Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Watched Richard Stanley's documentary The Otherworld this morning after getting woken up at 4am. Tired and confused is the best time to see that movie. A mix of doofy orb-obsessed expats, bemused and sometimes pissed off locals, a slightly mental skeleton wizard and Stanley himself discuss the history & mystical goings on in Montsegur, France. It's engaging, goofy, eerie and beautiful to look at.

E: sorry, Netflix US

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

That's not Freida Pinto's butt? Well whoever it is, she's a very lovely woman.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but don't be angry.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Lamenting that the butt you saw on screen is not the actual butt of the actress on screen is pretty creepy, folks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Lamenting that the butt you saw on screen is not the actual butt of the actress on screen is pretty creepy, folks.

No, I don't think it really is. Now if he was lamenting the lack of unsimulated sex in Irreversible, that would be creepy. Wanting to see a pretty woman naked? That sounds pretty darn universal to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Oh please.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

No, I don't think it really is. Now if he was lamenting the lack of unsimulated sex in Irreversible, that would be creepy. Wanting to see a pretty woman naked? That sounds pretty darn universal to me.

Butts are great. Being upset the movie tricked you into thinking you got to ogle a particular person's butt but it was actually a different person's butt has a gross sense of entitlement about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Butts are great. Being upset the movie tricked you into thinking you got to ogle a particular person's butt but it was actually a different person's butt has a gross sense of entitlement about it.

No, it doesn't. If you think I am implying that I am raging because I didn't get to see Freida Pinto's butt, that's projecting.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Dr Monkeysee posted:

You would have a point if there was no butt trickery at all and someone was complaining about a complete lack of a persons butt in the movie, but the movie makers use a stunt butt because they know it will trick your butt identity capabilities.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Monkeysee posted:

i think you are the one who sounds like a weirdo here

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

You have taken the fun out of an rear end based chat. I don't even know anymore.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dr Monkeysee posted:

He didn't actually seem all that upset.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Glamorama26 posted:

You have taken the fun out of a butt based chat. I don't even know anymore.

Watch your mouth, pal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think you are the one who sounds like a weirdo here

:agreed:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I can sense your frustrated, rear end-derived erections from here and it sickens me, you weirdos.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mysterious frankie posted:

I can sense your frustrated, rear end-derived erections from here and it sickens me, you weirdos.

I don't have an erection because the butt was a lie!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I've jerked it to hundreds of movies,stuntbutts, real butts,

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

weirdos, all of you! boners everywhere! I'm being gangstalked by erections!
---
Looks like The Wolfpack is up on Netflix streaming.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How hairy was the butt?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DangerDummy! posted:

Watch your mouth rear end, pal.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Every thread I follow has had a butt conversation this week, with varied degrees of butt jokes and people accusing the butt jokers of being creepy.

Is there some kind of planetary alignment I don't know about? Here's an easy softball lob for someone to make a Uranus joke, don't let me down thread!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Butts are good. I would know.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and holy gently caress was that refreshing after my Human Centepide trilogy marathon. If you like spy movies and haven't seen it you really owe it to yourself to watch it. It's a hard movie to follow because so many of the little details and plot threads are easy to miss if you aren't paying close attention, but it's extremely enjoyable trying to piece together the full picture as you watch along. The rewatch was just as enjoyable as the first time since I could pick up on so many of the things I missed the first watch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm half way through Master of None and it is pretty drat good. I didn't know what to expect because Aziz Ansari has been sort of hit or miss lately, but it's really solid. Reminds me of a young guys Louie.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 13, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

I'm half way through Master of None and it is pretty drat good. I didn't know what to expect because Aziz Ansari has been sort of hit or miss lately, but it's really solid. Reminds me of a young guys Louie.
I only saw the first season of Louie, but I'm on episode 4 of Master of None right now and I'm enjoying it way more than I enjoyed what I saw of Louie. Everyone on this show is in top form. Jon Benjamin, Eric Wareheim, Aziz's parents and Aziz himself are all fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually might enjoy it more than Louie myself. Louie can be really good, but it can also be a little pretentious and cheesy.

Actually, I don't like Eric Warheim in Master of None though. I think his character kind of sucks. I like everything else. Jon Benjamin was great. I hope he is in more episodes.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and holy gently caress was that refreshing after my Human Centepide trilogy marathon. If you like spy movies and haven't seen it you really owe it to yourself to watch it. It's a hard movie to follow because so many of the little details and plot threads are easy to miss if you aren't paying close attention, but it's extremely enjoyable trying to piece together the full picture as you watch along. The rewatch was just as enjoyable as the first time since I could pick up on so many of the things I missed the first watch.

I saw this in the theaters and couldn't tell if I was retarded or it was just a really confusing and boring movie. Maybe I'll rewatch it to find out

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
It's a weird adaptation of a good book. They didn't try to replace all of the internal thoughts and descriptions in the book, they just left them out. The acting is really good and there are good scenes in it, but I wouldn't have understood any of it if I hadn't read the book.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I saw this in the theaters and couldn't tell if I was retarded or it was just a really confusing and boring movie. Maybe I'll rewatch it to find out

I logically know that it is probably a good or possibly great movie, even just from looking at the cast, but I almost fell asleep just watching the trailer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

It was one of the few movies that actually bored me to sleep

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I really liked it, so I'm with you.

The 70s was such a dirty, ugly decade.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if you guys think the movie was dry, you should read the book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wafflesnsegways posted:

It's a weird adaptation of a good book. They didn't try to replace all of the internal thoughts and descriptions in the book, they just left them out.

It does what good adaptations do: let the actors convey the interiority that the novel provides in text.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I liked TTSS, but I'll admit I had little clue what was going on until the quick recap at the end (since I've never read the book). I found the performances engaging, though.

Today I watched Under The Skin and The Visitor, both up on Amazon Prime. I had high hopes for Under The Skin based on the attention it got when it came out, and the earlier bits when she's out 'hunting' where nice (apparently most of the dialogue there was improv), but it felt like it ground to a halt halfway through. One of my complaints is that it feels like a 22 min. episode of The Twilight Zone that's been stretched out to nearly 2 hours, without adding any additional story. Another complaint is that Scarlet Johansson has to carry nearly the entire film on her own, but her only lines are the bits I mentioned earlier. Which wouldn't be a problem in and of itself; other actors are done it before successfully. But in this case the fact that she's playing an alien masquerading as human with actually feeling most human emotions, means that she never emotes. And without lines or emoting, I never felt like I was watching her act for most of the film, just very extended scenes of her standing, sitting, or walking in various locations. Great cinematography, though, so it was nice to look at.

The Visitor was an eighties sci-fi/fantasy/horror (I'm honestly not sure what it was supposed to be) film, that finally managed to answer the question that had been nagging me for years: 'What if The Omen were remade by a Scientologist, with a dash of self-aware pedophilia and a comically inappropriate funk score?"

Then, in the last 15 minutes, it got weird. Weird enough the even Lance loving Henriksen looked like he was struggling to maintain his dignity.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I didn't find Tinker, Tailor all that hard to follow per se, but I think part of that is that you aren't really meant to "follow" the spy stuff completely. It's meaningless bullshit, boys and girls playing a ridiculous game with real lives and no real sense of consequence or goals. Hence the one guy's absurd bluster about how "we're on the front lines now" when they're called out on their incompetence.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Paper Kaiju posted:

The Visitor was an eighties sci-fi/fantasy/horror (I'm honestly not sure what it was supposed to be) film, that finally managed to answer the question that had been nagging me for years: 'What if The Omen were remade by a Scientologist, with a dash of self-aware pedophilia and a comically inappropriate funk score?"

Then, in the last 15 minutes, it got weird. Weird enough the even Lance loving Henriksen looked like he was struggling to maintain his dignity.

I'm glad someone else can confirm that The Visitor exists. I mentioned it in this thread a while ago and got nothing. I was hoping to form an ad hoc support group for people left in the wake of that bewildering film, but since no one was forthcoming at the time I just went ahead and channeled all that rage and confusion into the resurrection of the Northside Chicago street gang The Almighty Gaylords.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DeimosRising posted:

I didn't find Tinker, Tailor all that hard to follow per se, but I think part of that is that you aren't really meant to "follow" the spy stuff completely. It's meaningless bullshit, boys and girls playing a ridiculous game with real lives and no real sense of consequence or goals. Hence the one guy's absurd bluster about how "we're on the front lines now" when they're called out on their incompetence.

This is how I took it. I haven't read the book but by the end I did more or less get everything that had happened. It is incredibly dry and slow but in my estimation it didn't take anything away from it. Oldman, Hardy and the guy from Stardust all acquitted themselves very well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How you gonna leave out Toby Jones, Mark Strong, Colin Firth, etc...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My memory is shite, is how.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How you gonna leave out Toby Jones, Mark Strong, Colin Firth, etc...

even Cumberbatch was really good in that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Visitor is great because on paper it's just "The Omen meets Chariots of the Gods" but in practice is something wholly original.

Also the music and that opening monologue.