Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

IronicDongz posted:

Also were you actually holding down the "wait one turn" button to rest instead of hitting the one that automatically waits up to 100 turns

I figured it out, it was a Windows setting under control panel > keyboard. The repeat rate was as high as possible, but the repeat delay (time between repeats) was set to 3/4. Kind of bizarre that there isn't a more granular control for that since it seems going from 3/4 to 4/4 is going from 'painfully slow' to 'blindingly fast' but eh it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

resistentialism posted:

Are FoCks immune to xom tele roulette?

Yes, only distortion-based teleports can affect them, since permastasis blocks the rest. You also dodge Xom slowing or paralyzing you as well!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I am very good at dying in crawl.

Death 1 - DEAK with 1 rune
Clearing snake4, casts a bunch of fireballs, then gazes into Crystal ball. Gets confused. Nbd, just wait it out while skellies bash on things. Oh there are two anacondas there. Oh all my buffs fell off. Oh I died in two hits. Rad.

Death 2. HEAs find +12 arty hand xbow then +8 arty arbalest. Know where this is going. Wander around lair killing everything. Go to get food, come back and explore a bit, get paralysed and die to a frog or something because I forgot my dude in game was actually starving.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Scaramouche posted:

I figured it out, it was a Windows setting under control panel > keyboard. The repeat rate was as high as possible, but the repeat delay (time between repeats) was set to 3/4. Kind of bizarre that there isn't a more granular control for that since it seems going from 3/4 to 4/4 is going from 'painfully slow' to 'blindingly fast' but eh it works.

You should hit the one that automatically waits up to 100 turns instead of holding down the "wait one turn" button to rest.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
code:
 The yaktaur shoots a bolt.
 The bolt closely misses you. The bolt hits the rakshasa!!
 The rakshasa dies!
Thanks bro.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

UP AND ADAM posted:

You should hit the one that automatically waits up to 100 turns instead of holding down the "wait one turn" button to rest.

Yeah. Just hit 5, not hold the '.' key or however you have it bound. That's a good way to die to quick OOD spawns or something.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Hello, I am ZeeToo. I am an orb of fire hunter.

And good thing, too, because there were at least nine in my game. :stonk: I didn't stick around Z5 to see if there were any in the other lung.

That was one of the nastiest Zot 5s I've ever seen. Several ancient liches, a ton of orbs of fire... good thing I had FDA, hat of the alchemist, vinestalker quickblade biting and an arbalest with silver bolts and portal projectile. It didn't help that when I picked up the orb, two Pan lords spawned before I could even get out of the lungs.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ZeeToo posted:

Hello, I am ZeeToo. I am an orb of fire hunter.

And good thing, too, because there were at least nine in my game. :stonk: I didn't stick around Z5 to see if there were any in the other lung.

That was one of the nastiest Zot 5s I've ever seen. Several ancient liches, a ton of orbs of fire... good thing I had FDA, hat of the alchemist, vinestalker quickblade biting and an arbalest with silver bolts and portal projectile. It didn't help that when I picked up the orb, two Pan lords spawned before I could even get out of the lungs.

My ogre assassin had 11. I did clear both lungs, though. There were six of them in the bottom quadrant of the first lung I cleared and they all showed up basically at the same time. I was surrounded by four of them at one point, but fortunately one thing ogres are good for is bashing orbs of fire.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Is it possible to still join a team this late in the tourney? And if so will a win I have before I joined still count for my team? If it will still count I'll join a team and go for 15 runes, if not I'm just gonna win with ten I guess.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Okay you slackers who haven't joined a team yet, come join team Better Late Than Nessos, a team for the true procrastinators among us.

Team Roster:
1) SetecAstronomy
2) Locke37
3) bananaken
4) static
5) PISS
6) puppykicker

To join, just add: # TEAMCAPTAIN SetecAstronomy to your 0.17 rcfile and post here with your Crawl login to let me know. Or don't; you've still got like 2 more days to join a team! Why hurry?

Edit: Team is full!

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 12, 2015

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Okay you slackers who haven't joined a team yet, come join team Better Late Than Nessos, a team for the true procrastinators among us.

Team Roster:
1) SetecAstronomy
2) Locke37
3)
4)
5)
6)

To join, just add: # TEAMCAPTAIN SetecAstronomy to your 0.17 rcfile and post here with your Crawl login to let me know. Or don't; you've still got like 2 more days to join a team! Why hurry?

Home sick today, so why not?

Question: Would a character I created after the tournament but before joining the team still give points, or should I splat this dude and start a new one? I hope I can keep him, he's a MiFi of Oka that can cast Statue Form in CPA before clearing Depths. Not safely, but that's half the fun

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Team Roster:
1) SetecAstronomy
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

I'm okay at Crawl but no guarantees I'll get many games in; if you don't mind add me in! I'm "bananaken" on webtiles.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Home sick today, so why not?

Question: Would a character I created after the tournament but before joining the team still give points, or should I splat this dude and start a new one? I hope I can keep him, he's a MiFi of Oka that can cast Statue Form in CPA before clearing Depths. Not safely, but that's half the fun

He counts. All games played during the correct time period count, even ones that died or won before you joined a team. (Or even if you never join a team at all - you've still got a player page.)

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Team Roster:
1) SetecAstronomy
2) Locke37
3) bananaken
4) static
5)
6)

This sounds like the team for me. I'm probably good for a win or two, maybe even some extended runes if they reimplement double melee damage or singularity! I'll be playingsplatting dozens of characters as static on cszo.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 12, 2015

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Team Roster:
1) SetecAstronomy
2) Locke37
3) bananaken
4) static
5)
6)

I've added you all as members in my rcfile, although I'm not sure these quick responses are really in keeping with the team's spirit. You sure you don't want to wait until tomorrow to join?

apple
May 18, 2003

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I've added you all as members in my rcfile, although I'm not sure these quick responses are really in keeping with the team's spirit. You sure you don't want to wait until tomorrow to join?

My first win will involve Cheibriados to make up for my inadvertent hurry

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Well, I still have 56 hours until I need to update my .rcfile, right?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Aaah, I hate decision paralysis. My last winning game had 20 shops by O:4. This game I've found 4 acquirement scrolls by D:15 as a DgCj and I've only used one.

I honestly don't know what to go for. It feels too early for Wands or Jewellery. I used the first on armour and probably shouldn't have because I'm a caster, but I got a SInv hat, which isn't terrible.

I cleared down to Orc:4 to see if there was something nice in the shops I could use gold for, but no. I have a staff of conj, books of tempests, annihilations, and earth. I guess I could go staves or books?

Next step is probably to equip that *Contam Falchion for rPois and hit the Swamp.
code:
odiv the Devastator (Demigod Conjurer)             Turns: 45207, Time: 03:46:54

Health: 122/122    AC: 14    Str: 17    XL:     16   Next: 9%
Magic:  34/41      EV: 17    Int: 29    God:    
Gold:   2041       SH:  8    Dex: 16    Spells: 7 memorised, 2 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     b - staff of conjuration
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     W - +1 leather armour of the Abyss {*Drain rElec rF++ rCorr}
rNeg   + . .     SustAt   +     N - +3 buckler of Complete Protection {rC+ Str+6}
rPois  .         Gourm    +     U - +2 hat {SInv}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     J - +2 cloak
rCorr  +         Warding  .     f - +1 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Stasis   .     d - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     +....                    i - amulet of the gourmand
Stlth  ++........               Z - ring of magical power
                                T - ring of Compulsion {rElec rN+ SInv}

@: quick, somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: high mp 1, sustain attributes
a: no special abilities

You are on level 5 of the Dungeon.
You are completely stuffed.

You have visited 4 branches of the dungeon, and seen 28 of its levels.
You have also visited: Sewer and Ossuary.

You have collected 3498 gold pieces.
You have spent 1457 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - the +3 rapier of Mutilation {pierce, rC+ Str+6}
 O - the +7 falchion of Axam {pain, *Contam rPois Dex+7 SInv}
Armour
 d - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
 f - a +1 pair of gloves (worn)
 J - a +2 cloak (worn)
 N - the +3 buckler of Complete Protection (worn) {rC+ Str+6}
 U - a +2 hat of see invisible (worn)
 W - the +1 leather armour of the Abyss (worn) {*Drain rElec rF++ rCorr}
Magical Staves
 b - an uncursed staff of conjuration (weapon)
Jewellery
 i - an amulet of the gourmand (around neck)
 l - an uncursed amulet of clarity
 n - an uncursed ring of ice
 s - an uncursed amulet of warding
 E - an uncursed ring of flight
 R - an uncursed ring of invisibility
 T - the ring of Compulsion (left hand) {rElec rN+ SInv}
 Z - a ring of magical power (right hand)
Wands
 g - a wand of digging (5)
 j - a wand of slowing
 r - a wand of cold
 u - a wand of teleportation
 I - a wand of lightning {zapped: 5}
 M - a wand of hasting (7)
 P - a wand of disintegration
 Q - a wand of fire {zapped: 2}
 V - a wand of fire
 X - a wand of paralysis {zapped: 2}
 Y - a wand of draining {zapped: 6}
Scrolls
 e - 12 scrolls of remove curse
 o - 9 scrolls of recharging
 q - 5 scrolls of blinking
 y - 2 scrolls of fear
 z - 2 scrolls of fog
 A - 4 scrolls of magic mapping
 C - 6 scrolls of teleportation
 F - 6 scrolls of identify
 S - 3 scrolls of acquirement
Potions
 h - 2 potions of agility
 k - 14 viscous amethyst potions
 m - 10 potions of heal wounds
 p - 5 potions of flight
 t - a potion of magic
 v - a potion of cure mutation
 x - 7 potions of might
 B - 3 potions of brilliance
 G - 2 potions of haste
 H - a potion of cancellation
 K - a potion of resistance
Comestibles
 c - 4 meat rations
 w - 8 chunks of flesh
 D - 2 beef jerkies
 L - 3 fruits

Skills:
 - Level 6.0 Fighting
 - Level 8.0 Dodging
 - Level 2.0 Stealth
 - Level 4.0 Shields
 + Level 7.6 Spellcasting
 + Level 15.6 Conjurations
 - Level 9.0 Charms
 + Level 13.7 Fire Magic
 - Level 10.0 Earth Magic

You have 2 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Magic Dart            Conj           ####         0%          1    None
b - Searing Ray           Conj           ######       0%          2    None
c - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           ########     1%          4    ##.....
d - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      #######.     1%          5    ####...
e - Bolt of Magma         Conj/Fire/Erth #######...   1%          5    ####...
f - Fireball              Conj/Fire      #######...   1%          5    ####...
i - Iron Shot             Conj/Erth      #######...   6%          6    ######.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 12, 2015

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Team Roster:
1) SetecAstronomy
2) Locke37
3) bananaken
4) static
5) PISS
6)

i might as well join a team so everyone can benefit from me being trash at this game

my name on webtiles is PISS

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Team Roster:
1) SetecAstronomy
2) Locke37
3) bananaken
4) static
5) PISS
6) puppykicker

Hey cool this is exactly what I was asking for. I also might need someone to babysit me through tomb since I haven't done it since all the new baddies got added into it. I still have 2 more hell runes to grab before that but seriously, I think I want someone to hold my hand through it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Got another 15 Rune bird win for Singularity Solidarity Society. That also will make the fourth Tengu win I have. I rather like them birdmen.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

:saddowns:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Seeing as we are all joining the team after you joined it, I'd say you have no room to talk :colbert:

Also just won on that MiFi! Time to try to win on harder dudes :ohdear:

apple
May 18, 2003

I ate the purple :saddowns:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
If I want to skip most of tomb, high power Lee's Rapid Deconstruction will break through the walls, right? I could just shatter my way in, but I'd like to maintain some LOS control.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

apple posted:

I ate the purple :saddowns:

You can solve this by eating more purple.

apple
May 18, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

You can solve this by eating more purple.

I did, looks a little better now :downs:

I almost auto-explored into my death here, why do new death cobs exist again?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

apple posted:

I did, looks a little better now :downs:

I almost auto-explored into my death here, why do new death cobs exist again?

Holy poo poo, how many turns did it take for those guys to starve you to death? Are you posting them hitting you four times in one turn and going from satiated to starving??

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Okay, got a Draconian to level 7. Never really played them aside from the occasional failed pre-Lair splat, but I figure I'd go Monk, focus Unarmed until 7, and see what type I get before choosing a god/specialization. I got... Green. :psyduck:

What are Green Draconians good for again? Poison Magic seems unreliable and lovely, though I guess Meph Breath might be useful. Help me, Crawl goons

apple
May 18, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

Holy poo poo, how many turns did it take for those guys to starve you to death? Are you posting them hitting you four times in one turn and going from satiated to starving??

Yeah, that's what happened when I turned around the corner as a Cheibro and encountered a death cob on the floor for the first time. Being slow aggravates the problem but it forces me to be Very Full/Engorged at all times which is kind of tedious. Maybe Chei should have some kind of resistance against starving attacks if the devs are adamant about keeping the super neo death cobs around..

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Not My Leg posted:

If I want to skip most of tomb, high power Lee's Rapid Deconstruction will break through the walls, right? I could just shatter my way in, but I'd like to maintain some LOS control.

Looks like it's not possible, or the chance is way too low on any given cast. I just shattered my way in instead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Okay, got a Draconian to level 7. Never really played them aside from the occasional failed pre-Lair splat, but I figure I'd go Monk, focus Unarmed until 7, and see what type I get before choosing a god/specialization. I got... Green. :psyduck:

What are Green Draconians good for again? Poison Magic seems unreliable and lovely, though I guess Meph Breath might be useful. Help me, Crawl goons

Meph breath is pretty useful and can get you through the early-mid game just fine. The thing about draconians is, their colour really doesn't matter. I mean its nice to get a good colour, but you don't need one. They can do pretty much anything, albeit with varying degrees of difficulty. You don't base your character around your colour, though in some cases it can help in deciding what you branch out too.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

IK's correct, but if you do feel like using your Poison apt, Parrow is one of the best spells in the game.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Ascended a VpMo yesterday. Vampires seem to be worse High Elves, except they get regen at satiated/alive, can use vamp weapons without penalties and have to do Spider in multiple visits since there's nothing in there that gives blood. I guess they also get swiftness on demand, although I never really used Bat Form. Having bad ranged apts makes it harder to get decent ranged options too for a melee start.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
code:
16241016 NotMyLeg the Petrodigitator (level 27, 195/199 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Assassin on Nov 11, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 12, 2015!

The game lasted 07:54:46 (96537 turns).
My first streak ever is now a three win streak after ascending a GrAs. I obviously picked GrAs because I thought it would be a winnable combo to continue the streak, but it's apparently my first Gargoyle win ever.

Also, now in both my fifteen rune games this tournament I nearly died to Lom Lobon and ended up just saying gently caress it and ninjaing the rune. Lom is a pain in the rear end.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lom Lobon Law Blog would be a good team name for anyone writing these things down

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Lom Lobon At Law, more like.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I believe I have finally encountered the first moment where I was saved due to having a wand of magic darts: low HP formicid vs a pack of blink frogs. Holy poo poo do I appreciate how magic dart never misses.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lom Lobon Law Blog would be a good team name for anyone writing these things down

Lom Lobon Lobs Law Bombs was a team name a version or two ago if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

I see Cerebov developed a taste for holy swine :btroll:

• Locked thread