Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

By men's apparel, I assume you mean a men's sweater, because unless you want to wear a sweater vest, I don't know what else there is...
Well, socks, gloves, hats, etc. Thanks for the advice anyway, I'm really out of my depth regarding knitting stuff.

Anne Whateley posted:

No offense but if this is new to you, I think you need more info on gauge, yarn weight, and needle size. The pattern wants worsted weight held doubled, on size 10 and 10 1/2 needles. The yarn you linked to is aran weight, size 7-9 needles recommended, and you want to knit it on size 10 needles. Substitution can totally be done, but it would take a lot of math and experience to make it work. For your first sweater, find something you can make as-is (or sub only the yarn, only if 50+ people have already used the same yarn you want to switch to). There are a lot of options out there, and you can always make this one later when you have more experience.

e: I just saw it's also a single-ply, which isn't great for sweaters or anything else that gets a lot of wear
Oh no, totally valid, I have no idea what I'm doing with regard to gauge and yarn selection etc. I'll go closer to what a pattern wants at first.

The brownstone pullover is gorgeous, but am I reading this right? It wants 11 skeins of $12.50-a-skein Brooklyn Tweed Shelter yarn? I don't think I have the means to pay $137.50 in just materials for a sweater; even just the $36 for the three bags of the ultra-discount aran I linked earlier was getting to the upper end of what I can pay for yarn, factoring in shipping and etc bringing it up to about $50. Is that just something you suck up and deal with if you want to use nice yarn?

Marchegiana posted:

As a crocheter-turned-knitter like yourself I'd actually recommend starting something smaller like socks before you get into sweaters. Socks have enough fiddly bits to challenge you and improve your skills, while still not being a huge investment in time and materials like a sweater. The Socks 101 article on Knitty really helped me making my first pair of socks. They're super chunky with worsted weight wool, and ugly to boot, but they're the first socks I ever made so I love wearing them around the house.
I think I'll do that. I'm definitely a lot less confident in my knitting than in my crocheting, so socks would be something easier to start with that isn't just flat like a scarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Sodium Chloride posted:

I definitely would not recommend the Cobblestone Pullover Dr. Kloctopussy linked. Garter stitch in the round looks ugly as hell with the jog. Even though are a couple of techniques to garter in the round I've never been able to do them and make it look good.

2966 knitters disagree ;)

I did garter-in-the-round in Antler and it doesn't bother me. I can't really see the jog unless I'm an inch away. But that's probably true for wrap-and-turned short rows, too, and I'd never do them! That said, I think Flax is a more aesthetically pleasing sweater overall. I wouldn't do a shawl collar for my first sweater, because of the fiddlely overlapping front-bit and short-row shaping in rib stitch pattern.

The point Anne Whateley made about choosing a yarn that matches or closely matches the pattern recommendation, or at the very least one that has been used by a lot of other knitters, is spot-on. Make it easy on yourself to get gauge.

Accurately measuring your body, making sure all the sweaters measurements fit your body (including sleeves, neckline, shoulder width, lengths), and making sure you hit gauge, are going to go a long way towards making your sweater wearable.

We're gonna scare him away y'all.

Here's some other Aran yarns that are good deals:
http://littleknits.com/crystal-palace-nocturne-aran-mushrooms-color-607-full-bag-sale-5-skeins.html
http://littleknits.com/mistral-dark-grey-brown-color-1902-full-bag-sale-5-skeins.html
http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fusea...4-0D2873796AEC/
http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fusea...B-F81136B45DD4/

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
Someone wanted WIP photos of The Dude, so here is one:

That's the back. I'm using Cascade Eco, which is thicker than worsted, but I guess it works still? It's just kind of dense. It is knit in the round and then steeked. I am terrified to cut it down the middle, but quite excited.

Andrea Rangel re-wrote the pattern to be more knitter-friendly, so I'm using that. I'm actually a little further than that and have about five rows to go in that chart, and then a few more rows, and then I'm off to do sleeves. This is infinitely easier than her previous iteration. 1x1 ribbing everywhere? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The brownstone pullover is gorgeous, but am I reading this right? It wants 11 skeins of $12.50-a-skein Brooklyn Tweed Shelter yarn? I don't think I have the means to pay $137.50 in just materials for a sweater; even just the $36 for the three bags of the ultra-discount aran I linked earlier was getting to the upper end of what I can pay for yarn, factoring in shipping and etc bringing it up to about $50. Is that just something you suck up and deal with if you want to use nice yarn?
No, not at all, this part was also me:

Anne Whateley posted:

If you look under the "yarn ideas" tab, you can usually use one of the top 5 substitutes without thinking about it (but still click on those projects to make sure, and still check your gauge).
I would sub in Berroco Vintage (which is in the top 5) at ~$8/skein and not look back.

But yeah, Shelter is one of the very fanciest yarns out there, and sweaters are big projects, so you would have to pay more than you would for a sweater in a store. Most people, even if they use fancy yarns (like Madeline Tosh, indie stuff, etc.), only rarely make sweaters from them. The fanciest yarns are mostly used for smaller projects like hats, cowls, and gloves. People also justify pricy yarn by figuring out what the cost is per hour of entertainment (i.e., comparing it to seeing a movie or buying a new Steam game, not to a Sears sweater).

In this case you aren't missing much, conveniently, because while Shelter has a lot of cachet and nice colors, it's also fairly lovely tbh.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 30, 2015

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

You don't have to buy the suggested yarn. I would never buy a pure wool yarn at that price. $12 for 50g is super expensive (even at half the price it's too much!). There are many yarns available that are just as nice but cheaper.

Flax would be a great choice because it is a top down raglan and they are quite forgiving. It doesn't matter as much is your gauge is slightly off. You can try it on as you go and add more increases if you need to. And Tincanknits write clear instructions.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

2966 knitters disagree ;)

That the pattern has been knitted many times doesn't mean anything other than Jared Flood is popular.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 30, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Well, socks, gloves, hats, etc. Thanks for the advice anyway, I'm really out of my depth regarding knitting stuff.

I think I'll do that. I'm definitely a lot less confident in my knitting than in my crocheting, so socks would be something easier to start with that isn't just flat like a scarf.

Hats are also great. The bigger size makes them a bit easier, you can use short-circulars instead of DPNs for most of them, and no heel-turning. I'm probably biased though, since I've never knit a sock in my life and am not that interested in doing so. Sweaters for life. Another option would be to do a scarf with a stitch-pattern detail, especially one using increases/decreases so you practice a lot of those. You could make yourself a matching hat/scarf set. I'd pick whatever you are more likely to wear, though.

Re: price, seriously I would never buy a pure wool yarn at that price either, ugggghhhhh so expensive. Little Knits full bag sales for life.

As long as we're talking sweater price calculations, here is a spreadsheet I made:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11UheyBOyUMDY-2UanCrkp6GBnTOB2m3TmV62hy3qRiM/edit#gid=0

It can calculate:
- price of project in given yarn
- compare price of project in up to 3 yarns
- skeins of yarn required per project

It's also got a lot of my favorite sweaters punched in, so if you are an XL lady with my taste, it will make pattern recommendations, too.

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 30, 2015

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

LittleKnits is my spirit animal and are the only reason I've done most of my sweaters. As a big dude who wears XL shirts, buying a sweater's worth of yarn takes some saving.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I actually bussed down to the sketchy industrial district yesterday to pick some stuff up at Little Knits, only to find out they are only open MWF. :( So much for my hour on the bus.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

ackapoo posted:

Someone wanted WIP photos of The Dude, so here is one:

That's the back. I'm using Cascade Eco, which is thicker than worsted, but I guess it works still? It's just kind of dense. It is knit in the round and then steeked. I am terrified to cut it down the middle, but quite excited.

Andrea Rangel re-wrote the pattern to be more knitter-friendly, so I'm using that. I'm actually a little further than that and have about five rows to go in that chart, and then a few more rows, and then I'm off to do sleeves. This is infinitely easier than her previous iteration. 1x1 ribbing everywhere? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

This is beautiful.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

So I'm knitting a sock with an afterthought heel for the first time. I'm going cuff down and I've put in my waste yarn and kept knitting for an inch or two. I'm just a bit confused on how to decide when to decrease for the toe. I've looked at many tutorials and blogs. I guess my problem is that they mostly say to knit to 4 inches or so less than the desired length. Is my desired length the whole length of my foot from back edge of my heel to tip of big toe? I know that 4 inches is for the heel and toe space. Do I measure from the line of the waste yarn? Is there a comparison to a heel flap sock out there? Can anyone provide a link to more explicit instructions? Thanks!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Did a mystery knit with nupps.

And it didn't end up horribly asymmetrical!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 2, 2015

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Ok, because of a series of ridiculous events, I am leaving on Saturday to head to the South Pole for six weeks. That's a thing that's happening. I'm taking a bunch of yarn and things as projects to do while I'm gone. I want to make some mittens, and I have every kind of yarn from the thinnest lace to the most ridiculous super chunk in a variety of fibers. What, in general, makes the warmest fabric that still has flexibility? Thick yarn big needles? Thick yarn small needles? Medium yarn small needles? Single ply? Double ply? Handspun? How do I warm, goons? HOW DO I WARM?

I've got six days of travel before I actually get to the region where it's -56F with a windchill of -83 F, so lots of knitting time on planes.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
If you have some roving, make thrummed mittens!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Thick yarn on thin needles is a pain in the rear end and very inflexible. Alpaca and possum are the warmest I know of, seconding thrummed mittens or even just double layered ones.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Silk mawata/hankies pulled into roving and knit is also very, very warm. Pain in the rear end to work with though unless you do regular hand exfoliation.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I know it's a super long shot, but I need less than half a skein of Madelinetosh Vintage in baltic to finish a project, and as a super broke student I really don't want to shell out for a full skein I'm going to use just a tiny amount of.... if anyone here happens to have scraps lying around, I'd scrape up some change to throw your way for them.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

I know it's a super long shot, but I need less than half a skein of Madelinetosh Vintage in baltic to finish a project, and as a super broke student I really don't want to shell out for a full skein I'm going to use just a tiny amount of.... if anyone here happens to have scraps lying around, I'd scrape up some change to throw your way for them.

Have you checked Rav?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Peppercat posted:

So I'm knitting a sock with an afterthought heel for the first time. I'm going cuff down and I've put in my waste yarn and kept knitting for an inch or two. I'm just a bit confused on how to decide when to decrease for the toe. I've looked at many tutorials and blogs. I guess my problem is that they mostly say to knit to 4 inches or so less than the desired length. Is my desired length the whole length of my foot from back edge of my heel to tip of big toe? I know that 4 inches is for the heel and toe space. Do I measure from the line of the waste yarn? Is there a comparison to a heel flap sock out there? Can anyone provide a link to more explicit instructions? Thanks!

Desired length is toe-to-heel, yep.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Did a mystery knit with nupps.

And it didn't end up horribly asymmetrical!

Pretty! What pattern is this?

Valdara posted:

Ok, because of a series of ridiculous events, I am leaving on Saturday to head to the South Pole for six weeks. That's a thing that's happening. I'm taking a bunch of yarn and things as projects to do while I'm gone. I want to make some mittens, and I have every kind of yarn from the thinnest lace to the most ridiculous super chunk in a variety of fibers. What, in general, makes the warmest fabric that still has flexibility? Thick yarn big needles? Thick yarn small needles? Medium yarn small needles? Single ply? Double ply? Handspun? How do I warm, goons? HOW DO I WARM?

I've got six days of travel before I actually get to the region where it's -56F with a windchill of -83 F, so lots of knitting time on planes.

Buffalo fiber, 3 layers, thrums. (Just in case you have a chunk of change to throw at it!)

Worsted weight on US4 is thicker but still very flexible and wasn't hard to knit using merino wool. Alpaca will be warm but doesn't have much memory, same with silk. Maybe a 50/50 alpaca/wool blend, at least two layers, with thrums? Go down a couple of sizes from the recommended needles to see what it knits like. I would also suggest treating the knitted mitten as a mitten liner for something more engineered. Then you'll have a toasty knitted layer AND a wind/water-proof extra-insulated layer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Agreed that at the actual South Pole, you'll want something designed for a year-round high of –20° F, which I can't even imagine. Liners are a good idea, though, as long as they fit inside the mitten. I would do fingering alpaca, but don't knit it too densely -- the loft is what traps the hot air in all its layers and keeps you warm. With no idea how big the outer mittens will be, you might want to do two sizes, one basically skintight fingering and the other slightly larger DK or worsted (I would go down a needle size or two for those, but still not too dense).

You could also make fuzzy socks or something for wearing around inside the base, where you want to be cozy but you aren't relying on knitting to save you from frostbite/death.

BTW, DETAILS PLEASE

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

effika posted:

Pretty! What pattern is this?

It is Vanessa Ives

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

left_unattended posted:

Have you checked Rav?
Yup, two listings for trade/sale: one full skein that they're charging more for than I could pay at my LYS, and a group of skeins :-/

It's not that big of a deal, it's nice yarn. I can figure out something to do with it.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Anne Whateley posted:

Agreed that at the actual South Pole, you'll want something designed for a year-round high of –20° F, which I can't even imagine. Liners are a good idea, though, as long as they fit inside the mitten. I would do fingering alpaca, but don't knit it too densely -- the loft is what traps the hot air in all its layers and keeps you warm. With no idea how big the outer mittens will be, you might want to do two sizes, one basically skintight fingering and the other slightly larger DK or worsted (I would go down a needle size or two for those, but still not too dense).

You could also make fuzzy socks or something for wearing around inside the base, where you want to be cozy but you aren't relying on knitting to save you from frostbite/death.

BTW, DETAILS PLEASE

Oh, I have the engineered mittens and two pair of liners made by actual professional cold weather engineering companies and bought from REI. I just have hours and hours and hours of time on planes and in airports and hotels during the six days of travel it takes to get there, and I'm almost finished with a pair of socks and already have hats and scarves taken care or. I think it'd be cool to wear mittens I made myself, too.

Thrumming looks awesome. I have tons of fiber that I was going to take, anyway. I have some unbelievably soft baby goat fleece I can use, plus pounds and pounds of other things. I even have some alpaca, but I'll want to rub around on it a bit to see whether it's scratchy or not.

Thanks, folks! More advice would be super welcome.

Deets: Leaving Nov 7 to fly from SF to LA to Sydney to Christchurch to McMurdo to Pole. I'm working as an engineer on the telescope BICEP3 out of Stanford. In real life I'm a high school physics teacher who has worked with the lab for the past two summers, but also has a degree in systems engineering with experience designing for Antarctic conditions. So, I worked it out with my school, and I'm gone through the end of the semester. Gonna be so exciting.

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.
Oops, I totally forgot I did that Boo Knits MKAL for Voodoo. I didn't take any good pictures either, sorry! I knew I would never wear it, so I gave it to my mom.

Right after that I cast on Naloa with some stash yarn that I'll also probably never wear. I secretly am really enjoying lace work... what's wrong with me?!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Valdara posted:

Deets: Leaving Nov 7 to fly from SF to LA to Sydney to Christchurch to McMurdo to Pole. I'm working as an engineer on the telescope BICEP3 out of Stanford. In real life I'm a high school physics teacher who has worked with the lab for the past two summers, but also has a degree in systems engineering with experience designing for Antarctic conditions. So, I worked it out with my school, and I'm gone through the end of the semester. Gonna be so exciting.
That's beyond awesome. Did you read the old A/T threads from Pole workers? You should try to link up with some of them! Although I guess it's inevitable when you're down there!

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Anne Whateley posted:

That's beyond awesome. Did you read the old A/T threads from Pole workers? You should try to link up with some of them! Although I guess it's inevitable when you're down there!

I can't find any specifically about being at Pole. I don't have archives, but I'll post in there a bit and see if anyone has any connections.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Goldaline posted:

If you have some roving, make thrummed mittens!

I had to look this up because I had never heard of it before, and holy poo poo. Next project found.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Valdara posted:

I can't find any specifically about being at Pole. I don't have archives, but I'll post in there a bit and see if anyone has any connections.
I don't have links because the threads are all pretty old afaik, but there were a ton of Pole workers with the last contractor -- I think the last thread said they were switching contractors and hiring different people, so I'm not sure who's still around. But the threads were super interesting! I think there may have been some scientists, but I remember a lot of them were pretty normal jobs, like a cook or IT guy, just at McMurdo instead of suburbia. There were threads for several years, other goons applied and got in as a result, and I think there were a good handful at the end!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
So grateful for my knitting today: at a union delegate forum and while it's somewhat interesting I have the attention span of a small child and I fiddle constantly, so I'm plugging away at a Christmas Sock while I listen. Had quite a few comments on it, lots of awe which I find hilarious because it's a dead basic pattern. Our local Union Organiser called it an old lady sport so I threatened to throw my muffin wrapper at him.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't have links because the threads are all pretty old afaik, but there were a ton of Pole workers with the last contractor -- I think the last thread said they were switching contractors and hiring different people, so I'm not sure who's still around. But the threads were super interesting! I think there may have been some scientists, but I remember a lot of them were pretty normal jobs, like a cook or IT guy, just at McMurdo instead of suburbia. There were threads for several years, other goons applied and got in as a result, and I think there were a good handful at the end!

The obvious solution is to ask everyone I meet if they have stairs in their house. It's sure to win me many friends.

Edit: Article about the thing: http://kipac.stanford.edu/kipac/taking-polar-plunge-engineer-turned-teacher-heads-south-pole-bicep3

Valdara fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 5, 2015

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

It's drying right now. I am going to steek it when it's dry. I am excited and terrified.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Dude, very dude, man. That's awesome. Good luck with the steeking. You are so brave.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This thread makes me feel totally inadequate! I've been knitting for a long time, but never really gotten too serious with it. I don't knit clothes, and have a lot of crappy scarves and hats that I've made for myself over the years, but otherwise the only things I've ever really made were various stuffed creatures as Christmas gifts. I don't have pictures of a lot of them anymore, but I still have this peashooter from Plants vs. Zombies and this stylized Haunter from Pokemon from several years ago. These were the first two I ever did.

I'm currently doing my first venture into double knitting and it's going well I think, but man, the counting and constantly checking and rechecking the pattern has made this the slowest I've ever done anything.

I only really knit for Christmas, but every time I learn some new technique, so it really make Fall a lot of fun.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
This thread has inspired me to start working on a Hitchhiker shawl.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

ackapoo posted:

It's drying right now. I am going to steek it when it's dry. I am excited and terrified.

This is going to be great when it's finished. It looks absolutely perfect; I can't wait to see your steek!

Asiina posted:

This thread makes me feel totally inadequate! I've been knitting for a long time, but never really gotten too serious with it. I don't knit clothes, and have a lot of crappy scarves and hats that I've made for myself over the years, but otherwise the only things I've ever really made were various stuffed creatures as Christmas gifts. I don't have pictures of a lot of them anymore, but I still have this peashooter from Plants vs. Zombies and this stylized Haunter from Pokemon from several years ago. These were the first two I ever did.

I'm currently doing my first venture into double knitting and it's going well I think, but man, the counting and constantly checking and rechecking the pattern has made this the slowest I've ever done anything.

I only really knit for Christmas, but every time I learn some new technique, so it really make Fall a lot of fun.

Never feel inadequate. You are doing loving fantastic work there, especially the double knitting.

I've been busy spinning and weaving for class, mostly, but I did manage to crank out most of a baby hat today for a gift. Sorry for the lovely phone photo.

I need to finish writing out a sock pattern at some point this evening too.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I'm currently producing a line of high end fiber tools. I don't want to get too specific on the internet because we haven't filed patents yet, but I was wondering if there are tools people wish they had, would want to buy, or wish were available. We've already produced needle guages, WPI/SPI tools, measuring tools, lucets, looms, shuttles, and disc looms, and are currently producing a diz. Is there anything else you use, wish you had access to, or feel are emblematic of your craft?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Well, needles are the big one? Row counters. People get super obsessed with stitch markers, project bags, and yarn bowls. Niddy-noddys, umbrella swifts, winders. The things that claim to count how many yards you have are hot garbage.

You should ask in the fiber/spinning thread, too. Lots of extremely expensive equipment in fleece processing.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

hamjobs posted:

This is going to be great when it's finished. It looks absolutely perfect; I can't wait to see your steek!

The sweater's done, but I need to weave in all of the ends and add the buttons. I am taking it up to Prescott this weekend, so I'll try to get better photos up there. :)

This is what it looked like after I finished the tubular BO on the button band/collar:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

ackapoo posted:

The sweater's done, but I need to weave in all of the ends and add the buttons. I am taking it up to Prescott this weekend, so I'll try to get better photos up there. :)

This is what it looked like after I finished the tubular BO on the button band/collar:

This is fantastic! And I don't even get the Big Lebowski. I really have to try to watch it again.

Stitch Bitch
May 19, 2005

Bitch I got that
:h:~fuckin swag~:h:

ackapoo posted:

That looks awesome! I'm really looking forward to trying this one out hopefully in the not-so-distant future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Sup Knit-goons

I recently got married and also just back into knitting and crochet after a prolonged hiatus. I've been getting back into the swing with some simple projects (wash clothes, coasters, dice bags, etc).

My new bride has asked me to knit her a shawl. I have never made a shawl, and it seems a bit daunting. So, I have a few questions:
1) any good beginner shawl patterns for a first timer?

2) any tips or advice for my first shawl?

3) what kind of yarn should I use? (Wool? Cotton? Acrylic? Other?)

4) advantages/disadvantages of different weight yarn for a shawl? (Ex. Fingering vs worsted).