Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Any place to reliably find a combat rifle near the start? I might reroll my character but that rifle has made my semi-auto snipermans real good at killin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Also the best weapon in my limited arsenal so far is Spray N' Pray. poo poo turns ghouls into paste in seconds.

I wandered into a den of Children of the Atom and got royally assrammed by radiation before I gave up. I'll be back in three levels you fucks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Somehow my health bar has disappeared on my HUD. Anyone know how to reenable?

e: came back after I levelled

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 12, 2015

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I just built a character like that in the builder. Here's what it looks like: http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=7e!15454!!933669a31213!7d624424!8b7353!!524

Keep in mind this is fully built-out assuming you'll reach level 50+ or whatever, and Gunslinger is just there to give you something to shoot if things get close and you're out of rifle bullets. I might do something like this for my next guy, depending. (You could take the points from Gunslinger and max out Animal Friend and Wasteland Whisperer if you want--could be fun to, like, sic a Yao Guai on some raiders.) I grabbed Medic because Stimpaks only heal 30% HP by default and just two levels of Medic doubles their effectiveness.

Also, I put points into Lone Wanderer assuming a loner who sneaks and snipes, for whom a companion wouldn't be very helpful. If you just want to shoot rifles and don't care about sneaking and sniping, you could drop Stealth, too, maybe grab some Strength instead for Armorer.

This is a good place to start. Thanks friend.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ImpAtom posted:

That's explained though? They're killing known or suspected synths as part of the test and using that to refine their test. They have that test, it's called "murder someone and see if they have synth parts when looting them."

poo poo I must have missed that part, because everything I saw was "No test yet devised can reveal someone as a synth" and I got the implication (or maybe I just inferred) that there's no way to know even post-mortem. I'm probably wrong though so yeah, thanks for helping clear that up!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Frankenoodle posted:

Genuine question: How can you say this? On Survival, a pack of 3 ghouls will instagib me if it weren't for Dogmeat distracting them as I shoot them with 65 laser blasts. I sometimes need to use every tactic and drug at my disposal just to live. That Corvega factory was especially intense. I had to bait them and use mines and molotov cocktails. In a straight up fight, two or three raiders will just kill me. I can usually get one in VATS before I really start hurting, and if there are two left when I'm out of AP, it's not a fight I'm going to win.

What are you doing differently that makes it easy?

In Fallout 3 and NV, the game eventually got easy when I had a killer Shishkebab or a .50 Sniper Rifle, but in Fallout 4 at level 10 or so, Survival is a bitch.

Yeah I had to use every trick in the book and save scum a ton to get through the Corvega factory, absolutely brutal as basically my first real quest. I had the crappy wanderer or what ever outfit and a gas mask and a handfull of pipe guns all with 0-15 ammo each. Was resorting to melee attacks and exploiting the AI to the maximum.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This it is.
Thanks for the suggestions!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

poo poo I must have missed that part, because everything I saw was "No test yet devised can reveal someone as a synth" and I got the implication (or maybe I just inferred) that there's no way to know even post-mortem. I'm probably wrong though so yeah, thanks for helping clear that up!

Yeah, it's easy to miss. The girl they captured actually is a synth. You can find out yourself if you let them kill her. I still killed them all because they're horrific sociopaths but still.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I found the coolest paint scheme

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Aww

https://twitter.com/Josh_Hamrick/status/664892465908834304

quote:

@Josh_Hamrick

That day @Obsidian gave me a cookie for my work on #Fallout4...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, the first FO4 nude mods are pretty :nws: rough :nws: :laugh:

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Palpek posted:

that's loving disturbing

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

My dog did not get his name :smith:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
How do I turn off the stupid slow mo bullet camera? It was cool at the beginning but now it's just charge into group of level -10 gunners in my power armor, do VATS shotgun to head and watch slow motion oneshot 10 times in a row. It's getting loving tiring.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Timeless Appeal posted:

So...

I have a tendency to restart games. I get a handle for the controls and mechanics after playing for a few hours, and then I restart the game with a better grasp of things. The problem is my PS4 copy won't let me do so. Every time one of my new characters tries to leave the pod, his body gets stuck and he can't move. It's a game ruining bug in the first fifteen minutes.

Might be a little late to the party on this one since it's from a few pages back - but I've had this thing happen to me on the PS4 (and PC for that matter). Power off your system (PS4). Not a restart or rest mode. A full power off restart. That cleared things up for me on the PS4 (and the PC).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ambaire posted:

How do I turn off the stupid slow mo bullet camera? It was cool at the beginning but now it's just charge into group of level -10 gunners in my power armor, do VATS shotgun to head and watch slow motion oneshot 10 times in a row. It's getting loving tiring.

It's not ideal but you can hit cancel while the animation is going on and it cancels out of it

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

Looks exactly like the first nude Skyrim mods, it's funny to watch the evolution.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dongattack posted:

Looks exactly like the first nude Skyrim mods, it's funny to watch the evolution.

It is, but I'd also rather not.
It's probably more disconcerting if they get really good.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

GIve it time, Goons. There will be labia and scrotal mods before we know it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ok guys I suck

Iam level 8, still around the starting area and I tried to go towards the quests that I have: cordega and Diamond city. I am getting my rear end handed to me by stunted yao guais and raider turrets, and my only decent weapons are the laser musket, double barreled shotgun and the 10mm pistol (all heavily upgraded since I got gun nut and science! but still it seems I can't kill poo poo fast enough)

Should I keep leveling a bit more before heading that way? Are there any easier quests to do before pressing on?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Frankston posted:

I found the coolest paint scheme

That says Noise Marine to me.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is it viable to be a high charisma character that speaks through missions? You could do this is NV but it seems like 4 is a lot more combat oriented.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is it viable to be a high charisma character that speaks through missions? You could do this is NV but it seems like 4 is a lot more combat oriented.

It is not. Eventually you'll have to fight.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Some quests have peaceful resolutions, many do not.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Absolutely not IMO, charisma seems like a useless dump stat. I came across a guy with a red persuasion attempt, cause i was interested in what it would look like at max charisma i cheated it to 10. It was still red.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

TorakFade posted:

Ok guys I suck

Iam level 8, still around the starting area and I tried to go towards the quests that I have: cordega and Diamond city. I am getting my rear end handed to me by stunted yao guais and raider turrets, and my only decent weapons are the laser musket, double barreled shotgun and the 10mm pistol (all heavily upgraded since I got gun nut and science! but still it seems I can't kill poo poo fast enough)

Should I keep leveling a bit more before heading that way? Are there any easier quests to do before pressing on?

I'd say screw those quests for now and just explore. As you do, you'll find better weapons, come across other, random, quests and level up in the process. I didn't hit Diamond City until like level 20.

Dongattack posted:

Absolutely not IMO, charisma seems like a useless dump stat. I came across a guy with a red persuasion attempt, cause i was interested in what it would look like at max charisma i cheated it to 10. It was still red.

I'm not even sure that red means it won't work, because during the first Brotherhood of Steel arc, I came across someone in a bunker and tried to convince him to do something. I had an orange response that worked, then another orange response that worked, and then the final choice was red, but I hit it anyway. I passed the check and he did as I asked.

Xeremides fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 12, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

projecthalaxy posted:

Just robbed a bank (or at least some bank robbers) in Lexington, which is rad. Also found an old Super Duper Mart, which I'm sure will be very simple and not terrifying at all to explore later.

Protip, don't do what I did. Follow the left wall instead if you're entering from the main entrance.

There's a computer in an alcove outside of the left entrance that you can hack to activate the Protectron for some help inside. I didn't find it until I was done with the place because I went right :doh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Charisma can still be pretty cool, but you can't rely on it as your main stat. Getting 6 CHA for Local Leader is awesome if you're into the settlement building, and the various "pacify/control enemies by pointing your gun at them" perks are really fun if they work. But you have to pair it with competent shooting or you're boned.

(I don't like that it's this way at all, but it's Bethesda :v:)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dongattack posted:

The color is just the difficulty of the persuasion, not the difficulty relative to your charisma.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man there are all these locations but I can't help that I am sometimes pre-running locations that will be quest locations in the future

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

blueberrysmith posted:

Side note, any advice on building a sniper?

The actual Sniper perk doens't seem worth it after using a sniper rifle for a while without it. Holding your breath uses some AP, and if you have high AGI, you have lots of it. The perk probably cuts the AP usage in half, but it's not that big of a deal. Also, the crosshair is completely unmoving when holding your breath, so the first part of the perk about being easier to aim must refer to not holding your breath. The knockdown is probably not great either. Only the third rank seems useful, which is a 25% boost to headshots in VATS. I liked this a lot in older games, but you need a high level to get it. Not sure it's worth it.

Refractor still seems good though, and eventually putting a point or two in PER for Penetrator or Concentrated fire could be good. Rifleman seems like an obvious choice to put points in.

Ninja from AGI is really good for bigger sneak attacks, as well as the Sneak perks.

This is what I took: http://www.nukahub.com/tools/special?build=73.3.8.6.7.2

I wanted Armorer, and I used the "You're SPECIAL" book in Luck for Bloody Mess. Science is also fun and a high INT helps with XP.

Reason posted:

I made the mistake of putting absolutely NO points in charisma so I will never be able to build new crafting tables in my town.

Sanctuary already contains every crafting table. Unless you have active, time-dependent quests, fast traveling eliminates the need to build these elsewhere.

Satorr posted:

All the dialogue checks being tied to charisma is really lazy and also difficult to make heads or tails of. I have failed yellow dialogue checks at 9 charisma. Do they depend on other stats as well? The game does not tell or even hint so it's impossible to know, and you don't get a second chance on them.

The color is determined by your CHA level, but it's always a random chance unless it's green. What was yellow for you would have been red (impossible) for me.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Swole Hitler playthrough going well so far

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

The color is just the difficulty of the persuasion, not the difficulty relative to your charisma.

Hm, that's really unintuitive if it's the case.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Harrow posted:

Charisma can still be pretty cool, but you can't rely on it as your main stat. Getting 6 CHA for Local Leader is awesome if you're into the settlement building, and the various "pacify/control enemies by pointing your gun at them" perks are really fun if they work. But you have to pair it with competent shooting or you're boned.

(I don't like that it's this way at all, but it's Bethesda :v:)

Yeah, CHA is basically just for town building. Fallout 4 is primarily a shooter with a single main combat focused chain of quests. The solution to every quest is shooting things, you don't find entire quests you can skip over or handle in very different ways due to skills you have or don't have like in NV.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Completely forgot to mention that apparently there's an achievement for having a mini-nuke thrown at you like a football. I got that one today. :stonklol:

TorakFade posted:

Ok guys I suck

If you just explore you'll find weird little areas to clear and side-quests to do. I managed to get through Corvega around that level, though it was tough and I died a few times. Building your settlements will also grant XP if you're close to a level and want another perk.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
This game is seriously loving awesome. I just upgraded my hardware and now instead of running at 15-30FPS I get a solid 60. It actually makes the game seem like it goes by faster, if that makes sense. In a way part of the mystery is gone. Somewhat depressing. Anyways, I've played for a day straight then took a break yesterday and am trying to get back into it, but I'm worried that I'm blazing through the Main Quest a bit too fast. I got to the part where I have to go into the field of radiation in a suit of power armor and I feel like wandering around a bit. I joined the Brotherhood of Steel around level 4 and quickly started collecting fusion cells for the unique Laser Rifle that generates crits faster and does 15% more crit damage, but now I've finally depleted my seemingly endless supply of fusion cells, and being that my character has 2 charisma, I've been reduced to using my combat rifle (or whatever it's called) that fires .45 rounds (I wish I didn't spray around 300 of those in an SMG, lesson learned), and while it does more damage, it does not fit my playstyle as well, since I don't get a crit every 3 shots being a Luck-based character, and I've found myself actually getting wrecked by enemies I used to easily mop up. I really want to go back to my Laser Rifle, but I'm just not sure where to get such a surplus of rounds, while firing those rounds, unless I explicitly fight insitute and gunner enemies.

On an unrelated note, how much per charge are your semi-automatic shots for whatever weapons you guys are using if you buy them at a store? I'm beginning to think dumping charisma was a huge mistake.

e: I'm around level 12-13 now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh also outside of Corvega are a ton of other raiders not related to the quest. I thought I was in the right area and ended up fighting a dude in power armor and a fat man with nothing but my dog, a machete, and a single mine. Spent almost an hour clearing out this raider checkpoint thing only to realize I could have just walked around it and even worse hell awaited me inside the plant.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

TorakFade posted:

Ok guys I suck

From what I've seen, Corvega is the first big fight of the early game. I regret not realizing this and I should have brought my power armor. I think that's what the designers were thinking, you walk around exploring & doing settlement building in normal armor, and you put on power armor to take on "strongholds" of enemies. A tip for turrets: use lasers, you can spend 30 rounds of .38 trying to kill one (plus 3 stimpacks if it can shoot you), or just 5 energy cells.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
How do I get the quest that deals with Diamond City Radio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

TorakFade posted:

Ok guys I suck

Honestly, just keep at it. The Laser Musket is what I used until I found better weaponry. Wander around the wasteland and don't explicitly pursue the main quest. You will undoubtedly stumble upon awesome weapons, even at a low level. This game feels similar to TES III: Morrowind in that way -- while a lot of stuff is leveled, you can still get gamebreaking weapons before hitting level 5. This happened to me. It appears that a lot of people are on the other side of the spectrum. My best advice? Freelance and do exploring, and pick up a side quest or two. You will be out of your rut in no time.

• Locked thread