Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Refrigerapist
Dec 11, 2004
I actually like Fallout 4's HUD.

The thing dragging it down for me is trying to build a fence around my settlement. If the ground is not completely flat (and it isn't) then good luck with that. Your fence is going to look like poo poo and either be sunk 2 feet into the ground or float 2 feet over it. Even connecting the fence segments is a pain in the rear end. It feels like I'm not doing it correctly but the only options you have for building and placing are rotation and distance away from you. I can't alter how high or low the fence sits, its based on some arbitrary height that the game thinks the ground is at.

Atleast they let you salvage the piles of wood/tire/old houses and random detritus laying around. Which is actually another thing dragging the game down. The new crafting system involves breaking down junk for base materials like wood and rubber. A hot plate gives some metal and some circuitry for example. If you need metal for something, you can build it using whatever materials the junk in your inventory (or stored in the crafting bench) would break down into. Which is how the game tell you to do it in the tutorial. But, in this example, if you wind up using the hot plate to provide the metal, the circuitry is lost forever. The only way to break down components without building something is to drop them on the ground, enter the crafting menu or whatever, and salvaging them one at a time. It's driving the min-maxer in me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
OVERBURDENED

And I just got my first game-breaking bug of FO4. A rite of passage :3:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

SLUMPERS posted:

I actually like Fallout 4's HUD.

The thing dragging it down for me is trying to build a fence around my settlement. If the ground is not completely flat (and it isn't) then good luck with that. Your fence is going to look like poo poo and either be sunk 2 feet into the ground or float 2 feet over it. Even connecting the fence segments is a pain in the rear end. It feels like I'm not doing it correctly but the only options you have for building and placing are rotation and distance away from you. I can't alter how high or low the fence sits, its based on some arbitrary height that the game thinks the ground is at.

Atleast they let you salvage the piles of wood/tire/old houses and random detritus laying around. Which is actually another thing dragging the game down. The new crafting system involves breaking down junk for base materials like wood and rubber. A hot plate gives some metal and some circuitry for example. If you need metal for something, you can build it using whatever materials the junk in your inventory (or stored in the crafting bench) would break down into. Which is how the game tell you to do it in the tutorial. But, in this example, if you wind up using the hot plate to provide the metal, the circuitry is lost forever. The only way to break down components without building something is to drop them on the ground, enter the crafting menu or whatever, and salvaging them one at a time. It's driving the min-maxer in me crazy.

It actually goes into limbo for a small moment. You will get the parts back as if you scrapped it but you have to scrap something else or exit the crafting screen. It's very misleading.

The UI bugs me but once I changed the color and opacity it isn't too bad.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
The thing dragging FO4 down is I can't disable iron sights aiming. I hate having a gun fill half my screen just to get some decent accuracy. Just give me a toggle like NV had! It's even worse since FO4 has an adaptive crosshair that shows me the spread of my weapon, which is great, but while I know aiming reduces the spread I have no way of knowing by how much because the stupid iron sights hide the crosshair to give me a much less useful aiming mechanic in the service of 'realism'. Man gently caress realism and all the stupid poo poo games implement in its name. Iron Sights, Depth of Field, Head Bob. Horrible garbage the lot of it.

Bethesda is the worst at this. New Vegas added two things I hated: kill cams and iron sights but gave them toggles. Skyrim added kill cams and didn't let you turn them off and FO4 adds iron sights but doesn't let you turn them off. At least Skyrim eventually got mods to turn off the kill cams, iron sights are popular enough I expect that's less likely.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Just give me a toggle like NV had!

There was an option to turn iron sights off in NV?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What kind of joyless idiot doesn't like a killcam?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

SLUMPERS posted:

But, in this example, if you wind up using the hot plate to provide the metal, the circuitry is lost forever. The only way to break down components without building something is to drop them on the ground, enter the crafting menu or whatever, and salvaging them one at a time. It's driving the min-maxer in me crazy.

Is this how it works? I would have thought if an item had only one usable material then it would just auto-scrap the whole thing and put the other components into your inventory. That's lovely and obnoxious.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's distracting, I only used it in NV a couple times.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

If you aren't hoping for a kill cam every time you punch a marauder so hard he explodes into gibs and scatters to the four winds, then you are the thing dragging the game down

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There were definitely kill cams in FO3.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lizard Wizard posted:

In New Vegas the killcam only kicked in at the end of a fight.

This is not the case in Skyrim.

Also the killcam for melee attacks in Skyrim involves canned animations and since it's Skyrim the game gets confused and you just stand around for several seconds for things to get in place for the canned animation while the fight continues around you. Killcams stop being impressive when you're stuck for a while waiting for it to happen. And sometimes it gives up on the animation so you have to hit the enemy again.

In short, it's Skyrim and a neat idea is bogged down by Bethesda coding.

It's neat when doing stealth kills, or when hitting with magic since that tends to send the enemy flying, at least.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

RBA Starblade posted:

There was an option to turn iron sights off in NV?

Yup right in the gameplay options. Although some of the DLC weapons ignored it and positioned themselves for iron sights anyway.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Slow motion is almost always horrible. Cutscenes are always horrible. Slow motion cutscenes at the end of almost every fight are horrible². Why would I want to watch my character do something cool when I could control them doing something cool? Every second a game doesn't let me control my character is a second that game is failing imo. Games should take control away very sparingly and only with great purpose.

Also jerking the camera from first person the third person without me telling it to feels wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Buzkashi posted:

Is this how it works? I would have thought if an item had only one usable material then it would just auto-scrap the whole thing and put the other components into your inventory. That's lovely and obnoxious.

It's not true, there's a bug that makes the other materials not show up right away so it looks as if you're losing them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Will the good fallout developer make this generation's fallout: subtitle?

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
To complement my post about the game in the Favorite Little Things thread, Trine 3 incorporates new features to the series quite well, including levels that allow you to run towards the backdrop and the camera rather than 1 and 2's sidescroller-esque gameplay.

However, there's several sections that have you running or jumping along thin rails or walkways. While this wouldn't be an issue in a sidescroller, it occasionally be very difficult to avoid falling off due to the inability to tell precisely where you are in space relative to the rail or beam.

The game is somewhat generous about landing on these rails, but I've still died quite a few times because I was a foot too close to the backdrop and missed a jump. The characters don't really have a shadow when they jump either, so I can't use that to ensure that I'm on the same plane.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Spek posted:

Slow motion is almost always horrible. Cutscenes are always horrible. Slow motion cutscenes at the end of almost every fight are horrible². Why would I want to watch my character do something cool when I could control them doing something cool? Every second a game doesn't let me control my character is a second that game is failing imo. Games should take control away very sparingly and only with great purpose.

You seem fun.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Will the good fallout developer make this generation's fallout: subtitle?

This is my question. I ignored fallout 3, enjoyed new vegas, can't bring myself to play Bethesda Jank for the umpteenth time when I know there are people who can make a way better Fallout. Let's go to Caesar's Legion territory or something.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm pretty sure Obsidian has given the finger to developing other studios' scraps after the general success of Pillars of Eternity. That probably goes double for their relationship with Bethesda.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

You seem fun.
he's right

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

1stGear posted:

I'm pretty sure Obsidian has given the finger to developing other studios' scraps after the general success of Pillars of Eternity. That probably goes double for their relationship with Bethesda.

You're completely wrong, Obsidian has said that they would love to work on another Fallout game and that the missed Metacritic bonus that grognards are still making GBS threads their pants over as objective proof of Bethesda's evinless was a non-issue.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Metal Gear Revengeance has a slow mo mechanics that actually make it a bit harder to get gold medals in some of the VR challenges. There's a mechanic called Zandastu where if you enter blade mode with full energy, slice an enemy through a certain point, and then push a button, you rip out its nanorepair module and get full health and energy. You can do this to basic grunts any time and have to weaken most other ones before you do it. You can even do it as they die. Many enemies allow you get a perfect parry, stunning them and setting them up for a finishing move that immediately kills them and gives you a prompt to enter blade mode and do a Zandastu if you want. Same with stealth kills. Slicing a weak enough enemy in blade mode through anywhere on their torso or head kills them.

The problem is, if you do one of these instakill moves, the prompt to enter blade mode lingers for several seconds. During this time, the clock on the challenge keeps running down. You can speed it up by entering blade mode and immediately leaving, but that drains just enough energy that you'll have to build it up again if you want to use blade mode to kill a grunt. And if you slice through to their repair module, it lingers again for a couple seconds. It's not bad in story mode, since Zandastu-inf an enemy gives you some currency for ugrades and helps your score, but some of the gold challenges are pretty unforgiving.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Nov 12, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Also the killcam for melee attacks in Skyrim involves canned animations and since it's Skyrim the game gets confused and you just stand around for several seconds for things to get in place for the canned animation while the fight continues around you. Killcams stop being impressive when you're stuck for a while waiting for it to happen. And sometimes it gives up on the animation so you have to hit the enemy again.

IIRC They also don't make you invincible or anything. So in the middle of a fight what should have been a one second hit to kill a guy so you can move on to the next target then becomes a ten second animation while other enemies start hitting you or blowing you up with magic.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
MINOR SPOILERS FROM THE FIRST TWO HOURS OF PLAY

My issue with fallout 4 is it should have come with a god drat instruction booklet. I constantly find myself having to look up how poo poo works, and nothing is intuitive.

Why have a hot tab select if you have to hit a button afterwards? You have to highlight what you want to equip/use then hit the action button. that would be fine if I wasn't used to using the D-pad as a weapon select like in every other Bethesda game.

I had to look up how to get out of the loving power armor. The game even lets you un-equip every piece, but you are still in the frame with all the negatives and no positives.

How the gently caress do you recharge the power armor? How do you repair it? I'm in front of the power armor craft table. Nothing. I go to the armor bench, nothing. (You have to exit the power armor to even get to the workbenches, still nothing. I'll need to look up how to power and repair the drat thing.)

I try and avoid spoilers for Bethesda games, usually they're too easy to break. But now I have to go and try to find a workable guide on just the basics, all the poo poo that used to come in the manual.

Also the game kinda Ramps up a little quick. First you fight a few roaches. Next, some mole rats come out of the ground. Then, you fight a few raiders, trying to help out some folks. Pretty standard for a fallout game.
Lastly, I found myself at level three, leaping off the top of a four story building in full T-50 power armor, wielding a massive chain gun and slamming into center a group of bandits. (I was Immune to fall damage because the armor)

I started the gun barrels moving mid-air, so they were spinning as I landed. Cut down six of them and started working on the named bandit when I deathclaw came out of the ground. I sanded a little off his health before he tore me in half. Took a few tries to use cars as bombs to kill him.

I don't actually mind that bit, just not what I was expecting. It played like an end boss fight in any other fallout game. Kinda curious where they are going with it, I just need to read up on the basics, apparently.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Slowly, I've realized the biggest problem I have with Fallout 4. Everything else I've complained about here or elsewhere is a problem, but it's one I can fix and then not worry about. But there's a big one that's been staring me in the face, that I don't think I could reasonably ever fix.

Bethesda games are all about playing the character you want to play, how you want to play them, and that's what I love about them.

But I don't want to play as a straight, married parent.

I understand that Fallout is a bit more confined than Elder Scrolls, and that's okay, but every Fallout protagonist is very lightly defined and can fit most any character type. New Vegas' Courier had a defined job, but that's all; their past and their life was left open for us to fill in. Before leaving the Vault, Fallout 3's Lone Wanderer lived a life that could've just as easily produced a psychopathic axe-murderer or a nonassuming, quiet thief, however you wanted to play it. Sure you had a dad and were looking for him, but everybody has a dad, that doesn't really shave it down. And that same open-ness in character creation goes back to Black Isle's offerings, it's always been there.

Fallout 4's protagonist is way too defined in comparison, because the entirety of the story hinges on them being a type of person that not everybody wants to be, or play. They aren't just a character that happens to be in a straight marriage and has a child either, the entire drive of the story is to find your child. Not only is that really confining given how many Fallout characters people make really would not be marriage material (certainly none of the three characters I usually play in RPGs are the type), the 'straight' part is almost offensive given how the Fallout series thus far has been, almost accidentally, really sexually progressive.

EDIT: One of the first mods that will come out once we get the Creation Kit, I'm sure, is a same-sex marriage mod. And that will probably be the best we can hope for in terms of a fix, I'd certainly accept it, but it's still going to be a problem that will never go away.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Nov 13, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

You're completely wrong, Obsidian has said that they would love to work on another Fallout game and that the missed Metacritic bonus that grognards are still making GBS threads their pants over as objective proof of Bethesda's evinless was a non-issue.

They've also said they would love to work on another star wars game, and everyone knows they got screwed pretty hard on that one.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

malal posted:

I had to look up how to get out of the loving power armor. The game even lets you un-equip every piece, but you are still in the frame with all the negatives and no positives.

How the gently caress do you recharge the power armor? How do you repair it? I'm in front of the power armor craft table. Nothing. I go to the armor bench, nothing. (You have to exit the power armor to even get to the workbenches, still nothing. I'll need to look up how to power and repair the drat thing.)

Get out: Hold Action (My dragging-things-down: this is also 'grab and hold thing to manually reposition it like on a shelf or something')

Recharge: Get in while you have a Fusion Core in your inventory, just like the guy told you how to power it (They become more common as time goes on)
Repair: Get to a Power Armor Repair station and get out while you're somewhat close to it (pyf good thing: large catchment area), then use the Power Armor Repair station. It's a yellow forklifty thing, you can see a suit hanging from one on the main menu animation, there's one in Sanctuary and another in Red Rocket

PYF Dragging FO4 down: Power Armor's HUD doesn't do a good job of alerting you to radiation. The default HUD says "RADS: +40" in a popup so you can say 'oh poo poo', the power armor has no popup and the rads dial only goes to +10. The Geiger Counter clicks a bit, sure, but I can laugh off +5ish (most common) but really need to worry about +40s.

E: Charisma is more important in FO4 than other fallout games (!!) so if you didn't start close to a 6, boy you've got some levels to burn to get inter-settlement trade routes :mad:

Also Luck is goddamn fantastic, geez those perks are off the wall, and I had that low too :byodood:

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 10:06 on Nov 13, 2015

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Things dragging down Fallout 4 for me:

Me, getting super confused that the default key bindings for some things have changed since New Vegas. Mostly it's the expected thing of trying to press V to bring up VATS and just kind of going into third person, but that little bit of confusion often leads to me doing poo poo like opening quick favorites while I need to try and move and avoid something.

And also, getting instagibbed by enemy molotovs and my own frag grenades getting shot out of my hand. The loading times are just long enough to turn it from being kind of funny to painful.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

Get out: Hold Action (My dragging-things-down: this is also 'grab and hold thing to manually reposition it like on a shelf or something')

Recharge: Get in while you have a Fusion Core in your inventory, just like the guy told you how to power it (They become more common as time goes on)
Repair: Get to a Power Armor Repair station and get out while you're somewhat close to it (pyf good thing: large catchment area), then use the Power Armor Repair station. It's a yellow forklifty thing, you can see a suit hanging from one on the main menu animation, there's one in Sanctuary and another in Red Rocket

PYF Dragging FO4 down: Power Armor's HUD doesn't do a good job of alerting you to radiation. The default HUD says "RADS: +40" in a popup so you can say 'oh poo poo', the power armor has no popup and the rads dial only goes to +10. The Geiger Counter clicks a bit, sure, but I can laugh off +5ish (most common) but really need to worry about +40s.

E: Charisma is more important in FO4 than other fallout games (!!) so if you didn't start close to a 6, boy you've got some levels to burn to get inter-settlement trade routes :mad:

Also Luck is goddamn fantastic, geez those perks are off the wall, and I had that low too :byodood:

Thanks! I figured out how to get out, guess I'll hold off on fixing it till I get more fusion core. And I think I'm gonna be boned on the building part of the game, I made my
Usual melee character. At least hitting things with the pipe hatchet is fun!

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

malal posted:

Thanks! I figured out how to get out, guess I'll hold off on fixing it till I get more fusion core. And I think I'm gonna be boned on the building part of the game, I made my
Usual melee character. At least hitting things with the pipe hatchet is fun!

There's apparently no level cap so you're not screwed forever.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Somebody referred to the current FO4 settler management system as "Schroedinger's workforce" and it's totally on point. I wish I could have a better way to see who is assigned to what job so I can make sure all these fuckers are contributing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Things dragging FO4: I've been playing for some 3 hours and have not found a merchant or someone to give me RadAway because over half my health is now gone permanently red due to radiation poisoning.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One of the prepared foods from the cooking station gets rid of radiation.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

muscles like this? posted:

One of the prepared foods from the cooking station gets rid of radiation.

It's the one from the mutant dogs.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Doctor in Diamond City also cures you.

Whats annoying me is how melee works up to now. I've got 10 strength, I'm wearing power armour and wielding a rocket powered hammer. Yet a feeble slap from a ghoul STILL knocks me out of my attack animation and stuns me. I could understand back when I was in leathers and trying to twat them with a baseball bat, but jesus.

Forget the name of the droids now, but there's army issue ones that attack rapidly and stunlocked me to death. You even get knocked back when in VATS and lose all your AP if they (anyone) hits.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Not to mention Suiciders. And enemies with rocket launchers or a Fat Man. Fallout 4 really hates on melee.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Quit bitching every time I hack a computer or unlock a door Strong, I know you are a Super Mutant who can tackle Mini Nukes head on but I need the cache of telephones behind this door!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Piell posted:

Not to mention Suiciders. And enemies with rocket launchers or a Fat Man. Fallout 4 really hates on melee.

Carry a couple of guns. Even without perk investment it's still worth having back-ups to cover different situations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm not too bothered about suiciders or nukes/missile launchers because my whole build is designed to soak up that damage as I charge in with a hammer! :black101:

It's just annoying and dumb that a level 1 raider can stop and stagger this charging death machine with a quick pistol but strike.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Two things are dragging MGS V down for me.

One is that whenever you set something to build or combat deployments, they only go down while your actually playing (besides the ones that have the globe next to them). I just don't get it, setting stuff to build and logging off is pretty much a staple of that kind of gameplay.

Another thing is that apparently a bunch of my GMP is tied to online? I"m not sure what exactly causes it but when the servers were down last night I was in the red for like 2 million. I was confused as to what caused it but played through trying to get it back up to being in the green. Eventually we were able to log back into the server and when I did all my original money came back. I'm guessing somehow some of my GMP is tied to being online which is weird, what if I lose internet connection for a while and still want to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The online thing is because they want people to stay online as they are selling "FOB insurance" where you pay them money and if your FOB is invaded you get back whatever was stolen.