Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Large, open outdoor areas are the worst case for a portal engine so I would be surprised if Daggerfall originally used one.

From what I remember the first thing he started was a Dark Forces engine. Then he started working on Blood and Daggerfall engines at the same time while DF was still in early alpha stages. Only later did he for some reason combine them all into XL.

I remain fairly skeptical about the whole thing because Blood by itself would be an enormous amount of work to reverse engineer. He promised to release the source code a long time ago but keeps coming up with excuses to push it back. I expect him to plug away for a bit (on all three games at once of course, so none of them get close to done) and get everyone excited before announcing that the XL engine will now support CyClones and Cybermage, doing some bare minimum hacking on that, then vanishing again for 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, I haven't thought about CyClones in years. Whoa, that brings me back.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In a perfect world he actually delivers on what he promises, and a Dark Forces mod scene starts up.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

In a perfect world he actually delivers on what he promises, and a Dark Forces mod scene starts up.
There is one already isn't there? I remember seeing pages with Dark Forces levels and stuff (just googled and found this) I'm tempted to run through the game myself since I bought it on Steam but never played it.

Also it's not an early FPS but I just played the UT4 pre-alpha and god drat not only does it look amazing it runs like a dream on high even on a GTX760.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, I used to be all about the Dark Forces mod scene. Obviously nowhere near as active as the Doom mod scene, and a bit restricted by the fact that the game doesn't let you save mid-level (and that each level needs its own BAT file), but there's some great stuff there. The page you linked to was the main hub for it back in the heyday, and I assume it still is.

I recall Mt. Kurek being one of the best ones.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, I thought it was actually called the XL engine? The box for Daggerfall (that I still own :smug:) says something like "Powered by XLEngine". :shobon:

Daggerfall's engine is the Xngine. XL engine is Lucius' stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cat Mattress posted:

Daggerfall's engine is the Xngine. XL engine is Lucius' stuff.

Ah, right... I would have realized this had I actually taken a look at the box again. Totally misremembered it, thanks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah, I used to be all about the Dark Forces mod scene. Obviously nowhere near as active as the Doom mod scene, and a bit restricted by the fact that the game doesn't let you save mid-level (and that each level needs its own BAT file), but there's some great stuff there. The page you linked to was the main hub for it back in the heyday, and I assume it still is.

I recall Mt. Kurek being one of the best ones.
I never got any of those working. Mind you that was 15ish years, I was 12 and didn't know what I was doing.

Midlevel saves and mouselook is a serious improvement and some really awesome stuff could be done with it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Midlevel saves might will mess with the whole lives system Dark Forces has, though - for better or worse.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm fine if we get proper mouse look and higher resolution, these two things at least.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

Midlevel saves might will mess with the whole lives system Dark Forces has, though - for better or worse.
Change all the bonus lives pickups to something else. It was a weird dynamoc for an fps anyway.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Man, the Quake Live 'training' is still poo poo. The first one is good, but the other two are basically "here's a video proving it's possible but not explaining how, now you do it."

Keiya fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 13, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That seems to be true for all games with grognardy fanbases and difficult controls. Il-2 Sturmovik's "training" consists of a text explanation of some of the very basics of flight while you watch someone else fly a plane. You can't actually do it yourself.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Yeah, true. Though it doesn't always help when there's excellent training anyway... Skullgirls covers basically everything you could want to know, but the fighting game genre is just impenetrable to me.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Keiya posted:

Yeah, true. Though it doesn't always help when there's excellent training anyway... Skullgirls covers basically everything you could want to know, but the fighting game genre is just impenetrable to me.

I checked out the tutorial for Skullgirls in the demo thinking it might help, but they really just had a bunch of movelists without a legend. That didn't really help me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shadow Hog posted:

If you're a big enough grognard to care about the lives system you won't be using mid-level saves anyway.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Keiya posted:

Man, the Quake Live 'training' is still poo poo. The first one is good, but the other two are basically "here's a video proving it's possible but not explaining how, now you do it."

Yup, and there's not even the text tutorial to go along with it anymore either. Sucks, but on the other hand we're well past the part in the game's lifecycle where new people are coming in so not a huge loss overall.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ahoy started a lengthy, polished series of videos on Retro FPS history. Wolfenstein is first up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSb87DC-PtA

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The worst Build Engine game (non-Redneck Deer Hunter division) is now on Steam.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wouldn't be so sure, there's always a worse Build Engine game.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Extreme Paintball 4.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

That's not Extreme Paintbrawl.

Edit: Or I could get beaten by double checking that EPB did use Build.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lr_8Titu5A

You guys are all wrong, it's totally Legend of the Seven Paladins 3D.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I could never get Extreme Paintbrawl to run because it needed a Windows launcher that thwarted my DOSBOXing efforts. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. :colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
DOSbox runs Windows, what are you waiting for?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'll loving fight you.

That's a strange game though, but is it really worse than TekWar?

Where's TekWarXL.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I was actually looking to find some even weirder asian Build Engine games. in particular, I remember seeing one that was a 3rd person, multiple character RPG that was... actually not as awful as you'd think, considering everything going against it. I'd like to find it and play it at some point.

There's a video of it on youtube, but hell if I remember the name to find it.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Colon Semicolon posted:

I was actually looking to find some even weirder asian Build Engine games. in particular, I remember seeing one that was a 3rd person, multiple character RPG that was... actually not as awful as you'd think, considering everything going against it. I'd like to find it and play it at some point.

There's a video of it on youtube, but hell if I remember the name to find it.
If you're looking for obscure shooters on YouTube, Marphitimus Blackimus is your man. This looks like your game, with an unfortunately generic, difficult-to-search-for title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wELcD1lGvg

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Yeah, that's definitely it there. Though apparently it's built on a modified doom engine rather than Build. my bad there!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Colon Semicolon posted:

Yeah, that's definitely it there. Though apparently it's built on a modified doom engine rather than Build. my bad there!
According to the original programmer, it was actually an original engine that used Doom's file formats so that he didn't have to build new level editing tools etc.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Definitely disagree with notion that WW II GI is the worst Build game. Extreme Paintbrawl definitely takes the cake, and this forgotten dreg is really close to bottom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGnjhyVELw

I have found an interview with the TNT Team http://dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/reviews-interviews/tnt-build-beginnings.html and it's kinda adorable that three modders made two commercial first person shooters released by a major publisher.

Also Devil Daggers was Greenlit, and new screenshots were posted: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/528160095/1447406088

laserghost fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 14, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently Night Dive were planning on doing a "speedrun contest" for NAM, where everyone who could prove that they actually beat the game fair and square would get some kind of prize for being some kind of superhuman.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

RiffRaff1138 posted:

If you're looking for obscure shooters on YouTube, Marphitimus Blackimus is your man. This looks like your game, with an unfortunately generic, difficult-to-search-for title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wELcD1lGvg

A Romance of the Three Kingdoms third person semi-Doom engine game ? I almost want to play this. With the sound off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Colon Semicolon posted:

That looks like it could be alright without that awful headbob.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

Apparently Night Dive were planning on doing a "speedrun contest" for NAM, where everyone who could prove that they actually beat the game fair and square would get some kind of prize for being some kind of superhuman.

I can do this. My life has purpose.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

laserghost posted:

Also Devil Daggers was Greenlit, and new screenshots were posted: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/528160095/1447406088

That looks and sounds awful :(

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

laserghost posted:

Definitely disagree with notion that WW II GI is the worst Build game. Extreme Paintbrawl definitely takes the cake, and this forgotten dreg is really close to bottom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRGnjhyVELw

My favorite part of the sordid history of Jesse Petrilla's awful games is that a commercial fully 3D one got modded by a jihadist group (Hezbollah, I think?) into "Night of Bush Capturing" where you kill American soldiers and George W. Bush instead of Iraqi soldiers and Saddam Hussein with a soundtrack of ear-splittingly loud and clipped Islamic worship music. Jesse Petrilla will have to play it in hell.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

laserghost posted:

I'm so glad that we've moved past lovely lazy pixel aesthetics and lovely Minecraft into lovely Quake knockoff art.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Woolie Wool posted:

My favorite part of the sordid history of Jesse Petrilla's awful games is that a commercial fully 3D one got modded by a jihadist group (Hezbollah, I think?) into "Night of Bush Capturing" where you kill American soldiers and George W. Bush instead of Iraqi soldiers and Saddam Hussein with a soundtrack of ear-splittingly loud and clipped Islamic worship music. Jesse Petrilla will have to play it in hell.

Petrilla also made a pretty cool demo for a full pirate themed TC for Duke3D, sadly only demo was released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipy7qGnEzXw

netcat posted:

That looks and sounds awful :(

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm so glad that we've moved past lovely lazy pixel aesthetics and lovely Minecraft into lovely Quake knockoff art.

Come on, it's not bad. I certainly prefer slightly pixelized polygons and Quake'sque atmosphere to cel shading or pseudo voxels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcturusDeluxe
May 15, 2006

I dunno, Devil Daggers looks pretty awesome to me. I hope it's more than just fighting monsters in a single flat arena though.