Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

BillBear posted:

Obsidian have been pretty consistent on saying they'll return to the west coast if they get the chance to make fallout again.

Fallout: Seattle it is, then. We can visit iconic places like the Space Needle and Frasier's apartment!

Someone has to make a New York Fallout one of these days. Maybe just restrict it to Manhattan or something. I want to run around inside inexplicably still-standing but beat to hell skyscrapers and kill super mutants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Again, if Obsidian would make another Fallout on their own they should either use their own engine instead using the Bethesda one and improve it with basically official mods, or fully work together with Bethesda and let them design the world and the locale and Obsidian could design the quests and the story, so we could have the best of both worlds.

Of course the second one will be hard to pull off even more so since they live on the opposite sides of the continent.
There's also the thing that with New Vegas they re-used all the Van Buren ideas, so I don't know what new ideas they might have.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not just a sad face. That's a zombie face. Watch your rads :stonk:

drat I didnt know it was that bad! I only got a few radaway but I guess its time I stop being such a cheap rear end and eat one. Thats funny you can turn into a ghoul? What happens then? Can you turn back into a normal person? This isnt good :ohdear:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Why is changing the setting so important? The landmarks are slightly different and you see Boston poo poo instead of DC poo poo and you beat up a raider in a museum of ben franklin instead of space.

Amazing A+ feels like a totally new experience. This is completely different from when I did the same poo poo, but with sand on the ground instead of leaves.

I guess it's just a thing like GTA and Assassins Creed play the latest entry and see all the sights. That stuff doesn't really entice me to play the next one though, but people seem very excited about possible new settings.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Meowbot posted:

drat I didnt know it was that bad! I only got a few radaway but I guess its time I stop being such a cheap rear end and eat one. Thats funny you can turn into a ghoul? What happens then? Can you turn back into a normal person? This isnt good :ohdear:

in diamond city market there's a doctor who will completely get rid of all rads for 40 caps. go to him. now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

I'm not super up to date on my Fallout lore but I imagine NYC would have gotten hammered by nukes and would be completely uninhabitable.

Then again one would probably say the same of DC.

There's a kind of thermonuclear bomb known as a 'salted bomb' which is designed to minimize the energy explosion and maximize the radiation fallout. Could just say that one of those was dropped on NY, leaving most buildings intact but still pushing things heavily into fallout type conditions. You'd be exploring through NY after the level came down enough to be survivable, like Chernobyl. Would be pretty cool if they did it like Chernobyl and had some of the buildings completely intact, just abandoned.

Meowbot posted:

I don't know! Find out the hard way :unsmigghh:

There's also a perk which heals you when you take radiation and it mentions becoming a ghoul, not sure how that all works out in practice.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rakthar posted:

Why is changing the setting so important? The landmarks are slightly different and you see Boston poo poo instead of DC poo poo and you beat up a raider in a museum of ben franklin instead of space.

Amazing A+ feels like a totally new experience. This is completely different from when I did the same poo poo, but with sand on the ground instead of leaves.

I guess it's just a thing like GTA and Assassins Creed play the latest entry and see all the sights. That stuff doesn't really entice me to play the next one though, but people seem very excited about possible new settings.

Why play video games, it's the same poo poo over and over again...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bholder posted:

Why play video games, it's the same poo poo over and over again...

Gaming, Gaming never changes...

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Fallout:Black Baja would kick rear end. I'd want some Central American action though, and I don't know if that really gels with the whole Dead America theme.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rakthar posted:

It depends on how much the developer really commits to the setting. New Vegas felt like it really owned its setting and I can't imagine the same game and the same characters taking place anywhere else. I think people are more interested in the idea of new settings than the reality of how they often turn out, sure, and it's also nice to see the new sights. But sometimes the setting can really inform the game in cool ways.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i'd like to see denver and the whole boulder city thing they were planning over at black isle. can't remember where i read it was their plan for fallout 4 after their fallout 3. probably NMA or something.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rakthar posted:

People are sub-sentient ape babies, and they get a giddy little thrill when they look at the screen and can yell "I GET THAT REFERENCE, THAT IS LIKE THE PLACE THAT I KNOW!".

And they at least pretend they have a connected world, so New York is out. DC people actually knew about Boston in 3 and show up there in 4, nobody thinks New York is a place that matters so it isn't. They could go north into Canada or further south, but a lot of the west is just dusted away from the coasts. They aren't just suddenly going to go "Oh and by the way there's a thriving community in New York that the highly advanced groups in DC and Boston just never knew about, even though they have like a million loving planes and it's nine seconds by air from Boston.".

Serf
May 5, 2011

I would love to see what's going on with places not in America, but then I remembered that Fallout is an essentially American fantasy, and nobody would make that game.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Wasn't Brotherhood of Steel set in the Texas Commonwealth? I'd love to see a modern Fallout set in Texas.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baronjutter posted:

Seattle or "PNW" would be an awesome setting. Maybe get some Canadian action going on.

Fight in the Great Northwest War! Side with the Republic of Cascadia or the Kingdom of Vancouver! Explore spooky redwood forests where the rads have changed things! Discover the terrifying secret of the delicious Gradola Bars everyone is talking about! Expunge the Hipster Infestation!

DLCs include Long Live the Queen, featuring Vancouver's capital on Victoria Island, and Inland Expedition, to find out why Bozeman has dropped out of contact.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Prophecy120 posted:

Wasn't Brotherhood of Steel set in the Texas Commonwealth? I'd love to see a modern Fallout set in Texas.

why

there's nothing there

Even Chicago seems like a more interesting setting

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

New Orleans and the Delta, IMO.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Anyone else looking forward to a Elder scrolls 6 with random Legendary enemies that drop items with tons of randomized effects?

And guncrafting turned into spellcrafting where you can modify a spell with components like bat wings, frog tongues, minotaur dongs and glue to get a whole bunch of different effects like a shotgun fireball, automatic fireball or sniper fireball.

And some spell that somehow copies the laser musket windup because that's amazingly satisfying to use.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 12, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Boogaleeboo posted:

People are sub-sentient ape babies, and they get a giddy little thrill when they look at the screen and can yell "I GET THAT REFERENCE, THAT IS LIKE THE PLACE THAT I KNOW!".

And they at least pretend they have a connected world, so New York is out. DC people actually knew about Boston in 3 and show up there in 4, nobody thinks New York is a place that matters so it isn't. They could go north into Canada or further south, but a lot of the west is just dusted away from the coasts. They aren't just suddenly going to go "Oh and by the way there's a thriving community in New York that the highly advanced groups in DC and Boston just never knew about, even though they have like a million loving planes and it's nine seconds by air from Boston.".

To be fair, if survival difficulty has taught me anything it's that it's just a struggle to stay alive in the wasteland. And that's before you factor in the rad storms slowly poisoning you to death or turning you into a ghoul, the rear end in a top hat mutants raging everywhere, and the wildlife. The latter of which is like Australia on PCP. And that's before you get into the fact that South Boston is basically a perpetually torched out warzone. So someone not knowing what's going on several miles away isn't unreasonable. Everyone that can is bunkered down.

The exception to this is if you found a settlement and set up a water purification business. At which point you can slowly eke your way to becoming a power armored demigod of the wasteland by virtue of your mad cash up until your settlement gets raided. I'm guessing raids scale off of defense because I had like fifty raiders swarm the place from all sides. Assholes literally circumvented the walls I made by swimming through a gap in the river walls to get at my sweet sweet water supply. Shame there were two dudes with power armor and miniguns waiting for them on the shores though. :black101:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 12, 2015

Serf
May 5, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

If they can make it even a little bit like Point Lookout then this would be an insta-buy.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Serf posted:

If they can make it even a little bit like Point Lookout then this would be an insta-buy.

Point Lookout was awesome. A good example of how changing the setting can actually be meaningful.

The Pitt was the opposite side of the spectrum.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Given how far the settings of Point Lookout and Pitt were from DC, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the DLCs for 4 was in Canada.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Anyone else looking forward to a Elder scrolls 6 with random Legendary enemies that drop items with tons of randomized effects?

And guncrafting turned into spellcrafting where you can modify a spell with components like bat wings, frog tongues, minotaur dongs and glue to get a whole bunch of different effects like a shotgun fireball, automatic fireball or sniper fireball.

And some spell that somehow copies the laser musket windup because that's amazingly satisfying to use.

But that's every Elder Scrolls.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

projecthalaxy posted:

People in Fallout New Orleans are still waiting on FEMA.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Serf posted:

I would love to see what's going on with places not in America, but then I remembered that Fallout is an essentially American fantasy, and nobody would make that game.

Sentient child-sized aztecas worshiping the ghoulified leaders of pre-war cartels that have set themselves up as living gods in the waterlogged tunnels under the radioactive jungle that ate Mexico City. The Enclave or some other American remnant is funneling weapons and poo poo to them by surgically implanting them into the bodies of kidnapped wastelanders which are then prodded south from the border into the killing desert at bayonet point for subsequent collection. PC insert, All American motivation. I'd play the hell out of it.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 12, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Serf posted:

Fallout: Seattle it is, then. We can visit iconic places like the Space Needle and Frasier's apartment!

Is there any NCR/Legion presence in Seattle? I think Obsidian will be exploring more of the Legion/NCR feud once they make their game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I assume I'll be dead long before we get around to Fallout: Atlanta. I'd wager that in the Fallout world the whole of Georgia is a mass of radioactive green slag or something though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Funky Valentine posted:

People in Fallout New Orleans are still waiting on FEMA.

I'd love to see FEMA turned, cargo cult style, into Fema, the great protector goddess who leaves her gifts of rations and coats around and can only be cajoled into giving more with the blood of outsiders.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

PantsBandit posted:

The Pitt was the opposite side of the spectrum.

For real. In fact all of the fallout DLCs have been bad, come to think of it.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I made it to Lexington and the Corvega Plant. Loving the hell out of this poo poo, it's such a cool area to explore. Good job Bethesda.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Captain Fargle posted:

I made it to Lexington and the Corvega Plant. Loving the hell out of this poo poo, it's such a cool area to explore. Good job Bethesda.

Make sure you explore the rooftops in Lexington thoroughly.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

revmoo posted:

I really liked Honest Hearts.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

revmoo posted:

Honest Hearts was good. Dead Money would've been great if the loving exploding collar wasn't there and you could go back.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

revmoo posted:

no

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Funky Valentine posted:

Honest Hearts was good. Dead Money would've been great if the loving exploding collar wasn't there and you could go back.

I think he meant Bethesda's DLC was bad, Obsidian's was really good.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Bugs in games happen but what gets me are bugs that are in plain sight and some tester HAD to have noticed yet someone willfully ignored fixing it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This thread moves fast and I dont know if the new monster factory was posted.

https://youtu.be/_1jGnFt78H8

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mortimer posted:

why

there's nothing there

Even Chicago seems like a more interesting setting

Dallas, Houston, and Austin are all each way more interesting than Chicago

The rest of Texas is a boring prairie, yeah. But its got some good cities.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

So far I'm really enjoying this game. I just got to Diamond City and had the usual quest explosion, which is always one of my favorite parts of these kinds of games. I've played around a bit with the settlement stuff. Seems interesting, and I like the idea, but the interface is clunky enough for now that I'll likely be doing minimal settlement stuff until my next game. I'm hoping in 6 month to a year, DLC/mods will have cleared up the settlement interface and added more options to make it both more badass and less frustrating to manage.

Only bugs I've noticed, apart from occasional clipping issues (especially with the sunglasses and my characters face) has been issues with changing weapons. Sometimes it seems like it takes a long time to swtich weapons, and I've even had my arms/gun model disappear once (could still fire/swing and do damage, just couldn't see them).

I like the new exp/perk system, I like the environment/atmoshpere, and its a gorgeous, colorful game. The enemies seem a lot quicker and more fluid moving than in 3/NV. Ghouls are actually frightening, and even mole rats with their digging (especially when you run into the ones with mines strapped to them). I love walking down a street in Boston, hearing gunfire up ahead, and scouting to try to figure out who is fighting who. I love the new sounds and visuals, especially when mini nukes get deployed in those street fights (that THWOMP noise plus the flash that briefly saturates everything, its cool).

I also like the loot system, and that they made all the junk you normally left behind useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So I've only found one debilitating glitch so far but its real bad.

I'm in the middle of the Silver Shroud questline and there's one area of northern Boston I simply cannot enter without a CTD.

No matter what angle I approach this one area of the map crashes instantly, so the quest isn't doable. Sucks.

• Locked thread