Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SE published quite a few good games both this gen and last, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Wendell posted:

axle is right. There's also the fact that Tetsuya Nomura somehow continues to be their golden boy.

What are his list of "crimes" other than KH's stupid plot? People seem really offended by him.
The real piece of work is Toriyama still being hired.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HGH posted:

What are his list of "crimes" other than KH's stupid plot? People seem really offended by him.
The real piece of work is Toriyama still being hired.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh right the belt zipper thing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I dunno why people get mad at video games, but he had nearly a decade to get FFXV out the door and then finally had to be replaced when they told him to go make Kingdom Hearts 3.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harlock posted:

I dunno why people get mad at video games, but he had nearly a decade to get FFXV out the door and then finally had to be replaced when they told him to go make Kingdom Hearts 3.

I don't think anybody was really working on XV before the relaunch, Nomura had been directing a half dozen KH spinoffs as well as doing other work last gen. I'm not the SE guru Sunning is, but I suspect that nobody working on Versus was due to SE's issues with the HD transition rather than any one person's mistakes.

e: And I think he's in charge of VIIR, KH3 is by a another team that he lightly supervises.

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 12, 2015

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I liked FFX because I am a giant baby vagina who gets flustered with the ATB systems. Last time I played it was on PS2, have there been any major changes?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Motto posted:

SE published quite a few good games both this gen and last, actually.

Sure but it's what they've developed that people don't like. The Tomb Raider reboot being a great game shouldn't be a point of hope for the quality of Final Fantasy XV.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WHOOPS posted:

Sure but it's what they've developed that people don't like. The Tomb Raider reboot being a great game shouldn't be a point of hope for the quality of Final Fantasy XV.

They're mostly also collaborations, but their handheld output has been pretty good.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I liked FFX because I am a giant baby vagina who gets flustered with the ATB systems. Last time I played it was on PS2, have there been any major changes?

If you live in America rather than Europe or Australia, there's new content in the form of a couple of new abilities, the optional Expert Sphere Grid which gives you much more freedom to put characters down any path you want from the very beginning, as well as optional superbosses in the form of dark versions of all the aeons, and then another superboss once all the dark aeons have been beaten (this stuff was all in the original PAL PS2 release).

Note that three of those superbosses block off access to Besaid village, Macalania temple, and the room at the very end of Zanarkand once you get the airship. This means that all items in those places get locked behind ridiculously tough battles if you don't get them as soon as you're able to.

Of particular note are the destruction sphere treasures in Besaid and Macalania (necessary for an optional summon), Valefor's second overdrive, a key item needed to power up Tidus' ultimate weapon, and one of the spheres needed for Auron's overdrives. That last one requires you to backtrack all the way to Besaid on foot as soon as you beat Spherimorph if you wanna get all Auron's overdrives without having to fight a superboss that's near-impossible without massive overleveling.

FFX-2 has a bunch of new stuff that was never released in English before, but it's all optional and I don't really care for it tbh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or you can just pay Yojimbo a load of money and one shot them.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sakurazuka posted:

Or you can just pay Yojimbo a load of money and one shot them.

Yeah, or that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hating S-E is 'cool' now because they don't do exactly the same games they did when people were 15 but I still look forward to practically anything they do until I know for sure whether it's worthwhile or not.
Also they greenlit Nier 2 by Platinum so, ya know.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I had the euro plat version, so I remember the dark aeons, the sisters in particular blocking off a particularly good grinding area. I think I gave up on it after trying to get the 200 lightning dodges for lulu's limit break weapon.

It was fun though and I really wouldn't mind giving it a go again. Don't much care for X2 but if it's included it's included.

Wouldn't mind a rerelease of 12 though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Square's sudden change of heart at E3 by admitting they were really hard on their Western branches in blaming them for Japanese screw ups then following that with a Nier 2 trailer was pretty spectacular. It's like the three ghost of JRPG past visited Nomura the night before and he vowed to change.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So with Season 2 of TWD game for the free-ninety-nine this month, is the Episode 1 worth the $24.99? I've heard good things about the games.

Fake edit: Also, can I just jump into Episode 2 or do I need to play through Episode 1 to get the storyline and everything?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Johnny Truant posted:

So with Season 2 of TWD game for the free-ninety-nine this month, is the Episode 1 worth the $24.99? I've heard good things about the games.

Fake edit: Also, can I just jump into Episode 2 or do I need to play through Episode 1 to get the storyline and everything?

My advice is to play Season 1 and then forget about Season 2 because it was bad enough to retroactively taint the good memories I had of the first season.

If you really wanna play Season 2, the player character + some NPCs are from the first season, and all the pathos associated with them will do nothing to tug at your heartstrings, but it's nothing you won't be able to guess through context and expository dialogue.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

axleblaze posted:

Also Advent Children was god damned horrid.

While I'll concede to the rest of your points despite still not really understanding the vitriol towards Square Enix 1st party stuff, besides

Motto posted:

Why should we trust SE? They've made so many FF games, and they're all the worst game in the series.

I also don't see why people hate Advent Children. Sure, it's not a great/deep movie and certainly isn't for everyone, but I mean, were people expecting something that wasn't straight-up FF7 fanservice cheesecake?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Advent Children was the start of Cloud's retcon from goofy 'let's mosey' weirdo to the broody depressed sack of poo poo that everyone seems to remember him as.
The action scenes were good though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Playstation Experience list of games.
Sony are keeping some titles secret. FFXV and P5 are absent for example.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Advent Children was just written by a 13 year old who just wanted to have Cloud and Sephiroth fight again level of writing. If you went in expecting that, fine, but man I've seen something that felt like that much of a waste of everyone's time and money.

Also I just want to clarify I don't really have any hated for SE, I just find it pretty understandable that people are skeptical of them at this point.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Advent Children was the start of Cloud's retcon from goofy 'let's mosey' weirdo to the broody depressed sack of poo poo that everyone seems to remember him as.
The action scenes were good though.

I thought that's kinda how he ended up after the events of FF7, once he got past the "Wait, I'm not Zack. Well, I'll deal with that after I kill this guy for stabbing my, uhh, Zack's girlfriend." I mean, Cloud was pretty screwed up psychologically.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Policenaut posted:

Square's sudden change of heart at E3 by admitting they were really hard on their Western branches in blaming them for Japanese screw ups then following that with a Nier 2 trailer was pretty spectacular. It's like the three ghost of JRPG past visited Nomura the night before and he vowed to change.
Their E3 presentation was a good start, but it was not enough to make up for SE deciding that a F2P game was the proper followup to Sleeping Dogs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

grrarg posted:

Their E3 presentation was a good start, but it was not enough to make up for SE deciding that a F2P game was the proper followup to Sleeping Dogs.

:smith:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

grrarg posted:

Now why you had to go and remind me about that.

RIP Sleeping Dogs, you were too good for this world.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Bethesda has worked hard to make companions in FO4 more of an asset and less of a liability but it's still like 1:3 asset to liability. How are they still so bad at this?

It's because they're using the same drat engine as before.

It's a step up in graphics quality for sure, Fallout 4 looks like how you remember Fallout 3 looking. But coming off the back of a silky smooth MGSV, the performance drop is a bit jarring.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Heavy Rain is getting a PS4 port? Let that piece of poo poo die

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Harlock posted:

David Cage's Hey Guys I Know Ellen Page, Isn't That Cool: The Interactive Experience by David Cage is also coming along.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

flashy_mcflash posted:

Given that it's Black Friday anyhow, it might not be a bad idea to pick up a higher-capacity drive just to have kicking around if you don't want to install it right away. A 2TB drive should be around $100 now, right?
Costco sells the Seagate 2TB I have in mine consistently between $70-$80. It's incredibly easy to swap out. If you're saving a lot on the console via a sale, just grab the HDD and upgrade from the get-go so you don't have to transfer or redownload games you'll be playing for awhile. Especially if you have a bandwidth cap.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Harlock posted:

The fact people still drink David Cage's swill and love it is a sad thing to observe.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Harlock posted:

A coworker loaned me the PS3 version back in like May and I still haven't even opened the case. I've tried to give it back to him multiple times and he's like "no no, take your time". I think he's trolling me.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Harlock posted:

We need 4K SHAAAAAUUUUUN

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

MZ posted:

It's a step up in graphics quality for sure, Fallout 4 looks like how you remember Fallout 3 looking. But coming off the back of a silky smooth MGSV, the performance drop is a bit jarring.

My roommate saw me playing for the first time last night and was like, "This... looks a lot like Fallout 3? I think?" So this sentence is pretty spot on. But yeah, after balling on MGSV for like 100+ hours this is a little disorienting, in a number of ways.

More Fallout 4 talk though, does the dog like, do anything useful? Like it's handy when it distracts a guard or something(so long as it doesn't just think itself a bullet sponge and charge forward blindly...) but other than that... cool, a lamer Diamond Dog, I guess? Is Codsworth any better?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Johnny Truant posted:

My roommate saw me playing for the first time last night and was like, "This... looks a lot like Fallout 3? I think?" So this sentence is pretty spot on. But yeah, after balling on MGSV for like 100+ hours this is a little disorienting, in a number of ways.

More Fallout 4 talk though, does the dog like, do anything useful? Like it's handy when it distracts a guard or something(so long as it doesn't just think itself a bullet sponge and charge forward blindly...) but other than that... cool, a lamer Diamond Dog, I guess? Is Codsworth any better?

Dogmeat will also find useful items/equipment for you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

haveblue posted:

The base game of Destiny shouldn't even be on sale any more, that SKU was retired and replaced with the Legendary Edition.

If you buy the 2014 release the first thing it will do on launch is download literally 20GB of patches and then be full of locked content icons for the 3 expansions it doesn't include.

I recently upgraded my HDD and when I went to re-install Destiny from the original disc it didn't even bother with the old disc install process.

It literally just downloaded the whole game. Although so much has been patched there's probably no point even using the original data.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Dogmeat will also find useful items/equipment for you.

So the explore command is worth it? I tried it once and he brought me a single item from a room filed with probably 10+ items that I wanted, not just random scraps for crafting.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Samurai Sanders posted:

Bethesda has worked hard to make companions in FO4 more of an asset and less of a liability but it's still like 1:3 asset to liability. How are they still so bad at this?

I swear that Piper just randomly drops grenades on top of me, either that or the mutants are all professional baseball pitchers who throw grenades at my feet every single time. I had to get rid of Dogmeat because he is terrible when you are trying to play as a character who stays hidden most of the time.

Also I lost my companion I was trying to get max relationship with for the achievement... is there any way of knowing which settlement I might have sent them to?

I'm pretty overwhelmed with how many locations there are to visit. I wish there was an option to know which location on the map is quest related and which is just a random encounter/location.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Truant posted:

Cogsworth and the other companions can actually fight, he's pretty good at beating people up.

Dogmeat is more support. He finds stuff and carries stuff but he's not a real fighter. He will distract people for you though, and if you get a perk he can pin people for easy crits.

The upside of dogmeat being not a full compaion is that the lone wanderer perk kicks in even if you have him. Otherwise you have to be solo to use it, Cogsworth or any other companion fight really well but then you lose that perk.

Samurai Sanders posted:

To be fair, Bethesda games are massive sandboxes and writing AI to handle all of those possible situations (and their likely lovely navmeshes) is a bit of a challenge.

Its way easier to write decent AI when you're just doing a corridor shooter. And they ARE better here than F3.

But I still prefer to go solo yeah.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Johnny Truant posted:

So the explore command is worth it? I tried it once and he brought me a single item from a room filed with probably 10+ items that I wanted, not just random scraps for crafting.

Uhhh, I don't know about that. He'll sometimes lead you to loot without telling him to explore or anything. I never bother with that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Uhhh, I don't know about that. He'll sometimes lead you to loot without telling him to explore or anything. I never bother with that option.

I dig. When he locates enemies, what exactly does that do? I didn't really notice that affecting me, at all.

• Locked thread