectrons friendly? I had some subway tokens and turned one to subway patrol and couldn't figure out how to give him my token before he went aggro. I also tried the medbot version but that guy just uses lightning bolts to kill me as soon as he sees me.. :(

Also where can I find Mutfruit that I'm able to plant? The wild stuff doesn't seem to be propagatable.

Al! posted:

The dj owns and I am sorry for you if you cannot see this
Who is the DJ and who's he impersonating? He occasionally sounds almost like Mike Birbiglia but mostly it's his vocal mannerisms and the way he trails off on things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really not a fan of this game's quest design. So far, it looks like they just sort of took the Skyrim philosophy: a quest has a specific path you're definitely going to take, and any opportunity to roleplay during it will affect little more than dialog and how quickly a dialog scene turns into a fight. And maybe how many caps you get at the end.

This was really glaring during a quest involving Cooke, the bartender at Diamond City. So I accompany the guy whose wife is sleeping with Cooke to go confront him, thinking this'll probably be a huge debacle but I can at least try to make sure it doesn't end with the guy getting killed. Luckily I'm allowed to succeed at that. But then Cooke offers a way to make some money to make it up to the guy: ambush a drug deal, murder everyone, take the chems and caps. At no point is my character allowed to say, "Yeah, I'm not really into this, see you guys later." In fact, when I tried to choose the only option that wasn't "I'm super into this!", it ended up with my character saying "I'm just going to kill you and go ambush the deal myself!" like a cackling villain. I was pretty much forced to go through with it and agree to it at that point.

That's not the only quest that's been like that so far, and to be honest it was what I expected from Bethesda. It's just so goddamn frustrating. Bethesda would be the railroading-est DMs ever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus christ, when Dogmeat goes for the throat in a kill animation. :stonk:

Also, does quick travel in power armour drain your fusion cores? Hell, can you even quick travel in it? My original core died out and I've not had luck finding anything else, so the armour's basically a giant pink paper weight at the moment.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 12, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

While I'm thinking about the topic, is Scrapper worth a perk slot?

I realize there's no level cap so you can get it eventually if you were sufficiently crazy but right now I've got priorities to weigh.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The writing in this game sucks.

Even when you do get the opportunity to mention it, you get exactly two lines of dialogue: "Woah! So that's really possible! Cool/weird/lovely/gross!" and "Anyway, as I was saying".

edit: I'm agreeing with the guy who said NV/FO3's weapon mod system was better, gently caress the resource micromanagement, it's annoying. Hope you like hunting for loving glue until the end of days.

I think the writing is a few notches above the writing in Fallout 3 at least. I mean, I just helped out the second settlement and the dialog I had with the people there, the raider's computer terminal all made for pretty riveting story telling. Not exactly as riveting as New Vegas, but I was at least fairly impressed. It is a thing with Bethesda games that sidequests are often better than main quests anyway.

Also, I really like the resource management, but I feel like they didn't take it far enough: There is really no need for bottlecaps to be a currency here, they should have gone all the way and made the main method exchange the barter system where you trade items for equal value, so instead of offering merchants 1000 bottlecaps for a gun, you offer them 100 steel from your village and they send a trader to get the resources from your settlement.

Maybe that can be modded in instead, since I think it'd be really rough on those of you that hate this stuff, but I find it immerses me quite a bit more.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I keep hearing about vegetable starch but I can't find the recipe in any of my crafting stations. It's supposed to be in the cooking station, right?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Jesus christ, when Dogmeat goes for the throat in a kill animation. :stonk:

Also, does quick travel in power armour drain your fusion cores? Hell, can you even quick travel in it? My original core died out and I've not had luck finding anything else, so the armour's basically a giant pink paper weight at the moment.

There's one in the cave beneath the Red Rocket station if you only had the one from the start. If you've used both of those, there's a satellite dish if you follow the road east. You should check in there. It's perfectly safe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Remora posted:

I keep hearing about vegetable starch but I can't find the recipe in any of my crafting stations. It's supposed to be in the cooking station, right?

Cooking, utility.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

T.G. Xarbala posted:

My god, I wondered what that recipe was for.

Gunsmithing has just reached a whole new level.

If you're short on Oil, another tricky one, the Cutting Fluid in the Chem lab gives that though that's not as easy to get the bits for. Collect acid and bones out in the wastes!

Remora posted:

Yes it's in the cooking station in a category of its own. The last one if I remember right.

coyo7e posted:

Also where can I find Mutfruit that I'm able to plant? The wild stuff doesn't seem to be propagatable.

I can't recall any specific place, but I got them either from an established Farm or a Raider hideout. Once you got one you can just keep growing them, maybe try Diamond City they seem to have everything.

Fans fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 12, 2015

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

coyo7e posted:

Yeah would like to know this too. I only found melons and tatos around, so that's all my settlers can eat right now. Is there a source of corn and mutfruit near Sanctuary?

Also how do I get radioactive material? I want to build some sights for my guns but I only have 1 radioactive material from scrapping a pre-war board game :v:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The thing about bartering is that it's an even more primitive form of exchange than money, and at least caps let you track wealth and worth without having to measure it in stacks of Tatos.

You absolutely can do a de facto bartering exchange, just with caps added on at the end to take care of spare change. In fact, I wager most people treat merchants and shops as essentially bartering points anyway.

Remora posted:

It's in the cooking station's Utility tab.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hooray, level 20 and I still haven't even been to Diamond City! I got near Boston itself once or twice and the sheer volume of markers that popped up as I approached it intimidated me greatly. I'll probably go there and continue the plot... Eventually.

Edit: Also I just now had my first crash. I don't know if it's related but it crashed when, after leaving Vault 111 with Cryolator finally in hands, I decided to test it on a passing ad-spewing eyebot. Somehow it caused the bot to fly off at relativistic speeds upon death, at which point my game crashed. Bethesda.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 12, 2015

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

In case anyone else is hopelessly looking for Dogmeat, here's a way to teleport him to you:

Open the console, type "prid 1d162" and then type "moveto player".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fans posted:

I can't recall any specific place, but I got them either from an established Farm or a Raider hideout. Once you got one you can just keep growing them, maybe try Diamond City they seem to have everything.

Yeah, as far as mutfruit goes I got lucky finding some at a store. Then I found one of the other settlements already had some growing. I think Greentop Nursery to the far east of Sanctuary has a greenhouse full of mutfruit trees. I think they're the ones who give the quest to empty out Dunwich Borers, too.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

quadrophrenic posted:

well now I'm just getting a whole lot of "Unable to apply optimal settings" From GeForce experience and it's telling my optimal settings are way way way way below what the game autodetected for me at install

should I just drop my settings or resort to playing in fullscreen or what? I have a 4GB 960, the game autodetected Ultra settings, did it gently caress up

argh sorry to turn this into tech support thread but this is way too much hassle to solve this otherwise game-breaking bug

just ignore Geforce experience, that thing is a pile of poo poo and i hate it with a passion, firs you need to go into your Nvidida control panel, navigate to the manage 3D settings tab and look under Gobal settings for DSR- Factors
click a bunch like 2.0x 3.0x and 4.0x , then hit apply, your screen will flicker for a little then come good, then you can go back to your fallout setting and you should have the larger resolution's to select, btw whats the hardware your running on?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah, as far as mutfruit goes I got lucky finding some at a store. Then I found one of the other settlements already had some growing. I think Greentop Nursery to the far east of Sanctuary has a greenhouse full of mutfruit trees. I think they're the ones who give the quest to empty out Dunwich Borers, too.

Diamond city also has a large farm with mutfruit and tatos towards the back that you can freely harvest. The one that was the most trouble for me to find was corn, actually. Had to manually grow my current stock starting with just a single one.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

coyo7e posted:

Graygarden (number 13 on the map) has a bunch of both Mutfruit and Corn growing, so it's an easy way to get all the ingredients you need for vegetable starch.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

everyone playing fallout 3 "eww all this green overlay is horrible, here are a hundred mods to get rid of it"

people playing fallout 4 "eww no green overlay? just more game dumbing down! heres a mod to fix it and bring back the great atmosphere of fallout 3! http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/140/ "

Anyone who doesn't get this mod isn't playing right.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/205/

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Grey Garden has all your veggie needs, more or less a direct line south from Sanctuary.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Archonex posted:

A poster many pages back mentioned that his armor actually was stolen. Presumably by raiders or something.

So i'm going with no. Put it somewhere safe.

If this is a thing that really happens, I wonder if just taking the Fusion Core out and carrying it with you could prevent that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ModeSix posted:

Anyone who doesn't get this mod isn't playing right.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/205/

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking I had an unreasonably clicky dog.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a perk or something to increase VATS headshot accuracy for PISTOLS? I saw there was one for sniper rifles, or maybe for all rifles, but can't see anything for pistols.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Someone was asking if there is any way to steal enemy's PA.

Actually there is. You sneak to them. Pickpocket. Take their Power Core out.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There is some sort of bug with the item you hot key to 1 I think.

Last night I was doing stuff at work benches at Red Rocket Garage, saved my game, and moved on into the waste. A short while later I needed my modded 10mm so I pressed 1 and it was gone. I went back to my garage and looked in my storage and my gun was gone. I was bummed but didn't feel like going way back in time.

I redid my hot keys and put a modified tire iron on 1. I adventured for a hour, returned to my garage, simply looked at the list of weapon mods for a hunting rifle, backed out of the weapon mod menu, intending to leave the base, pressed 1 and my tire iron was gone. What the gently caress. I wasn't salvaging stuff so I definitely didn't accidentally salvage my weapon and it's not in any storage things at the garage. Thankfully I had a very recent save so I was able to only lose a few minutes. But my 10mm was long gone cause I didn't notice it for some time.

Is anyone noticing this too?

BE CAREFUL WITH THE ITEM YOU HAVE SET TO 1!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

King Vidiot posted:

If this is a thing that really happens, I wonder if just taking the Fusion Core out and carrying it with you could prevent that.

Is there actually any reason to get out of power armour somewhere where it isn't safe? Get out of it for a few seconds to repair it or rest or something then hop straight back in. My spares are stored in a large box in sanctuary where they're safe.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

There is some sort of bug with the item you hot key to 1 I think.

Last night I was doing stuff at work benches at Red Rocket Garage, saved my game, and moved on into the waste. A short while later I needed my modded 10mm so I pressed 1 and it was gone. I went back to my garage and looked in my storage and my gun was gone. I was bummed but didn't feel like going way back in time.

I redid my hot keys and put a modified tire iron on 1. I adventured for a hour, returned to my garage, simply looked at the list of weapon mods for a hunting rifle, backed out of the weapon mod menu, intending to leave the base, pressed 1 and my tire iron was gone. What the gently caress. I wasn't salvaging stuff so I definitely didn't accidentally salvage my weapon and it's not in any storage things at the garage. Thankfully I had a very recent save so I was able to only lose a few minutes. But my 10mm was long gone cause I didn't notice it for some time.

Is anyone noticing this too?

BE CAREFUL WITH THE ITEM YOU HAVE SET TO 1!

I've never had it completely disappear, but I've had it going invisible for periods. Like my first person view shows no gun, third person shows my character with their arms stretched out shooting bullets from thin air. It's very confusing, but a few weapon switches usually fixes it :downs:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MooCowlian posted:

Is there actually any reason to get out of power armour somewhere where it isn't safe? Get out of it for a few seconds to repair it or rest or something then hop straight back in. My spares are stored in a large box in sanctuary where they're safe.

It depends on what is or isn't "safe". Mine's still parked at Red Rocket, I don't really use it all that much but I've only been playing about 5 hours so far.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

At red rocket you can just close the gate on the garage, and then put a wall in front of the other door. To enter the room you just enter building mode, start to move the wall, and then cancel when you are in the room. Otherwise impossible for any other NPC to get in so they can't steal it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I doubt the game actually spawns NPCs to steal things far outside of your visible range.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't doubt there's a cheat mod already to give me crafting mats, and I really wouldn't mind having one, because the game requiring you to packrat loving everything there is is getting old.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found a kitty cat today at Abernathy. :kimchi:

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Anyone else taking their sweet time like me? Haven't even made it to diamond city yet. I'm trying to explore all the things around the starting area.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't doubt there's a cheat mod already to give me crafting mats, and I really wouldn't mind having one, because the game requiring you to packrat loving everything there is is getting old.

Yeah, for my first few hours I just left all the trash like ashtrays and clipboard where they were, and then suddenly I can't do any weapon crafting because I don't have any screws. Now I pretty much just hoover up ALL the crap.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

For pc if you enable god mode you don't need materials to build. I haven't tested but w few people in another thread recommended that

Also is there a fast way to scrap stuff? Or do I literally just drop all junk in my inventory then hold v and go to town?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

When do I get something to replace this hideous vault suit? I'm like 15 hours in, and the vault suit is still the only decent thing you can wear underneath the armor. I have some road leathers, which look cooler but have lovely stats and can't be upgraded so I'm not bothering with those. I suppose I could just put on the Silver Shroud coat again...

Looks like someone on Nexus made a black and gold recolor of the vault suit, which looks nicer than the default blue one but is only for female characters because :nexus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

^^^^ I've mostly just been wearing military fatigues. They look pretty good with most over-armours and have an alright stat bonus. No modifications or DR, though. ^^^^

DirtyTalk posted:

Anyone else taking their sweet time like me? Haven't even made it to diamond city yet. I'm trying to explore all the things around the starting area.

I moved to diamond city specifically relatively quickly because I wanted access to a few traders (and of course the plastic surgeon :science:), but ever since then I've also mostly just been loving around. I did maybe one more main mission after that and now there's giant blimp hanging in the sky that the game evidently wants me to do something about, but that I'm pointedly ignoring in favour of building my own little private army through the minutemen.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 12, 2015

• Locked thread