Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

pandaK posted:

So what advantages does the Dell U2715H have over the Crossover 2795QHD that could convince me to put an extra $100 on it? Right now I'm sort of leaning on the Crossover since it would cover both gaming and art needs. Does the Dell have better color reproduction or do Crossovers tend to have higher dead pixel counts or something?
First, it's closer to $200 more, since you should be paying about $300 for the Crossover, and if you get it off eBay or whatnot you can skip the tax.

Pro's for the Dell:
-Really loving nice stand
-Thin, aesthetically pleasing bezel (great if you're gonna use multiple monitors)
-Factory "tuned"; they are supposed to hit dE<3.0 out of the box
-Awesome warranty and return policy; get a monitory with defects? Swap that bitch out with pre-paid priority cross-shipping
-Can use inputs other than dual-link DVI
Cons:
-60Hz
-$500

Pro's for the Crossover:
-Should be able to hit 96-100Hz without issue
-Low/no input lag
-Cheap
Cons:
-Crappy stand
-Obnoxious, cheap, ugly, shiny black bezel
-dual-link DVI only
-While most people get "perfect" or close monitors, if you get one with dead pixels that bug you or other defects, you're probably SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

pandaK posted:

Or even on that note, are TN panels really that much worse than IPS in terms of color reproduction if you're planning on using them as a main monitor? What exactly about IPS panels make them that much better for colors straight on?
Yes. They're not as terrible when you're looking head-on, but even there they are at a disadvantage. If you want to see for yourself, wander on out to BestBuy or some other major retailer and just look at the difference between, say, a 24" iMac (IPS) and whatever ~$100 generic 24" standard monitor they have on the nearby shelf (which will be TN). The difference is notable. Of course it gets worse when you're not head-on, and once you start talking 30+" you're already not head-on to some portion of the screen most of the time, so the whole issue is even more of a bother.

That said, TN's aren't gonna run out and strangle your dog or whatever. They're perfectly fine if all you ever plan on doing is MS Office or reading forums or whatever. But if you want to actually enjoy using your computer, IPS/VA are a pretty nice step up.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

pandaK posted:

Or even on that note, are TN panels really that much worse than IPS in terms of color reproduction if you're planning on using them as a main monitor? What exactly about IPS panels make them that much better for colors straight on?

It's about viewing angles, narrow viewing angle does not only cause the image to fade out, it also causes colors to shift and the color shift happens at smaller angle differences than the fade out effect. With a TN panel colors will be shifted even when you are looking at the monitor head on, they will be shifted at the top, bottom sides and especially corners, this is part of what makes them unusable for color sensitive work.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

Any opinion on the Monoprice branded 144Hz monitor? It's on sale at the moment.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/12178

Please don't spend money on a TN panel in TYOOL 2015 is my opinion.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ImK3WMBm4

Wonder when the PG348Q are going to be released. Apparently newegg had the PG279Qs in stock for a few hours a couple days ago.

Slider fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 12, 2015

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
After a lot of hemming and hawing, decided to just gamble on the Acer monitors instead. Decent warranty if they aren't broken right off the bat, may as well.

The Microcenter near me has both the Acer 270HU bprz and some 980 Ti cards in stock. And with more than 5 of the monitors in stock, I should get one that isn't broken! Eventually!

Also the price on these went up $100 suddenly across the board. Even the refurb ones are now $699.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ThatOneGuy posted:

After a lot of hemming and hawing, decided to just gamble on the Acer monitors instead. Decent warranty if they aren't broken right off the bat, may as well.

The Microcenter near me has both the Acer 270HU bprz and some 980 Ti cards in stock. And with more than 5 of the monitors in stock, I should get one that isn't broken! Eventually!

Also the price on these went up $100 suddenly across the board. Even the refurb ones are now $699.

My XB270HU that I just bought a couple days ago is perfect. Maybe QC is improved.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

My XB270HU that I just bought a couple days ago is perfect. Maybe QC is improved.
Out of curiosity: why not wait for the 271 or 279Q? I ask because I am waiting for my local Microcenter to get one in stock and every day of my life is a struggle to not buy the 270.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 12, 2015

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Please don't spend money on a TN panel in TYOOL 2015 is my opinion.

Does anybody manufacture a 120Hz+ IPS monitor? I haven't seen any yet.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

VelociBacon posted:

Mine is also perfect. No clouding, no backlight bleed. Only slightly noticable glow in the bottom right corner on a fully black screen, so no issue there.

Man this thing looks awesome.

dy. posted:

Out of curiosity: why not wait for the 271 or 279Q? I ask because I am waiting for my local Microcenter to get one in stock and every day of my life is a struggle to not buy the 270.

Price increase for poo poo I do not care about. Also my other monitor was on its last legs.

notZaar posted:

So 144Hz doesn't count?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ThatOneGuy posted:

So 144Hz doesn't count?

While you're at it, why not 165? :v:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I was looking at freesync 1440p 144hz monitors for gaming but I decided to be more responsible and buy a monitor for my workspace instead of gaming. I'm looking to bolster my productivity so I'm looking at Ultrawide 34" 1440p monitors. I was looking at getting the LG 34UC87C off newegg for $700. Is it worth waiting for 100hz ones? I've never had a monitor with a higher refresh rate then 60hz (besides growing up on an old CRT monitor).

I was also thinking about also getting one of those cheaper Korean overclockable monitors but they cost about $300 each on ebay. I already have (a non overclockable) one for my gaming PC but not for my work Macbook Pro. Luckily I already have a Mini DP -> Dual DVI cable so I won't have to buy that. The thing is, you can get non overclockable Korean 1440p monitors for $200. I'm not sure if spending another $100 is worth jumping from 60hz -> 96hz.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dy. posted:

A mixture of not wanting to wait, not wanting to pay more, tales of QC problems with other xb1 monitors, uncertainty to when exactly that panel is even coming out, and figured I'd save the $ in the difference between the monitors.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

For work the ultrawide is probably well worth it. I'd pay attention to the pricing on the Dell U3415W, that thing's been on sale suprisingly cheap for a curved screen with a good stand.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

xthetenth posted:

For work the ultrawide is probably well worth it. I'd pay attention to the pricing on the Dell U3415W, that thing's been on sale suprisingly cheap for a curved screen with a good stand.

Thanks, I'll keep a lookout. I saw a sub $500 ultrawide 1440p monitors but they aren't curved. I heard curve is worth the premium if you usually have two or more windows open at the same time

Astro Cake
May 27, 2010

I love you, strawberry milk.
I'm looking for a second monitor that is:
-24"
-1920x1080
-IPS
-less than $250

I don't really care about refresh rate, my other monitor is 144 hz anyways. Any recommendations?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Astro Cake posted:

I'm looking for a second monitor that is:
-24"
-1920x1080
-IPS
-less than $250

I don't really care about refresh rate, my other monitor is 144 hz anyways. Any recommendations?

Maybe this one? It's pretty cheap and ASUS has a good policy on defects and such.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

A mixture of not wanting to wait, not wanting to pay more, tales of QC problems with other xb1 monitors, uncertainty to when exactly that panel is even coming out, and figured I'd save the $ in the difference between the monitors.
OK thanks, I just basically needed a reason to not wait and go buy the 270.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

Acer has a 144Hz one, asus just released a 165Hz one. So yes.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

drat, these 2560x1440 144Hz IPS asynchronous panels are sorely tempting me. I've been waiting for years for this tech to get into consumer displays. But the quality control is apparently terrible. :(

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

dy. posted:

OK thanks, I just basically needed a reason to not wait and go buy the 270.

I will say that I kinda wish I had the HDMI inputs that the new models are going to have, but yeah it's not really worth it to wait especially when the new ones are almost certainly going to have early QC problems.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Thanks, I'll keep a lookout. I saw a sub $500 ultrawide 1440p monitors but they aren't curved. I heard curve is worth the premium if you usually have two or more windows open at the same time

It and the Dell's stand are definitely worth a premium. I'm not honestly sure how high a premium I'd say it's worth. With the curved U3415W, with my head still, everything's at the same angle or close enough that it doesn't matter. With my flat 34UM95, the edges are at a roughly 30 degree angle. I use the whole screen with two or three columns, and while it's quite usable and has a ton of screen real estate, I do fin myself shifting around in my chair more often depending on what I'm working on to improve the viewing angle. Whether that matters enough to make 20%, 40% or however much more on the price may vary depending on your preference.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
I ordered one Dell 34" Ultrawide 21:9 Monitor (3440x1440 resolution) and they sent me a second one because I complained the box wasn't sealed when I received it.

The main screen (left) is connected via DisplayPort 1.2, and the second one is connected via HDMI. I couldn't find enough information regarding bandwidth usage and making sure my video card can pump out the FPS to drive each monitor. I currently have a single ASUS STRIX Geforce 970 GTX 4GB.

Would I be able to daisy chain the the DisplayPort from the video card -> Right Screen -> Left Screen and still have enough bandwidth to do 60 fps? What other options do I have to make sure both monitors are running the way they are meant to? If I need to I could drop on another Geforce 970 if that will help.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Are there any good budget IPS monitors that people might recommend? 25 inch - 27 inch. Budget 200-250$ ish (or less?)
I'm worried about buying crap because it seems like models vary significantly in quality, even inside the same brand.
1080p. Couldn't push games too hard when I had a 1440p

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 13, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Cheap Shot posted:

Are there any good budget IPS monitors that people might recommend? 25 inch - 27 inch. Budget 200-250$ ish (or less?)
I'm worried about buying crap because it seems like models vary significantly in quality, even inside the same brand.
1080p. Couldn't push games too hard when I had a 1440p

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pavilion-25xw-25-inch-ips-led-backlit-monitor

Review: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...g-ah-ips-2.html

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Ok, just came back from my local Microcenter and was looking at their monitors. They had the Dell ultrawide, but not on display (only one left!) -- they did however, have the HP Envy Ultrawide and I got a chance to play a bit with it... that thing is huge. I think I'm getting old because I felt a bit overwhelmed by its dimensions; the text looked too small! But on the other hand, I'm still drooling about the amount of real state that you get from it.

I'm thinking on keeping to a more traditional size and rolling the dice on an Acer XB270HU. Will I regret this decision down the road? :ohdear:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Ok, just came back from my local Microcenter and was looking at their monitors. They had the Dell ultrawide, but not on display (only one left!) -- they did however, have the HP Envy Ultrawide and I got a chance to play a bit with it... that thing is huge. I think I'm getting old because I felt a bit overwhelmed by its dimensions; the text looked too small! But on the other hand, I'm still drooling about the amount of real state that you get from it.

I'm thinking on keeping to a more traditional size and rolling the dice on an Acer XB270HU. Will I regret this decision down the road? :ohdear:

Errr, the PPI of the xb270HU and the hp envy ultrawide is the same meaning the text size will be identicle on both.

Edit: my preference is irrelevant.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 14, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, the 34" 3440x1440 screens are the same density and height as 27" 2560x1440 screens, they're just widened.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Awesome thanks. It's even glossy instead of matte which I like. Little on the small side though. Is there a larger version?

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, the 34" 3440x1440 screens are the same density and height as 27" 2560x1440 screens, they're just widened.

Interesting... Must be the extra space effect. They seemed smaller in the store.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Cheap Shot posted:

Awesome thanks. It's even glossy instead of matte which I like. Little on the small side though. Is there a larger version?

Yeah, a 27 inch version too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Interesting... Must be the extra space effect. They seemed smaller in the store.

Yeah, they do feel big, but my 34" is the same height as the 27" next to it.

CrackDealer
May 12, 2001
Just some in-valid
I'm looking to buy a new monitor and have read the thread and checked out pcpartpicker for my region (UK)

I am looking for ~23-24 inch, 1920 x 1080, general use/ watching tv / streams/ some gaming.
My graphics cad is Radeon R9 270X and probably the next thing to get upgraded after my monitor.

The most-reviewed monitors on pcpartpicker that are in stock are:
IPS Dell U2414H & Asus PB238Q

The other thing I'm considering is getting a 144hz monitor. This would not be useful for games at the moment with my current graphics card but may be useful in the future when I upgrade:
144hz: Asus VG248QE & BenQ XL2411Z

My current monitor is old enough that I suppose anything I buy would be a huge upgrade, just looking for some advice on whether any of the above (Or maybe any other monitors available in the UK) stand out as items to definitely get or definitely avoid.
Would welcome any advice.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

E3: Ended up with choice between Benq GW2470H and Dell P2414H, took the former and a VESA mount.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 15, 2015

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Any Canada goons have experience buying monitors on Black Friday (does Canada even have sales for this?) or Boxing Day? Do good gaming monitors go on sale then, or would it only be poor quality stuff?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Slowpoke! posted:

Any Canada goons have experience buying monitors on Black Friday (does Canada even have sales for this?) or Boxing Day? Do good gaming monitors go on sale then, or would it only be poor quality stuff?

Is Black Friday so pervasive that it's made its way into a country that celebrates Thanksgiving in October? However it works, Black Friday is almost entirely made up of cheap, Chinese crap that is barely worth what stores are asking for it, even on that day. If you're looking for the latest offerings from quality brands like Element, Onn, or Hannspree, be sure to set your alarm though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vancouver here. I've never seen a decent sale on any product that is newly on the market/desirable. I'd be surprised if any of the good monitors were marked down more than the usual 10-15% which you see off and on through the year anyways.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I picked up the XB270hu. It's amazing. Little bit of IPS bleed/glow in the bottom corners, and some panel discoloration, but nothing I'd ever notice if I wasn't looking for it, so I probably will just keep it.

Got a new 970 too; I was a bit concerned that it would be underpowered but it's kicking out 80-90fps at 2K in Fallout 4, which is just fine for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dy. posted:

Got a new 970 too; I was a bit concerned that it would be underpowered but it's kicking out 80-90fps at 2K in Fallout 4, which is just fine for me.

I didn't think Fallout 4 could do > 60Hz without loving up the physics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I didn't think Fallout 4 could do > 60Hz without loving up the physics!

It can't. Above a certain framerate, the game just falls apart. i.e. while using terminals.