Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

johnny sack posted:

The problem with GM's 'daytime running lights' of the late 90's/early 2000's was that, as the driver, you thought the headlights were on. So, when it starts to get dark out, you don't instinctively turn on the headlights because it looks like they're already on. As a result, you drive around like a loving idiot with headlights on but no taillights. It's unreal that every car that had this design flaw hadn't been recalled and this problem fixed. What a stupid loving design flaw. How could this have gotten past their quality department?

The solution to this is to make it so the headlights also turn on the instrument panel lights. Nobody is going to drive around when they cant see the speedometer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Mange Mite posted:

The solution to this is to make it so the headlights also turn on the instrument panel lights. Nobody is going to drive around when they cant see the speedometer

you have never seen a person driving around without their headlights on in full darkness?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Whole Internet posted:

having a car that's impossible and confounding for everyone including yourself to get into vs having a lock

hmm yes it's clear which of these is the dumb design

could be worse http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/11/texas-man-dog-die-trapped-corvette/71053474/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ahahahahaha

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Voltage posted:

My '14 ford fiesta has voice controls and they are absolutely useless. If I say "take me home" it just yells at me to say "navigation or climate" first. So I say navigation, wait, then say take me home. And then it goes into a tirade about how I need to say the street address, which, in the two years ive owned this car i have yet to get it to fully understand and route me to a specific address. Also, how in the gently caress would it be easier to go through a poo poo load of terrible voice menus to turn on my ac when i can just turn a knob right in front of me? The climate controls are also on a menu in the terrible touch screen for no apparent reason.

Sat nav in my car was a $1000 option and i literally just use my phone for gps every time i need it, thats how bad it is. Just always loses gps signal and the traffic info is never correct. Utter trash.

Just give me the 3 knobs for climate and an aux/usb jack for sound everything else can gently caress off forever. Except steering wheel audio controls those own.

Why did you buy it then

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The salesman probably said, "The GPS in this car is both cool and good."

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

quote:

5.) All teenagers should be in manual transmission vehicles. One hand on the wheel + one hand on the shift = no hands for texting.

yeah i dont trust this man's opinions

"He could not call for help because he had left his phone inside the Waffle House."

A man died because he didn't want to break the window on his dream car

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 12, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Touch screens loving suck almost always. Unless you can hold it in your hand like a phone in which case it ... Still sucks

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm the huge internet fight about an electric car or whatever

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I exclusively use my ToMTom. No cell phones as they suck. Don't get gps op.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Parity warning posted:

Why did you buy it then

I'm leasing it and giving it back in a few weeks, not because I want to, but because I'm too poor right now to buy it outright and I'm most likely going to replace it with some 90's shitbox nonsense.

It's actually a loving awesome car in every way except for the voice controls and touch screen (its the Fiesta ST not the pleb base model).

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

The Whole Internet posted:

stop pretending you own a tesla or know anyone who does (it's p obvious you're not the type of person important people would associate with)

It's sort of ludicrous to think that Teslas are only for important people. I'm not out and about much, and I see at least 2 every time I run to the store or work. There's one in my neighborhood even. If I head up to the mall or across town, I'm more likely to see half a dozen. There aren't that many important people in Columbus Ohio.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

yeah i dont trust this man's opinions

"He could not call for help because he had left his phone inside the Waffle House."

A man died because he didn't want to break the window on his dream car

He was 72. It's entirely possible that he couldn't break the window with whatever he had available. I doubt very much he could get his legs out from under the steering column to kick a window. Not in a tiny Corvette cab.

If the man was in his 60's (or younger) I would be more likely to say "why didn't he just break a window", but at 72 he probably didn't have a whole lot of strength left.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mange Mite posted:

You've never been in a car with my dad. Spedometer broke but it was okay, he could determine his speed by how fast the lines on the road were going by.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

thathonkey posted:

Touch screens loving suck almost always. Unless you can hold it in your hand like a phone in which case it ... Still sucks

Lol this guy ok man let me get you a sidekick

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

gently caress da Mods posted:

Most touchscreens I've used have left some to be desired, but the one on my phone is seriously top notch, maybe even too good, in the sense that it picks up the tiniest glancing brush.

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:

Picnic Princess posted:

You've never been in a car with my dad. Spedometer broke but it was okay, he could determine his speed by how fast the lines on the road were going by.

Hah, this reminds me of my 03 Oldsmobile Alero. After a decade, direct sunlight would cause the instrument panel to short out for about 10-20 minutes after starting the engine. After one hot summer, the panel was permanently dead. No more speedometer, fuel gauge, engine temperature, battery warnings, nothing. Also no AC or heat. By that point I only used it for a short daily commute, and its easy to estimate how fast you should be going based on who's in front of and behind you. Judging the contents of the fuel tank were a bit trickier.

I'm surprised that car lasted as long as it did before the engine block and internal computer both went kaput. That was a good car (while everything worked)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Touchscreens are awesome for a tiny handheld computer like a smartphone. They are completely awful for something you should be able to use without looking at, because it turns out there aren't a lot of reference points on a featureless piece of glass

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

XYZ posted:

Anything beyond 'Pull handle, open door' is, in fact, bad design.

There was a video on the BMW i8 showing how utterly loving abysmal its design was. The doors are electrical, but in case of power failure or fire, there's a manual release which is almost impossible to use without breaking it and ending up stuck inside.

The bonnet cannot be opened without at least two people and needs to have screwdrivers jammed into it to stay up. You also can't close it again with cracking the super expensive carbon fibre. As such, only the dealer is ever supposed to open it. Hope you don't run out of wiper fluid.

Want fuel? There's a minute and a half delay from when you press the button to when the filler cap opens.

For some reason, every video showing this has been scrubbed from the web.

Ever wanted to disable the annoying beeping your car makes if you turn it on without wearing a seatbelt? Hope you have an hour.

Three-Phase posted:

Also a really bad design to me is a control screen that has temperature measurements for different things in Fahrenheit and Centigrade. :psyduck:

Windows 10 weather tile has temp in Celsius and wind speed in miles per hour. And you can't change it to kph either. I mean, what the gently caress?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Hah, this reminds me of my 03 Oldsmobile Alero. After a decade, direct sunlight would cause the instrument panel to short out for about 10-20 minutes after starting the engine. After one hot summer, the panel was permanently dead. No more speedometer, fuel gauge, engine temperature, battery warnings, nothing. Also no AC or heat. By that point I only used it for a short daily commute, and its easy to estimate how fast you should be going based on who's in front of and behind you. Judging the contents of the fuel tank were a bit trickier.

I'm surprised that car lasted as long as it did before the engine block and internal computer both went kaput. That was a good car (while everything worked)

I had an 03 Aurora for a while, and it had the sensors that would automatically turn the windshield wipers on if it detected water. There was no way to turn them off. So, on any muggy day, the wipers would go full speed the entire time the car was running, leading to me needing new wiper blades every few months.

My god. I just know that on the third time pulling the belt all the way out and letting it retract it would do that floppy thing where it goes halfway in and stops, and I'd have to start over.

The car I have now (a Fiat) has the seatbelt chime that never, ever goes off. I always wear my belt, but sometimes I'm just moving the car across a parking lot or driving out to the mailbox, and it makes me insane, because it's a particularly annoying chime.

EDIT:
Since people were talking about annoying automatic climate control in cars, I had a Nissan Maxima a few years ago that had the thing where you would set your temperature. I liked the concept, but I wanted it to work like a home's furnace does, in the sense where it gets the air up to a temperature and turns off, until it cools a bit. Instead, it would just constantly blow on high, but turn the air temp cooler and warmer as needed. It was impossible to drive for 45 minutes without getting chapped lips.

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 12, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

thathonkey posted:

Treo supremacy

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

Want fuel? There's a minute and a half delay from when you press the button to when the filler cap opens.

For some reason, every video showing this has been scrubbed from the web.

What the gently caress :psyduck:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sounds like a lot of new cars suck, glad I drive a 2004. I didn't even realize fully-electric doors on vehicles were a thing.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

enraged_camel posted:

"This article is based on published 'facts' and not at all based on real world experience with current production manual transmission vehicles."

Right. "Real world experience" AKA anecdotal evidence.

You're an idiot. EPA results are based on specific tests that rarely emulate actual driving conditions accurately. It's not "anecdotal" evidence when people enmasse calculate their consumption and find it to have been greater then the EPA reports.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

You all are the "isn't there an easier way" people in infomercials

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

criscodisco posted:

I had an 03 Aurora for a while, and it had the sensors that would automatically turn the windshield wipers on if it detected water. There was no way to turn them off. So, on any muggy day, the wipers would go full speed the entire time the car was running, leading to me needing new wiper blades every few months.

lmao

criscodisco posted:

EDIT:
Since people were talking about annoying automatic climate control in cars, I had a Nissan Maxima a few years ago that had the thing where you would set your temperature. I liked the concept, but I wanted it to work like a home's furnace does, in the sense where it gets the air up to a temperature and turns off, until it cools a bit. Instead, it would just constantly blow on high, but turn the air temp cooler and warmer as needed. It was impossible to drive for 45 minutes without getting chapped lips.

Thats strange, i have a nissan and in mine the temp control works mostly by varying the fan speed. Sure once it hits the correct temperature the fan always stays on at the lowest setting but i like having moving air in a car so its perfect for me.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

johnny sack posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but why hasn't someone just cut a hole in the bathroom wall and moved the light switch?

edit: it would take like 30 minutes all said and done

Not to poo poo on your idea but there's a cabinet in that corner so it's not that easy.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

gently caress da Mods posted:

let me amend what i said: for typing they suck* (even if it were a fuller-sized keyboard like you can basically get on the new huge ipad)

haptic touchscreens WORK very well. unless you're wearing gloves.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
My car is an 03 Corolla, so too late to still have a tape deck, but to new to have any USB, Blurtooth, or even Aux input, so to get my phone to play music, I had to buy a new head unit. I didn't need a fancy one, and have no CDs anymore, so I bought one that doesn't have a CD player, only radio, and Bluetooth, USB, and Aux inputs.

Here it is, in all its dusty glory:

Notice anything missing? I guess because there's no CD player, they figured they didn't need basic features like a PLAY/PAUSE button. So when I connect my phone to it, I have fumble with my phone to play/pause my music/podcasts/whatever.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ATjR06h8Tw

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

My car is an 03 Corolla, so too late to still have a tape deck, but to new to have any USB, Blurtooth, or even Aux input, so to get my phone to play music, I had to buy a new head unit. I didn't need a fancy one, and have no CDs anymore, so I bought one that doesn't have a CD player, only radio, and Bluetooth, USB, and Aux inputs.

Here it is, in all its dusty glory:

Notice anything missing? I guess because there's no CD player, they figured they didn't need basic features like a PLAY/PAUSE button. So when I connect my phone to it, I have fumble with my phone to play/pause my music/podcasts/whatever.

it's kind of your fault tho for buying a JVC product. they're all poorly designed and utter garbage. like did you not check out the unit before buying it?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

thathonkey posted:

it's kind of your fault tho for buying a JVC product. they're all poorly designed and utter garbage. like did you not check out the unit before buying it?

To be perfeclty honest "double check there is a play/pause" button isn't something on my list, because I never thought they wouldn't exist. I read reviews, and most were basically "it's ok." which about sums up my feelings. No one mentioned the play/pause thing.

Once I got and installed it, I assumed some button must do double-duty as play/pause, but nope.

I got the car when it was already 7 years old, and got the stereo soon after. I got a cheap one because I honestly didn't think the car would last this long.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

nomadologique posted:

i can' teven understand really why there is the option to turn off headlights ever, unless you are driving a police car

headlights aren't just so you can see but so you can be seen

they should never be allowed to go off

think of all the times you drive by idiots at dawn or dusk who don't have their headlights on because they can see, but they are invisible to you; or during rain, who don't turn their lights on

weeeee the option to commit crimes!

I have a $34,000 2013 car that doesn't have automatic lights. Also it doesn't have cruise control.

I solve this by turning my lights on lol. really pro move imo.

You should always be able to turn OFF your lights, im not sure what kind of sheltered life one must lead to not be able to think of any situation where this might be applicable. However, lights should be automatically on in general... which they are in 99.99% of cars sold in a whole lot of years so this is a non issue.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

1gnoirents posted:

I have a $34,000 2013 car that doesn't have automatic lights. Also it doesn't have cruise control.

I solve this by turning my lights on lol. really pro move imo.

You should always be able to turn OFF your lights, im not sure what kind of sheltered life one must lead to not be able to think of any situation where this might be applicable. However, lights should be automatically on in general... which they are in 99.99% of cars sold in a whole lot of years so this is a non issue.

Both vehicles I've owned, something was jacked up somewhere, so the Headlight control knob did nothing. Lights would come on at dark, but no way to turn them off. Well, sometimes when it gets really cold, I can actually control them for a little while.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

1gnoirents posted:

im not sure what kind of sheltered life one must lead to not be able to think of any situation where this might be applicable.

Yeah, like if you're being hunted by Terminators in the future.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Maoist Pussy posted:

Any automobile that isn't a stick shift is automatically Bad Design. People who can't drive stick should take the bus or stay at the convent.

agreed but i live in america where any car with a stick shifter is a RACING CAR!!!!! and therefore has a premium

02 civic automatic w 60k miles, fully loaded & clean interior? like five grand where i live.
00 civic 5 speed w 200k miles, poo poo interior, no bells or whistles, you're also looking at 5 grand. this option also probably has aftermarket wheels and a fartbox exhaust, maybe a cold air intake because the previous owner was an actual retard, and don't expect the paint to have any enamel on it because if its not spray painted the paint is gonna be gone.

unless you are driving a truck in which case trucks with manual transmissions are WORK TRUCKS and therefore nobody buys them. unless its got rims on it

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 12, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
How can 02 civic have 60k miles?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Germstore posted:

I have an 05 honda accord with 46k. I usually ride my motorcycle places.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Germstore posted:

* sat in storage
* used 1/2 year by snowbirds
* grandma getting groceries
* was broken extended periods of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

* sat in storage
* used 1/2 year by snowbirds
* grandma getting groceries
* was broken extended periods of time

and now we know why it costs the same as the 00 option with 200k miles and that bomb rear end intake :rock:

• Locked thread