Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

nimper posted:

The extra $15 charge should drop off automatically after your contract is fulfilled. You can always call to make sure.

Oh cool! For some reason I thought I read something about them trying to double dip in that case :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

AT&T's business site is atrocious. It's slllooooooow and very buggy. Even the business care CSR's I speak with on the phone complain about it occasionally. Does anyone know if it will ever be updated?

Also, if AT&T is "Experiencing a higher than normal call volume" every time I call in, what is a "Normal" call volume?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

nimper posted:

The extra $15 charge should drop off automatically after your contract is fulfilled. You can always call to make sure.

I have a similar question.

My current phone is an unlocked phone but I used my two year upgrade so I could sell the phone. I didn't know the $15 charge should have gone away but I assume it didn't because I still used the upgrade despite not actually using the phone.

I want to get a Nexus 6P now but my contract doesn't end until 2/11. Should I see about canceling the contract to stop paying that $15 or will it certainly cost more than $45?

edit: An additional question. My current line is $40 while the rest of my family have lines that cost $15 because they have a Discount for Mobile Share Value Savings. I see here https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html that you are eligible for that if your contract started before March 2014, which mine did. Does that mean if my family were to renew a 2 year contract that they would lose the discount? Is this discount the $15 or $25 that I would save when the contract ends and I get an unlocked phone?

I had this same discount until I did my renewal (and sold the phone) in Feb. 2014. My dad argued about it for awhile with them and they wouldn't give it back.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 12, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

KingKapalone posted:

I want to get a Nexus 6P now but my contract doesn't end until 2/11. Should I see about canceling the contract to stop paying that $15 or will it certainly cost more than $45?

Here's the info on how much it would cost to terminate your contract.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/early-term-fees.jsp

Basically it's $325 minus $10 for each contract month you've completed.

Also that per-line discount only applied to people in 2-year contracts when they rolled out the mobile share plans. I think the cutoff date was in Feb/March 2014. So if you start a new contract you'd pay the full $40 per line.

edit: According to the Rate Plan Calculator, the cutoff date for 5GB plans was 3/9/14 and the cutoff for >=15GB was 2/2/14.
http://myattrpc.com/

nimper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 12, 2015

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

nimper posted:

Here's the info on how much it would cost to terminate your contract.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/early-term-fees.jsp

Basically it's $325 minus $10 for each contract month you've completed.

Also that per-line discount only applied to people in 2-year contracts when they rolled out the mobile share plans. I think the cutoff date was in Feb/March 2014. So if you start a new contract you'd pay the full $40 per line.

edit: According to the Rate Plan Calculator, the cutoff date for 5GB plans was 3/9/14 and the cutoff for >=15GB was 2/2/14.
http://myattrpc.com/

So would I not save any money on my plan by adding an unlocked phone and not renewing the contract like you said to the other guy? Basically am I looking at $500 for a Nexus with same plan or $200 for 6S Plus with same plan? I'd probably just have to go iPhone then.

If any of my family renews a 2 year contract they will lose their discount?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

KingKapalone posted:

So would I not save any money on my plan by adding an unlocked phone and not renewing the contract like you said to the other guy? Basically am I looking at $500 for a Nexus with same plan or $200 for 6S Plus with same plan? I'd probably just have to go iPhone then.

If any of my family renews a 2 year contract they will lose their discount?

If anyone renews their contract they will lose the discount and pay $40/line instead of $15 or $25.

Also you would absolutely save money with $500 up front for a Nexus and a discounted line access fee versus an iPhone 6S+ on contract.

You can use http://attcalc.com/next/ to look at your scenario and see the total cost of ownership for that iPhone.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
God I hope someone at AT&T is smart enough to just wholesale copy the Verizon international plan. Would make my life so much easier.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

nimper posted:

If anyone renews their contract they will lose the discount and pay $40/line instead of $15 or $25.

Also you would absolutely save money with $500 up front for a Nexus and a discounted line access fee versus an iPhone 6S+ on contract.

You can use http://attcalc.com/next/ to look at your scenario and see the total cost of ownership for that iPhone.

So on Feb 11th when my two years is up my bill should go down based on what I've outlined here? Adding a Nexus would keep it that way and if I decide to buy a subsidized iPhone from them under contract it would go back to $40?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 12, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

KingKapalone posted:

So on Feb 11th when my two years is up my bill should go down based on what I've outlined here? Adding a Nexus would keep it that way and if I decide to buy a subsidized iPhone from them under contract it would go back to $40?

That's correct.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Alright, I've got an issue and would like some help in figuring out how to resolve it. I have an AT&T account, I'm satisfied with it, etc. The problem is there is someone else who has an AT&T account and this person listed my email as their contact email address. I'm sure AT&T's software has something in it to prevent duplicate email addresses from being used, but this other person used a gmail address and put a dot in the middle of it--as far as gmail is concerned, dots are ignored, but I'm betting AT&T's software counts it as a different address. For example, my email is firstlast@gmail.com and this other person has first.last@gmail.com.

I'd rather not get someone else's billing statements and notifications of them changing settings on their accounts. I have contacted customer support twice in regards to this issue, once over the phone and once through chat, and both times after I spent a good 20 minutes explaining the problem, they assured me it would be corrected. Spoiler: it hasn't been corrected. I just got an email in regards to this other guy's account saying a payment of $821.65 just went through. I don't want to know this stuff about someone else's account, and I'm sure this other person would like to get notifications that their bills are due or whatnot. How the heck do I get this fixed?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Never thought of that. What do you do, just log into the website and change all of the information to whoever buys it? The main downside I'd guess is losing your number.
You'd have to pay me at least $1,000 to deal with all that poo poo.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I have 5 months left on my NEXT plan. I want to pay off the rest of it so I can keep the phone and then buy a Nexus 6P from the google store and use that but I don't see an option to do this from the AT&T website. Would I have to go to a store to do this?

E: Nevermind, I found it

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 21, 2015

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Sergiu64 posted:

Hi guys, sorry if this is a common question:

My contract is coming to a close on Nov 20th. I'm planning to buy a new unlocked phone on my own and stay with AT&T, will they lower my bill by $15 automatically when I deactivate the current phone and activate the new one since I'm going off a subsidised phone? How does the process work?

nimper posted:

Are you on a mobile share plan?

I have this same question. I'm on FamilyTalk Nation 550 with Rollover (unlimited data, $10/mo text). I'm actually the only user on this account due to a friend dropping off the plan. Do I do anything special?

...and I've looked into their other plans but don't see anything better than the 50voice+30data+10text I'm paying now. I'm not sure if I'm able to drop down to a one-user plan that's worthwhile right now.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

DNK posted:

I have this same question. I'm on FamilyTalk Nation 550 with Rollover (unlimited data, $10/mo text). I'm actually the only user on this account due to a friend dropping off the plan. Do I do anything special?

...and I've looked into their other plans but don't see anything better than the 50voice+30data+10text I'm paying now. I'm not sure if I'm able to drop down to a one-user plan that's worthwhile right now.

I've got the same deal, single device with unlimited data. Last I checked it was something like 5 gb for the same price. Unless I really wanted to pay less money for less than 5 gb of data then it wasn't worth the switch. I renewed my contract and got a new subsidized phone this past summer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

You won't get a discount for having Next on your plan, the plan isn't designed for that.

It depends on how much data you use. You are paying $90 a month currently and a discounted phone is $250ish after upgrade fee. The 5GB plan is about $75, so it's a question of whether that's enough data. If it is, then in general I would say it'll mostly equal out.

Then it's just a matter of whether you want to bother switching your plan yet.

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
My girlfriend, Ana, loves me.
Grimey Drawer
Hey I've been really checked out of caring about phone plans for a while, but I think it's time to reassess that, and I would really appreciate any guidance that you guys have. I appreciate that this is boring and onerous to read, and if you are especially knowledgeable about this topic and can give me specific, good advice, I'd be happy to throw $10 your way to make it slightly worth your time. Thanks for considering.

Basically, my parents and I are still on a family plan that we've had for forever. It's the "FamilyTalk Nation 550 with Rollover" plan, to be specific, and my dad has a dumb phone with no plan frills, and my mom and I have iphones with old unlimited data plans (each is $30/month). My line has the unlimited text option for $20/month, and my mom has a 200 text/month thing for $5/month. At this point, all three lines are eligible for upgrades.

In terms of usage, we pretty much accrue rollover minutes every single month, since none of us talks much on the phone. My mom uses effectively no data, and I use about 1 to 3 gb/month.

At this point, I'd like to upgrade to an iphone 6s, and I'm trying to figure out what plan makes the most sense. Should I do a 2-year contract renewal and keep things exactly the same, or should I buy the phone outright and do no contract, or should I do one of the Next plans so I can more easily trade in and upgrade in a year or whatever. Also, can I keep the unlimited data with any of those options, or is that even a good idea? Is unlimited data even worth preserving, since they throttle after some point, I don't even use that much data, and I can't tether with unlimited? Is there some type of data share plan that would be better/cheaper for us? If we change plans do we lose our 3000 hoarded-up rollover minutes?

Again, I really appreciate any input you have on this. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SupahDren posted:

Hey I've been really checked out of caring about phone plans for a while, but I think it's time to reassess that, and I would really appreciate any guidance that you guys have. I appreciate that this is boring and onerous to read, and if you are especially knowledgeable about this topic and can give me specific, good advice, I'd be happy to throw $10 your way to make it slightly worth your time. Thanks for considering.

Basically, my parents and I are still on a family plan that we've had for forever. It's the "FamilyTalk Nation 550 with Rollover" plan, to be specific, and my dad has a dumb phone with no plan frills, and my mom and I have iphones with old unlimited data plans (each is $30/month). My line has the unlimited text option for $20/month, and my mom has a 200 text/month thing for $5/month. At this point, all three lines are eligible for upgrades.

In terms of usage, we pretty much accrue rollover minutes every single month, since none of us talks much on the phone. My mom uses effectively no data, and I use about 1 to 3 gb/month.

At this point, I'd like to upgrade to an iphone 6s, and I'm trying to figure out what plan makes the most sense. Should I do a 2-year contract renewal and keep things exactly the same, or should I buy the phone outright and do no contract, or should I do one of the Next plans so I can more easily trade in and upgrade in a year or whatever. Also, can I keep the unlimited data with any of those options, or is that even a good idea? Is unlimited data even worth preserving, since they throttle after some point, I don't even use that much data, and I can't tether with unlimited? Is there some type of data share plan that would be better/cheaper for us? If we change plans do we lose our 3000 hoarded-up rollover minutes?

Again, I really appreciate any input you have on this. Thanks!

Plan analysis is not a problem. Only issue is I don't know if ATT is still doing two year contracts in your area, only way is to call care or stop by a store. Note that they will try like hell to get you to switch plans.

Your plan:
$50 for mins (we'll assume this is dads line)
$10 + $30 + $5 for mom
$10 + $30 + $20 for you

Total: $155 monthly. If you can do a two year contract, it's $200-300 for whatever phone, plus $45 upgrade fee. Next won't make sense on this plan, you don't get a savings or reduced plan for buying the phone outright.

You would need at least the 5GB share plan.

$50 for 5GB, call/text
$20 for dad
$25 for mom
$25 for you

Monthly: $120

I assume everyone is already off contract. Now the plan is lower (albeit you are getting less data), but keep in mind you don't get subsidized phones, so you add on one or two phones on Next, cost wise is $650-750 each over 24 or 30 months. If you do 24, that's about $27-30 month each, which puts you back at around $150-160, but including phones.

factors:
1. If dad wants a smartphone, I would say at that point do the larger data plan ($100 for 15GB, $15 a line = $145) and then the new plans will be a no brained vs adding on more data
2. Do you guys get a monthly discount?
3. Whether ATT even offers two year contracts in your area.

I would lean towards the new plan, but the biggest downside is you are getting less data than currently. If you can't do a two year contract, and/or dad wants a smartphone, do the new plans for sure. Otherwise, I would weigh benefits of unlimited vs a slight cost savings plus you can save money when the phone is paid off after 24 months.

And I don't need $10, I do this because for some drat stupid reason I enjoy analyzing plans (except Sprint plans).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So my cellphone bit the dust this weekend, or, well, it's hobbling along, rebooting every 2mins - 2 hours even with a factory reset. Does AT&T ever run any black friday promotions? I can't seem to find anything but I could probably make it 4 days with this piece of poo poo if I could save a chunk of change. Buying either a Galaxy S6 or an iPhone 6S+

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Three Olives posted:

So my cellphone bit the dust this weekend, or, well, it's hobbling along, rebooting every 2mins - 2 hours even with a factory reset. Does AT&T ever run any black friday promotions? I can't seem to find anything but I could probably make it 4 days with this piece of poo poo if I could save a chunk of change. Buying either a Galaxy S6 or an iPhone 6S+

Best Buy is offering a $250 gift card if you get an S6 or Note 5 from them and pay using Next http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/samsung-offer/pcmcat748300712309.c?id=pcmcat748300712309

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Duckman2008 posted:

And I don't need $10, I do this because for some drat stupid reason I enjoy analyzing plans (except Sprint plans).

This was legitimately my favorite part of working sales for a Verizon Authorized Retailer. Granted, they weren't big fans of it as they were the pinnacle of scummy authorized retailers and this was in 2010/2011 as plan pricing was getting to its most hostile.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ganon posted:

Best Buy is offering a $250 gift card if you get an S6 or Note 5 from them and pay using Next http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/samsung-offer/pcmcat748300712309.c?id=pcmcat748300712309

This is a really good deal that I tried to take advantage of today but a warning, if you have AT&T combined billing Best Buy can't upgrade you unless you decombine the billing which can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 72+ hours apparently. Which I found out in store. After leaving work. After no one brought up the issue of why the online upgrade process wasn't working on the phone and they said just to come into the store. After I just combined the bill and it screwed up my billing process so much that I just paid $520 to AT&T a few days ago.

So hopefully tomorrow, it's a stupid good deal that no one else comes close to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

This is a really good deal that I tried to take advantage of today but a warning, if you have AT&T combined billing Best Buy can't upgrade you unless you decombine the billing which can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 72+ hours apparently. Which I found out in store. After leaving work. After no one brought up the issue of why the online upgrade process wasn't working on the phone and they said just to come into the store. After I just combined the bill and it screwed up my billing process so much that I just paid $520 to AT&T a few days ago.

So hopefully tomorrow, it's a stupid good deal that no one else comes close to.

I left ATT right when combined billing was becoming a thing in my area due to DTV and I would honestly say the $5 savings wasn't worth the headache combined billing causes.

SupahDren
Jul 19, 2002
My girlfriend, Ana, loves me.
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Plan analysis is not a problem. Only issue is I don't know if ATT is still doing two year contracts in your area, only way is to call care or stop by a store. Note that they will try like hell to get you to switch plans.

(snipped out really useful advice)

factors:
1. If dad wants a smartphone, I would say at that point do the larger data plan ($100 for 15GB, $15 a line = $145) and then the new plans will be a no brained vs adding on more data
2. Do you guys get a monthly discount?
3. Whether ATT even offers two year contracts in your area.

I would lean towards the new plan, but the biggest downside is you are getting less data than currently. If you can't do a two year contract, and/or dad wants a smartphone, do the new plans for sure. Otherwise, I would weigh benefits of unlimited vs a slight cost savings plus you can save money when the phone is paid off after 24 months.

Thank you so much! This is incredibly useful. I have looked into the points you mentioned, and here is more information on the factors you listed, in case it changes your calculus at all:

1) Noted. My dad may want a smartphone now, thanks.
2) There is a 15% monthly discount listed on my line and on my mom's line. I'm actually the primary number, so that discount is affecting a disproportionate chunk of the bill. Would changing plans get rid of that discount or otherwise affect it?
3) I just checked with a rep online, and he said the 2-year contracts were available for us. If I start the phone upgrade process online, I can also see them listed as an option, so it looks possible.

If I were to give my dad my current smartphone when I upgrade, do you happen to know how much more AT&T would charge him per month to use that instead of his dumb phone? I'm guessing they would make that painful. Also, I have some phone insurance thing that is $10/month. Is that useful at all or a scam? Should I drop that and get the extended applecare on the next phone, or would you recommend none of those options?

Thanks again, so much. And I really don't mind venmo/paypaling you something for your time; just PM me an email to send it to. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SupahDren posted:

Thank you so much! This is incredibly useful. I have looked into the points you mentioned, and here is more information on the factors you listed, in case it changes your calculus at all:

1) Noted. My dad may want a smartphone now, thanks.
2) There is a 15% monthly discount listed on my line and on my mom's line. I'm actually the primary number, so that discount is affecting a disproportionate chunk of the bill. Would changing plans get rid of that discount or otherwise affect it?
3) I just checked with a rep online, and he said the 2-year contracts were available for us. If I start the phone upgrade process online, I can also see them listed as an option, so it looks possible.

If I were to give my dad my current smartphone when I upgrade, do you happen to know how much more AT&T would charge him per month to use that instead of his dumb phone? I'm guessing they would make that painful. Also, I have some phone insurance thing that is $10/month. Is that useful at all or a scam? Should I drop that and get the extended applecare on the next phone, or would you recommend none of those options?

Thanks again, so much. And I really don't mind venmo/paypaling you something for your time; just PM me an email to send it to. Thanks!

You won't lose your discount, on the new plans it only goes on the base amount, not each line though. Also, what I quoted is accurate, don't worry that your line shows primary.

Your dad getting a smartphone means you probably should do the new plans. If you give him your smart phone on the old current plan, your plan auto goes up $30 (you do get your discount off it) for a data plan for his line. Plus you would need texting for him.

If you do the 15GB plan you get your discount off the $100 base, and then it's $15 a line plus whatever phones you purchase. Keep in mind ATT charges a $15 upgrade fee as well on next.

And I'll play devils advocate and tell you this the equivalent Verizon plan is $80 for 12GB, then $20. The difference is Verizon will give you a $300 per phone trade in if your phones are working. Both companies are fine to have, so do whichever you want.

I already get paid to do this for a living, so thanks but I'm good :)

Oh, and insurance is $10 a month on whatever company, and it's a $199 replacement for the phone vs paying $650-750 outright. So do the math on whether that's right for you. Personally I don't, but I'm prepared to pay out upfront if I have to for myself or my wife.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have an iPhone 6 and wanted to have a backup for when I sell it a few weeks ahead of the iPhone 7 launch. I bought this Go Phone https://www.att.com/cellphones/zte/maven-prepaid.html from Family Dollar today because it was $20 on a Black Friday sale.

If I understand correctly, when I sell my iPhone 6, I can swap my SIM over until I get the iPhone 7. Until then, the Go Phone is basically an iPod Touch. Is that right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I have an iPhone 6 and wanted to have a backup for when I sell it a few weeks ahead of the iPhone 7 launch. I bought this Go Phone https://www.att.com/cellphones/zte/maven-prepaid.html from Family Dollar today because it was $20 on a Black Friday sale.

If I understand correctly, when I sell my iPhone 6, I can swap my SIM over until I get the iPhone 7. Until then, the Go Phone is basically an iPod Touch. Is that right?

You are aware the iPhone 6S just came out, and that an iPhone 7 won't come out until next September, right? Seems crazy you are buying a year in advance, but do what you want to do.

The Maven is a piece of poo poo. I think it uses a different SIM size so you would have to get a new SIM at a store. But yes it's an iPod touch between now and then.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

You are aware the iPhone 6S just came out, and that an iPhone 7 won't come out until next September, right? Seems crazy you are buying a year in advance, but do what you want to do.

The Maven is a piece of poo poo. I think it uses a different SIM size so you would have to get a new SIM at a store. But yes it's an iPod touch between now and then.
Yes, I know the 7 isn't coming out until September, but my understanding is that $20 for a phone is a good deal that doesn't come around much. If not, I'm happy to return it.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I've had my 64gb GS6 about 5 months now, and the charge port has stopped working. It still charges on the wireless charge pad, but no other USB functions. I have it on a next 24 plan, and I was wondering if I bring it in will I be able to exchange it for something else and continue my Next deal without having to pay all over again? I originally got the GS6 because I wanted a bigger phone than my iPhone 5s and the 6 and 6S weren't out yet. I'd like to switch to the 6S, and I'd be fine paying the difference in price. Just wondering what I should expect to deal with when I go in tomorrow.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Switched.on posted:

I've had my 64gb GS6 about 5 months now, and the charge port has stopped working. It still charges on the wireless charge pad, but no other USB functions. I have it on a next 24 plan, and I was wondering if I bring it in will I be able to exchange it for something else and continue my Next deal without having to pay all over again? I originally got the GS6 because I wanted a bigger phone than my iPhone 5s and the 6 and 6S weren't out yet. I'd like to switch to the 6S, and I'd be fine paying the difference in price. Just wondering what I should expect to deal with when I go in tomorrow.

You would have to trade in and pay the difference on months 6-24 (so like, 18 months of your phone payment) to swap to a different phone because you're buying out the whole phone.

If you want to warranty your S6, ATT has specific centers for dealing with warranty, they are sometimes combined with a store but usually they are separate.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I'll spare everyone in this thread the details, but the short version is some idiot at an AT&T store deleted my grandfathered unlimited data plan, leaving me with no data plan. I called 611 and spoke with someone who was very helpful and understanding about the situation and she said she opened a ticket to get my unlimited plan restored no later than December 1 (and that I should get a text once it's done) and temporarily put me on a 3 GB plan just so I'll have data access of some sort on my phone, but has anyone else had this kind of thing happen? And if so, how much trouble was it getting your unlimited plan restored?

I didn't sign anything in the store, the guy there didn't tell me he changed anything, I honestly had no idea until I was on the phone with AT&T support and the woman I spoke with asked me if I had changed anything on my plan recently and when I told her I hadn't she then mentioned that my unlimited plan had been removed.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I just got a Nexus 6P and still have the at&t nano sim from my old HTC One M8. Can i just talk the sim out of that and put it into the new phone or will I need to call At&T for anything?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Trying to keep this short and sweet- I have an unlimited iPhone data plan as part of my family plan, and both the AT&T website and customer service people over the phone are saying I basically can't change anything in the entire family plan because the whole thing is locked in due to the unlimited data plan. Overall we're paying $233 a month for my iPhone, two other smartphones with 2gb plans, and one flip phone with no data.

Is there a way to switch our minutes/texting plan to something cheaper while keeping my unlimited data or are am I going to have to lose it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Trying to keep this short and sweet- I have an unlimited iPhone data plan as part of my family plan, and both the AT&T website and customer service people over the phone are saying I basically can't change anything in the entire family plan because the whole thing is locked in due to the unlimited data plan. Overall we're paying $233 a month for my iPhone, two other smartphones with 2gb plans, and one flip phone with no data.

Is there a way to switch our minutes/texting plan to something cheaper while keeping my unlimited data or are am I going to have to lose it?

How much data are you really using? I changed my pan awhile back and went with 15 gigs and even with stupid usage I rarely go over 10

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Three Olives posted:

How much data are you really using? I changed my pan awhile back and went with 15 gigs and even with stupid usage I rarely go over 10

On average, 20-22gb a month probably. I've been near 30 a few times. We have lovely internet where I live so the 4g coverage on my phone is the only way I can stream Netflix/YouTube, plus I'm on it most of the day at work.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Ev posted:

I'll spare everyone in this thread the details, but the short version is some idiot at an AT&T store deleted my grandfathered unlimited data plan, leaving me with no data plan. I called 611 and spoke with someone who was very helpful and understanding about the situation and she said she opened a ticket to get my unlimited plan restored no later than December 1 (and that I should get a text once it's done) and temporarily put me on a 3 GB plan just so I'll have data access of some sort on my phone, but has anyone else had this kind of thing happen? And if so, how much trouble was it getting your unlimited plan restored?

I didn't sign anything in the store, the guy there didn't tell me he changed anything, I honestly had no idea until I was on the phone with AT&T support and the woman I spoke with asked me if I had changed anything on my plan recently and when I told her I hadn't she then mentioned that my unlimited plan had been removed.

The good news is, att is far less strict about the whole thing than verizon. You will most likely get your unlimited data back with that single phone call.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Suprfli6 posted:

Easy answer: no sir.

You use too much data, and a family of 3 plus one individual plan will be more expensive. Just stick with what you have as long as you can.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Easy answer: no sir.

You use too much data, and a family of 3 plus one individual plan will be more expensive. Just stick with what you have as long as you can.

That's what I figured.

The website has a Mobile Share Plan for $175 with 5gb of shared data. Do you have any idea how much more the actual bill would be when all the taxes/fees/whatever are added to it? I'm trying to see how much I'd actually save if we did switch.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Suprfli6 posted:

That's what I figured.

The website has a Mobile Share Plan for $175 with 5gb of shared data. Do you have any idea how much more the actual bill would be when all the taxes/fees/whatever are added to it? I'm trying to see how much I'd actually save if we did switch.

That is quite a loaded question. There's no really good way to answer what your taxes and fees will be because if varies WIDELY from state to state. For PA (where I am), I generally told my customers to look for an extra 18%-20% in taxes and fees.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Beefstorm posted:

That is quite a loaded question. There's no really good way to answer what your taxes and fees will be because if varies WIDELY from state to state. For PA (where I am), I generally told my customers to look for an extra 18%-20% in taxes and fees.

Okay I'm in NY so I'd think it would be similar, perhaps a bit higher. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
The ATT passport application crashes at 15% of loading hotspots every time on Android Marshmallow. According to the reviews this is fairly common. Is there any way to still get hotspot access while traveling if the lovely app doesn't work?