Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

scuz posted:

This is why you get a live band who only do covers of well-known songs, or a playlist picked out by the couple getting hitched. Our reception is going to have something like this and my 5'4" will-be-my-wife-one-day will be taking the mic for Sabotage by the Beastie Boys. We're also doing this because we went to 6 weddings in one summer and they all followed the ceremony/dinner/reception/DJ progression and it was soooooooo booooooooooooooooring.

The last wedding I went to had a live band and they were loving great, smashed through a bunch of classics, some more contemporary stuff and kept everyone well entertained.

On the playlist picked by the couple though, some people ask for some truly bad music, poo poo that nobody wants to hear. If that's a 'must play' list then it usually gets played while people are eating with the volume down low. Trade secret there... ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Solution: get a ceilidh band with a good caller for the dancing. It's hilarious, no one needs to know the steps because they're all walked through everything, and everyone revels in the fact that no one is quite sure what they're doing, everyone's a bit tanked, and no one cares that everyone looks slightly silly.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Quick Fallout 4 diversion:
scuz's "I've played a few hours of fallout 4 on my PC and here are my initial impressions" review of fallout 4:

Buggy animation throughout, pathing issues, floaty mouse seems worse than fo3 or skyrim, controls are not friendly towards keyboards, vats slows time down instead of stopping it (making targeting things with the buggy hit boxes and floaty mouse very difficult), dialog options are severely limited, exploring is still fun, turning raiders into red mist is still fun, not terribly sold on the game yet. Might be better if you have a console, idk (since this is obviously a poorly-executed PC port).

88h88 posted:

The last wedding I went to had a live band and they were loving great, smashed through a bunch of classics, some more contemporary stuff and kept everyone well entertained.

On the playlist picked by the couple though, some people ask for some truly bad music, poo poo that nobody wants to hear. If that's a 'must play' list then it usually gets played while people are eating with the volume down low. Trade secret there... ;)
A few years ago, a bunch of people within the local music scene here got married, and the already-married and single dudes said "fuckit, we're starting a wedding band." They called themselves the Electric Party Authority and played like 3 weddings that year and since they were close friends with the all the brides and grooms, they came up with their own set lists and frickin' killed it every time.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have my first technically interview ever in 20 minutes and I'm all :derp:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Quick Fallout 4 diversion:
scuz's "I've played a few hours of fallout 4 on my PC and here are my initial impressions" review of fallout 4:

Buggy animation throughout, pathing issues, floaty mouse seems worse than fo3 or skyrim, controls are not friendly towards keyboards, vats slows time down instead of stopping it (making targeting things with the buggy hit boxes and floaty mouse very difficult), dialog options are severely limited, exploring is still fun, turning raiders into red mist is still fun, not terribly sold on the game yet. Might be better if you have a console, idk (since this is obviously a poorly-executed PC port).
A few years ago, a bunch of people within the local music scene here got married, and the already-married and single dudes said "fuckit, we're starting a wedding band." They called themselves the Electric Party Authority and played like 3 weddings that year and since they were close friends with the all the brides and grooms, they came up with their own set lists and frickin' killed it every time.

If you got it on PC, give it time. Mods will take care of most of what you just listed.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tusen Takk posted:

They're no fun, but you'll be fine! The last tech interview I had was a miserable failure on my part cuz I was nervous but they gave me the job anyway due to my personable nature and good looks resiliency in the face of certain doom.

CommieGIR posted:

If you got it on PC, give it time. Mods will take care of most of what you just listed.
:( I just wish AAA titles would get it right the first time. I'll probably dump a few more hours in this evening. Last night's session ended abruptly due to me and dogmeat getting murdered by a bomb that flew out of nowhere with no warning. Made me say "fuckit" and go back to my favorite game: f5'ing craigslist for junkers.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Tusen Takk posted:

Don't be spergy and you'll be fine... oh wait.

Better luck next time.

(seriously, good luck. you'll do fine.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

:( I just wish AAA titles would get it right the first time. I'll probably dump a few more hours in this evening. Last night's session ended abruptly due to me and dogmeat getting murdered by a bomb that flew out of nowhere with no warning. Made me say "fuckit" and go back to my favorite game: f5'ing craigslist for junkers.

That's my favorite game too! No luck, not many old Audis around anymore :smith:

Bethesda is one of the better ones considering the depth of the games they make. I'm willing to overlook their bugs as they usually at least come back around and do a good patch session.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CommieGIR posted:

That's my favorite game too! No luck, not many old Audis around anymore :smith:

Bethesda is one of the better ones considering the depth of the games they make. I'm willing to overlook their bugs as they usually at least come back around and do a good patch session.

Man, years of VW ownership must have taken a toll on you if you're lauding Bethesda games as "one of the better ones".

I need to find some SA nerd's YouTube channel and link some garbage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Man, years of VW ownership must have taken a toll on you if you're lauding Bethesda games as "one of the better ones".

:confused: They are an award winning studio with a very high profile portfolio and I've loved every game they put out. Between them, Blizzard, and Valve, they are one of the few companies I'm willing to pay full price for a game from.

And bug wise: The amount of coding in these games is IMMENSE, its really not possible to work all the kinks out in a reasonable time without missing your launch date or having the project closed for overrunning its budget.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

:confused: They are an award winning studio with a very high profile portfolio and I've loved every game they put out. Between them, Blizzard, and Valve, they are one of the few companies I'm willing to pay full price for a game from.

And bug wise: The amount of coding in these games is IMMENSE, its really not possible to work all the kinks out in a reasonable time without missing your launch date or having the project closed for overrunning its budget.

While I agree on both points, I'm just tired of relying on the modding community to fix buggy games.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
MGS5 just issued a patch to fix an issue where if you're zooming in binoculars while an online match is ending, it'll crash the client (probably a wild pointer or something that didn't get cleaned up or checked properly). So glad I don't work in testing for those games.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

While I agree on both points, I'm just tired of relying on the modding community to fix buggy games.

Its mostly because the general public is more random in finding bugs than QA.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
AND ANOTHER THING

This floaty mouse bullshit really bothers me when the game defaults to first-person. Valve's mouse poo poo is tight, why isn't anyone else's? :colbert:

CommieGIR posted:

Its mostly because the general public is more random in finding bugs than QA.
This is a sad truth and it's why beta testing should be much wider and longer. But therein lies a stronger chance for content leaks and piracy so I understand why that doesn't happen. No system is perfect, we all must live with it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CommieGIR posted:

I think that Bethesda should tout bugs and physics breaking as one of the bullet points on the box.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

scuz posted:

AND ANOTHER THING

This floaty mouse bullshit really bothers me when the game defaults to first-person. Valve's mouse poo poo is tight, why isn't anyone else's? :colbert:
This is a sad truth and it's why beta testing should be much wider and longer. But therein lies a stronger chance for content leaks and piracy so I understand why that doesn't happen. No system is perfect, we all must live with it.

Or just wait a while, get the re-release bug fixed gold version for less than half price.
(by then someone may have upgraded their ancient radeon 4770)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Most of the UI issues you quote are common to every Bethesda game and can be made more tolerable via console commands. Game looks a lot better once you fix the FOV to normal FPS levels and not console defaults for playing on a big screen TV.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Maybe start selling games in Beta with the emphasis on bug reporting. Just crowd-source the whole thing, and offer a discount for bugs found.

Like Steam's Greenlight.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 12, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CommieGIR posted:

This is why I'm waiting a while to get this. Maybe it will be on a Black Friday sale or something, otherwise I'll just let it mature a bit since I don't have much time to play right now anyway.

It really sucks that they don't port to PC properly (the unfriendly to PC controls, etc.) with a big title like this.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

its really not possible to work all the kinks out in a reasonable time without missing your launch date or having the project closed for overrunning its budget.

The corrected version for the gaming industry:

It's really not possible to work all the kinks out in a reasonable time when you rely on 'free QA' from the public for a huge part of your testing, and treat your internal QA team members like dog-poo poo, and pay them minimum wage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

This is why I'm waiting a while to get this. Maybe it will be on a Black Friday sale or something, otherwise I'll just let it mature a bit since I don't have much time to play right now anyway.

It really sucks that they don't port to PC properly (the unfriendly to PC controls, etc.) with a big title like this.

That's.....kinda the issue. Its different from the Xbox 360/PS3 days.

Basically: With the PS4/Xbox One, development no longer has to cross platforms as much as the Consoles they are targeting already implement x86-64 compiled code, so they can more accurately target a release that can go out for PC and Console all at the same time with a minimum of cross platform development time.

So, what we're seeing is the teething of the end of platform specific development.

The Locator posted:

It's really not possible to work all the kinks out in a reasonable time when you rely on 'free QA' from the public for a huge part of your testing, and treat your internal QA team members like dog-poo poo, and pay them minimum wage.

This too, exactly. QA tends to bleed talent fast due to their treatment, which means people who might gain experience at bug hunting get forced out, leaving an under-talented and under appreciated QA team to find progressively more and more bugs as development titles become larger and more intensely coded.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Locator posted:

The corrected version for the gaming industry:

QA in all of software that _isn't_ games is a real profession. People are treated like professionals and paid as such. The video games industry is so rear end-backwards, it's insane.

scuz posted:

They're no fun, but you'll be fine! The last tech interview I had was a miserable failure on my part cuz I was nervous but they gave me the job anyway due to my personable nature and good looks resiliency in the face of certain doom.

Oh I loving love technical interviews. I get, like, an interview high. I wish there was a job that was just solving fun problems all day.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

interview went alright, they were cool and one of the guys interviewing me happened to be a friend of mine

that being said I was doing great until the asked me to explain polymorphism and I froze because lol

anyways they told me they do crypto for FCA (Fiat Chrysler) and they do it in Java so maybe that was god grabbing my tongue so I wouldn't be tempted to do it lmao

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

This too, exactly. QA tends to bleed talent fast due to their treatment, which means people who might gain experience at bug hunting get forced out, leaving an under-talented and under appreciated QA team to find progressively more and more bugs as development titles become larger and more intensely coded.

Safety Dance posted:

QA in all of software that _isn't_ games is a real profession. People are treated like professionals and paid as such. The video games industry is so rear end-backwards, it's insane.

I'm a QA person professionally, which is why I hate the gaming industry in this area, and why I refuse to actually beta test games for free (been there, done that when I was younger).

My company actually treats QA as a primary career path for people who aren't interested in management or coding, and we are only 1 pay grade down from the actual devs. The top 'grade' for single contributor QA in my company currently tops out well north of $130k (not that I think anyone is actually getting paid that much, it's hard to get from mid-point to the cap), but the mid-point of the top grade is well into 6 figures. The bare minimum for an Analyst I is over 40k, and we never hire anyone at the bottom grade.

I can't help but wonder how much better the quality of game releases would be if they employed actual career level QA people and allowed them to work closely with the dev team.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

scuz posted:

Bethesda.txt or gamebryo.txt (same thing really)

Have you done the mouse fix stuff?
http://files.shanelenzen.com/fix-fallout-4.html

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 12, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I get to train the new guy i hired today, should be interesting. The whole night will consist of "Don't strangle the idiot drunks" pretty much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Galler posted:

Bethesda.txt

:vince:

I had no idea why it seemed so hard to mouse-aim, thank you so much for posting this. I'm loving the game even though I'm getting my rear end handed to me early on by the raiders in the Corvega plant, probably in no small part due to this. I also can't rely too well on VATS since my character has so few AP :saddowns:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Galler posted:

It's unbelievable to me that they didn't do these tiny ini changes to the PC version. Just boggles the mind.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Everyone is playing Fallout 4 and I am playing the new COD on my 360 like a scrub. :(

Anyone have expetience doing CAD for a living? Only thing I can see myself going back to school for at the moment...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cage posted:

Don't be mad at stoners, they're probably 1/3 of your business and they tip well because math is hard.

The sad thing is that this was a sober adult. He apparently gave the driver a dollar and then spent 5 minutes complaining about how expensive things are.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Everyone is playing Fallout 4 and I am playing the new COD on my 360 like a scrub. :(

Anyone have expetience doing CAD for a living? Only thing I can see myself going back to school for at the moment...
AutoDesk, or CAD?

Great Beer posted:

The sad thing is that this was a sober adult. He apparently gave the driver a dollar and then spent 5 minutes complaining about how expensive things are.
I've also never met a stoner who tips well. Don't know many nowadays, but when I was younger and dumber that was pretty much my crowd.

Galler posted:

loving. Awesome. Thanks, dude, this will feel much less like I'm fighting the game to try to make things happen!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Dude, do you REALLY not have a brother that lives in my area? Cause every time this guy delivers me a sandwich, i nearly end the conversation with "Thanks (SuperAggroCrag)!".

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

scuz posted:

I've also never met a stoner who tips well. Don't know many nowadays, but when I was younger and dumber that was pretty much my crowd.
When I had my own place and made frequent delivery calls I always tipped at least $5 and made sure I never needed any change back because that would be too confusing for me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CommieGIR posted:

That's.....kinda the issue. Its different from the Xbox 360/PS3 days.

Basically: With the PS4/Xbox One, development no longer has to cross platforms as much as the Consoles they are targeting already implement x86-64 compiled code, so they can more accurately target a release that can go out for PC and Console all at the same time with a minimum of cross platform development time.

So, what we're seeing is the teething of the end of platform specific development.

Let's just be thankful that we're past the point where developers used an arbitrary code execution bug to patch their games by overflowing the EULA datagram buffer.

This is a thing that happened.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Let's just be thankful that we're past the point where developers used an arbitrary code execution bug to patch their games by overflowing the EULA datagram buffer.

This is a thing that happened.

Wait, what? Story?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had no idea why it seemed so hard to mouse-aim, thank you so much for posting this. I'm loving the game even though I'm getting my rear end handed to me early on by the raiders in the Corvega plant, probably in no small part due to this. I also can't rely too well on VATS since my character has so few AP :saddowns:

Corvega was pretty hard for me. I ended up throwing a lot of grenades.

Little sad you can't use VATS for grenades anymore.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm only 5 hours in, but where are all the merchants/traders in FO4? I didn't plan on any crafting/smithing skills, so I have tons of extra guns I was hoping to dump for cash to buy better weapons with.
Is the game that focused using the weapons bench?

Also, that one voice actor who pronounced Quincy as Quin-cee instead of Quin-zee ruined my immersion.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CommieGIR posted:

Wait, what? Story?

Jonathan Garrett, Insomniac Games

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal was an online title that shipped without the ability to patch either code or data. Which was unfortunate.

The game downloads and displays an End User License Agreement each time it's launched. This is an ascii string stored in a static buffer. This buffer is filled from the server without checking that the size is within the buffer's capacity.

We exploited this fact to cause the EULA download to overflow the static buffer far enough to also overwrite a known global variable. This variable happened to be the function callback handler for a specific network packet. Once this handler was installed, we could send the network packet to cause a jump to the address in the overwritten global. The address was a pointer to some payload code that was stored earlier in the EULA data.

Valuable data existed between the real end of the EULA buffer and the overwritten global, so the first job of the payload code was to restore this trashed data. Once that was done things were back to normal and the actual patching work could be done.

One complication is that the EULA text is copied with strcpy. And strcpy ends when it finds a 0 byte (which is usually the end of the string). Our string contained code which often contains 0 bytes. So we mutated the compiled code such that it contained no zero bytes and had a carefully crafted piece of bootstrap asm to un-mutate it.

By the end, the hack looked like this:

1. Send oversized EULA
2. Overflow EULA buffer, miscellaneous data, callback handler pointer
3. Send packet to trigger handler
4. Game jumps to bootstrap code pointed to by handler
5. Bootstrap decodes payload data
6. Payload downloads and restores stomped miscellaneous data
7. Patch executes

Takeaways: Include patching code in your shipped game, and don't use unbounded strcpy.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/194772/dirty_game_development_tricks.php

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Jonathan Garrett, Insomniac Games

Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal was an online title that shipped without the ability to patch either code or data. Which was unfortunate.

The game downloads and displays an End User License Agreement each time it's launched. This is an ascii string stored in a static buffer. This buffer is filled from the server without checking that the size is within the buffer's capacity.

We exploited this fact to cause the EULA download to overflow the static buffer far enough to also overwrite a known global variable. This variable happened to be the function callback handler for a specific network packet. Once this handler was installed, we could send the network packet to cause a jump to the address in the overwritten global. The address was a pointer to some payload code that was stored earlier in the EULA data.

Valuable data existed between the real end of the EULA buffer and the overwritten global, so the first job of the payload code was to restore this trashed data. Once that was done things were back to normal and the actual patching work could be done.

One complication is that the EULA text is copied with strcpy. And strcpy ends when it finds a 0 byte (which is usually the end of the string). Our string contained code which often contains 0 bytes. So we mutated the compiled code such that it contained no zero bytes and had a carefully crafted piece of bootstrap asm to un-mutate it.

By the end, the hack looked like this:

1. Send oversized EULA
2. Overflow EULA buffer, miscellaneous data, callback handler pointer
3. Send packet to trigger handler
4. Game jumps to bootstrap code pointed to by handler
5. Bootstrap decodes payload data
6. Payload downloads and restores stomped miscellaneous data
7. Patch executes

Takeaways: Include patching code in your shipped game, and don't use unbounded strcpy.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/194772/dirty_game_development_tricks.php

:catstare: Jesus loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Holy poo poo!

• Locked thread