Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

kelvron posted:

That poo poo is now trending on Facebook. gently caress this world.

Lol look at this melvin still using Facebook. Tsu/Twitter/Instagram (though insta is getting played out) is where it's at now, gramps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pathetic little tramp posted:

Lol look at this melvin still using Facebook. Tsu/Twitter/Instagram (though insta is getting played out) is where it's at now, gramps.

Only old people and sports personalities use Twitter.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
li

Casimir Radon posted:

So far none of you has been able to answer as to why these students couldn't have gone and had a diplomatic conversation with her to air their concerns. But that's noy as much fun as outrage mob, right?

literally a tone argument

Casimir Radon posted:

It's not a bad guess that they never tried, and immediately took to social media like their worthless generation likes to. A not insignificant number of millenials don't understand how to call 911 if they need help, there have been cases where they take it to Facebook instead. Telling someone face to face that they've offended you is so completely alien to them that they'd rather whip everyone into a frenzy and try to bully someone out of their position.

I'm not saying there isn't a great deal of racism in America, or at Yale. But the way these students have acted is childish as gently caress.

literally "kids these days"

Swan Oat posted:

The guy who poo poo on the cop car is an American hero

cop car-shitter and the guy who threw the tear gas grenade back and never dropped his chips for the new dynamic duo

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Who says she hasn't. With so much screaming and bitching who knows what has actually taken place since. Maybe communicating with each other like adults is a better way?

Hahah, yeah dog gently caress acts of civil disobedience and protest as a tool for social change.

"Uh yeah, look, we get it, you want to eat lunch at the Woolworths but you need to be an adult and get out of the chair, all y'all sitting there and yelling isnt a DIALOGUE. If you werent so upity MAYBE things would change."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
The situation at Yale is about more than two emails over Halloween. That just happened to be a flash point for other issues on campus, including a Fraternity having a "Whites Only" party.

The students held a gathering to express their support for students over the various issues on campus that had occurred over the Halloween weekend. During their gathering, they spoke with Jonathan Holloway, the college they were in's first black dean and asked him to speak out on racial issues and to address the email controversy, which upper Administration had yet to do. The students aren't protesting about an email and they aren't being unreasonable. They are expressing their desires to be treated equally, fairly, and for administration to begin addressing in a meaningful way, institutionalized racism.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

literally a tone argument

Dude, she wrote an incredibly banal email that is at absolute worst a bit ignorant. It is not a "tone" argument to complain about a lynch mob after her job.

If you read that email and thought this is the person we need to go after you are living such a wonderfully sheltered life that I can only hope the rest of us can join you some time.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Hahah, yeah dog gently caress acts of civil disobedience and protest as a tool for social change.

"Uh yeah, look, we get it, you want to eat lunch at the Woolworths but you need to be an adult and get out of the chair, all y'all sitting there and yelling isnt a DIALOGUE. If you werent so upity MAYBE things would change."

Yes, this is exactly like the civil rights era.

Maybe go read the email. My Aunt uploads more offensive poo poo to Facebook on an hourly basis than this woman has probably thought in her entire life.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Dude, she wrote an incredibly banal email that is at absolute worst a bit ignorant. It is not a "tone" argument to complain about a lynch mob after her job.

If you read that email and thought this is the person we need to go after you are living such a wonderfully sheltered life that I can only hope the rest of us can join you some time.

There isn't a "lynch mob" after her.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The real lynching is black people not wanting to be taught by a woman who says it's okay to be racist one night a year

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I would've watched that version of the Purge

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The situation at Yale is about more than two emails over Halloween. That just happened to be a flash point for other issues on campus, including a Fraternity having a "Whites Only" party.

The students held a gathering to express their support for students over the various issues on campus that had occurred over the Halloween weekend. During their gathering, they spoke with Jonathan Holloway, the college they were in's first black dean and asked him to speak out on racial issues and to address the email controversy, which upper Administration had yet to do. The students aren't protesting about an email and they aren't being unreasonable. They are expressing their desires to be treated equally, fairly, and for administration to begin addressing in a meaningful way, institutionalized racism.

This would explain a lot, but I haven't seen anything on the controversy beyond "PC gone mad!" arguments over that one email. Do you have a link to more info on this?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Nolanar posted:

This would explain a lot, but I haven't seen anything on the controversy beyond "PC gone mad!" arguments over that one email. Do you have a link to more info on this?

The Vox Explainer does a good job of laying it out -- for Vox -- but here you go: http://www.vox.com/2015/11/7/9689330/yale-halloween-email

The latter part of the story does a better job of explaining the whole thing.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It's not about Halloween costumes — it's not even entirely about Yale — and if you read the student response as strictly about Halloween costumes, then of course it's going to look like an overreaction. If you can't get that, then this discussion is never going to be productive.

Christiakis was trying to make a measured and broad point about the value of free speech and discussion of difficult or potentially offensive topics. Her e-mail was, in part, a reaction to recent policies coddling undergrads as if they're all victims that are a hair away from a massive traumatic breakdown, or shutting down discussion entirely on tough issues in order to establish a party line — like when you get student protests over rather benign commencement speakers, like Condoleezza Rice, Robert Birgeneau, Michael Johnston, etc.

Unfortunately, that response by Christiakis was tone-deaf as gently caress, because she was launching into the topic of systemic racism in the US and on college campuses, which does happen to be a giant real problem that needs real institutional responses and which is being actively discussed nationwide. She was telling students of color that if they feel they're being discriminated against, it's their job to engage that person (or deal with it), and it's not the job of the institution to set and enforce rules about it. That's hosed up, and it's wrong. Minority students should not be saddled with the job of asking their white peers to treat them with respect.

It's not really appropriate to call for the Christiakis' heads, but these are undergrads, for most of them this is among their first forays into activism, and it's a learning process.

jackofarcades posted:

When someone responds to an email saying "don't wear blackface" with "what about a little girl wanting to be Mulan???" you are being intellectually dishonest and we can't have a calm, intellectual dialog about you. You're being a willfully dense shithead so you can defend racist costumes.

I don't think that's true. I think she was accidentally dense and paid a price for it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Combed Thunderclap posted:

He kind of has a Lex Luthor look without the hair.

Is this a real picture? I feel like Trump has structured his entire life to avoid having this picture taken

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

Is this a real picture? I feel like Trump has structured his entire life to avoid having this picture taken

Sure! Donald Trump went out one day without his wig on, and despite being in a big room with a lot of other people, somehow only one picture was taken and made it onto the internet

also his nose has a weird circle around it where the color doesn't blend into his cheeks

but its obviously real

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
http://crooksandliars.com/2015/11/ben-carson-warns-free-college-will-destroy

I mean yeah, Ben Carson is funny and all but seriously he can go gently caress himself.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Nah, it's got that weird lighting thing going on that looks like someone boosted the brightness on the picture of Trump in order to make it fit better with whoever's bald dome that is. I doubt he's ever clipped it and gone totally baldo, even if his incredibly wishful attempts at concealing his MPB with his remaining hair are rather garish up close.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Nah, it's got that weird lighting thing going on that looks like someone boosted the brightness on the picture of Trump in order to make it fit better with whoever's bald dome that is. I doubt he's ever clipped it and gone totally baldo, even if his incredibly wishful attempts at concealing his MPB with his remaining hair are rather garish up close.

I'm pretty sure that's Patrick Stewart's head. I don't know why I can recognize that.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Eschers Basement posted:

Sure! Donald Trump went out one day without his wig on, and despite being in a big room with a lot of other people, somehow only one picture was taken and made it onto the internet

also his nose has a weird circle around it where the color doesn't blend into his cheeks

but its obviously real

Yes weird maybe but you already said it was real so no need to second guess it.

Wiggate 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Eschers Basement posted:

but its obviously real

What would his nose have to do with anything

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He needs to smell his poo poo

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Eschers Basement posted:

but its obviously real

Ladies and gentlemen, Sherlock Holmes!

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

An attempt to un-poo poo this thread a bit: Recent veterans are probably voting more Republican than veterans have historically. I'll excerpt the good stuff for y'all:

quote:

Recent exit polls suggest that veterans tilt Republican, but that does not tell the whole story.

In recent decades, most veterans did identify and vote more with the Republican Party than did non-veterans–but that’s because they were older, whiter, and almost all male, not because of their time in the military. Older white men are more Republican, so to say that veterans skewed to the right was to say that older white men skew right.

During the 2004 presidential election, veterans turned away from Vietnam veteran John Kerry immediately after the infamous Swift Boat ad–but by Election Day, veterans voted no differently than did the overall electorate, controlling for demographics (and Latino veterans were particularly likely to support Kerry).

But that might be changing. Recent work by Jonathan Klingler and Tyson Chatagnier shows that by 2006, veterans held more conservative political views and tilted toward the GOP. Why? What can explain changes to veterans’ attitudes?

To try to get an answer, we analyzed the 2008 and 2012 Cooperative Congressional Election Study surveys...

We found that military service did move the needle to the right, even after controlling for age and other demographic factors. Veterans in general were more likely to vote for John McCain and Mitt Romney, more likely to call themselves Republicans, more likely to hold conservative positions on the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” repeal, and more likely to dislike Obamacare. About half of non-veteran men voted for Obama, but only about 35 percent of male veterans voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012.

We do not believe the candidates’ military biographies explain this recent veteran tendency to vote for and identify with the Republican Party.

A closer look at which veterans exhibit distinctive attitudes reveals that recent, younger veterans are more likely to be Republicans and vote for GOP candidates. We ran a statistical model that examined veteran attitudes and vote choice for each decade of age. While veterans in their 20s are not numerous—only about 6 percent of American men this age served—they are particularly likely to prefer and identify with Republicans.

Speculation as to why and warnings about taking their research as definitive in the article, as well as some examples and graphics I cut. Would be interesting to see the data after the 2016 elections; if their conclusions are further borne out there is a lot of room for sociological study of veterans' orgs' and current-service institutions' political affiliation and proselytizing.

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if the cause/effect were reversed, that the GOP's politicization of the military has tainted the idea of enlisting for anyone who isn't already right-of-center.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Veterans are from the military which is now just jam packed full of right wingers, doesn't seem that complicated.

^^^^^^^ Exactly. I'm liberal as hell and my dad's a veteran but there is no loving way I'm ever going to let my son join the military if I have any say in it.

It's politicized enough I automatically assume most soldiers are shitheads. Sorry, I know it's not true.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
What ever happened to that "hearing protection" bill that was trying to remove suppressors from the NFA?

EDIT: nevermind. It's in committee waiting for approval.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alligator Horse posted:

An attempt to un-poo poo this thread a bit: Recent veterans are probably voting more Republican than veterans have historically. I'll excerpt the good stuff for y'all:

Speculation as to why and warnings about taking their research as definitive in the article, as well as some examples and graphics I cut. Would be interesting to see the data after the 2016 elections; if their conclusions are further borne out there is a lot of room for sociological study of veterans' orgs' and current-service institutions' political affiliation and proselytizing.

My immediate suspicion is that the most recent wars have been so politicized that the bias is in who enrolls in the military. The article notes that as a possibility but dismisses it for reasons I don't consider compelling - "Young men (and women) join the armed forces for many personal, career, financial, and civic reasons beyond ideology or politics." Sure, it's not the only reason people join but you only need a bias - and once you get that bias it can be self-reinforcing.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

greatn posted:

Veterans are from the military which is now just jam packed full of right wingers, doesn't seem that complicated.

Plenty of recent vets serve because of family ties to the military though, and that covers all kinds of spectra--especially for people with parents who served in Vietnam/grandparents in WWII. I know a handful personally who have fairly Left views relative to what I expect is the norm. The authors speculate some of it has to do with increasing party polarity, yes, but that doesn't seem an adequate explanation. Perhaps in the absence of a Just War narrative to ride off, current service is pared down to people who serve on account of "duty," stripped of any kind of geopolitical context; and people who would otherwise serve due to family history self-select out or even are told by their forebears not to participate.

evilweasel posted:

My immediate suspicion is that the most recent wars have been so politicized that the bias is in who enrolls in the military. The article notes that as a possibility but dismisses it for reasons I don't consider compelling - "Young men (and women) join the armed forces for many personal, career, financial, and civic reasons beyond ideology or politics." Sure, it's not the only reason people join but you only need a bias - and once you get that bias it can be self-reinforcing.

Yeah, I think the authors dismiss political bias too readily for the sake of the relevancy of their own research. Still would be interesting to find out what marginal changes in the experience between enlistment and discharge further drive this (possibly existing) trend.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Well yeah when you join up, you get surrounded by people telling you that democrats are weak on X, weak on Y, not real soldiers, always trying to cut funding. It's a pretty constant droning, it can start to wear, even if republicans are about 10x worse at war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

greatn posted:

^^^^^^^ Exactly. I'm liberal as hell and my dad's a veteran but there is no loving way I'm ever going to let my son join the military if I have any say in it.

It's politicized enough I automatically assume most soldiers are shitheads. Sorry, I know it's not true.

Its sad that this is incredibly true.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did you guys know that all of the reasons for the protest at Mizzou were made up? Did you also know that the kid doing the hunger strike comes from a family worth 20 million dollars and therefore can't know about being oppressed? So it really really was just a bunch of negroes getting all uppity!

- the American right

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Crain posted:

What ever happened to that "hearing protection" bill that was trying to remove suppressors from the NFA?

EDIT: nevermind. It's in committee waiting for approval.

Just wait til we get a Republican president again to pass this thing (or maybe just maybe the Bern???), then suppressors get recognized as being in common use, then the courts make California and all the other deep blue states allow them again pursuant to Heller. :mrgw:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

And the Air Force is basically a wing of a fundamentalist Christian church, too.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The military is disproportionately represented by white men from the Midwest and Southeast. The military doesn't make people conservative (I was conservative when I joined and well on my way to becoming liberal when I got out), military service is self-selecting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Just wait til we get a Republican president again to pass this thing (or maybe just maybe the Bern???), then suppressors get recognized as being in common use, then the courts make California and all the other deep blue states allow them again pursuant to Heller. :mrgw:

:qq: Because hearing protection. :qq:

And an NRA backed Judiciary.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

If they were controlling for age, I imagine that soldiers during the final draft era were probably more diverse than our likely self selecting population of soldiers as well.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

The military is disproportionately represented by white men from the Midwest and Southeast. The military doesn't make people conservative (I was conservative when I joined and well on my way to becoming liberal when I got out), military service is self-selecting.

They controlled for old 'n white in the study but I don't know if they compared veteran voting trends with some kind of geographical cross-tab.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Typical Pubbie posted:

Whites are underrepresented in the military compared to the general population, aren't they?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Alligator Horse posted:

They controlled for old 'n white in the study but I don't know if they compared veteran voting trends with some kind of geographical cross-tab.

Controlling for age isn't enough. Control for "young white male from a rural area" and I bet the voting trend is exactly where one would expect it to be.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Whites are underrepresented in the military compared to the general population, aren't they?

Noooo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-military-demographics-2014-8?op=1

quote:

The majority of active duty personnel are white at 70%, but white Americans are actually underrepresented in the military, as they represent 78% of the U.S. population.

:confused:

• Locked thread