Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Doublestep posted:

yeah ok thats fine, but you're still being a massive rear end in a top hat to everyone in your party.

it isnt a slight inconvenience, some of the NMs do require two healers, especially poo poo like wisent

In normal mode? I find that hard to believe. I was solo healing a group when we did hard mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Since when do goons give a poo poo about appeasing pubbies?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
pubbies

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

epic pubby tears ftw

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

AST is the only class I have at 60. So yeah, I'm going to queue as AST. Not going to level and gear a DPS just so I can not slightly inconvenience pubbies.

I fish in diadem. I don't need to be with others to gather. In fact, I prefer my gathering to be a solo activity where I don't have to interact with others.

Treating other people and their problems as though they neither exist nor matter seems like a pretty unhealthy way to play this game

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Doublestep posted:

yeah ok thats fine, but you're still being a massive rear end in a top hat to everyone in your party.

it isnt a slight inconvenience, some of the NMs do require two healers, especially poo poo like wisent

ummm this is something awful, loving pubbies lol!!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

armoredgorilla posted:

Since when do goons give a poo poo about appeasing pubbies?

Life pro tip: "not being a massive rear end in a top hat to everyone who doesn't know your secret handshake" is not the same thing as "appeasing pubbies". Treat the people you're blind queueing into with the same respect you hope they'd give you, and you'll have a way better time on average.

Mordiceius posted:

In normal mode? I find that hard to believe. I was solo healing a group when we did hard mode.

Wisent, Brachiosaur, and basically anything on the IV-heavy islands can get hairy fast. It's possible to solo heal just the boss if you know what you're doing, but Wisent in particular has a nasty habit of making it more than just the boss, even with coordinated players.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 12, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Again, I wouldn't do that in a premade group. But when I solo queue in Ishgard, I'm going to go do my own thing.

If you want a full group dedicated to a single mission, make a party before queuing.

EDIT: Ooh. Thanks for the new avatar.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Lmao whomever changed Mordiceius' avatar: well played, though this thread is gonna get a ton more confusing now.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
You know there's a 2 hour lockout, right? If the essential players decide to gently caress off and do their own thing, the other players can't just drop and try again - they're stuck with your decision to be selfish, whether they choose to continue or not.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Mordiceius posted:

Again, I wouldn't do that in a premade group. But when I solo queue in Ishgard, I'm going to go do my own thing.

If you want a full group dedicated to a single mission, make a party before queuing.

EDIT: Ooh. Thanks for the new avatar.

no one cares that you're going to do your own thing

we're just saying if you're going to do your own thing at least have the politeness to do it on a dps class so you aren't loving 7 other people out of a thing for 90 minutes

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

armoredgorilla posted:

Diadem makes a lot of petty people really insecure about their elite video gamer status, it's the best content FFXIV has produced.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Doublestep posted:

no one cares that you're going to do your own thing

we're just saying if you're going to do your own thing at least have the politeness to do it on a dps class so you aren't loving 7 other people out of a thing for 90 minutes

Okay, let me just go level up another class since my highest DPS class is at level 30 just so that I can ensure I'm not wasting the time of pubbies that I don't care about.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I do wish there were a better system for getting to go gathering in Diadem. But there's not, and until such time (as ever) that there is, people randomly queueing should tailor their expectations appropriately.

There's not just the risk of a healer loving off to go gathering, either. There's a risk of someone going as (insert role here that gets faster queue times) and then switching inside to (insert other role here that they actually want to play). On the one hand this could result in extra tanks and healers - at least when I ran, the DPS queues were oddly the shortest - but on the other hand it could result in the "tanks" and "healers" suddenly turning into a pile of dragoons. Or as in the case we're discussing here, healers turning into fishers.

None of us can prevent that from being a possibility when we randomly queue. All we can really affect is our own attitudes and personal responses when it does happen.

For example: you go in as monk, the astrologian promptly fucks off to fish, you can either a. try a harder fight with one healer and maybe die a lot (which might not accomplish anything), b. sit around being a dick to the now-fisher (which will not accomplish anything), or c. switch to scholar and get in a different flavor of DPS while letting Selene help heal (which will probably help accomplish something).

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread

Boten Anna posted:

Lmao whomever changed Mordiceius' avatar: well played, though this thread is gonna get a ton more confusing now.

Do yourself a favor and reread the last few pages, Belzac and Mordiceius' new avatars are the thing that turned this really bad thread into a really good one

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Who ever killed my wonderful fracture avatar has done this thread a disservice.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Vil posted:

I do wish there were a better system for getting to go gathering in Diadem. But there's not, and until such time (as ever) that there is, people randomly queueing should tailor their expectations appropriately.

There's not just the risk of a healer loving off to go gathering, either. There's a risk of someone going as (insert role here that gets faster queue times) and then switching inside to (insert other role here that they actually want to play). On the one hand this could result in extra tanks and healers - at least when I ran, the DPS queues were oddly the shortest - but on the other hand it could result in the "tanks" and "healers" suddenly turning into a pile of dragoons. Or as in the case we're discussing here, healers turning into fishers.

None of us can prevent that from being a possibility when we randomly queue. All we can really affect is our own attitudes and personal responses when it does happen.

For example: you go in as monk, the astrologian promptly fucks off to fish, you can either a. try a harder fight with one healer and maybe die a lot (which might not accomplish anything), b. sit around being a dick to the now-fisher (which will not accomplish anything), or c. switch to scholar and get in a different flavor of DPS while letting Selene help heal (which will probably help accomplish something).

for every retard who only has astrologian leveled there are also people who only have dps leveled.

i guarantee you if there was a way to prevent gathering in random queues morde would be sitting in this thread complaining about how those loving pubbies are ruining his video game experience and SE is really bad at game design

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Glorious.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Doublestep posted:

for every retard who only has astrologian leveled there are also people who only have dps leveled.

i guarantee you if there was a way to prevent gathering in random queues morde would be sitting in this thread complaining about how those loving pubbies are ruining his video game experience and SE is really bad at game design

I do think there's a major logic hole in all of these suggestions to only switch jobs if you queue in as DPS. It assumes that people who queue as DPS are literally incapable of switching to tank or healer. Or even that they're capable of it but so unwilling as to go to extremes and dig in their heels to avoid doing so. That's... honestly pretty unrealistic.

Sure, like you said, there'll be some people who only have DPS leveled, just like Mordiceius here only has a healer leveled. But there are an awful lot of people with multiple roles leveled who can just shrug and switch. Odds are extremely slim that everyone in the group has limited enough job diversity that the group as a whole cannot adapt. Even if two of the DPS are "I ONLY DEEPS LOOK AT MY LEVEL 0 CONJURER", the other three are probably more like "yeah, I'd rather DPS if possible, but given the choice I'd prefer to heal rather than do nothing or wipe a lot".

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Belzac posted:

Who ever killed my wonderful fracture avatar has done this thread a disservice.

This tbh

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Man the OF is going hog wild with the bad opinions today.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
give me my cartoon penis avatar back

rudejerk
Jul 22, 2014

Actual Shit
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Man the OF is going hog wild with the bad opinions today.

Oh is Mordicieus posting there too?

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

armoredgorilla posted:

Diadem makes a lot of petty people really insecure about their elite video gamer status, it's the best content FFXIV has produced.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Vil posted:

I do think there's a major logic hole in all of these suggestions to only switch jobs if you queue in as DPS. It assumes that people who queue as DPS are literally incapable of switching to tank or healer. Or even that they're capable of it but so unwilling as to go to extremes and dig in their heels to avoid doing so. That's... honestly pretty unrealistic.

Sure, like you said, there'll be some people who only have DPS leveled, just like Mordiceius here only has a healer leveled. But there are an awful lot of people with multiple roles leveled who can just shrug and switch. Odds are extremely slim that everyone in the group has limited enough job diversity that the group as a whole cannot adapt. Even if two of the DPS are "I ONLY DEEPS LOOK AT MY LEVEL 0 CONJURER", the other three are probably more like "yeah, I'd rather DPS if possible, but given the choice I'd prefer to heal rather than do nothing or wipe a lot".

I kinda get it - if a DPS switches to a gathering job, it's not that big a deal, and no one (necessarily) has to replace them. If a healer or tank does, you do have to replace them, and there's a small (probably sub-5%) chance that your group won't be able to handle it. From a utilitarian point of view, doing it as a DPS is the way least likely to cause you problems

Also, Mordiceius, a piece of actual advice:

If you really don't enjoy DPS, you should just level Scholar. Scholar is a nice alternative to Astrologian as a healing class, and not only are SCH/SMN the best classes for Diadem, but you can just queue up as SMN to sidestep the "essential role changed" problem entirely!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
If you keep quoting things that are untrue it doesn't make them more true.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

This isn't remotely the case and it's frankly really funny that a bunch of people who spend a large portion of time making fun of people who haven't paid $10 for an internet forum are now doing the exact same thing as said people, but with somehow an even larger lack of self awareness.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

megalodong posted:

This isn't remotely the case and it's frankly really funny that a bunch of people who spend a large portion of time making fun of people who haven't paid $10 for an internet forum are now doing the exact same thing as said people, but with somehow an even larger lack of self awareness.

Like this is the same poo poo as being physically AFK in Alexander, or early pulling a hunt when there's no other hunt to go to - it provides marginal utility to you, at the cost (or utility, apparently) of being a dick to people who haven't done anything wrong. And there are people defending it as the good / funny thing to do :wtc:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Niton posted:

I kinda get it - if a DPS switches to a gathering job, it's not that big a deal, and no one (necessarily) has to replace them. If a healer or tank does, you do have to replace them, and there's a small (probably sub-5%) chance that your group won't be able to handle it. From a utilitarian point of view, doing it as a DPS is the way least likely to cause you problems

I'd estimate that the odds of it being An Actual Problem are even lower than 5%. But maybe I'm just naively positive about how diverse people are in the roles they level. (As a data guy, this promptly makes me curious of the Venn diagram distribution of players between the three roles, among players with more than one job at 60.)

But yes, that's a good point. DPS disappearing does not necessitate a change, healer disappearing probably necessitates a change, and tank disappearing (since it's 1/2/5 rather than 2/2/4, I think?) definitely necessitates a change.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Honestly I knew that Diadem, largely ignored by the playerbase in meta discussion leading up to the patch, would be kind of a big deal and cause explosive amounts of drama. :munch:

Seriously y'all, I know that death of the game creator is a thing but a lot of people are looking at it in a "glass half empty" kind of way that is perverting what is actually really cool and good about it. It's a catchup mechanic that isn't completely goddamned worthless for people who have been farming A4S since that was a thing, even beyond the rather abstract reward of sitting on a pile of sky pirate coins for materia to pop into your future 3.2 raid gear. Such people have a chance of getting something marginally better than their gear, and that's cool. For everyone else, esp the "midcore" it's a fun catchup mechanic that offers i210 gear to help get the ol' item level up in hopes that someday before 3.2 you can clear A3S.

Seriously, please for your own sakes, just stop handwringing about that there is theoretically maybe a possibility of getting an entire gearset slightly better than your i210 raid drops because that's not the point of Diadem and it never was. It's not even clear at this point what kind of time commitment and realistic possibility getting such gear even is in the first place. Have fun grinding the poo poo out of diadem and stockpiling tokens and enjoy what BiS i210 you actually get instead of agonizing over what BiS i210 might exist.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Samba De Amigo posted:

It's a dumb sentiment and I'm aware, but when the raids are designed around 8 people pulling their weight you want to try and make your team as successful as possible you start to get dumb ideas and thoughts like this. And just because you wipe at 1% or don't have that gear doesn't make it your fault or even necessarily your team's, but it doesn't stop you from wondering what if.

Then stop wondering about it on your own. Because you shouldn't - Diadem gear won't make that big a difference.

My incredibly casual-as-hell raidgroup that had attendance issues all throughout the middle of 3.0 is just now getting to the back half of Savage Alex. We've only really started getting 210 gear of any sort regularly.

We still clown on A1S in two pulls at most these days, and were doing so in nearly all 200-or-lower gear, and we're getting pretty close to having A2S be that clean to kill too. And I know from what I've seen that A3S and A4S, like drat near all the fights in this game, will come down more to execution than to damage. For my part, I'm going to be getting my farthings, I'll do a bit of daily hunting and maybe some other stuff if it comes up and time permits, I'll probably do a bit of Diadem every now and then, and I'll be confident that I'll upgrade my 200 set to 210 at a good pace and be an effective, contributing member of the team. I cannot possibly conceive of the situation in which having .5% better sub-stats on one piece of gear would have Turned The Tide; the only 1% wipes I've seen in Yoshida's XIV have been down to execution, and subsequent pulls have always beaten the boss easily with time to spare. And I cannot, cannot conceive the early bosses of Alex Two being so tightly tuned that such optimization makes that much of a difference.

Unless you are explicitly a world-first raider - unless such a contribution matters to the very existence of your group - do not worry about Diadem optimal gear. No, don't. Don't. This is a mental block, not one the game is putting up. The substats in this game don't matter that much*. You will be fine if you're in 210 gear by 3.2.

You will be fine.

*(Now, Diadem gear being comically better for DPS-contributing healers because healers want DPS-level accuracy and have the tools to do significant DPS but the item and dungeon design teams refuse to give them this accuracy and don't seem to design the fights around healers doing good DPS when they theoretically can and should... well, that's less about Diadem gear specifically and more about there being a disconnect on XIV's design team itself, and one that's been festering for two years. Diadem's loot design just happened, by accident I think, to stumble right into the middle of that problem. I can level with any healer, especially a Scholar, feeling like they have to rock full Diadem accuracy gear, because that elephant in the rooom's been getting particularly restless since 2.4, and I wish the design team would just finally address it one way or the other.)

Also as someone who actually raids with Technogeek, this thread is about to get very strange for me

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

gently caress i'm agreeing with you on something

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

SpaceDrake posted:

*(Now, Diadem gear being comically better for DPS-contributing healers because healers want DPS-level accuracy and have the tools to do significant DPS but the item and dungeon design teams refuse to give them this accuracy and don't seem to design the fights around healers doing good DPS when they theoretically can and should... well, that's less about Diadem gear specifically and more about there being a disconnect on XIV's design team itself, and one that's been festering for two years. Diadem's loot design just happened, by accident I think, to stumble right into the middle of that problem. I can level with any healer, especially a Scholar, feeling like they have to rock full Diadem accuracy gear, because that elephant in the rooom's been getting particularly restless since 2.4, and I wish the design team would just finally address it one way or the other.)

Unfortunately, the Diadem Accuracy dream is dead. I've looked at probably 30 Diadem healing pieces, and no accuracy to be seen :smith:

..but now I don't have to farm it :unsmith:

Talking to you guys has made me come around on Diadem gear - I think it's cool that it exists, and it's nice to have something to chase. I hope I get a few nice pieces before 3.2, but I also know how much of an outlier the good drops are. Also, the Pegasus owns.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

That prompts another question: does Diadem healer gear include accuracy as a possible substat in the first place, or is it just piety crit det spellspeed?

e: Well, that ^ answers that.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
speaking of healer accuracy, im really glad there are no accuracy requirements for diadem proper

if i was missing malefics i would be really sad on some of the IV/Vs that i can dps for extended periods

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

when you get a chance can you add the three new job icons as smileys on ffgoons, I can't do it myself since it requires uploads to the server

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Hey people, you're just feeling the wrong things. Just chill out and don't feel those things. The game is a lot more fun if you don't feel.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Doublestep posted:

speaking of healer accuracy, im really glad there are no accuracy requirements for diadem proper

if i was missing malefics i would be really sad on some of the IV/Vs that i can dps for extended periods

Yeah, i'm super glad about that. I hope they switch Accuracy to a sliding scale one day (hits do less damage / more damage depending on Accuracy), but i'll definitely take this over missing 3 Broils in a row during Hand of Pain.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Belzac posted:

Hey people, you're just feeling the wrong things. Just chill out and don't feel those things. The game is a lot more fun if you don't feel.

This but unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

Unless you are explicitly a world-first raider - unless such a contribution matters to the very existence of your group - do not worry about Diadem optimal gear. No, don't. Don't. This is a mental block, not one the game is putting up. The substats in this game don't matter that much*. You will be fine if you're in 210 gear by 3.2.

I agree, and I'm aware the concept I expressed is pretty drat silly and I'm not worrying about it too heavily myself but I do see where people are coming from on this. I'm not arguing that the gear itself would fix the 1/10000000000 1% or less wipe; if that even happens just pull again and finish it off! That was us in Echo Chamber before echo hit T13.

But I do feel like having that extra gear would facilitate your team better and relieve pressure from them; even if it's only like .00001% pressure from their shoulders. It's silly to take it to that much of an extreme, but I want to serve to help my teammates as much as I can.

That being said I'm with you 100% on not worrying about it. The only way I WOULD worry is if those bard pants had actually been real and gear that silly with max substats across the board existed.

Belzac posted:

Now that I'm a skeleton without a heart everything is pretty cool

Samba De Amigo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 12, 2015

• Locked thread