Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

blueberrysmith posted:

Is there actually a point to building out settlements? I've been skilling up towards Local Leader but I'm starting to feel like that was a pointless endeavor since I just dump all my poo poo in the same place anyway. What's the point of supply lines in that case? Am I doing this all wrong? I don't really give a poo poo about building a pretty house, I just want to endlessly snipe things.

If you don't care about settlements, the game's never going to force them on you.

Local Leader lets you set up shops and stuff in your settlements, which I imagine can be helpful, but that's all I can think of that would really appeal to you there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pinely posted:

I think Bethesda's simplistic questing boils down to letting one character do it all. New Vegas had a ton of quests that, unless you meta gamed, had entire options locked out based on character build. Personally, I love that because it motivates me to try a different build next time for a different result.

I suspect that Bethesda doesn't want to have those bottlenecks, though. I think they know that a lot of players just want to be the God Emperor of the wasteland or skyrim or whatever. So quests can't be too fiddly with stat checks, the story can't be too self referential, there needs to be enough vagueness to let the player do almost everything.

It's a bummer, but their sandboxes are solid enough that I don't really mind the lack of depth. And there's always the hope that Obsidian will get a shot at it with the new features.

I would love to see what obsidian could do with the fallout 4 engine. New Vegas while kind of janky and filed with the standard Bethesda engine bugs made FO3 look like amateur hour.

Maybe a game set in and around the Pacific north? Seattle or Vancouver could make for interesting game spaces. Is that region talked about in any previous fallout game?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Know if anyone is working on a new OP with mods, hints, tips, tweaks, etc? Not nominating myself, just seems like one is needed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pinely posted:

I think Bethesda's simplistic questing boils down to letting one character do it all. New Vegas had a ton of quests that, unless you meta gamed, had entire options locked out based on character build. Personally, I love that because it motivates me to try a different build next time for a different result.

I suspect that Bethesda doesn't want to have those bottlenecks, though. I think they know that a lot of players just want to be the God Emperor of the wasteland or skyrim or whatever. So quests can't be too fiddly with stat checks, the story can't be too self referential, there needs to be enough vagueness to let the player do almost everything.

It's a bummer, but their sandboxes are solid enough that I don't really mind the lack of depth. And there's always the hope that Obsidian will get a shot at it with the new features.

Yeah, you're exactly right about the Bethesda approach: you have to be able to do everything and see every quest outcome with one character. I agree that I love and prefer the New Vegas/Obsidian method, but it's just not what Bethesda thinks makes a good game.

I wish I could share your hope that Obsidian will get another crack at it with this engine, but hell, Ubisoft didn't even contract them to make the new South Park game. I'm pretty sure Obsidian's out of the AAA development world at this point (aside from weird online games they're doing with that one Russian publisher), and even if they weren't, Bethesda clearly were not happy with how New Vegas turned out, so even if they do license out a pseudo-sequel to another developer, I don't think that developer would be Obsidian.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

PantsBandit posted:

But yeah you're probably just unlucky. It's dumb they didn't put percentages.

When I eventually go back for a big full game+dlc replay the first thing I'm doing is modding out the terrible persuasion checks. My F9 key is going to be worn out by the time I'm finished.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I want to build a settlement but I know that once I start building one I'm going to put wayyyyy too much time into it and never make another one. So every time I'm about to start I think "but what if I find a location I like more?!" and then I just go and do something else...

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
So far I haven't failed a persuasion check with my trusty suit, hat and fashionable glasses combo.

i am dapper

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I wish there was a way to abandon the small useless settlements and send everyone to my main small-city size settlement. I love base building but I much, much prefer to focus and upgrade a single super-settlement rather than build a dozen smaller ones linked by supply lines. The only bottleneck so far has been settlers, I need more to run all of the vendor stands in my Market district.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jeza posted:

So far I haven't failed a persuasion check with my trusty suit, hat and fashionable glasses combo.

i am dapper

I kind of like the "strap on a bunch of +CHA gear to pass speech checks" approach because I just sort of rationalize it as my dude cleaning up real nice.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Don't save in elevators, I saved my game in one of them and when I loaded it back up the elevator doors were closed and the button on the inside didn't do anything. I had to 'TCL' to get out of there. :saddowns:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, you're exactly right about the Bethesda approach: you have to be able to do everything and see every quest outcome with one character. I agree that I love and prefer the New Vegas/Obsidian method, but it's just not what Bethesda thinks makes a good game.

I wish I could share your hope that Obsidian will get another crack at it with this engine, but hell, Ubisoft didn't even contract them to make the new South Park game. I'm pretty sure Obsidian's out of the AAA development world at this point (aside from weird online games they're doing with that one Russian publisher), and even if they weren't, Bethesda clearly were not happy with how New Vegas turned out, so even if they do license out a pseudo-sequel to another developer, I don't think that developer would be Obsidian.

I never followed the development of new Vegas, can you go into more detail or link an article on this? Was there just a lot of bitterness between Bethesda and Obsidian or was Bethesda trying too hard to interfere with development?

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
The settlement stuff is hilarious to me because it makes it seem like John Fallout is the trash messiah of the Commonwealth. He gets thawed out, piles up a bunch of trashed airplane hulls, and gives everyone a bed and all the melon they can eat.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Harrow posted:

If you don't care about settlements, the game's never going to force them on you.

Local Leader lets you set up shops and stuff in your settlements, which I imagine can be helpful, but that's all I can think of that would really appeal to you there.

Aside from having local shops, is there literally no benefit? I'm so confused by their existence...

Side note, any advice on building a sniper?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Doc Morbid posted:

When do I get something to replace this hideous vault suit? I'm like 15 hours in, and the vault suit is still the only decent thing you can wear underneath the armor. I have some road leathers, which look cooler but have lovely stats and can't be upgraded so I'm not bothering with those. I suppose I could just put on the Silver Shroud coat again...

Looks like someone on Nexus made a black and gold recolor of the vault suit, which looks nicer than the default blue one but is only for female characters because :nexus:

I'm using a Minute Men outfit I found on someone. It has Perception and Agility built in, which is nice.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I keep doing stuff in this game and going. "man, witcher 3 did this better." I can't tell if I just don't enjoy this quest deisgn as much anymore or if I just got really spoiled by cdprojekt.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

blueberrysmith posted:

Aside from having local shops, is there literally no benefit? I'm so confused by their existence...

Side note, any advice on building a sniper?

It's pretty self explanatory honestly. Find a decent base weapon (I've been using the hunting rifle), then pick out a scope that you like. From there, you may want to craft some parts that give you +range or +accuracy. If you don't have the composite parts for your customizations, just tag them and do some adventuring. The basic upgrades (meaning not high-tech) rarely take anything particularly rare to create.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

In part, I have to blame voiced dialog and the four-choice dialog system. They could easily have worked in dialog choices that involve perks ("I'm a nuclear physicist, so I know about <thing>," "I'm an Idiot Savant so I can randomly figure out <thing>," "I'm very sneaky, so how about we don't go in guns blazing?"), but then they'd have to pick a different dialog input method and they'd have to record those lines, and then lines that respond to those.

I can't even blame voiced dialogue for that. Like when you're doing the SAFE test there are options specifically tied to certain skills except they don't require those skills. Voiced dialogue didn't prevent them from including a check where you Science-Babble at someone to get past a dialogue choice, they just... didn't tie to to having Science.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

^ Seriously? The gently caress is that all about? God damnit, Bethesda. (Are there at least decent endings this time around, unlike Fallout 3?)

blueberrysmith posted:

They can generate resources for you, too, and grow fruits and vegetables that you can turn into adhesive which is very useful. And they'll let you set up shops that you wouldn't have before. But beyond that I don't know what other benefits they offer. A new little toy to play around with, mostly. Eventually Preston Garvey gives you a flare gun that you can use to call in Minutemen as backup. I haven't used it yet, but it probably depends on you having a nearby settlement that you've built up.

EDIT: To add sniper advice: level Gun Nut so you can make suppressors, and Rifleman for huge rifle damage boosts. Get Sneak because it's good (I'm not taking it because I'm using energy weapons mostly and they can't be suppressed, so sneaking's kinda pointless for me, but for a sneaky sniper it's great). Note that perks that boost "critical hit" damage do not boost sneak attack damage--critical hits are a VATS thing this time, and sneak attacks are separate (so are headshots).

DeathSandwich posted:

I never followed the development of new Vegas, can you go into more detail or link an article on this? Was there just a lot of bitterness between Bethesda and Obsidian or was Bethesda trying too hard to interfere with development?

It didn't review well enough for Obsidian to get bonuses (1 point lower than the desired Metacritic score, no joke), and it all kind of went downhill from there. I don't know a lot of the details after that point, but I'd be really surprised if Bethesda wanted to work with Obsidian again (and vice-versa).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

It didn't review well enough for Obsidian to get bonuses (1 point lower than the desired Metacritic score, no joke), and it all kind of went downhill from there. I don't know a lot of the details after that point, but I'd be really surprised if Bethesda wanted to work with Obsidian again (and vice-versa).

Obsidian themselves have stated that this is overblown and have expressed an interest in working on another Fallout game.

The Metacritic thing seems to have blown from "Obsidian didn't get a bonus they were expecting and really could have used" to some kind of bitter feud between the companies but I don't think there is anything backing that up and Bethesda certainly hasn't banned NV from Fallout Canon or whatnot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 12, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So overall is this game recommended?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
For those of you complaining about the writing, how can you hate on this:

quote:

I lost my son [sometime in the past 200 years]. Have you seen anyone with a baby boy?

Has anyone seen a male child in the past 200 years? Preston says he hasn't. How exactly are people reproducing in the future?

You seem to have to invest quite a bit in shops to not get much benefit. I built a level 2 goods store, level 2 weapon shop, level 2 armor shop, top level food store, top level clinic, and every day or two I get 40 caps in my workbench for the 5000 or so I've put into it. I have supply lines linking my 14 settlements and at least 60 settlers. When do I get rich?!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Has anyone figured out the exact persuade system yet? Is it just CHA?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jeza posted:

Anybody in UK/EU had problems opening console? Tilde doesn't work for me, and I've tried changing keyboard layout to US. Am I missing something I need to do in an .ini file or what?

It's the apostrophe key.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Obsidian themselves have stated that this is overblown and have expressed an interest in working on another Fallout game.

Oh, fair enough. Then I guess the ball is in Bethesda's court. I guess I can't imagine Obsidian would turn down the opportunity to work on this series anyway.

I guess I just hope Bethesda wants another pseudo-sequel then!

peter gabriel posted:

Did you like Fallout 3? If so, you will like Fallout 4, probably for many of the same reasons. It improves on a lot of things there and the shooting and exploring are fun. Gun crafting is neat and the companions are well-written.

Remora posted:

Just CHA, straight-up. You can pass checks pretty easily with even 2 or 3 CHA by just putting on +CHA gear and using +CHA chems. It's still a random roll, though, so you can even fail easy checks if you get unlucky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Remora posted:

It is straight CHA with some minor modifiers from Black Widow/Lady Killer. At 10 CHA I don't think it's literally possible to fail a charisma check.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've figured it out: Fallout 4 is Rage if Rage was a good game. With all the positives and negatives that implies.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

hi peter!

i would recommend it if you like base building and looting and killing stuff

if you primarily liked the dialogue in Fallout games and stuff, no, i would not recommend it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One more nice thing about Fallout 4:

My girlfriend is from Boston and has been watching me play. She's been pretty impressed with how well Bethesda translated what Boston's actually laid out and looks like to the game. Obviously it's both alt-history and post-apocalyptic and compressed to fit in a video game, but I'll take her word for it that they did a good job making it actually feel like (totally ruined) Boston.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

For anyone having adhesive shortages, make sure to plant Corn and Mutfruit in the settlements you build from the ground up. The farms have a ton of Tato's already. Hell, you should probably tear out all the other crops too, once you're food secure.

Has anyone figured out the behavior for settlers actually harvesting food? Once assigned, do they put the crops in storage when they're ready or what?

Harrow posted:

One more nice thing about Fallout 4:

My girlfriend is from Boston and has been watching me play. She's been pretty impressed with how well Bethesda translated what Boston's actually laid out and looks like to the game. Obviously it's both alt-history and post-apocalyptic and compressed to fit in a video game, but I'll take her word for it that they did a good job making it actually feel like (totally ruined) Boston.

I live in Boston, and the Charles River feels pretty spot on. The rest of it seems pretty thrown together, but that's how Boston actually is. I'm not sure how much credit they deserve.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 12, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

I live in Boston, and the Charles River feels pretty spot on. The rest of it seems pretty thrown together, but that's how Boston actually is. I'm not sure how much credit they deserve.

Ha, maybe that's what makes it a good Fallout setting. Throw poo poo together and it'll probably feel about right.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Don't go activating random air siren towers guys, or this fellow might show up.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Harrow posted:

..Bethesda clearly were not happy with how New Vegas turned out..

Just out of curiosity what makes you say that?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

peter gabriel posted:

Eh, it's okay. Don't buy it for full AAA video game price but do check it out if you liked FO3 or NV.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

At 10 CHA I don't think it's literally possible to fail a charisma check.

I'm at 10 and have failed a single red persuasion check out of the 7-8 of them I have done. It's possible for sure but it doesn't seem *too* common.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Prophecy120 posted:

I wish there was a way to abandon the small useless settlements and send everyone to my main small-city size settlement. I love base building but I much, much prefer to focus and upgrade a single super-settlement rather than build a dozen smaller ones linked by supply lines. The only bottleneck so far has been settlers, I need more to run all of the vendor stands in my Market district.

I mean you basically can?

The majority of settlements boil down into three main groups.

- Prebuilt, just nobody lives there. All they need is a Recruitment Tower set up, and some amenities you care about, and they'll be good to go.

- Totally barren buildings.

- Quest given settlements that are just missing 1 thing to be self sufficient. That thing is usually machine guns.

What I've been doing is, for those quest settlements, I'll just set up a bunch of defenses for them, then leave them alone. They don't really need more people moving in, and I don't really care about them outside of the fact they exist. Same for the prebuilts, I'll just set up a radio tower and whatever they are missing, and I'll go on my merry way.

And then for the empty building like the Red Rocket/Drive In, I've turned them into pretty much mobile HQs for me. Tons of guns everywhere, workbenches, Power Armor benches, etc. I keep moving my Power Armor closer and closer to the area I haven't explored yet, so I have less distance to travel. Since my actual lands are covered with dudes with guns and machine guns, I run around my areas safely without the Power Armor, but then always use the Power Armor when I'm exploring "dangerous" stuff.

My biggest complaint honestly is that food/water don't transfer with supply lines. I am super excited for that inevitable mod. I am getting so much water out of purifying Sanctuary's River, and between Tenpines and Abernathy, I'm overflowing with Food. Shame it's all focused into those specific places though!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Apparition posted:

Something that I was apparently wrong about!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tei posted:

I am still tryiing to understand this game. It feels like a Minecraft Mod. Maybe I am playing Minecraft Fallout Mod and nobody has told me.

I am not sure if I like that. For the first hours I wasted my time building a small outpost for my npc's, I was soo busy planting tomatoes for food, that I forgot if this game has a story.

I feel somewhat envious of all these people with cool fun companions, I only have the dog and some robot.

No it has loving nothing to do with Minecraft dude. Stop saying that. Its just the Hearthfire expansion from Skyrim combined with the weapon mods for New Vegas. Its that simple.

Its a very natural progression of Fallout and if you don't like it YOU CAN COMPLETELY IGNORE IT and just play the game like Fallout 3.

Seriously this is the stupidest thing to bitch about. "Optional mechanics?! I loving hate this poo poo!"

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So how exactly do the supply lines work? I sent one of my Settlers in Sanctuary as a Provisioner to Abernathy Farms and I notice he still counts as part of Sanctuary's population. Does he just walk back and forth between Sanctuary and Abernathy forever? What if I want to extend that supply line further on to Sunshine Tidings? Do I have to wait for another Settler to turn up and assign that to them or can one person handle multiple routes? Do I send the next one from Abernathy to Sunshine or from Sanctuary to Sunshine?

Really could have used some drat tutorials on this stuff Bethesda.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So it is a known bug that trying to VATS someone in the head with the laser rifle just shoots like 3 feet above their head and never hits, or is my poo poo broke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Apparition posted:

It's kind of a meme among a lot of people that "Man, Bethesda is so mad that Obsidian made a good game" or something. It's not the first time I've heard it, but I haven't really seen anything to verify it.

• Locked thread