Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sonance posted:

Unless it's just Concord and other towns/cities actually have buildings you can enter? Seriously, I never had high expectations for this game, but every five minutes I'm encountering something that feels like a step backwards from previous Bethesda RPGs.

That's not any different from FO3 or NV. Some buildings are ruins; they're there for background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My AMD hardware encoding works just fine :chord:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

ISniper says + damage to non-automatic scoped rifles.

It doesn't say that. It adds a % chance to hit heads in VATS.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i cant wait for a mod with a good story

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold

DeathSandwich posted:

Also fun fact, I learned last night: if you gun bash am enemy to death there is a special animation of you pistol whipping / rifle butting them down to the ground that looks really good and painful. This apparently also works for melee and hand to hand weapons so long as you kill them with the rifle bash /grenade button instead of the regular attack. I may have to spec out for heavy guns and rifle bashing now. I'm kind of curious what the minigun bash looks like.

This is totally badass and the only time it happened to me was the Corvega plant, very cinematic. Outside crawling around the steel girders in some kind of control room, got swarmed by a group of raiders. Lining up a shot to take down the guy Dogmeat is grappling with, a raider runs in the way and takes a bunch of that buckshot in the arm. I'm reloading, but there's no time, so I mash melee and it goes into the finishing move. As I'm beating this guy to death with my shotgun I can see Dogmeat in the background silhouetted by the sun streaming in and snarling with this raider. It had a very desperate "scrabbling for survival after the end of the world" feel.

So far it's my favorite moment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

anatomi posted:

It's a really cool mechanic that you can't move for about a second after reloading. Really cool.

Has never once happened to me, HTH

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

King Vidiot posted:

Exactly my thoughts. And yeah, Obsidian using this game as a base would give me the hugest RPG boner, I can't even conceive of how loving good it would be.

Paging ropekid... :pray:

Man seriously, the game side of this thing is the best Bethesda has ever done. For me Skyrim was a huge amount of fun so I'm not going to say this is some great leap forward in that regard, but it's a definite step up. I don't even dislike the story and questing and character side of things - we've come a long way since Oblivion/FO3. But putting someone genuinely superb like Obsidian in charge of Fallout 4: New Portland or something would be just... if I ever preordered the most expensive special edition of a game, I think it'd be that.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I turned crosshairs off and the shooting feels pretty good. They did a decent job with the shooting this time round, I love the limb crippling effects. Try shooting the arms off a protectron!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sonance posted:

What's with all the buildings you can't even enter? Granted, I'm still only about 3 hours into the game and currently still dicking about with crafting in Sanctuary, but in Concord there's like 20-30 buildings and only about three or four of them are enterable (with 20 second load times each way on the PS4). I guess coming off a play through of Skyrim I've gotten used to the "if there's a building there's a way inside it" rule that over-emphasizes the issue in Fallout 4. Unless it's just Concord and other towns/cities actually have buildings you can enter? Seriously, I never had high expectations for this game, but every five minutes I'm encountering something that feels like a step backwards from previous Bethesda RPGs. Why is this game getting rated so highly? I mean, it's far from terrible so it gets a solid 7 from me so far. I guess all the "omg ten out of ten!!!" stuff comes later?

Boston? Its literally full of buildings you can enter. Its by far the most dense urban setting Bethesda has ever done. It makes F3 and NV both look like ramshackle outposts in the desert by comparison.

You've probably only explore the top north-west quadrant of the game, which is also fairly empty compared to the rest of the map. Its pretty big. Keep going.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Thanks to person who posted how to open console for UK, I wanted to mess with FOV. Was getting a little claustrophobic.

I'm like 10+ hours in and so far my weapon progression has mostly been finding better and better 10mm pistols. I have that fancy Laser Rifle quest reward which is pretty good too.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Archonex posted:

Edit: Also holy poo poo South Boston is a terrifying warzone if you sneak through it. There are roving gangs of mutants laying siege to raider hideouts, caravans get blown apart just outside of Diamond City, and every mob is a tank. Sneaking through it to the sound of the classical musical channel put a pretty fun tint to things though.

So basically it's a Southie simulator?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I could pick literally any open world game, play it for 40 hours, and have just as much footage of buggy poo poo going on as that guy had. He spends the first several minutes of the review going on and on about how glitchy the game is, "absurdly low textures" "extreme frame rate drops". And what really gets my goat is the whole "only Bethesda would get away with this" that sounds like he's just regurgitating overly dramatic bullshit he read online.

Open world games have bugs, it's not just Bethesda. And my mid-range PC has given me around 10 hours so far of a very playable game. It's just over the top.

Maybe I just give Bunnyhop the benefit of the doubt because I know that dude does his homework and has put out some very high-quality video games stuff, but I'm inclined to believe him if he says he's run into an inordinately large number of glitches. (To be fair, I have no idea what he's talking about with Skyrim--I'm pretty sure that game had just as much weirdness going on as Fallout 4, but maybe I'm misremembering.)

I think he's also comparing it to games like The Witcher 3 and MGSV, which, while they naturally have their own problems as well, present a degree of polish that no Bethesda game has ever really had. There are some weird texture issues going on, with them sometimes being really low resolution compared to other textures around them (someone has a fix floating around for that, I think). And some people are getting crazy frame rate drops when they aim down sights or go inside buildings. And of course it's not just Bethesda--New Vegas was far more broken than Fallout 3 on launch and that was developed with the benefit of looking at the issues Bethesda had encountered (and fixed) with Fallout 3. I can't blame Bethesda that much for New Vegas being a mess for several months after it released.

I do think Bethesda gets more of a pass on this kind of stuff (or, at least, they have in the past) than other developers. I don't think they'd get away with an AC: Unity-level debacle, but players on the whole are much more likely to forgive some awkwardness and bugginess from Bethesda games than from others.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has anyone tried using Hammock as a companion? He seems like he could be fun/interesting to run with, but I can't ditch my man Nick.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zaphod42 the developer dont care that you are defending this game like a preteen fanperson.

Calm your poo poo against any criticism against it. Its a great game despite being filled with tons of stupid bugs.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Exactly my thoughts. And yeah, Obsidian using this game as a base would give me the hugest RPG boner, I can't even conceive of how loving good it would be.

Paging ropekid... :pray:

Or just use the Eternity engine and do it properly top-down instead of doing a half-this half-that abomination that was New Vegas.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Has never once happened to me, HTH

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven't noticed this.
Well, gently caress me then. Whenever I quick-load there's a short fade-in during which I can't move. It's killed me a couple of times.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

MisterBibs posted:

In hindsight, it's rather obvious what New Vegas was: Bethesda had just revived/reestablished-as-viable/redefined-for-todays-audience'd a moribund property. They were working on other games themselves, but wanted to keep Fallout in the minds of people who play games for a few years, to avoid any backslide. So they hired Obsidian to basically pass the time in Fallout so that Bethesda could work on non-Fallout games and get a proper sequel to Fallout 4 in motion.

Bethesda wasn't upset by New Vegas or anything; the game wasn't developed for Obsidian or its members to try and make a hugely popular sequel like 3. They were just there to keep the series in the minds of people, they succeeded, just in time for the owners to put out a proper sequel.

This would make a lot more sense if this was released a year, poo poo, even 3 years after NV. Instead we're looking at about 6.

I think you just made this post so you could use the word moribund.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Its a great game despite being filled with tons of stupid bugs.

Basically every Bethesda game ever.

...though I played like 400 hours of Morrowind on Xbox and can't remember any bugs.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Nevermind. Quest randomly worked. Bethesda

Saki fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 12, 2015

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

anatomi posted:

Well, gently caress me then. Whenever I quick-load there's a short fade-in during which I can't move. It's killed me a couple of times.

I was literally just watching a stream where the host had this bug. I haven't had it myself either but he fixed it by opening the console immediately then closing it again and he could move no problem.

I also never quick load so maybe thats the problem? I always ESC -> Load Game -> Quicksave

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Zaphod42 the developer dont care that you are defending this game like a preteen fanperson.

Calm your poo poo against any criticism against it. Its a great game despite being filled with tons of stupid bugs.

Dude I myself have complained left and right about issues in the game. But I call people out when they're being whiny babies about stupid bullshit on any game, this one or others. :colbert:

I'm well loving aware the developers don't care. Guess what? I don't care that you don't care!

Calm your poo poo against my criticism of whiny babies. :v: I was talking to PantsBandit who is saying literally the same things. We're criticizing a specific video.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

remember to clean out your save folder every once in a while before the game starts to implode

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serf posted:

...though I played like 400 hours of Morrowind on Xbox and can't remember any bugs.

Morrowind on the X-Box had bugs basically by default.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Apparition posted:

This would make a lot more sense if this was released a year, poo poo, even 3 years after NV. Instead we're looking at about 6.

I think you just made this post so you could use the word moribund.

MisterBibs strongly dislikes New Vegas and often tries to downplay anything good it did and/or its place as an actual Fallout game. I wouldn't go looking for a real argument there.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Also don't bother to decorate your settlements on the micro scale (eg placing junk objects like bottles and weapons etc) because from extensive testing, loading an area by leaving it and returning later tends to result in objects clipping down through scenery, moving out of position or disappearing. Wait for a decoration mod to come out before you try anything you don't craft if you're like me and never want anything to move.

If you want an example, try placing an antique globe or any kind of bottle (empty beer bottle, whisky etc) standing upright, save, fast travel somewhere else and then back. They should be clipping through the scenery. Very annoying.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Serf posted:

Basically every Bethesda game ever.

Morrowind was suuuuuper buggy. I remember I'd go into Balmora sometimes and none of the textures would load in, just a bunch of flat rectangles stuck together.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Bethesda games are buggy as hell for three reasons. First is that everything is physics-enabled, so it's less like The Witcher 3 and more like Viscera Cleanup Detail with an RPG interface stapled to its face. Second is that Bethesda project management sucks infinite dick at scoping development efforts. Third is that you'll buy it anyway, so who gives a poo poo if we set a release date two years out and only get around to triaging the mess we've made three months away from cert submission?

Serf
May 5, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Morrowind was suuuuuper buggy. I remember I'd go into Balmora sometimes and none of the textures would load in, just a bunch of flat rectangles stuck together.

I must be the luckiest person ever, because I can't remember anything like this ever happening to me. Does the Ordinators attacking your forever because you wore their armor once count? Maybe time has eroded my memory or something.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Songbearer posted:

Also don't bother to decorate your settlements on the micro scale (eg placing junk objects like bottles and weapons etc) because from extensive testing, loading an area by leaving it and returning later tends to result in objects clipping down through scenery, moving out of position or disappearing. Wait for a decoration mod to come out before you try anything you don't craft if you're like me and never want anything to move.

If you want an example, try placing an antique globe or any kind of bottle (empty beer bottle, whisky etc) standing upright, save, fast travel somewhere else and then back. They should be clipping through the scenery. Very annoying.

Man, this bug has been around since Oblivion. jeez.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Eonwe posted:

i cant wait for a mod with a good story
Fallout 4 is just a fancy tech demo for Obsidian.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The new critical system is really quite handy for "storing" a critical hit for when poo poo gets dangerous. I was certainly glad to have one when a high-leveled super-ghoul jumped me while I was rifling through the remains of its friends. Also a reason why you should never not have a shotgun on your person.

http://fat.gfycat.com/RipeCapitalGalapagosdove.webm

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I've skipped ahead to post this request... Please can someone post or link a working AUTOHOTKEY script for this game? I've been trying for hours to get it to work, and have so far only succeeded in getting a replacement 'e' key to work... some of the time. No success at all with replacing TAB. I will be eternally grateful!

p.s. the game is fun despite the control issues.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So basically it's a Southie simulator?

Yup! Though I have a plan to fix it all! :allears:

OH GOD the Mirelurk Queen just showed up and starting wrecking poo poo. gently caress it. Nuke this place from orbit. That thing's straight out of a sci-fi horror film like Aliens. :stonk:

Edit: loving hell. I fired a critical'd mini nuke from a fatman at its head and it did nothing but piss it off and make it start projectile vomiting gallons of what looks like acid at me. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress fuckity gently caress! :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 12, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish I could share everyone's optimism that we'll get a New Vegas to FO4's Fallout 3. I don't know why but I just don't get the feeling that'll happen again. I'd love it if it did (y'know, after six months when all the massive bugs get fixed, because I know Obsidian), but I just can't be optimistic about it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sylink posted:

no you idiots there are no mods that are any good because the geck/creation kit isn't out yet.

How mean :(

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/users/2177762/?tb=mods&pUp=1

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh drat, thanks for this. I didn't know the legendary enemy spawning mod existed.

I'm pretty happy with the level of challenge on Hard but I'd love to meet more legendaries. I'll be installing that mod when I go home.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Perestroika posted:

The new critical system is really quite handy for "storing" a critical hit for when poo poo gets dangerous. I was certainly glad to have one when a high-leveled super-ghoul jumped me while I was rifling through the remains of its friends. Also a reason why you should never not have a shotgun on your person.

http://fat.gfycat.com/RipeCapitalGalapagosdove.webm

It is, although its another thing the game does not REMOTELY teach you about :downs:

Seriously most games have too much hand-holding but Fallout 4 really needs a few more notes or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Songbearer posted:

I get this a lot with traps/bombs/mines. I'll get killed by a bomb, load, then it's not there anymore but then one day comes back. I was horribly killed at the drive-in well after establishing a base there and going through the drive-in concession many may times. One day the bomb decided to come back. When I reloaded it was gone again. Much later on another visit I arrive to a huge explosion as a villager triggers the bomb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

It is, although its another thing the game does not REMOTELY teach you about :downs:

Seriously most games have too much hand-holding but Fallout 4 really needs a few more notes or something.

I'm not sure what else they could explain about it beyond the popups. It's literally "fill bar, hit button to critical."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Harrow posted:

I wish I could share everyone's optimism that we'll get a New Vegas to FO4's Fallout 3. I don't know why but I just don't get the feeling that'll happen again. I'd love it if it did (y'know, after six months when all the massive bugs get fixed, because I know Obsidian), but I just can't be optimistic about it.

Bethesda, a big billion-dollar company that makes games, hates employing outside teams to make labor-of-love games in order to make Bethesda, the parent company and publisher, a ton of money. Checks out!

But yeah, it's like 50/50 that it'll ever happen again. Bethesda would probably approach Obsidian if there was a big enough clamor for it, and Obsidian would do it if they weren't busy since there doesn't seem to be any real bad blood between them and Bethesda.

• Locked thread