Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Chichevache posted:

I do something similar in California! It's a real fun field.

Yeah, as an EMT on a BLS ambulance, a full 50% of my calls are involuntarily committed people going from one facility to another. It gets pretty hair-raising at times, but that makes it fun. I also work the swing shift so I get the last of the last people to go out, which are often the most violent, and there aren't many ambulance or even police cars to call for backup on at 0100 on a Sunday morning.

I loving love it every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I do something similar in California! It's a real fun field.

For some reason the fact that you deal with mentally ill people on a daily basis doesn't surprise me at all.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Approximately what percentage of your posts are your patients responsible for?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Approximately what percentage of your posts are your patients responsible for?

All of the bad ones.

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, as an EMT on a BLS ambulance, a full 50% of my calls are involuntarily committed people going from one facility to another. It gets pretty hair-raising at times, but that makes it fun. I also work the swing shift so I get the last of the last people to go out, which are often the most violent, and there aren't many ambulance or even police cars to call for backup on at 0100 on a Sunday morning.

Swing shift owns and I've been fighting like mad to get it permanently. The vast majority of our combative patients are on swing shift. Props to you for dealing with them in the back of a van full of dangerous objects. :hfive:

Slavvy posted:

For some reason the fact that you deal with mentally ill people on a daily basis doesn't surprise me at all.

They don't call it Cycle Asylum for nothing! :downsrim:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I finally sold my versys, and now I'm finding that SV650's are the crx of the bike world, impossible to find in an unmolested, uncrashed state.

Seriously, every one I look at is in decent cosmetic shape, but mechanically wrecked, or vice versa.

Every single sv on earth apparently has an aftermarket tail light and blinkers hacked into the wiring harness and has been dropped on one side at least.

Who has a non-terrible sv they can sell me?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So I finally sold my versys, and now I'm finding that SV650's are the crx of the bike world, impossible to find in an unmolested, uncrashed state.

Seriously, every one I look at is in decent cosmetic shape, but mechanically wrecked, or vice versa.

Every single sv on earth apparently has an aftermarket tail light and blinkers hacked into the wiring harness and has been dropped on one side at least.

I'll sell you my versys.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I found a mint looking, pretty, black SV that didn't look terribly molested. Reasonable price, reasonable mileage, second gen.

The muffler was cut off at a 45deg angle with a loving sawzall.

e: You meant for that to be a reply to the above post, but it ended up working pretty well for mine. Well done VVVV

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://youtu.be/1ytCEuuW2_A

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, I looked at two today. One was a yellow 05. Hacked off delkevic exhaust that backfired like a 12 gauge shotgun when you let off the throttle, had rust in the tank, had a brake lever that was notchy as hell, and cornered really weirdly.

Second was an 08 abs that had been down on both sides (not noted in ad), had a tail bag secured to the body work apparently with 80 grit sandpaper, shook like hell and had some scary loud squealing coming from the front end.

Both were described as being in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition.

gently caress craigslist, except for the nice Hungarian dude who bought my versys, he was :coal:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Why the switch from Versys to SV? I thought the Versys had some decent suspenders and is a great all rounder.

You really want a Buell though you just don't know it yet. When you grow up you will understand.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

It's ok, we already knew you were a masochist because you've already admitted to owning a Beetle and a Royal Enfield. :rimshot:

captainOrbital posted:

How's the recovery going?

Went back to work three weeks ago, still walking with a limp, but improving steadily.

Also driving myself nuts by looking at craigslist ads for cheap bikes that I can't afford to buy until next spring/summer when they'll all be way more expensive. :(

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 12, 2015

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sounds like you should buy two or three and make one nice one :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Why the switch from Versys to SV? I thought the Versys had some decent suspenders and is a great all rounder.

It does and it is. I thought I could grow to love that motor, and in the beginning I did, but I got over it quick. It was a great bike, chassis-wise, I didn't love the power plant.

People rave about that motor online though, so maybe I'm just broken, :iiam:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Especially considering that pretty much everyone here also has a car.

Are there any posters riding 100% of the time?

Haven't owned a car since high school. Biek, bicycle, or transit. Hell, I walk home the 5.5km from work if it's decent out.
If I need a car I got Autoshare.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Having eyes is a good reason.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It does and it is. I thought I could grow to love that motor, and in the beginning I did, but I got over it quick. It was a great bike, chassis-wise, I didn't love the power plant.

People rave about that motor online though, so maybe I'm just broken, :iiam:

No, it's distinctly meh. The people raving likely either haven't ridden something better or also rave about things like accountancy and the minutae of train schedules. Cylinders should be offset, always.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So hence the hunt for an sv, I've never owned a v-twin before, and they're a lot of bang for my versys-sale buck, so why not?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Linedance posted:

No, it's distinctly meh. The people raving likely either haven't ridden something better or also rave about things like accountancy and the minutae of train schedules. Cylinders should be offset, always.

That's exactly what I thought when I test rode the new one. After testing a ducati 821, cb650 and z800 it felt like a vibey POS. Great bike otherwise...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So hence the hunt for an sv, I've never owned a v-twin before, and they're a lot of bang for my versys-sale buck, so why not?
If you liked the ergos of the Versys but want a v-twin, you could also look for a v-strom 650 which shares the SV's engine.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Anti-cage checking in: the word, when I use it is an insult to the vehicle, like donorcycle. I drive, I just loving hate it. I'm a far better rider than driver, though. Yes, I had a near miss on the bike a month ago, not my point.

Edit: yes, I know I'm late.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

If you're an even worse driver please don't ever drive near me, or better yet just turn in your license before you run someone over.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Linedance posted:

I thought 90% of the appeal of the SV650 was that they cost like $2000.

Kind of like my little Ranger. I've driven faster things, things that handle better, things that brake better, things that have better sound insulation, etc. But it didn't cost me poo poo so :toot:

fakeedit: Also having a 4L V6 in a tiny light pickup with no weight in the rear end end is hilarious.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 12, 2015

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Verge posted:

Anti-cage checking in: the word, when I use it is an insult to the vehicle, like donorcycle. I drive, I just loving hate it. I'm a far better rider than driver, though. Yes, I had a near miss on the bike a month ago, not my point.

What state do you live in? Just so I know where not to move to when I get tired of Taiwan.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Marxalot posted:

I thought 90% of the appeal of the SV650 was that they cost like $2000.

Kind of like my little Ranger. I've driven faster things, things that handle better, things that brake better, things that have better sound insulation, etc. But it didn't cost me poo poo so :toot:

fakeedit: Also having a 4L V6 in a tiny light pickup with no weight in the rear end end is hilarious.

I was talking about the versys engine. Other than being the thing that makes the bike go, it's unlikely to put a grin on your face.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

YF19pilot posted:

What state do you live in? Just so I know where not to move to when I get tired of Taiwan.

I hope it's California. I want to go on a goonride?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe SV's are cheap where you are, around here I can't get into a non-shitpile for less than 3k

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe SV's are cheap where you are, around here I can't get into a non-shitpile for less than 3k

It's a lot easier to find a faired one for some reason. And they're still not cheap. I just looked around Chicago, and you're right: mostly shitpiles or way overpriced.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge posted:

Get a dashcam and post the footage TIA.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Slavvy posted:

Get a dashcam and post the footage TIA.

Posted footage about 5 pages back.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

It's a lot easier to find a faired one for some reason. And they're still not cheap. I just looked around Chicago, and you're right: mostly shitpiles or way overpriced.

Yeah, the ratio of faired ones vs naked seems to be at least 15:1 here, and with the terrible odds of finding even a clean faired model, I've given up on finding a naked one and will instead just convert an S when/if I find one.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
You'll never find one - instead you'll be that guy at the gas station who used to own a bike.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
If you want a cheap reliable v twin you could also look for a Honda VTR.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, the ratio of faired ones vs naked seems to be at least 15:1 here, and with the terrible odds of finding even a clean faired model, I've given up on finding a naked one and will instead just convert an S when/if I find one.

Why would you convert it yourself when you can inherit the problems from some idiot's hackfest?

It's a win/win.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dutymode posted:

You'll never find one - instead you'll be that guy at the gas station who used to own a bike.

I still have two other bikes and a scooter I can ride to the gas station

captainOrbital posted:

Why would you convert it yourself when you can inherit the problems from some idiot's hackfest?

It's a win/win.

Ha, no kidding, if I'm a perfectionist in any area, it's electrical wiring, and that's the area that's always mangled the worst on naked conversions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verge posted:

Posted footage about 5 pages back.

Of your car driving, champ. If you're a better rider than you are a driver, I want to see that poo poo.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ha, no kidding, if I'm a perfectionist in any area, it's electrical wiring, and that's the area that's always mangled the worst on naked conversions every preowned bike ever.

Fixed that for you. What is it about electrical wiring and suspension clickers that turns every new motorcycle owner into thinking they're the greatest race mechanic in the world?

I don't blame you for holding out for a clean, unmolested sv650. Makes your life so much easier when you need to work on it.

velocross fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 13, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I still have two other bikes and a scooter I can ride to the gas station

Ha, no kidding, if I'm a perfectionist in any area, it's electrical wiring, and that's the area that's always mangled the worst on naked conversions.

What's the right way to do wiring and what are your pet peeves?

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

builds character posted:

What's the right way to do wiring and what are your pet peeves?

Drip a glob of solder on the wires then wrap in electrical tape. Super easy, not sure how so many people gently caress it up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

Drip a glob of solder on the wires then wrap in electrical tape. Super easy, not sure how so many people gently caress it up.

This is triggering me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Koruthaiolos posted:

Electrical tape will degrade outside. No, this is not a UV damage thing either.