Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

spankmeister posted:

Giving notice without another job lined up 110% with signed contracts and everything isn't a very smart move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

spankmeister posted:

Giving notice without another job lined up 110% with signed contracts and everything isn't a very smart move.

I've got a freelance gig lined up that will cover me for the foreseeable future while I do more job hunting. It was just one job, and there's plenty more opportunities if I'm willing to expand my search to a half hour commute.

Staying here is going to kill me. Staying here is the not smart move.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spankmeister posted:

Have you been reading larches posts?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

spankmeister posted:

Normally I'd agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if staying at his current job any longer would have caused larchesdanrew a very serious stress based illness or injury, and it sounds like he's in a position where not having a job for a bit won't kill him.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Lynxifer posted:

You might want to check out if you've installed KB3097877, apparently this is causing the issue you've outlined

This is one of the reasons I read this thread several times per day. Thanks for this. Bigtime. We had just encountered this a couple of times and suspected it was a Windows update, but weren't sure which one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

senrath posted:

Normally I'd agree, but I wouldn't be surprised if staying at his current job any longer would have caused larchesdanrew a very serious stress based illness or injury, and it sounds like he's in a position where not having a job for a bit won't kill him.

I quit a poo poo job and burned through savings for a few months while freelancing to keep the skills current and remove the temptation to become a lazy bastard. Was definitely worth it, that job was horrible.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Have you been reading larches posts?

senrath posted:

Sure but I thought he had a new job lined up so he could give notice instead of going off half cocked.

But hey if you have freelance jobs lined up more power to you, gently caress that place.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Larch, spin up a kickstarter or whatever fundraising website is cool these days. I'm ready to plunk down a few bucks just so you can escape that 7th circle of hell you are in.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

spankmeister posted:

Sure but I thought he had a new job lined up so he could give notice instead of going off half cocked.

Sometimes you gotta pull a Cortez and burn your ships behind you. You know, for extra motivation to find the next gig.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Agrikk posted:

Sometimes you gotta pull a Cortez and burn your ships behind you. You know, for extra motivation to find the next gig.

I did something similar, didn't have a kid at the time but I still had a mortgage. Trouble sleeping at night and stomach in knots all day, f-that. Jumped into a couple of consulting jobs to hold things over. One of my clients bought my ex-company out of my non-compete clause and went back to there full time. Worst time ever turned into best move ever.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

tomapot posted:

Larch, spin up a kickstarter or whatever fundraising website is cool these days. I'm ready to plunk down a few bucks just so you can escape that 7th circle of hell you are in.

That would be a patreon

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KoRMaK posted:

That would be a patreon
Patreon is for small amounts over an extended period of time. Gofundme would be more appropriate.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I liked FO3/NV and I still don't care about FO4 that much. My thing with Bethesda games is always "wait until the DLC and modding community fixes the save-deleting bugs and makes the game actually fun to play", so in the meantime it's LotV.

Lord of the Virgins?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Lord of the Virgins?

:pervert:

But no, Legacy of the Void. I've been waiting 18 years for them to follow through on that story teaser from that last mission in Brood War.

(Naturally, the payoff probably be more horrible Blizzard writing, but at least being able to drop pylons and warp in Colossi anywhere on the map is fun.)

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

go3 posted:

Don't work for assholes. It is the Golden Rule of my MSP when debating whether to take on a new client. "Would I work for this person? Would I have a drink with this person?" If either answer is no, then I tell them it won't work out and best of luck.

Life is so much better after firing our rear end in a top hat clients. We have one left but they are also our lawyers and sometimes you need an rear end in a top hat lawyer.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

larchesdanrew posted:

I've got a freelance gig lined up that will cover me for the foreseeable future while I do more job hunting. It was just one job, and there's plenty more opportunities if I'm willing to expand my search to a half hour commute.

Staying here is going to kill me. Staying here is the not smart move.

Wow, a WHOLE HALF HOUR AWAY?

:pusheen:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Volmarias posted:

lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Volmarias posted:

I live about a 10 minute drive from work (30 in winter), and it's still too long of a commute. I personally like to minimize travel time because I want to be at "work" as short of time as possible.

My personal dream job would be working 5 days a week, but only about 5 hours a day. :shepface:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I have a 3 foot commute. Bed to desk. It's rough.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

jaegerx posted:

Mine is about 20 ft and up a flight of stairs. My girl would kill me if i tried to work on the bedroom while she slept.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

i moved halfway around the world and cut my commute down from 30 minutes to 20 minutes

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My commute is about 5s and if that ever changes I really might lose it

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I actually enjoy the change of venue. I can't have my computers in my bedroom at home because there's no psychological separation between "sleep" and "loving around on the internet" - they have to be in the living room and I have to put on clothes before I go and play games/gently caress around.

Same when it comes to work - I can work from home for a few days but it's a lot better for me to put on pants, leave home, go to work and get into a work mindset. Even though it's a 7 minute tram ride (most of my commute is waiting for muni/crosswalks) and much of my equipment at home is the same as at work (headphones, chair, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, monitors, even the laptop stand are all identical) it's enough to transition into the right mindset. When I work on side projects I try to go somewhere that's not home or work to hack.

I could never work remote if I didn't also have an office that was only for work - either in my home or ideally a coworking space. For some reason I love being around people even if I just sit with headphones on all day.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

luminalflux posted:

they have to be in the living room and I have to put on clothes before I go and play games/gently caress around.

:confused:

<bathrobecrew4lyfe>

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I mean I put on a tshirt and basketball shorts. My neighbors can see right in to my living room.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

luminalflux posted:

I actually enjoy the change of venue. I can't have my computers in my bedroom at home because there's no psychological separation between "sleep" and "loving around on the internet" - they have to be in the living room and I have to put on clothes before I go and play games/gently caress around.

Same when it comes to work - I can work from home for a few days but it's a lot better for me to put on pants, leave home, go to work and get into a work mindset. Even though it's a 7 minute tram ride (most of my commute is waiting for muni/crosswalks) and much of my equipment at home is the same as at work (headphones, chair, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, monitors, even the laptop stand are all identical) it's enough to transition into the right mindset. When I work on side projects I try to go somewhere that's not home or work to hack.

I could never work remote if I didn't also have an office that was only for work - either in my home or ideally a coworking space. For some reason I love being around people even if I just sit with headphones on all day.

There are definitely days when I feel this way, but the best way to deal with it (that I've found) is to quit out of the "gently caress around" web browser, start up the work one, then get up and walk away from the computer for a bit. Get dressed, do whatever, but remember that you're going to be sitting down to work, not to play.

It also helps that I have a "work" computer and a "gaming" computer, and I can take my work laptop elsewhere in the house if I'm really having trouble buckling down that day.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Potato Alley posted:

<bathrobecrew4lyfe>

For me, there is a line in the sand and that is that my personal rule that I am wearing trousers when I take a phone call or type a work email.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, I would love to have a tiny commute too, but if it's a choice between a longer commute and unemployment...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I would love it if there has been a dream job opportunity for Larches that the company was begging him to take but he refused because it was a 35 minute drive. I have to say personally 45 minutes would be about the longest I could stretch it, unless it was some real peaceful scenic drive in the country every day.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I did 45 minutes to my first tech job for a year. I got used to zoning out twice a day but it was frustrating that for an hour and a half I couldn't get anything done. Then I took the extra money i made in that first year and moved within 5 minutes of that job. It was wonderful to get all that time back.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

It's definitely Aspergers.

Welcome to the club. I recently realized my boss has the same thing going on. I thought he was just a complete narcissist and a little weird, but his inability to accept anyone else's opinions combined with complete lack of social awareness multiplied by his short fuse of a temper and irrational frustration with people has me thinking it's definitely Asperger's.

Sorry to hear about the sysadmin job. Just keep trying, I went to a couple dozen job interviews before I landed this one. There's a lot of crazy poo poo out there and even more unrealistic expectations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, I would love to have a tiny commute too, but if it's a choice between a longer commute and unemployment...

It's not that I'm wanting to walk ten feet away from my front door and be at work. I don't mind driving. But everyone seems to keep forgetting that I've got a family.

I've got kids that I need to get ready in the morning. I've got kids that I need to drop off at daycare. I've got kids that I need to pick up from daycare.

Daycare opens at 7:30, so that gives me less than 30 minutes to get to my job. Daycare closes at 5:30, which gives me less than thirty minutes to leave my job and pick them up.

I can do a 30 minute commute, max, and that's cutting it close every single day if everything goes exactly according to schedule.

I'm sure I can work something out with my wife or my kid's grandparents if a long commute becomes necessary, but it's something I'd rather avoid if possible.

Capiche?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I too have children and understand this struggle. You can always ask prospective employers how flexible they can be with scheduling.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Wilford Cutlery posted:

A ticket came in: Outlook is crashing

An employee sent out a company-wide email, a newsletter with graphics in it. Shortly after, we started getting calls from all over reporting that Outlook was crashing.

We determined that the message was causing Outlook to crash. I applied Windows & Office (2013) updates to one user's computer, rebooted, same issue.

Had all affected people delete the message either in Outlook (Safe Mode), or OWA, or on their smartphones. Outlook worked normally after that.

Now, to find why it only affected some people and not (for example) me.

Lynxifer posted:

You might want to check out if you've installed KB3097877, apparently this is causing the issue you've outlined

go3 posted:

Yeah this is exactly it.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Thanks! Looks like a strong case for the culprit.

Thanks, all. You saved us probably an hour of busywork this morning!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Apparently Microsoft pushed out a new version of that KB late last night to fix their first mess. Haven't had time to test it out yet but it should be fixed now.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Apparently Microsoft pushed out a new version of that KB late last night to fix their first mess. Haven't had time to test it out yet but it should be fixed now.

I tested at 9 this morning EST and it was still causing issues.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A ticket came in.

Subject: Computer 15
Body: Will turn on?

Sounds good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

jaegerx posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Potato Alley posted:

<bathrobecrew4lyfe>

Pajama Supremacy.

(I'm literally wearing a T-shirt, pajama pants and sandals right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

luminalflux posted:

I mean I put on a tshirt and basketball shorts. My neighbors can see right in to my living room.

You need to establish your supremacy over them. Game naked.

• Locked thread