Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Gecnan posted:

Maybe after they get out but being racist active duty is a quick way to not be active duty anymore. You have to depend on everyone and shorting somewhere what their due positive or negative gets noticed quick.

To be fair, plenty of people are able to separate their thinking such that they can simultaneously believe "Black people in general are lazy because black culture promotes laziness/thuggery" and "Sgt. Johnson? Oh no he's one of the good ones, he worked his rear end off to escape the cycle of black poverty unlike those other blacks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Laying aside the overarching fact that it's a victimless possession crime...

Wearing ear plugs + a suppressor does more good than wearing ear plugs without a suppressor. 135db hearing damage while hunting is also less hurtful than 140+ damage. Not all ear injury is the same, so stop acting like there's no point in trying.

According to some of my father's friends who served back in the 60's, they did marksmanship qual without hearing protection to say nothing of in the field. :stonk: Are you really surprised to learn the military views soldiers as (somewhat) expendable?

Stop pretending that deregulating suppressors is about health and safety :allears:

Amergin posted:

To be fair, plenty of people are able to separate their thinking such that they can simultaneously believe "Black people in general are lazy because black culture promotes laziness/thuggery" and "Sgt. Johnson? Oh no he's one of the good ones, he worked his rear end off to escape the cycle of black poverty unlike those other blacks."

This happened. In the middle of a deployment in Afghanistan for me. We literally had a supervisor say something like this while at lunch with a bunch of 'the good ones' at the table while they watched a Fox News segment and he went off on a spiel about Welfare Queens.

Gecnan
Apr 26, 2008

I wouldn't know, other than outright listing your political party. Some people do like to speak about it, most don't because it's a rabbit hole and we have poo poo to do.

That sucks if the Air Force is jacked up but if you're in a shop and you witness something wrong why not address it. You aren't a civilian when you see a problem you fix it or report it to someone who can.

Navy relieves commanders and senior enlisted like no ones business at the hint of a loss of confidence to lead.

Anyway just wanted to list the demographics, I'm a fan of how the Navy generally functions well and it's diversity has contributed to that. From
What I've seen in my joint forces commands it was the same with the Marines, Army and Air Force.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

Stop pretending that deregulating suppressors is about health and safety :allears:

DeusExMachinima posted:

Laying aside the overarching fact that it's a victimless possession crime...

It's not just about health and safety.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

But, he really wants an American 00 designation.

A person who earnestly wants a gun silencer is a person that should never be allowed to own any gun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gecnan posted:

That sucks if the Air Force is jacked up but if you're in a shop and you witness something wrong why not address it. You aren't a civilian when you see a problem you fix it or report it to someone who can.

:ssh: Because its like living in a small town. You rock the boat, next thing you know you are kicked to the curb. I've pointed out that what they are saying is technically harassment/illegal only to get told to stop being a pussy.

The thing about the EOO stuff where you can report that is they eventually find out you are the one who told and it gets reflected in your EPR/OPR. And its actually pretty difficult to prove you are being retaliated against. Its why the DoD still has major Sexual Assault issues.

DeusExMachinima posted:

It's not just about health and safety.

Yeah, right.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nonsense posted:

I met a marine at a local bar, through an army reserve friend of mine, that openly boasted he killed at least one kid, and 3 other "durkadurkas". There's no way that all soldiers are like that, but I guess it was why my friend had to preface before meeting him "that the guy crazy hated the people over there, and might have killed a baby". I didn't believe him and this was about 2006. :stare:

I suspect being in combat causes a certain degree of racism: you've just killed people, your brain is going to be much, much happier with itself if those are bad people (and the more bad, the better), or even better if they're not really people. Sort of a coping mechanism.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

fknlo posted:

Did you guys know that all of the reasons for the protest at Mizzou were made up? Did you also know that the kid doing the hunger strike comes from a family worth 20 million dollars and therefore can't know about being oppressed? So it really really was just a bunch of negroes getting all uppity!

- the American right
This part of the talking point is both ironic (Republicans, saying gently caress the rich??) and idiotic. I mean, just to cite the most obvious example, loving Gandhi was born in a family with a lengthy, prestigious history of civil service in India, and lived a privileged childhood. I guess that means he didn't really know what suffering was too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

radical meme posted:

A person who earnestly wants a gun silencer is a person that should never be allowed to own any gun.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

radical meme posted:

But, he really wants an American 00 designation.

I personally don't. I'm not a hunter so they won't do me any good there. I double up on hearing protection at the range and would because of the other shooters even if I did have a silencer. I also have no interest in owning an AR15 but I'm sure you can surmise how I feel about AWBs.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Alligator Horse posted:

I wonder how hard it is for researchers to check on individuals' political affiliation (via voter registration). I feel like they could just check to see whether a statistically significant number of persons go from D reg. pre-enlistment to R reg. post-service to determine whether or not the actual institution affects change in political consciousness.

I went R pre-service to D post-service. Did enjoy listening to people rag on 'welfare' recipients who didn't understand, even after explaining to them, how absurd that line of thinking is.

Also, as mentioned, Navy is probably the most liberal branch and usually people with terrible opinions either get told to sit in the corner and color or that they are ridiculous and need to shut up.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

evilweasel posted:

I suspect being in combat causes a certain degree of racism: you've just killed people, your brain is going to be much, much happier with itself if those are bad people (and the more bad, the better), or even better if they're not really people. Sort of a coping mechanism.

Every single combat veteran I've met is like this. Unless they are broken people with drug and alcohol issues that can't cope at all.
I'm trying to think of one drat person I've met that has seen combat that doesn't fall into one of those two categories and I can't.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DeusExMachinima posted:

I personally don't. I'm not a hunter so they won't do me any good there. I double up on hearing protection at the range and would because of the other shooters even if I did have a silencer. I also have no interest in owning an AR15 but I'm sure you can surmise how I feel about AWBs.

This argument doesn't belong in the Politics thread because it is not now and it will not be a political argument for decades to come. You and the people who think like you have won the argument; you win, you get to keep your guns and you get to make all laws touching on guns for the foreseeable future. There is nobody currently running for President, or Governor or any legislative position that can do anything to change this. So why not accept your win with grace and shut the gently caress up about suppressors for you dick extension.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Don't be down like that. You've still got the Hughes Amendment and some state-level AWBs!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Like 3 out of 4 of the NCOS in my platoon were open Nazis or Kluxers. Had teutonic flags and poo poo, the whole deal.

So uh :v: To think there isn't racism in the military is hopelessly naive.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

LowellDND posted:

Like 3 out of 4 of the NCOS in my platoon were open Nazis or Kluxers. Had teutonic flags and poo poo, the whole deal.

So uh :v: To think there isn't racism in the military is hopelessly naive.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MOS 1488 scout sniper

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

same

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

Don't be down like that. You've still got the Hughes Amendment and some state-level AWBs!

Its just a slippery slope away from Obama seizing your guns, right?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Colorado is going to put universal health care on the ballot next year:

quote:

A plan to make Colorado the first state to opt out of the federal health law and replace it with universal health care, funded by the taxpayer, is going to be on the Colorado ballot in 2016.

Supporters of universal health care gathered 158,831 qualified signatures, which is more signatures than are required to put the measure on the ballot.

Backers of the measure say employers would pay around 7 percent of a worker's wages into the system. Workers would put around 3 percent into the system. Supporters say the plan would cost around $3 billion a year, but would save $9 billion.

Skeptics of the measure say costs would spiral out of control. It is likely the proposed measure will be discussed in the upcoming presidential election, since Colorado is a battleground state. Groups from both sides are likely going to invest a lot in order to advance the measure or defeat it.

If the ballot is passed, an entirely new government entity would be in charge of running the new health care program. Elected officials in 21 districts would be on the board and would be in charge of raising taxes to fund the new health care system.

Colorado is not the first state to attempt something like this. A few years ago, Vermont got support for a single payer health care system, but eventually the state admitted a large program couldn't be financed due to a lack of money.

If it actually passes we may need to annex Wyoming for space for everyone moving here, we already kinda do because of marijuana legalization

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Colorado, the shining city on a hill...

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

a shameful boehner posted:

Colorado is going to put universal health care on the ballot next year:

If it actually passes we may need to annex Wyoming for space for everyone moving here, we already kinda do because of marijuana legalization

I'd heard about Heathcare For All CO trying to get this on the ballot, but I hadn't heard they'd succeeded. Looks like I'll be doing a LOT of pavement-pounding next year - single-payer is my pet issue and seeing it enacted in CO is basically my political wet dream.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

You know there's zero chance of it passing because there will be a billion Koch dollars opposing it and just being on the ballot will bring every wingnut out to the polls

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
For those of you tut-tuting about Liberal PC Police: http://www.vox.com/2015/11/11/9715194/college-speech-censorship

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't Colorado to small of a state for single payer to work? I thought the risk pools just aren't big enough in almost any single state.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

evilweasel posted:

Society has hidden costs everywhere, ours is guilt or the enemy was other.

Our military has yet to come to terms with this.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I would make it a priority to move to CO if that passed.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It's a hell of a lot bigger than Vermont, with a much larger booming economy to boot, so I'd say it has a better shot of working than Vermont did.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finance UHC with all that weed money, duh.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
^^ It's going to school construction instead :eng101: (because we have some of the worst funding of public schools in the nation, thanks TABOR :pseudo: )

Luigi Thirty posted:

You know there's zero chance of it passing because there will be a billion Koch dollars opposing it and just being on the ballot will bring every wingnut out to the polls

well we did implement full legalization

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

I would make it a priority to move to CO if that passed.

As if we needed another reason to bitch about all the people moving here :rolleyes:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

evilweasel posted:

I'd like to see some evidence for this, if there is any at all that is.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

radical meme posted:

This argument doesn't belong in the Politics thread because it is not now and it will not be a political argument for decades to come. You and the people who think like you have won the argument; you win, you get to keep your guns and you get to make all laws touching on guns for the foreseeable future. There is nobody currently running for President, or Governor or any legislative position that can do anything to change this. So why not accept your win with grace and shut the gently caress up about suppressors for you dick extension.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

greatn posted:

Isn't Colorado to small of a state for single payer to work? I thought the risk pools just aren't big enough in almost any single state.
New York, California, Texas and Florida are probably all easily big enough. Trying it in a midsized state like Colorado would be an interesting experiment.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've heard they're promoting it here in NY (which should be big enough); not sure if we have ballot initiatives, so I think it's mostly a matter of getting the Republican Senate and the Governor on board, as the Assembly's passed it several times.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Teflon Don posted:

I'd like to see some evidence for this, if there is any at all that is.

It's basically using the principle of cognitive dissonance. People don't like holding two contradictory ideas in their head at once, and one idea most people have is "i am a good person". Ergo, if you do something that was bad, you are much more likely to start believing reasons why its actually not bad you did that. People think they're good people, good people don't kill other people, ergo if you killed someone you have a powerful push in your brain to make it OK you did that.

I don't know of any studies that have been done on that specific application of cognitive dissonance but the concept itself is very well demonstrated in studies.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nick Soapdish posted:

I went R pre-service to D post-service. Did enjoy listening to people rag on 'welfare' recipients who didn't understand, even after explaining to them, how absurd that line of thinking is.

Also, as mentioned, Navy is probably the most liberal branch and usually people with terrible opinions either get told to sit in the corner and color or that they are ridiculous and need to shut up.

I remember seeing a demographic chart of political beliefs for the various services (I don't think it included the Coast Guard, LOL). The Navy was the most liberal of all of them, though it still leaned slightly conservative.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

evilweasel posted:

It's basically using the principle of cognitive dissonance. People don't like holding two contradictory ideas in their head at once, and one idea most people have is "i am a good person". Ergo, if you do something that was bad, you are much more likely to start believing reasons why its actually not bad you did that. People think they're good people, good people don't kill other people, ergo if you killed someone you have a powerful push in your brain to make it OK you did that.

I don't know of any studies that have been done on that specific application of cognitive dissonance but the concept itself is very well demonstrated in studies.

Well I'm going to say it seems like a stretch.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Medicaid/care is one thing, but middle-class people's healthcare isn't my problem. So I guess I'm saying, good luck to CO or whatevs.

CommieGIR posted:

Its just a slippery slope away from Obama seizing your guns, right?

He tried so hard, and got so far, but in the eeeeend it doesn't even matter. :smug: http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/24/politics/obama-gun-laws-louisiana-shooting/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Everyone in Colorado is legally required to smoke weed now, and if you get high enough you become pro-UHC. It's going to pass and it's not going to be close.

• Locked thread