Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cythereal posted:

I'm in Florida. My sister works for the State College of Florida, Rick Scott's laboratory for eradicating public education. You see, the newly appointed dude in charge has a background running a construction company, so he's moving forward with making universities work like construction projects: when a slot for a professor opens up, prospective professors make bids on it, and the best (read: cheapest) bid takes the job.

This is some sort of hosed up satire or something right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ghetto wormhole posted:

This is some sort of hosed up satire or something right?

I loving wish. Rick Scott explicitly approves of this as a testbed of "how to make education more cost-efficient."

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I loving wish. Rick Scott explicitly approves of this as a testbed of "how to make education more cost-efficient."
Construction industry: known for being cost-effective.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cythereal posted:

I'm in Florida. My sister works for the State College of Florida, Rick Scott's laboratory for eradicating public education. You see, the newly appointed dude in charge has a background running a construction company, so he's moving forward with making universities work like construction projects: when a slot for a professor opens up, prospective professors make bids on it, and the best (read: cheapest) bid takes the job.

:stare:

Governor Voldemort keeps coming up with new and exciting enterprises.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Radish posted:

Does this ridiculous experiment "fail" at some point (and by that I mean like 25% unemployment or something) or is the Federal government going to keep subsidizing this madness?

The experiment cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cythereal posted:

That's uh... :staredog:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Boon posted:

Man, if the states are the laboratories of democracy then the ongoing experiment of supply-side economic theory in Kansas is proving beyond a shadow of a doubt the utter failure of the hypothesis

Chaadaev once said of Russia, that "We are one of those nations that somehow are not part of mankind, but exist only for the sake of teaching the world some kind of terrible lesson." I think at this point Kansas qualifies as the American equivalent.

Cythereal posted:

Didn't that get shot down somehow? I could have sworn that even in Rick Scott's Florida such a concept ended up being beyond the pale (or perhaps my mind rebelled against the concept to such a degree that it invented a better world in which such bullshit couldn't fly, and if so I'd thank you all for leaving me in this less-horrible fever dream rather than waking me to the nightmare of our reality).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Didn't that get shot down somehow? I could have sworn that even in Rick Scott's Florida such a concept ended up being beyond the pale (or perhaps my mind rebelled against the concept to such a degree that it invented a better world in which such bullshit couldn't fly, and if so I'd thank you all for leaving me in this less-horrible fever dream rather than waking me to the nightmare of our reality).

My sister said on Thursday that it's still happening, it's why she's been trying to find a job elsewhere. Guess I'll hope she's mistaken.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cythereal posted:

My sister said on Thursday that it's still happening, it's why she's been trying to find a job elsewhere. Guess I'll hope she's mistaken.

I asked you not to wake me! :mad:

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

kiimo posted:

I am still in disbelief that this clown was reelected.

Scott walker survived election recall even though he's burning his state down differently, people "didn't like" the idea of recall elections. He is supported by people whose unions and pensions he is vocally trying to destroy. Chris Christie. Voldemort. LePage.

The American electorate votes on spite and nothing else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Toasticle posted:

Scott walker survived election recall even though he's burning his state down differently, people "didn't like" the idea of recall elections. He is supported by people whose unions and pensions he is vocally trying to destroy. Chris Christie. Voldemort. LePage.

The American electorate votes on spite and nothing else.

Also, the Florida Democratic Party is a joke and being a Floridian I have a really hard time blaming people for being apathetic about that vote because the Democratic candidate was literally a Republican.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Crows Turn Off posted:

"We've tried everything - we've cut social services, we've cut the education budget, we cut social services again, we cut education again.... I guess the only choice now is to cut social services and education again."

Whenever most authoritarian regimes start feeling purgey, they usually go after the intellectuals and other assorted smart people. Dumbasses are actually more pliable and easily led, which makes them perfect for a support base as long as they're kept fed and relatively contented.

So whenever I see Republicans like ol' Voldemort trying to burn down school budgets, it doesn't come as a shock to me.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

kiimo posted:

In KS the "R" stands for "re-elect 'em" and "D" stands for "Don't vote for 'em"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cythereal posted:

Also, the Florida Democratic Party is a joke and being a Floridian I have a really hard time blaming people for being apathetic about that vote because the Democratic candidate was literally a Republican.

What is wrong with the national party that letting state parties decay like in Kansas, Florida, and Texas seems like acceptable behavior?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Cyclical thinking. We're never going to win in X state, so why fund the party there instead of in Y state where the odds are closer, so we're never going to win in X state...

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

Cyclical thinking. We're never going to win in X state, so why fund the party there instead of in Y state where the odds are closer, so we're never going to win in X state...

But isn't Florida a swing state? Couldn't Democrats do well there if they tried? It's weird that they seem to have given up completely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Abilifier posted:

But isn't Florida a swing state? Couldn't Democrats do well there if they tried? It's weird that they seem to have given up completely.

The Democrats absolutely could do well if the state Democratic Party wasn't a complete trainwreck. It's one of the things that's always puzzled and frustrated me about this state. Every Democratic Party thing I've been to has been full of old white dudes who are basically slightly less insane Republicans, and I've been told more than once "We don't want to rock the boat."

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The only voting blocs and industries that matter in florida are tourism and old people trying to keep themselves alive. And construction, but only because of tourism and old people moving here. This badly distorts the state's politics.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

30.5 Days posted:

The only voting blocs and industries that matter in florida are tourism and old people trying to keep themselves alive. And construction, but only because of tourism and old people moving here. This badly distorts the state's politics.

What about Cubans? Compared to most Hispanic Groups, don't Cubans tend to vote more conservative?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Forceholy posted:

What about Cubans? Compared to most Hispanic Groups, don't Cubans tend to vote more conservative?

The old ones (i.e. mostly people who left in the immediate wake of Castro back in the 50s/60s) do, but the younger ones vote democrat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nintendo Kid posted:

The old ones (i.e. mostly people who left in the immediate wake of Castro back in the 50s/60s) do, but the younger ones vote democrat.

This. It's why Obama's move to normalize relations with Cuba would have been a brilliant move if the Democrat Party in Florida wasn't a joke. Cuban-Americans in Florida are steadily turning from a red bloc to a blue bloc as the "gently caress communists" generation dwindles and the new generation asks "Which party is more likely to recognize that I'm a human being?"

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Radish posted:

Does this ridiculous experiment "fail" at some point (and by that I mean like 25% unemployment or something) or is the Federal government going to keep subsidizing this madness?

I was asking about this on page 13; is there actually some mechanism by which a sitting governor can be removed for blatant incompetence or will the fed just let him muddle through a second term? I mean Brownback is basically harming the Union by running Kansas so poorly at this point, so what recourse do other states or the fed have for correcting this? Just wait it out?

Like outside of full-blown secession, I don't think we've had a state-level governance crisis like this in more than a century. What exactly are the legal precedents for all this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SpaceDrake posted:

I was asking about this on page 13; is there actually some mechanism by which a sitting governor can be removed for blatant incompetence or will the fed just let him muddle through a second term? I mean Brownback is basically harming the Union by running Kansas so poorly at this point, so what recourse do other states or the fed have for correcting this? Just wait it out?

Like outside of full-blown secession, I don't think we've had a state-level governance crisis like this in more than a century. What exactly are the legal precedents for all this?

In theory the federal government can take direct control of a state - this was for instance done in the rebel states after and during the civil war. But the state's gotta be doing some really hosed stuff to get to the point where the feds would do that.

To actually get rid of him, the easiest way would be catching him dead to rights on some manner of crime that requires jail time, in the federal system.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo posted:

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article27951310.html

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 12, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is why electronic voting is a garbage idea.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It would be great if the code was open-source, but of course that's not gonna happen because there wouldn't be any profit in that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

I'm surprised they're not saying that they don't have enough money to go through all the paper records or something like that

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Abilifier posted:

The Democrats got wrecked in the 2010 governor race (20% compared to 30% from Charlie Crist running independent) and outspent by a large margin when they selected Crist as the runner in 2014. There's just not a good pool of candidates.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

enraged_camel posted:

It would be great if the code was open-source, but of course that's not gonna happen because there wouldn't be any profit in that.

Open source is no defense against manipulation.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
There are issues that the Democratic party could push that could loosen the GOP's hold on the south and border states but it would require them to seriously advocate policies that the people who fund their campaigns would not support, so it's not happening.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maarek posted:

There are issues that the Democratic party could push that could loosen the GOP's hold on the south and border states but it would require them to seriously advocate policies that the people who fund their campaigns would not support, so it's not happening.

Yeah for instance: being racist, repealing aca and replacing it with nothing, crushing labor unions, bashing the gays, crushing all government funding besides cops and troops.

If only they weren't being held back!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Open source is no defense against manipulation.

Yes, I know. But everyone in the world having at least read-only access to the source code makes it much easier for third-parties to audit it. It's a heck of a lot better option than closed-source-that-no-one-can-ever-see.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

enraged_camel posted:

Yes, I know. But everyone in the world having at least read-only access to the source code makes it much easier for third-parties to audit it. It's a heck of a lot better option than closed-source-that-no-one-can-ever-see.

You're not getting it. You don't do the manipulation using the software that was made public - and aside from that plenty of audits have missed massive flaws for years.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Country/midwest folk genuinely, absolutely, not one iota give a gently caress about fiscal conservative. It's the baggage bundled along the parts they want/think they want (being racist, inflictung protestant christian values).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
The KS legislature got an 8.5% increase in their stipend this year. I wonder if that money is going to come from school funding, KPERS, social programs or if it will be conveniently handwaved away

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SalTheBard posted:

The KS legislature got an 8.5% increase in their stipend this year. I wonder if that money is going to come from school funding, KPERS, social programs or if it will be conveniently handwaved away

This after they cut their pay 5% back in 2010, which is why for their current term they only get $217.66 per day

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wanamingo posted:

This is why electronic voting is a garbage idea.

No, electronic voting is a good idea, it just has to print a receipt that the voter confirms then deposits in a second box that can be used to confirm the electronic total.
Of course that only covers the vote count, none of the myriad of other ways to cheat an electronic vote. But they're all solvable with time and money, neither of which are easily available it seems.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Country/midwest folk genuinely, absolutely, not one iota give a gently caress about fiscal conservative. It's the baggage bundled along the parts they want/think they want (being racist, inflictung protestant christian values).

This is extremely untrue. Most anyone whose grandparents grew up in the Midwest or Plains during the Dust Bowl and Great Depression is thrifty and fiscally conservative almost to a fault.

Edit: when your grandparents grew up in a sod house heated by burning dried cow poo poo, wearing clothes made out of flour and sugar sacks, that tends to resonate to your parents' generation very strongly and so on.

Certainly there are plenty of rural Midwesterners who are reckless with their money but fiscal conservatism goes very deep culturally.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 13, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Nintendo Kid posted:

This after they cut their pay 5% back in 2010, which is why for their current term they only get $217.66 per day

Ahh ok so it's really an increase of 3.5% from the 2010 rate? I can kind of stomach that a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SalTheBard posted:

Ahh ok so it's really an increase of 3.5% from the 2010 rate? I can kind of stomach that a little more.

3%, but yeah same difference.

Note that Kansas also does some fuckery so that long term legislators are eligible for a pension that usually pays much more a year than they actually get:

This while they've been cutting and threatening to cut the pensions of state employees who don't get to work part time and manipulate their pension calculations.

• Locked thread