Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Starbrand & Nightmask looks not so great.
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/first-look-starbrand-and-nightmask-1/1100-154171/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That page is not very good. On the other hand the page where they transform looks cool. Also Greg Weisman is writing it so it's a must buy.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I liked every single thing marvel put out today (havent read star wars yet). Marvels loving killing it...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Blockhouse posted:

Carnage, Carnage USA, the Venom/Scarlet Spider crossover Minimum Carnage, Axis: Carnage, the Nova arc immediately after Axis

Also Deadpool vs. Carnage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

omnibobb posted:

I liked every single thing marvel put out today (havent read star wars yet). Marvels loving killing it...

Of the entire new launch there's not a single book I've read that isn't great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Carnage is the best ok.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Inverted Carnage is the best ok.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

I liked this week's Uncanny Avengers a lot better than the first issue. Having Duggan writing Deadpool and Cable on the same team will be fun. I'm always for them getting back together.

I'm actually way more interested in seeing Rogers and Cable interact. They're interesting mirrors of each other, both men out of time and old veterans, Cable is just way less idealistic and it could cause interesting friction.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Just finished Carnage #1. The premise is basically horrormovie.txt: some generic armybros try to trap Carnage using a woman who survived one of his massacres as bait. Eddie Brock hangs out and calls everyone idiots while Carnage kills the first wave of generic armybros. The issue ends with a new wave of generic armybros forming up to go chase Carnage down a hole. It wasn't terrible but it felt like it was just going through the motions of a generic Alien clone.

Also I am not a fan of the art (this is Eddie getting really excited to hear Carnage was wiping out some armybros)

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 12, 2015

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wait, Eddie's in this? I'm in.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I might stick with it till the team is all together but ANAD Avengers was a huge disappointment for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I might stick with it till the team is all together but ANAD Avengers was a huge disappointment for me.

Look at this guy with the worst opinion ever.

I mean did you read the backup bro? Did ya?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The story with Sam and Kamala was pretty adorable, and I like how Kamala is actually concerned about the damage super powered fights can actually do, while Sam was fully on teenage boy boner calling the shots and trying to show off. Though its really weird seeing Kamala drawn by someone other than the solo book artist, the one for that story made her look too sexy.

I love how Web Warriors refered to the 60s Spiderman universe as a non leathal area. "I hit the guy and there was a flash of light and now he's out!".

So many books today, still have to read Uncanny Avengers, Hawkeye, Ultimates and Spider-Gwen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Look at this guy with the worst opinion ever.

I mean did you read the backup bro? Did ya?

Yeah. I found it a little lame, though I love Ms Marvel proper.
The threat of the comic is really uninteresting, or at least presented that way to start with. I haven't read the Nova stuff the editor box was pointing to, if that helps any.

I think I enjoyed the FCBD thing a bit more, so I'll stick with the comic for now, but this one was really underwhelming.

twistedmentat posted:

its really weird seeing Kamala drawn by someone other than the solo book artist, the one for that story made her look too sexy.

I didn't like Kubert on the comic, but Asrar is great.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 12, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I also wasn't really into ANAD Avengers. The Ms. Marvel and Nova backstory was cute but it didn't really save the main story being a pretty unremarkable "getting the team together" story with a villain who (and this might just be because I don't recognize him, I don't know anything about the space/alien characters) seems to just be a generic big angry alien guy. I'll still check out #2 but it's not a great start imho. If it doesn't get better I'll probably drop it once Ms Marvel starts up again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

Though its really weird seeing Kamala drawn by someone other than the solo book artist, the one for that story made her look too sexy.

It was inevitable, sadly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

It was inevitable, sadly.

She has almost Adam Warren level lips.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I actually liked the A-plot of ANAD more than the backup. I mean, it didn't really do all that much, but it's setup, y'know? Whereas the backup tried (to me) too hard to establish the differences between the two characters and in doing so, way overemphasized them. Like, okay, Kamala's really invested in her neighborhood, but Sam's not a total shithead, they show him helping civilians too, but the story really wants us to know that he's the one that cares more about monster fighting while she's the community helper. So instead of cooperating at all (like telling Kamala to move so he can use his science gun), Sam wrecks a dry cleaner, then Kamala gets mad and relocates the monster to a conveniently placed vacant lot where they can fight like it's Dragon Ball Z. It feels forced is what I'm saying.

I will say I did like the payoff with the one page at the start of the issue featuring her slapping him with "Avengers Assemble" in caption, I guess I just didn't like how it got there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sam's a big dum doodyhead. :3:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

NPR did a piece on Stan Lee this morning, talking about his memoirs. He talked about creating the Fantastic Four (pretty much by himself) and described the Thing as a guy who looked like "chipped metal."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I actually liked the A-plot of ANAD more than the backup. I mean, it didn't really do all that much, but it's setup, y'know? Whereas the backup tried (to me) too hard to establish the differences between the two characters and in doing so, way overemphasized them. Like, okay, Kamala's really invested in her neighborhood, but Sam's not a total shithead, they show him helping civilians too, but the story really wants us to know that he's the one that cares more about monster fighting while she's the community helper. So instead of cooperating at all (like telling Kamala to move so he can use his science gun), Sam wrecks a dry cleaner, then Kamala gets mad and relocates the monster to a conveniently placed vacant lot where they can fight like it's Dragon Ball Z. It feels forced is what I'm saying.

I will say I did like the payoff with the one page at the start of the issue featuring her slapping him with "Avengers Assemble" in caption, I guess I just didn't like how it got there.

I don't read Nova, but I didn't get that Sam was careless or obsessed with being the best punchman at all. He was clearly trying to limit the damage and zap the monster with his shrink-ray, but got sidetracked by hormones and wanting to make a good impression on the cute girl that has a similar interest (aka putting on a dumb costume and beating up people dumber costumes).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So The Maker kept his lowercase speech bubbles in New Avengers, but Miles is using the standard 616 uppercase ones in Avengers. I doubt it means anything but for some reason I find it interesting.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Skwirl posted:

So The Maker kept his lowercase speech bubbles in New Avengers, but Miles is using the standard 616 uppercase ones in Avengers. I doubt it means anything but for some reason I find it interesting.
I think it's mostly up to the indvidual letterers/creative teams. Ms Marvel and Unbeatable Squirrel Girl use mixed case dialog for everything, for example. Using mixed case was a way for Ultimate Comics to differentiate themselves from the mainline books when they started, but I don't think there has been any official policy for a long time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

I don't read Nova, but I didn't get that Sam was careless or obsessed with being the best punchman at all. He was clearly trying to limit the damage and zap the monster with his shrink-ray, but got sidetracked by hormones and wanting to make a good impression on the cute girl that has a similar interest (aka putting on a dumb costume and beating up people dumber costumes).

Yea, Sam's internal dialog is very clearly "You idiot, you pissed her off with your showboating! You're such an idiot!" and it felt very teen boy trying to impress cute girl.

Spider-Gwen showing that Captain America in her world was a black woman named Sam Wilson and Peggy Carter became their Nick Fury is kinda awesome.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 12, 2015

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

DrProsek posted:

I also wasn't really into ANAD Avengers. The Ms. Marvel and Nova backstory was cute but it didn't really save the main story being a pretty unremarkable "getting the team together" story with a villain who (and this might just be because I don't recognize him, I don't know anything about the space/alien characters) seems to just be a generic big angry alien guy. I'll still check out #2 but it's not a great start imho. If it doesn't get better I'll probably drop it once Ms Marvel starts up again.

He pretty much is just a big generic alien guy. He showed up in the last issue of Nova's Pre Secret Wars series as a leader of the aliens he pissed off and had to fight and that was about it.

Also is Marvel going to make this a recurring thing where Nova just reveals his identity to people he just met? I mean, this is a HUGE step up from Carnage but still.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Sam's internal dialog is very clearly "You idiot, you pissed her off with your showboating! You're such an idiot!" and it felt very teen boy trying to impress cute girl.

Spider-Gwen showing that Captain America in her world was a black woman named Sam Wilson and Peggy Carter became their Nick Fury is kinda awesome.

On the Spider-Gwen front, is the 'Radioactive' on the covers an arc name or is it an official adjective in the title like 'Amazing', 'Uncanny', 'Unbeatable' etc?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

On the Spider-Gwen front, is the 'Radioactive' on the covers an arc name or is it an official adjective in the title like 'Amazing', 'Uncanny', 'Unbeatable' etc?

It's not a part of the title on the invoice, the book is just called "Spider-Gwen."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Secret Wars Too http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/secret-wars-too-1-marvel-comics-2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Fantastic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The previews for Illuminati suggested some Thunderbolts type shenannigans. What is it actually?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SynthOrange posted:

The previews for Illuminati suggested some Thunderbolts type shenannigans. What is it actually?

It's a fun book, not sure Thunderbolts is the comparison I'd make. The Hood is basically putting together a team of villains and has kind of forced Titania onto it by purposely messing up her attempt to rehabilitate herself. I enjoyed it quite a bit. But I'm also a fan of Williamson as a writer (Birthright and Nailbiter are so good).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I liked that Iron Fist tried to kung-fu her and then she just went "dude I'm Titania" and flattened him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Illuminati was the best book I read this week. Titania's gonna be a break out character if the book holds up.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So glad the art stopped melting in Uncanny Avengers 2 cause I'm ready for a C+D reunion :D

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was also pretty terrifying what happened to Quicksilver.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

twistedmentat posted:

It was also pretty terrifying what happened to Quicksilver.

I could barely get over the fact that, apparently, a plant is quick enough to catch the guy who moves at the speed of sound off guard.

It's the Flash problem, only slightly less so.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rhyno posted:

Illuminati was the best book I read this week. Titania's gonna be a break out character if the book holds up.

Yeah, I'm really rooting for her to just catch a loving break, even if she seems a lot more level headed and agreeable compared to every single appearance I've ever seen of her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, I'm really rooting for her to just catch a loving break, even if she seems a lot more level headed and agreeable compared to every single appearance I've ever seen of her.

I'm totally okay with them writing her in this direction even if it does fly in the face of her previous characterization.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

People making GBS threads on Scott can go to hell :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wolverine smugly picking his teeth with the claw is the best.

• Locked thread